Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She would have to spell it, because I doubt that I am the only one who is more familiar with the spelling Cecilia.

Anyway I think "Princess Cecilia" sounds awful. Even if you don't have a lisp.:lol:

Yes, Cecilia is the correct spelling. Cecelia is a combination of Cecilia and Celia, two unrelated names. I like Cecilia, but I agree that "Princess Cecilia" sounds awful.

Yes, Cecilia is the correct spelling. Cecelia is a combination of Cecilia and Celia, two unrelated names. I like Cecilia, but I agree that "Princess Cecilia" sounds awful.

I found five Princesses with this name or its variations:

Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark (1911-1937); who is one of the Duke of Edinburgh's sisters.
Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1540-1627).
Princess Cecilia of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilie of Baden (1839-1891); who became Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna of Russia.
Olga Feodorovna of Baden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1807-1844).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Cecilia_of_Sweden_(1807–1844)

Princess Cecylia Lubomirska (1907-2001).
Princess Cecylia Lubomirska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't think Cecilia will be one of Baby Cambridge's name.

I think "Princess Cecilia" sounds fine in languages like German, but not English.

How about Princess Alana (Honey Boo-Boo's real name).

How about Princess Alana (Honey Boo-Boo's real name).

Well if Honey Boo-Boo's name is an option then we'll include some of the Duggar's names too. Princess Joy-Anna Johanna Jessa Jinger Jordyn :D OR Prince Justin Jedediah Jeremiah. I never understood why they had children with similar sounding names (Joy-Anna and Johanna, Jeremiah and Jedediah - but that is a whole other conversation topic.)

Well if Honey Boo-Boo's name is an option then we'll include some of the Duggar's names too. Princess Joy-Anna Johanna Jessa Jinger Jordyn :D OR Prince Justin Jedediah Jeremiah. I never understood why they had children with similar sounding names (Joy-Anna and Johanna, Jeremiah and Jedediah - but that is a whole other conversation topic.)

I know that has driven me nuts to. Also Josh,Josiah,Josie.

But Joanna is a form of Joan, and Henry IV's wife Joan was also known as Joanna. And they have a son John David, a double royal name there.

You'll never see a male child in the BRF given the name John. It's considered extremely unlucky.

Elizabeth is not exactly a name that's been used very often by the BRF. We've only had two sovereigns with the name, as opposed to 8 Henrys, 8 Edwards, 6 Georges etc.

It would be rather odd to have to start referring to 'Queen Victoria I' if they choose her name for their first child. Although, given the reverence with which Queen Victoria is still remembered by the royals (e.g. maintaining Balmoral almost exactly as she left it), they might decide to leave her as the only Victoria.

All the talk of wanting something 'unique' misses the point somewhat, I feel. This child is a future monarch. That must be uppermost in William and Kate's thoughts when picking a name. It has to be a name that will command respect and stand the test of time. No British version of 'Queen Estelle' please.

Elizabeth is not exactly a name that's been used very often by the BRF. We've only had two sovereigns with the name, as opposed to 8 Henrys, 8 Edwards, 6 Georges etc.

I think it's just because very few sovereigns (in comparison) have been female (due to the succession laws).

Aside from Elizabeth I, there was Princess Elizabeth of Wales, daughter of Frederick, Prince of Wales and sister of George III, then there was The Princess Elizabeth, daughter of George III, then Princess Elizabeth of Clarence, daughter of the future William IV, who would have become Queen over Victoria had she lived. So it's really just as "common" as any other female name.

Elizabeth is actually one of the most popular names for an English/British princess.

A look at the names of the monarchs, children of monarchs, and the consorts of monarchs, the most popular names to use are:

Boys
- Henry (19 times)
- Edward (17 times)
- William (16 times)
- George (14 times)
- Frederick (9 times)
- Albert and John (7 times each)
- Arthur, Richard, Philip, and James (5 times each)

Girls
- Mary/Marie/Maria (18 times)
- Elizabeth (12 times)
- Anne (11 times)
- Katherine/Catherine (10 times)
- Eleanor and Matilda (8 times)
- Margaret and Joan (7 times)
- Sophia/Sophie and Isabel/Isabella (6 times)

Just to note, I did look at children who didn't survive infancy, but not illegitimate children. I also used middle names in the case of sovereigns and the current Wales/Cambridge family, but not the rest of the Mountbatten-Windsors or the children of earlier monarchs.

You're right, Cecelia is hard to spell and somewhat hard to pronounce. I do like Estelle, unlike some people, because it's "different" and yet connected to a family member whom Princess Victoria admired, and who did live both a romantic and admirable life, we have come to find out. Estelle is hard to pronounce in English with Princess, but it probably is easier in Swedish (I don't know their word for Princess but maybe it's Prinzen, which does not end in "s"). Incidentally, speaking of Sweden, Madeline is a smashing name for a princess, but I guess it's taken? Stephanie is great but it's taken.
If Victoria has another girl, maybe she will look to another family member's name: Lillian

Last edited:
I love the name Stephanie - it's a lovely old French name and currently in use in Europe. But I doubt that it will ever be used in the BRF, let alone the future monarch. Ditto Madeleine.

Estelle is hard to pronounce in English with Princess, but it probably is easier in Swedish (I don't know their word for Princess but maybe it's Prinzen, which does not end in "s").

The Swedish word for Princess, I believe, is 'Prinsessan'.

Last edited:
I found five Princesses with this name or its variations:

Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark (1911-1937); who is one of the Duke of Edinburgh's sisters.
Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1540-1627).
Princess Cecilia of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilie of Baden (1839-1891); who became Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna of Russia.
Olga Feodorovna of Baden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1807-1844).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Cecilia_of_Sweden_(1807–1844)

Princess Cecylia Lubomirska (1907-2001).
Princess Cecylia Lubomirska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't think Cecilia will be one of Baby Cambridge's name.

And also Duchess Ceilie zu Mecklenburg who became the last Crown Princess of the German Empire and of Prussia and also her youngest daughter was named Cecilie.

Eleanor! Nice name, historical, born by a very important Queen of England and mother of Richard the Lionheart.
I would love this name if it is a girl

You'll never see a male child in the BRF given the name John. It's considered extremely unlucky.

Who in the royal family considers it unlucky may I ask?

Elizabeth is actually one of the most popular names for an English/British princess.

A look at the names of the monarchs, children of monarchs, and the consorts of monarchs, the most popular names to use are:.

I kind of find your list a bit confusing so I'm going to do my own on first names only and go back to 1707 with Anne;

Regal Names Monarch chose and their heirs chosen names when you look at it:
Anne
George - 7
William
Victoria
Edward - 2
Elizabeth

Monarch's Children this list inculdes the names of Monarchs when they were heirs, such as Albert for George & Edward -
George - 4
Sophia - 2
Frederick - 2
Anne - 3
Amelia - 2
Caroline
William - 2
Mary - 3
Louise - 3
Charlotte - 3
Edward - 3
Augusta - Sophia
Elizabeth - 3
Ernst Augustus
Augustus Frederick
Adolphus
Octavius
Alfred - 2
Alexandrine - (Victoria)
Victoria
Alice
Helena
Arthur
Leopold
Beatrice
Albert Victor
Maud
Alexander John
Henry
John
Albert - 2 (George VI & Edward VII)
Margaret
Charles
Andrew

No one in the Royal Family has actually issued a statement, or uttered the words to friends, that the name "John" is bad luck. But there hasn't been a King John since the first one died in 1216, and he is considered to have not been a good king. Aside from that, George V's son named John had epilepsy and died young. Edward VII had a son named John who died as an infant. So parallels are drawn and the rumor got around that the Royals consider it bad luck.

No one in the Royal Family has actually issued a statement, or uttered the words to friends, that the name "John" is bad luck. But there hasn't been a King John since the first one died in 1216, and he is considered to have not been a good king. Aside from that, George V's son named John had epilepsy and died young. Edward VII had a son named John who died as an infant. So parallels are drawn and the rumor got around that the Royals consider it bad luck.

Didn't Diana want to name her son after her father (who was named John), but was told the name was out of the question? I know I've read that somewhere.

:previous: Yes, that's true. I don't remember if she wanted it as the first name, or just one of the names, but she did want to include it and wasn't allowed (if "allowance" is the correct word).

I am sure it has been said before but I am sure in case it's a girl there will be Diana and/or Carole among the names. Regarding a boy, I can imagine Michael or Philip among the names. As first names, frankly I have no clue.

Duke of Marmalade, you are right on. We do not have a clue as to what they will really decide! And maybe they are in some degree of disagreement themselves. And having to discuss on on "secure lines" so the press won't get word. May be a source of tension.

I am still in favor of names which are distinguished names which have family ties, but not likely to be used, Timothy and Peter. Or Irish and Scots names like Aidan. So I might as well end my speculation. Only three more months until it's "out"!

Last edited:

I kind of find your list a bit confusing so I'm going to do my own on first names only and go back to 1707 with Anne;

For John: it's been used 7 times by royals (6 as just John and once as Alexander John), almost always with somewhat bad results. 4 died young (the eldest making it to 20), one died as an adult but without issue, one was King John, and the last was rather successful but his children went on to start the War of Roses.

As for my list, I started at William I, went forward until the present, and took note of every name used by a monarch, his or her consort(s), and their legitimate children. For the pre-Hanovers I only looked at given names but I noted both if two were used (such as the case of Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales), for the Hanovers and Windsors I noted the middle names of the monarch as well. The Mountbatten-Windsors were the only grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the monarch that I noted. Rather than include the entire list of names, I just made note of the 10 most common names of each gender, with the number of times each was used in brackets.

I don't believe in bad luck or good luck. John's a suitable name, and if the parents like it, I have no problem with it.

Same with Charlotte, notwithstanding the very tragic Charlotte of Wales. In fact, naming the future Queen Charlotte would be a nice tribute to the woman who would have been the "Queen Victoria".

I don't believe in bad luck or good luck. John's a suitable name, and if the parents like it, I have no problem with it.

"Yo no creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay."

Believing in bad luck or not, this name doesn't have a good history within the Royal Family.

I don't think they'll choose John. In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their child with the name of a Hanoverian/Windsor King or Queen. George is my favorite for a boy. Elizabeth for a girl.

Believing in bad luck or not, this name doesn't have a good history within the Royal Family.

I don't think they'll choose John. In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their child with the name of a Hanoverian/Windsor King or Queen. George is my favorite for a boy. Elizabeth for a girl.

Hahahahahaha! Tienes razon. ;)

Why a Hanoverian/Windsor name?

The Mountbatten-Windsors don't seem to place much emphasis on the use of Hanoverian/Windsor names. Of the Queen's children, two had Stuart names, one had a Greek Royal name, and one had a name that has been seen in almost every house (the exceptions being the Normans, Stuarts, and technically the Hanovers). Of Charles' children, both have names that heavily predate the Hanovers - William is seen in the Normans, Stuarts, and Hanovers, while Henry is used by every house from the Normans to the Tudors.

If we're thinking that it's going to be a monarch's name and limiting it to just the Hanovers/Windsors then we're left with George, William, or Edward for a boy and Victoria or Elizabeth for a girl. Because I highly doubt they're going to go with a name already in use (except for maybe the Queen's), that leaves George, Victoria, and maybe Elizabeth. While I have nothing against any of these names, I really hope they don't go with George simply because it's been too over used in recent history, and I hope they don't go with Elizabeth because it puts too much pressure on the child - who will doubtless be compared to her great-grandmother and grandmother regardless of name.

I'm hoping that this child has the name of a pre-Hanover monarch. A Richard or Stephen if it's a boy and we're looking at just English names that aren't in use, although I wouldn't rule out Charles either. Then Mary or Matilda if it's a girl.

Same with Charlotte, notwithstanding the very tragic Charlotte of Wales. In fact, naming the future Queen Charlotte would be a nice tribute to the woman who would have been the "Queen Victoria".

The only problem that I have with Charlotte is the fact that William has a young cousin named Charlotte. Charlotte Spencer is only a year old an while it might not create problems from a press point of view it could be confusing from a family point of view - similar to how the use of James might make things confusing.

Why a Hanoverian/Windsor name?

The Mountbatten-Windsors don't seem to place much emphasis on the use of Hanoverian/Windsor names. Of the Queen's children, two had Stuart names, one had a Greek Royal name, and one had a name that has been seen in almost every house (the exceptions being the Normans, Stuarts, and technically the Hanovers). Of Charles' children, both have names that heavily predate the Hanovers - William is seen in the Normans, Stuarts, and Hanovers, while Henry is used by every house from the Normans to the Tudors.

If we're thinking that it's going to be a monarch's name and limiting it to just the Hanovers/Windsors then we're left with George, William, or Edward for a boy and Victoria or Elizabeth for a girl. Because I highly doubt they're going to go with a name already in use (except for maybe the Queen's), that leaves George, Victoria, and maybe Elizabeth. While I have nothing against any of these names, I really hope they don't go with George simply because it's been too over used in recent history, and I hope they don't go with Elizabeth because it puts too much pressure on the child - who will doubtless be compared to her great-grandmother and grandmother regardless of name.

I'm hoping that this child has the name of a pre-Hanover monarch. A Richard or Stephen if it's a boy and we're looking at just English names that aren't in use, although I wouldn't rule out Charles either. Then Mary or Matilda if it's a girl.

If a pre-Hanoverian name is used, it can be considered an Hanoverian/Windsor name.

And that includes Elizabeth, Charles, William, Anne, Edward, James, Mary and many others.

The only problem that I have with Charlotte is the fact that William has a young cousin named Charlotte. Charlotte Spencer is only a year old an while it might not create problems from a press point of view it could be confusing from a family point of view - similar to how the use of James might make things confusing.
if you look back at the Royal Family back in the 19th century you will see there were lots of George's, Alberts, Victorias, Mary's, Edwards, Arthurs, a couple Charlottes, Leopold's and Louise's in the family.

Not only is her name Charlotte, but it's Charlotte Diana. I've no doubt Will's daughter will have Diana in her names.

We really don't know if this would serve as a deterrent. Does Will spend time with the Spencers? Are they close? Are there so many nicknames for Charlotte that it does not matter? In some families use of the same name does not bother people.

Problem is, Will and Kate have relatively few choices with names. They don't have the run of the entire baby book. Perhaps the Spencers consulted with Will and Kate and it's not a name that they are keen on.

We'll see. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom