Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes babynames:

A couple more to my pre-existing list

Maud
Tatiana
Oliver

But if I was really willing to put money on it I'd go A Girl: Sophia, Alice or Charlotte and for a Boy: Arthur or Theodore. I don't know they are very pretty names, suitably 'royal' whatever that means, but quite simple.

Oliver as in Oliver Cromwell?
Tatiana brings to mind Andrea Cassiraghi's fiance.
Theodore: not really certain where this one comes from

Many of your names on your earlier list I have similar issues with. Many of the names like Matew or Anton have no royal pedigree, and others like Stephanie or Felix, in other countries, but not in the BRF.

I think for a younger child they may go more remote, but even then I'd think family names. As the future monarch, This one will have a pretty traditional name IMO.

I see them possibly avoiding Catherine, Eleanor and Elizabeth as a first name, due to Leonor, Catharina-Amalia and Elisabeth, who will be queen at the same time.I know there can be two with the same name (Gui and William, two Alberts, Felipe and Philippe) but I think W and K will want a more unique. Elizabeth I have no doubt will be used in the middle.

Girls:
Alexandra
Mary
Victoria
Alice
Elizabeth (middle)
Diana
Frances
Philippa
Caroline
Charlotte
Margrat
Adelaide
Sophia
Eleanor (but as a middle name)
Cecilia
Amelia

boys:
Arthur
Edmund
George
Philip
Charles
Michael (middle name)
Andrew
David
Robert
Richard
Henry
James
Peter

Godfathers: Harry, Hugh van Cutsem and either Pavlos or Peter
godmothers: Pippa and Bea

I see them possibly avoiding Catherine, Eleanor and Elizabeth as a first name, due to Leonor, Catharina-Amalia and Elisabeth, who will be queen at the same time.I know there can be two with the same name (Gui and William, two Alberts, Felipe and Philippe) but I think W and K will want a more unique. Elizabeth I have no doubt will be used in the middle.

Girls:
Alexandra
Mary
Victoria
Alice
Elizabeth (middle)
Diana
Frances
Philippa
Caroline
Charlotte
Margrat
Adelaide
Sophia
Cecilia
Amelia

Wouldn't the above logic rule out both Alexandra and Amelia?

Norway's future queen is Ingrid Alexandra, and you already mentioned Catharina-Amalia.

Personally, I've long thought that Victoria is probably the front-runner, though Charlotte or Sophia are definitely possibilities.

I don't think the Elisabeth/Elizabeth thing would be that big of a deal.

I think there's more of a chance that Belgium ceases to exist as a country by time it would become any sort of an issue. Besides, one would be Elizabeth III and the other would be plain old Elisabeth. There are two Albert II's.

Norway's future queen is Ingrid Alexandra, and you already mentioned Catharina-Amalia.

Personally, I've long thought that Victoria is probably the front-runner, though Charlotte or Sophia are definitely possibilities.

Ingrid is not likely to rule as Ingrid Alexandra. Her father was known as Haakon Magnus as a child, and now is simply Haakon. And while CA is likely to reign as Queen Catharina-Amalia, as her father willl use his full, the inclusion of Catharina, makes it a very different name. Having a queen Catharina-Amalia and a Queen Amelia, IMO is very different then two Queen Elizabeths. But Amelia for me is really only a likely middle name, I don't see it being used as a first name for baby Cambridge.

The argument for the two Alberts isn't strong. Albert of Monaco is a different generation. He is only two years older then Phillippe, the Albert II of Belgium's heir. There are a number of heirs with variations of the same name (Felip and Philippe, Gui and William) but recently there has been a move towards more modern names.

IMO while Elizabeth will be used, Kate and Will will want their daughter to have her own name, not share it with another future queen. With the exception of Victoria as Vikan is another generation.

IMO while Elizabeth will be used, Kate and Will will want their daughter to have her own name, not share it with another future queen. With the exception of Victoria as Vikan is another generation.

What ever name William & Catherine give their child will be that childs "own name". I don't understand why people seem to insist that the naming of a British princess has any connection to the name of some continental child. European royalty are practically unknown in the UK, and even if William & Catherine give their child a name that is already in use on the continent no one would confuse the two. The British child will be known worldwide, the continental child will be lucky to be known outside of their own country or region.

The argument for the two Alberts isn't strong. Albert of Monaco is a different generation. He is only two years older then Phillippe, the Albert II of Belgium's heir. There are a number of heirs with variations of the same name (Felip and Philippe, Gui and William) but recently there has been a move towards more modern names.

The two Albert II aren't from the same generation, but they're reigning at the same time, so that can cause some confusion.

King Felipe VI of Spain and King Philippe of Belgium will reign at the same time, but the regnal number will make the difference.

I don't think Baby Cambridge will reign at the same time of Queen Victoria of Sweden, so, there's no problem with a Queen Victoria II.

But I don't think we'll see a Queen Victoria II. The name is so much associated to Queen Victoria.

Oliver as in Oliver Cromwell?
Tatiana brings to mind Andrea Cassiraghi's fiance.
Theodore: not really certain where this one comes from

Many of your names on your earlier list I have similar issues with. Many of the names like Matew or Anton have no royal pedigree, and others like Stephanie or Felix, in other countries, but not in the BRF.

I think for a younger child they may go more remote, but even then I'd think family names. As the future monarch, This one will have a pretty traditional name IMO.

Girls:
Alexandra
Mary
Victoria
Alice
Elizabeth (middle)
Diana
Frances
Philippa
Caroline
Charlotte
Margrat
Adelaide
Sophia
Cecilia
Amelia

boys:
Arthur
Edmund
George
Philip
Charles
Michael (middle name)
Andrew
David
Robert
Richard
Henry
James
Peter

Godfathers: Harry, Hugh van Cutsem and either Pavlos or Peter
godmothers: Pippa and Bea

I just took them from a list of popular Victorian names. I figure it will be traditional but the kids name will probably actually be Alice, Charlotte, Sophia or Arthur, Stephen or George. I don't see it realistically been that different from one of those.

It would also be absolutely ridiculous of them to avoid a name they really like just because a future King/Queen is named the same thing. I think everyone are going to be able to survive having a Queen Elizabeth III and a Queen Élisabeth, or a Queen Eleanor and a Queen Leonor. It's not like there's gonna be any confusion.

It would also be absolutely ridiculous of them to avoid a name they really like just because a future King/Queen is named the same thing. I think everyone are going to be able to survive having a Queen Elizabeth III and a Queen Élisabeth, or a Queen Eleanor and a Queen Leonor. It's not like there's gonna be any confusion.

Good point! We did all get over Estelle and Athena, and I was not sure we would.

If we end up with two Good Queens Bess, we can just go Queen One and Queen Two. I can see a children's book to remind us there are two:

Queen One and Queen Two
They were stuck in the house
They had nothing to do.....

Richard is just one of those names that's pretty out of fashion these days. Most of the royal boys' names are very much 'in' (Harry, William, George etc.), but Richard is one of the few which is not.

A name can be as out of fashion as you like until someone famous gives it to their child!!!

A name can be as out of fashion as you like until someone famous gives it to their child!!!

True!
Whatever William and Kate choose will undoubtedly be given to hundreds of babies.

How many people, outside the Benelux knows who is the current Belgian Monarch? Not many, and I doubt this situation will change in the next 70 years (we even don't know if Belgium will still exist).

The British Monarch will never be confused with one of his continental counterparts.

I can't see Sophia being used because of the Countess of Wessex, but I can see Sophie as a middle name perhaps. I still like Charlotte and hope that is their choice for a girl.

The child's name will be made popular, particularly if it's not one already in the top 10 names, but I imagine it will be a traditional yet modern name. e.g. Charlotte or Amelia

I can't see Sophia being used because of the Countess of Wessex, but I can see Sophie as a middle name perhaps.

Sophia can be quite distinct from Sophie, particularly if pronounced in the traditional English way, ie So-fye-a rather than So-fee-a. I don't see it as a front-runner though.

I've been a Mary fan, followed closely by Victoria, but lately Alexandra has become a favourite choice of mine.
I don't know why, but Alexandra suits more the image of Catherine and William, weird isn't it?

I'm increasingly a Mary fan. It's been used by a Queen regnant before, plus it's a nice tribute to HM without being the obvious one.

Mary is a very pretty name. Princess Mary, Queen Mary. It works.

I'd like to see Princess Mary Elizabeth myself.

Sophia can be quite distinct from Sophie, particularly if pronounced in the traditional English way, ie So-fye-a rather than So-fee-a. I don't see it as a front-runner though.

So-fye-a? I'm from England, and I go to school with a Sophia, and I've never heard the name pronounced any other way than So-fee-a - well, perhaps slightly more Suh-fee-a with the accents down here, but still.

I'm not even sure how So-fye-a would be pronounced? Is it kind of So-fire / Sof-eye-a?

Never heard of "so-fye-a", So-fee-a has always been the pronounced term where I'm from.

I'm not even sure how So-fye-a would be pronounced? Is it kind of So-fire / Sof-eye-a?

So-fi-a, sounds about right.

Never heard of "so-fye-a", So-fee-a has always been the pronounced term where I'm from.

I've just looked on Behind the Name, and it says that Sof-eye-a is indeed an old-fashioned British English pronunciation. You learn something new every day!

In any case, I prefer it pronounced So-fee-a [after all, it's Sophie / So-fee with an A on the end!], and I think anyone who pronounced it with an I sound instead of an E sound would have to put up with it being mispronounced all the time, and with people not knowing they mean Sophia when they say their name.

In the 18th Century in English speaking countries, "Maria" was pronounced like the modern day "Mariah." So I would not be surprised if "Sophia" or any girl's name now pronounced "ee-ya" was then pronounced "eye-ya"

So-fee-ya with a low E (like in Century) sounds in Portuguese "Sou feia" (means: I'm ugly).
I like Sophia spelled like Sophie but with a a at the end, my second name is Sophia (in fact in Portuguese is written Sofia, and is spelled like I just said and is the one I like best)

I like Sophia spelled like Sophie but with a a at the end, my second name is Sophia (in fact in Portuguese is written Sofia, and is spelled like I just said and is the one I like best)

Do you mean Sophiea?

Yes, Sophie+a, but without the e sound, so in the end is Sophia, just like is Sofia. (Infanta Sofia name is pronounced the same)

Yes, Sophie+a, but without the e sound, so in the end is Sophia, just like is Sofia. (Infanta Sofia name is pronounced the same)

I don't get it, is this supposed to be different from the everyday Sofia? :ermm:

And I thought I knew how to pronounce it and it was straightforward :lol:

In the 18th Century in English speaking countries, "Maria" was pronounced like the modern day "Mariah." So I would not be surprised if "Sophia" or any girl's name now pronounced "ee-ya" was then pronounced "eye-ya"

That's correct, it was. It sounds unfamiliar to our modern ears, but before the 20th century the English pronunciation of Maria and Sophia rhymed with 'fire' or 'higher'. Somewhere along the way it became fashionable and then customary to use the Italian pronunciation for both these names. The old pronunciation of Maria lingered on in the term "Black Maria" for a prison van.

It doesn't surprise me that people are saying that they never heard this pronunciation of Sophia. I first heard it in English literature lessons at school when we read the 18th century novel Tom Jones in which the heroine is Sophia. We were surprised when our teacher read it aloud, but she explained to us that that is how the name was said in 1749 ....

I've just looked on Behind the Name, and it says that Sof-eye-a is indeed an old-fashioned British English pronunciation. You learn something new every day!

In any case, I prefer it pronounced So-fee-a [after all, it's Sophie / So-fee with an A on the end!], and I think anyone who pronounced it with an I sound instead of an E sound would have to put up with it being mispronounced all the time, and with people not knowing they mean Sophia when they say their name.

That would certainly be true for most people. But I think that if the Cambridges decided on this name and pronunciation for a daughter, it would be a talking point and people would very quickly get used to it. It could change the fashion again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom