Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a minor correction for above. The Earl of Ulsters names are Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard

Melissa-dates back to ancient greek myth, 16th century Italian lit, and 18th century Scottish poetry to name a few, nothing modern there.

Allison dates back to the middle ages where it was a nickname in Norman speaking areas, for Alice.

Dereks have been found in the low countries since the 14 hundreds.

Caitlin is a very old Irish form of Catherine

Names like Ashton and Cody originated as surnames. It has become popular to use family names as first names, but the names are still historical. I believe in the southern us, it was a tradition in some places, it is traditional.

Many last names stemmed from first names. Malcolm son of Keneth would have been known Malcom MacKeneth. His son instead of being James MacMalcolm, continued using MacKeneth, and family names started there. Names like Brody and Logan, also very popular names now a days, are old Scottish clan names.

........someone already told me this days ago. I didn't need to be told again. My reading skills are perfectly fine.

It's most likely that the baby's name will be George.

Prince George Philip Arthur Michael of Cambridge sounds pretty good.

If you read what I wrote, you'll notice that I wasn't talking about Royal children in general, I was talking about direct heirs to the Throne.

When Her Majesty named her son Charles, she's was doing something extraordinay, because the two previous King Charles weren't very successful.

I realize that you were talking specifically about the heir, my point was that in general the Queen and her eldest son don't seem to base the names they choose for their children on the lives of the predecessors who had it - just looking at the heirs, neither Charles nor William are necessarily good monarchical names due to the predecessors, but they are the names of the first and second in the line of succession.

I realize that you were talking specifically about the heir, my point was that in general the Queen and her eldest son don't seem to base the names they choose for their children on the lives of the predecessors who had it - just looking at the heirs, neither Charles nor William are necessarily good monarchical names due to the predecessors, but they are the names of the first and second in the line of succession.

Charles is an exception, but William III and William IV were very good Kings.

Just a minor correction for above. The Earl of Ulsters names are Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard

TNX - I fixed it. How do you remember this stuff? Or maybe you just checked my work. :lol: Good job.

I thought what Admirus did was really interesting. I wiki'ed Catherine and here are male family names. Obvious do not have cousins, uncles etc names (apart of course from Gary!)

Michael
Peter
Francis (3)
Ronald
Noel
Frederick (2)
George
Stephen
Charles
Thomas (2)
John (3)
Gavin
Theophilus

I think we can count the last one out :lol:

I think if it is a boy, Peter will be one of the names after Peter Francis Middleton, her paternal grandfather who died shortly before the engagement was announced

I think if it is a boy, Peter will be one of the names after Peter Francis Middleton, her paternal grandfather who died shortly before the engagement was announced

And Her Royal Highness was close to her grandfather?

Does anyone know if there are bets on which is going to be the baby name in UK?
I know that British ppl love to gamble and they put their money on guessing the fastest horse or who is going to win in football. Are there already any statistics for Cambridge baby names?Which ones are most popular?

Henry could very well be chosen for a boy. Not only is it a name with a long royal history in the UK, it's also become very popular over recent years, particularly in the upper-middle and upper classes. It's a regular in The Times birth announcements, which tends to be used by people in that sort of bracket to record the births of their children.

Kate's friends, Sam Waley-Cohen and his wife announced the birth of their son in The Times on 15 March and his full name is Maximilian Bertie Thomas.

In 2011, the most popular boys names in The Times birth announcements were:

William
Harry
George
Henry
Edward
Alexander
Thomas
Max/Maximilian
James
Frederick

For girls it was:

Isabel/Isabella
Alice
Emily
Sophia
Matilda
Sophie
Beatrice
Charlotte
Freya
Poppy

Interestingly, The Times figures suggest that boys' names such as Peter, Philip and Neil are in big decline.

William and Kate's contemporaries (the sort of people who would announce their child's birth in The Times) are choosing traditional names, often with a royal history. That suggests to me that William and Kate are likely to follow suit, and would do even if they were not royal themselves.

Thanks EIIR,you have supplied us with many beautiful names!How big is the chance that they will chose "Alice" for a girl?

Kate's friends, Sam Waley-Cohen and his wife announced the birth of their son in The Times on 15 March and his full name is Maximilian Bertie Thomas.
->That´s funny,because my nephew is also called Maximilian,but he is baptised "Maximilian Alexander" :)

Apparently. His death was cited as one of the reasons the engagement announcement was delayed because she was upset. Also, (I'm doing this from memory) during WWII he served in Canada and she wanted to see where that was on the tour. Sorry not to be more specific.

The DM ran this story about him

Kate Middleton pays tribute to pilot who knocked V1 missiles off course with his plane's wing | Mail Online

Maybe Peter will be one of the middle names.

Prince George Philip Arthur Peter of Cambridge.

I liked.

I do hope they'll use Francis in a boy's name. It really seems like an ideal name for them to use since it honours both sides of the family. For a first name, I still hope for an Arthur, perhaps Arthur Philip George Francis or Arthur Philip Francis George (even though Philip and Francis sound funny together).

I wouldn't name my son my brothers name. There's way to many names in the world for them to go with James. Besides I doubt William would want that...if anything I think he'd want his son to have his name before anyone elses.

Personally, I wouldn't do it either, but some would and people have different preferences when it comes to names (I know someone with a son names Andreas and a daughter named Andrea, people have the weirdest ideas). My point is that if William and Catherine really, really liked a name - say they had fallen madly in love with the name James and the only name they could picture for their son was James - I don't think it would stop them from using it. I don't think they will use James, but that's a different matter.

Last edited:
It also reinforces the view about having Frances/Francis as a middle name as it covers great grandfather Peter, great grandmother Francis, grandmother Diana and grandfather Michael. Now that is tradition

I dont think they will use Francis/Frances now, with the new Pope.

I dont think they will use Francis/Frances now, with the new Pope.

If they want Francis/Frances as one of the names, they wont give 2 hoots because of the Pope. They will choose names they want and not care about links to others. I think that Peter or Frances/Francis is possible as a secondary name.

Charles is an exception, but William III and William IV were very good Kings.

William III is a symbol for the Protestant Loyalists in Ireland. His image has been used for 300 years to fuel religious division and warfare.

I still think the name is going to be one that's been used for a monarch before. Most of the "Is" weren't necessarily intended on being the heir - they were daughters, second sons, cousins, usurpers, etc.

The English/British names are:

Male: William, Henry, Stephen, Richard, John, Edward, James, Charles, George
Female: Matilda, Mary, Elizabeth, Anne, Victoria

I would discredit William, Henry, Edward, James, and Anne because of the fact that it's currently in use by the family. Charles and Elizabeth are both in use, obviously, but as the grandfather and grandmother I wouldn't discredit the use of either. Richard is in use, but a bit more distantly - both in relation and age - so it could pop up again. I also don't see John happening, because it's John.

I doubt it's likely, but they could go with a pre-conquest name, or one of the names of a Scottish king, a Prince of Wales, or even an Irish High King.

Pre-conquest names: Athelstan, Edmund, Easred, Eadwig, Edward, Athelred, Sweyn, Cnut, Harald, Harthacnut, Edgar. Of these, I would think only Edmund or Harald would be possible.

Scottish monarchs: Kenneth, Donald, Constantine, Malcolm, Duncan, Macbeth, Edgar, Alexander, David, William, Margaret, John, Robert, James, Mary, Charles, William, Anne. Of these, I'd say Robert, Mary, or Charles would be the most likely.

Independent Princes of Wales: Dafydd and Llywelyn. Dafydd is the Welsh equivalent of David, so a Prince David could honour both the Scottish and Welsh.

Irish High Kings: (I'm using the English/modern spellings and excluding the ones whose names don't translate into English) Conn, Art, Fergus, Cormac, Niall, Dermot, Duncan, Donald, Aidan, Brian, Murtagh, Rory.

If they want Francis/Frances as one of the names, they wont give 2 hoots because of the Pope. They will choose names they want and not care about links to others. I think that Peter or Frances/Francis is possible as a secondary name.

I agree with this completely, although as the current heir to the Jacobite claim is also named Francis I find the idea of it a bit funny.

........someone already told me this days ago. I didn't need to be told again. My reading skills are perfectly fine.

Can you tell me where the site rules says only 1 person can respond to a post? I some how must have missed that one.

Brazilian- I think your suggestion is pretty likely, though I might replace Arthur with Charles. I could see them honoring both grandfathers.

Ish- yes, I don't see many of the traditional names like Harthnacute, making the list. But it would be neat to see some of the old names come back. As the Brits often take a reignal name, it doesn't neccesarily have to be the name they would reign with.

Prince Stephen Robert David Patrick

Princess Mathilda Joan Margrat Mary

I am still betting on traditional names for this traditional royal couple:
Catherine Diana Elizabeth Carol or
William Charles Philip Michael

Catherine and William are royal names. and parents in the United States name their children after themselves. Maybe that is the custom in Europe and Royal Circles.

As the Brits often take a reignal name, it doesn't neccesarily have to be the name they would reign with.

They don't actually often do this. Most Brits have used as their regnal name their first given name, with few exceptions. The early post-conquest monarchs all had cognomens (from William I to Henry IV), as did William III. Most (if not all) of the pre-Hanover monarchs only had one given name, which was then their regnal name. Of the Hanovers/Windsors, most monarchs used their first given name (usually George), with only 3 choosing to use a different name - Victoria, Edward VII and George VI. In Victoria's case, her name had been Alexandrina Victoria, but her title from birth was Princess Victoria, so she reigned under that. Edward VII had been the double-barrelled Albert Edward and dropped the Albert so as to not diminish the status of his father. One would presume that had Edward's eldest son, Albert Victor, come to the throne he would have dropped one name too. George VI chose to not use his given name, also Albert, because of a desire to stress the link to his late father, George V, and probably continue the tradition of dropping the Albert set by Edward VII.

I would guess that in all likelihood the name chosen for this baby will be the name it rules under. The monarchy is known more by name than by title now than it was in the time of the two Berties - who would have been known better as The Prince of Wales and The Duke of York prior to their ascensions - so the days of different regnal names might be behind us. Unless of course Charles does decide to eschew his first name and is crowned George VII, in which case I wouldn't be surprised to see George become the traditional regnal name in the future (disappointed perhaps, but not surprised).

Last edited:
They don't actually often do this. Most Brits have used as their regnal name their first given name, with few exceptions. The early post-conquest monarchs all had cognomens (from William I to Henry IV), as did William III. Most (if not all) of the pre-Hanover monarchs only had one given name, which was then their regnal name. Of the Hanovers/Windsors, most monarchs used their first given name (usually George), with only 3 choosing to use a different name - Victoria, Edward VII and George VI. In Victoria's case, her name had been Alexandrina Victoria, but her title from birth was Princess Victoria, so she reigned under that. Edward VII had been the double-barrelled Albert Edward and dropped the Edward so as to not diminish the status of his father. One would presume that had Edward's eldest son, Albert Victor, come to the throne he would have dropped one name too. George VI chose to not use his given name, also Albert, because of a desire to stress the link to his late father, George V, and probably continue the tradition of dropping the Albert set by Edward VII.

I would guess that in all likelihood the name chosen for this baby will be the name it rules under. The monarchy is known more by name than by title now than it was in the time of the two Berties - who would have been known better as The Prince of Wales and The Duke of York prior to their ascensions - so the days of different regnal names might be behind us. Unless of course Charles does decide to eschew his first name and is crowned George VII, in which case I wouldn't be surprised to see George become the traditional regnal name in the future (disappointed perhaps, but not surprised).

Think you mean dropped the Albert. :flowers:

I am still betting on traditional names for this traditional royal couple:
Catherine Diana Elizabeth Carol or
William Charles Philip Michael

Catherine and William are royal names. and parents in the United States name their children after themselves. Maybe that is the custom in Europe and Royal Circles.

Not in the UK, the only recent example would be the queen. Middle names from time to time, but I'd be shocked for a Prince William or Princess Catherine. Different royal families have different traditions as well. There isn't one rule for all royal circles.

William does not have Charles in his name. Harry does.

Zara has Anne as a middle name

Bea, Eugenie, James and Louise don't have their mother/father's name.

Charles and Anne, have their mother or father as their first middle name.

Family names yes, but more likely a grandparent or more distant relation.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll see William or Catherine as a first name just because nowadays it's much rarer to name a child after his or her parent. That seemed much more common in the past.

After all, it's pretty evident with the string of King Georges (I-IV) in the UK...although there was a Frederick in there (Prince of Wales, father of George III) who would have been King.

I could see Charles though. I wonder what the possibility would be, if the child is a boy and his first name is Charles, that he would be known under a double name (publicly, if not privately) until Charles' accession? (i.e. "Prince Charles Henry" or the like.)

I don't think we'll see William or Catherine as a first name just because nowadays it's much rarer to name a child after his or her parent. That seemed much more common in the past.

After all, it's pretty evident with the string of King Georges (I-IV) in the UK...although there was a Frederick in there (Prince of Wales, father of George III) who would have been King.

I could see Charles though. I wonder what the possibility would be, if the child is a boy and his first name is Charles, that he would be known under a double name (publicly, if not privately) until Charles' accession? (i.e. "Prince Charles Henry" or the like.)

It was up until the queen's Uncle really. Edward was born heir, and named Edward though called David, and not George for his father. Then he named his daughter, for her mother, so went back to tradition.

I think Charles will be reserved for a middle name. IMO the first name will be one not used among the immediate family right now.

I don't think Francis/Frances is going to happen due to the new Pope choosing that name. Like it or not, there's simply too much history vis-a-vis the RF/UK and the Roman Catholic Church. On top of that, Mr Bergoglio's comments about the UK and the Falkland Islands have not exactly been welcomed here.

I doubt that they'll pay tribute to both grandmothers or grandfathers in the name of their first child. William doesn't have Charles as one of his names, Harry does.

I also very much doubt they'll name their child William or Catherine. It may have been very common in the past, but nowadays it would be seen as totally self-absorbed.

Brazilian- I think your suggestion is pretty likely, though I might replace Arthur with Charles. I could see them honoring both grandfathers.

They'll be honoring the Prince of Wales naming the Baby George. His Royal Highness full name is Charles Philip Arthur George.

And I'm a firm supporter of the Prince of Wales become King George VII. So, the Baby, if it's a boy, will be King George VIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom