Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that the relationship between Will, Harry and Camilla is a lot closer than many are suggesting here. We have to remember that when William and Kate married, one of Camilla's little granddaughter's was in the wedding party.
That action there spoke clearly of the acceptance of Camilla and her family into the Windsor fold.

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia
I doubt Camilla will be called 'grandmother' or 'granny' by Charles' future grandchildren, but I do believe she will have some other name to go by (maybe some variation of grandmother, Nana maybe?)
I am thinking something along these lines. Diana will be a theory. I'm sure she'll be referred to lovingly by both princes -- heck, I think Charles will refer to her kindly, as well -- but she won't be the day-to-day grandmotherly presence that Camilla will. I just hope the public won't want to rehash that whole thing at the expense of a child.

Topic? Charles has eight godparents and William has six, and I think The Queen has seven. How many godparents is Baby Cambridge likely to have?

Topic? Charles has eight godparents and William has six, and I think The Queen has seven. How many godparents is Baby Cambridge likely to have?

I would go with six at a bet, three of each to even it out.

I guess Baby Cambridge will have five godparents:

1. Prince Harry.
2. Pippa Middleton.
3. Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece.
4. The Countess of Wessex.
5. Hugh van Cutsem.

I too think the baby will have six godparents: Harry, Pippa Middleton, Peter Phillips, one of the Greeks - perhaps Theodora or Philippos (or Alexia even, she seems to be a popular godmother, but again, William and Catherine are closer in age to someone like Theodora), and two friends.

I have a question, do W&H call Camilla 'Mum' or or is it strictly Camilla?
Maybe this might shed some light on whether W&K consider it appropriate for Camilla to be 'grandmother' considering Carole Middleton will be the only biological grandmother.

Why? Even if Camilla had not been part of the divorce of their parents, Camilla did not help raise Will and Harry. They were grown ups when the couple wed. It would be really odd, if they started calling her Mum, even without the bad history with Diana.

You can have two grandmothers. Calling Camila Granny, takes nothing away from Diana's memory, or from Carole. My mother's mother died when she was little, and my grandfather remarried. My mother was an adult, so calls her by her first name. Myself, my sister and our cousins, and our children (cousin's kids) call her Grandma. It doesn't take from my mom's birth mother, or from my Nana (my dad's mother). My grandfather has passed away, and though they never had kids together, she is still very much a member of the family, even for my mother and her siblings. She was married to their father for 30 years (their mother for 15, though they also had six kids in those years).

If they have six godparents for the child:

Harry
Hugh
Pavlos
Pippa
Zara
female friend like Holly Branson

Harry and Pippa seem a given. Hugh is a good friend and Will is godfather to his daughter who was in the royal wedding. I see Pavlos for the Greeks, as Will is godfather to his eldest son. Zara or Bea for a cousin, but I think Will is closer to the older two. Could replace Zara with Peter, if Theodora was chosen instead of her brother (trying to keep the balance). Then I think a friend will sneak in.

Alexandra Elizabeth Mary
Victoria Alexandra Elizabeth Mary

Ref Camilla: GamCam

Kate's brother may be a godfather as well, incorporating all of their siblings. I can definitely see Zara making the list since she and William are close.

Adolphus isn't going to get anywhere near a royal baby for the most obvious of reasons.

You're thinking of Adolphus 2nd Duke of Cambridge who married to Sarah Fairbrother, an actress and commoner. The first Duke was impeccable
No, she's likely thinking of Adolph Hitler. And she's correct, there is no chance of a royal baby being named Adolphus.

No, she's likely thinking of Adolph Hitler. And she's correct, there is no chance of a royal baby being named Adolphus.

Thank you :) as if this wasn't the most obvious of reasons.

So people will think William named his son after Adolf Hitler and not his great-great-great-great grandfather, the 1st Duke of Cambridge?

Yes. Because nobody knows who the 1st Duke of Cambridge is, everyone knows who Adolf Hitler is.

Baby Cambridge is going to have a traditional British name. I also bet her/his first name won't be the same as some one in the immediate royal family (queen and below- not the Kent,etc).

I also think we will see Kate's influence with naming and godparents. The royal wedding all the attendants were from William's circle. I think we see more of Kate friends in the godparents Emilia Jardine Patterson, Alicia Fox Pitt perhaps. After the sickness during the early months and pushing the baby out, Kate holds some cards. If mama Kate wants a particular name, she is going to get it.

So people will think William named his son after Adolf Hitler and not his great-great-great-great grandfather, the 1st Duke of Cambridge?

I don't understand how the 1st (2nd?) Duke of Cambridge would be the baby's great-great-great-great grandfather ... ?

:previous: Thanks. I'd just never heard of the Duke.

Yes.

And that name - or any version of it - would be truly offensive to those with any sensitivity and doubly so to those Brits over the age of 60. Britain's losses in that war were incalculable.

William wouldn't even entertain the thought of naming his son Adolphus.

Last edited:
:previous: It doesn't change the fact that you like the name and it's connection to William's history. It's just not a good name suggestion for the royal baby. :flowers:

The name Adolphus would be out for a very important reason not related to the war and those over 70 who lived through it and that is that since 1918 the BRF has very strongly tried to distance itself from the German origins of the Hanoverians (whose claim to the throne came from their descent from James I and VI). Adolphus is very much a German name while names like Peter, Philip, James, George etc also have a strong English/British feel about them.

I agree.......besides the nickname "Dolly" is not something any boy would want to carry.

OK, Iluvbertie, name the prince after Scots kings, Welsh royals, even Irish saints, like Robert, Owen, Aiden. Even James is pre-Hanoverian, even though the Hanovers descended from james I and VI in a roundabout way. "William" is very Germanic and goes right straight to Kaiser Wilhelm, although the spelling is blessedly changed. I think Charles did name Prince William after his admired cousin William of Gloucester, and the Gloucesters have a lot of non-Hanoverian bloodlines on their Scots' side, Princess' Alice's side.
Robert Owen Aiden Charles. That sounds nice, and only slightly Hanoverian around the edges. I like that. I vote for that one. Won't do any good but I like it.

Last edited:
The name Adolphus would be out for a very important reason not related to the war and those over 70 who lived through it and that is that since 1918 the BRF has very strongly tried to distance itself from the German origins of the Hanoverians (whose claim to the throne came from their descent from James I and VI). Adolphus is very much a German name while names like Peter, Philip, James, George etc also have a strong English/British feel about them.

George, in terms of Royals, can be seen as German - it wasn't until the German Hanovers came to the throne that it appeared in the monarch's name. While it's been used since then, it's been a given name less frequently.

OK, Iluvbertie, name the prince after Scots kings, Welsh royals, even Irish saints, like Robert, Owen, Aiden. Even James is pre-Hanoverian, even though the Hanovers descended from james I and VI in a roundabout way. "William" is very Germanic and goes right straight to Kaiser Wilhelm, although the spelling is blessedly changed. I think Charles did name Prince William after his admired cousin William of Gloucester, and the Gloucesters have a lot of non-Hanoverian bloodlines on their Scots' side, Princess' Alice's side.
Robert Owen Aiden Charles. That sounds nice, and only slightly Hanoverian around the edges. I like that. I vote for that one. Won't do any good but I like it.

How does William go straight to the German Kaiser? William has played deeply in both Scottish and English history, and is the name of the first two post-Conquest monarchs and one of the last pre-union monarchs.

George, in terms of Royals, can be seen as German - it wasn't until the German Hanovers came to the throne that it appeared in the monarch's name. While it's been used since then, it's been a given name less frequently.

Name the patron saint of England and then tell me that George is only a German name. Just because the royals weren't using it doesn't make in non-English.

George is one of Charles' names and has even been suggested that it will be his regnal name.

Last edited:
OK, Iluvbertie, name the prince after Scots kings, Welsh royals, even Irish saints, like Robert, Owen, Aiden. Even James is pre-Hanoverian, even though the Hanovers descended from james I and VI in a roundabout way.

I would never describe direct descent as 'roundabout'.

James I and VI - Elizabeth - Sophie - George I.

That is like saying that Savannah and Isla are descended from QEII in a roundabout way - they are her direct descendants in the same was George I from James I and VI.

Alice Elizabeth Catherine Diana or
Alice Elizabeth Catherine Frances

Albert William Henry Michael

As a "stepgrandmother" my grandchildren call me grandma right along with my husband's ex-wife.There is no differential between them and my blood grandchildren. They are simply my grandchildren! I hope the same for the Cambridge children, a child can never have enough love!!

In our family the children are taught to say Grandma????. With step families in the picture, it keeps it straight for the children. One grandma was called grandma starchy. That was her dogs name, but the kids always know who is being discussed. No confusion.

Name the patron saint of England and then tell me that George is only a German name. Just because the royals weren't using it doesn't make in non-English.

George is one of Charles' names and has even been suggested that it will be his regnal name.

I didn't mean to imply that it's a non-English name - it is an English name. I simply meant that (regardless of validity) in terms of the BRF it's one that's associated with the German kings.

The kings with names that start with Æ are associated with the Wessex kings, the kings with "Cnut" in their name are associated with the Danes, the Williams are associated with the Normans, the Henrys, Edwards, and Richards are all viewed as English kings, while the Jameses and Charleses are the Scottish kings, and the Georges are the Germans. It's not entirely accurate, but it's the perception. And if you look at the use of George as a given name prior to the Hanovers, during the Hanovers, and then post World War I, within the royals it plays a bigger role during the Hanover pre-war period. Since the War, it's been used as a regnal name once (but under special circumstances), and as a given name I believe twice, and neither time by someone who was in the direct line of succession.

If Charles uses George as a regnal name I think it would be a mistake - both because it changes his identity to the people and because it hardens back to a Germanic royal family. Elizabeth, Charles, William, and Henry all show a connection with the pre-German, British royals. I'd rather see this child if it's a boy be another Charles, Richard, William, or even Stephen than a George, just like I'd rather another Elizabeth, Mary, or Matilda than Victoria if it's a girl.

What about Arthur as part of the name? Wasn't that Charles' first choice for William's name?

The Queen's father was Albert Frederick Arthur George, so it wouldn't surprise me to see some of those names recycled.

I've always liked the Queen Mum's names: Elizabeth Angela Marguerite. Working Angela into a girl's name would be interesting.

What about Arthur as part of the name? Wasn't that Charles' first choice for William's name?

The Queen's father was Albert Frederick Arthur George, so it wouldn't surprise me to see some of those names recycled.

I've always liked the Queen Mum's names: Elizabeth Angela Marguerite. Working Angela into a girl's name would be interesting.

Was William close to the Queen Mother? I have the feeling the name will reflect those he feels particularly close to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom