Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Charles wanted Arthur as Williams first name but, Diana liked William better. So, she obviously won that decision. But, at least his name ended up flowing well.

I too remember hearing that Charles and Diana named William after Prince William of Gloucester. Have never heard anything about Charles wanting to name him Arthur, I think William got Arthur as one of his names because it's also one of the names of Charles and King George VI. I also think that if they baby is a boy, Arthur will be in there somewhere to continue that 'tradition'.

Another name for a girl that would be definitely seen as a good regnal name would be Alberta. Personally I really don't care for the name and when one thinks about it, it could also be a nice salute to Canada. Maybe as a second name? Can't wait to find out what they actually do name the baby. :)

I agree, and if it's a boy, they can name him Edward, a salute to Prince Edward Island. ;) Their dear friends the Beckhams can give them all the ins and outs on naming babies after places.

Alberta was named for Queen Victoria's daughter, Louise Caroline Alberta. I guess Victoria got so tired of naming the girls Victoria and the boys Albert, she wanted to change things up a bit.

I thought that Diana wanted to name William John but had it nixed because it's a jinxed name. William was the backup name.

I definitely believe that William is named after the cousin Prince William of Gloucester who Charles admired very much. Never heard about calling him Arthur as a first name, or about John.

Do we know of any names that Diana said she liked? If so, this might be the first name of this baby.

HereditaryPrincess said:
I also never knew that about Charles wanting to name William Arthur.

My paternal grandfather's full name (first and middle) was William Arthur. He shared his birthday with the Queen, only she was four years younger. He and my grandma's second son (my dad) is named Robert Arthur; and his birthday is the next day. My dad's older brother is William Edgar (Edgar after their mother's father).

Last edited:
This may sound like an obvious statement but I dont think history, superstitions, other monarchies and anything "global" will come into it.

Names they like, people they admire or love will be all that matter. Then they will check out how it sounds with "King/Queen". Because they are conservative (small c, not political) and "safe-hands" people, I dont think anyone will be shocked. Surprised is possible, but not shocked.

Parents, Grandparents (Peter as a 2ndry name after Catherine's grandfather, for example), siblings, godparents. They will be the sources.

I am going to be embarassed if they call the child Elton or Madonna ! :blush:

cepe said:
This may sound like an obvious statement but I dont think history, superstitions, other monarchies and anything "global" will come into it.

Names they like, people they admire or love will be all that matter. Then they will check out how it sounds with "King/Queen". Because they are conservative (small c, not political) and "safe-hands" people, I dont think anyone will be shocked. Surprised is possible, but not shocked.

Parents, Grandparents (Peter as a 2ndry name after Catherine's grandfather, for example), siblings, godparents. They will be the sources.

I am going to be embarassed if they call the child Elton or Madonna ! :blush:

I know it's about 10 years into the future seeing as I'm only 22 and my parents don't want to be grandparents right now, but my firstborn daughter will be Katherine Anne (middle name of course after the current Princess Royal!)

Do we know of any names that Diana said she liked? If so, this might be the first name of this baby.

Oliver.....either after the musical Oliver Twist or from Love Story or her famous ancestor Cromwell. Anyway it was a non starter.

Oliver.....either after the musical Oliver Twist or from Love Story or her famous ancestor Cromwell. Anyway it was a non starter.

I'm still laughing at the idea of a King Oliver....

They may well choose some modern or non royal names such as Emma or Timothy, Ella or Oliver its not written in law that they have only the existing royal names both present and past to choose from. It will be interesting to see.

They may well choose some modern or non royal names such as Emma or Timothy, Ella or Oliver its not written in law that they have only the existing royal names both present and past to choose from. It will be interesting to see.

It's not written in law, but these are traditional people. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're superstitious as well.

Historically, most of the "I" in the history of English/British monarchs have been people who weren't supposed to come to the throne - the younger brothers whose elder brothers died or who they usurped, the daughters who weren't ever supposed to inherit, or the cousins who came to the throne either through usurpation or a lack of an (adequate) heir. If I'm correct, in the history of England/Britain there have only been two monarchs with the designation of I that were born to their positions - Edward I and Charles I (and one of them ended up with his head cut off).

There's also an interesting tradition of Is not being succeeded by their children; of the 13 "official" Ist, 7 of them were succeeded by someone other than their own child, 8 if you include Charles I who was initially succeeded by Cromwell. Of the "unofficials", Matilda and Jane, it's a 1:1 ratio.

Also, since George I came to the throne, almost 300 years ago, there have only been 2 Ist (neither of whom were intended to inherit at birth). There were, I believe, 5 almost-Ists, 3 who died before their fathers, and 2 who chose to change his name - and of those 5 almosts, 1 was a girl and one was a younger son.

Just based on tradition and superstition alone, I can't really see them going non-traditional, at least not for the first born.

"Rose" is an interesting memorial to Diana, who was called "England's Rose". I love the name Rose but is it too short for a Queen's name? Charlotte Rose is nice, Cepe. I don't know where the Rose name came from, which has had royal usage, as with Margaret Rose and Lady Rose Windsor.

If I'm correct, in the history of England/Britain there have only been two monarchs with the designation of I that were born to their positions - Edward I and Charles I (and one of them ended up with his head cut off)..

Charles I was not a first born son either. His elder brother, Henry Frederick died of typhoid leaving him as heir to their father James I.

I too remember having read that Arthur was Charles' choice for his first son and Albert for his second and that Diana's choices were William and Harry.
I think it was written in 'Diana, her true story'.

The name Oliver is an absolute no-no... The reigning dynasty would hardly name an heir after a usurper and regicide !

William was named after Prince William of Gloucester, son of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester and a cousin Charles greatly admired.

I daresay you are right, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Charles intended William to be the first name.

I too remember having read that Arthur was Charles' choice for his first son and Albert for his second and that Diana's choices were William and Harry.

I read or heard this long before any of the books came out. Although I don't recall the mention of Albert, which makes me think the story came out between the births of William and Harry.

I too have read this in several books, most of them about the late Diana or about William and Harry, but just because it was in those books doesn't mean I necessarily believe it to be the truth.

Some more name combinations I have come up with:

Georgiana Alexandra Elizabeth Caroline
Georgiana Elizabeth Caroline Marie
Alexandra Mary Caroline Anne
Alexandra Caroline Elizabeth Frances
Elizabeth Anne Georgina Diana
Elizabeth Georgina Caroline Diana

George Edward Arthur Louis
George Alexander Richard Charles
Richard Alexander Louis Philip
Richard Philip Charles Arthur
Arthur Charles Louis Michael
Arthur James Michael Philip
Philip Arthur Edward George
Philip James Alexander Richard

I also remenber that Charles first choice was Arthur. I know that William was named after Prince William of Gloucester, but it doesn't necessarily mean he was going to give as the first name, it was probably as a middle name, but Diana liked it better as a first name. When honoring someone, it doesnt need to be the first name, you can always honor someone with middle names.

I didn't know about Albert though, but Henry/Harry is way better IMO

Last edited:
:previous: Don't forget Camilla! (July 17)!

Now that would be something! :p

Has anyone raised the possibility, that if it's a boy, it can still be named after Diana by calling him "Francis?"

Francis Charles Phillip Michael

I forgot that Camilla was born in July! So the special dates in July are: Diana's birthday, Prince Michael's birthday and Camilla's birthday. Regarding the name Francis: I doubt that they would consider the name, but it would honor Diana. I like your combination too; but IMO if it were to be used, then Francis would be a middle name. So how about: George Arthur William Francis?

Charles I was not a first born son either. His elder brother, Henry Frederick died of typhoid leaving him as heir to their father James I.

Ah, yes. I forgot about him. That just goes to further the point I was making, thanks.

Elizabeth Philippa Diana Caroline for a girl
and
Philipp Arthur Henry George for a boy.

Unless someone dies before the baby is born, I don't believe Will and Kate will use Elizabeth, Phillip, Charles or Diana as a first name. Middle name yes, first name no. I will put my bet on a name that hasn't been used in a while. Like Georgiana/George, Victoria, Richard, Arthur, Elaenor, Mathilda, Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom