Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both. Even with the Dukedom of Cambridge, he is still Prince William of Wales.

His children will be XXX of Cambridge. Not Cambridge and Wales I believe. Just like William was as a child.

His children will be XXX of Cambridge. Not Cambridge and Wales I believe. Just like William was as a child.
They will probably be known as such, but they can choose Wales as well. These multiple options are very common here, many first born of non royals noblemen use either the family name, their fathers' highest titles or their own subsidiary titles. That said I suppose it's likely they'd choose Cambridge unless the Duke becomes the Prince of Wales by the time they are old enough to decide.

Both. Even with the Dukedom of Cambridge, he is still Prince William of Wales.
William is no longer Prince William of Wales; he is the Duke of Cambridge. He is (and has always been) a Windsor but not Wales any more, even if his father remains the Prince of Wales and his brother is still Prince Henry of Wales.

William's children born while he is the Duke of Cambridge will be known as:
- The eldest son will automatically be Prince Name of Cambridge
- The younger sons will be Lords Name Windsor
- The daughters will be Lady Name Windsor

After William becomes the Duke of Cornwall (when Prince Charles becomes King) and before he is created The Prince of Wales, his children will be known as:
- The eldest son will automatically be Prince Name of Cornwall and Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn
- The younger sons will be Princes Name of Cornwall and Cambridge
- The daughters will be Princesses Name of Cornwall and Cambridge

Last edited:
William's children will never be of Cambridge and Wales.

They will be, at some point, of Cornwall and Cambridge (when Charles ascends to the Throne and William automatically becomes the Duke of Cornwall). That's because while Cornwall obviously has a seniority over Cambridge, the latter would have been William's earlier title and, both being Dukedoms (well, a Duchy and a Dukedom), both will be used. For instance, from the moment Prince George, The Duke of York (future George V) became the Duke of Cornwall, his children were known as Princes and Princess Name of Cornwall and York.

However, once he was created The Prince of Wales (a title that obviously has a seniority over "mere" Dukedoms), his children were known as Princes and Princess Name of Wales - and not as Princes and Princess Name of Wales, Cornwall and York.

After William becomes the Duke of Cornwall (when Prince Charles becomes King) and before he is created The Prince of Wales, his children will be known as:
- The eldest son will automatically be Prince Name of Cornwall and Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn
- The younger sons will be Princes Name of Cornwall and York
- The daughters will be Princesses Name of Cornwall and York

Why will younger children became known as Prince/Princess of Cornwall and York?.
You probably mean Prince/Princess of Cornwall and Cambridge.

Why will younger children became known as Prince/Princess of Cornwall and York?.
You probably mean Prince/Princess of Cornwall and Cambridge.
Quite so, my apologies.
I was thinking of George V's children (who were of Cornwall and York once their father became the Duke of Cornwall and until he was created the Prince of Wales) and automatically wrote of their titles, and not William's future children.

Charlotte or Caroline for a girl, with Frances as a middle name/nod to Diana...

I like George for a boy... Is Christian a possible BRF name? I like that too.

King Christian IX of Denmark was an ancestor of both the Queen and Prince Philip, and one of Prince Andrew's middle names is Christian, so yes :flowers:.

Caroline is a royal name on the Hanoverian side, and it's close to Carole, Kate's mum's name, so they could choose that as a middle name. They could choose Philippa, after Pippa - it was the name of Edward III's very popular queen (and they could please both sides of the family by saying that it was after Prince Philip as well!) - as a middle name, as well. I'd love them to include Eleanor because I think Eleanor of Aquitaine was amazing, but I can't see it!

John's the bookies' favourite for a boy, but I can't see why - have the bookies never heard of Magna Carta and dropping the crown jewels in the Wash and all the rest of it?! No-one expected Charles as a name because that hadn't been used since Stuart times, and no-one really expected William or Harry either, so they could go for something further back in history. I like James, but Prince Edward and Sophie's son is James and so is Kate's brother so I can't see them going for that. There haven't been that many names for English kings since 1066 - William, Henry, Stephen, John, Edward, Richard, George, Henry, James, Charles ... that's it. Maybe they'll go for a Scottish royal name: Alexander is really nice, and that's a Greek royal name too.

Last edited:
They will probably be known as such, but they can choose Wales as well. These multiple options are very common here, many first born of non royals noblemen use either the family name, their fathers' highest titles or their own subsidiary titles. That said I suppose it's likely they'd choose Cambridge unless the Duke becomes the Prince of Wales by the time they are old enough to decide.

William and Catherine's children will never be "of Wales" until William is the Prince of Wales, which will not happen until Charles is King.

If the child is a girl, she will be Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. If the child is a boy, he will be Prince X of Cambridge, per 1917 Letters Patent. When Charles becomes King, any and all children they have at that point will be Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and Cambridge. They will stay that way until William becomes Prince of Wales, at which point they will be Prince/Princess X of Wales.

My newest idea of a name it sounds also good:

Augusta Philippa Anne Claire
Louis James Constantine Albert

I hope they choose George Philip Charles Michael for a boy or Georgiana Elizabeth Diana Carole for a girl. :)

Girl: Alexandra Eleanor Carolina Frances

Boy: Cadwallader Ambrosius Octavius Brutus (if you really want to go back in history...) ;)

Girl: Victoria Elizabeth Diana Catherine
Boy: Arthur Philip Charles Michael

Artemisia said:

Not true. Princes do not use courtesy titles pertaining to their parent's peerage titles. William was never known as "Prince William of Wales, Duke of Rothesay" or "Prince William of Wales, Earl of Chester" or anything to that effect. He was never known as "Prince William of Wales, Lord Greenwich" either (through his grandfather's peerage titles).Thus, William's eldest son will be simply "HRH Prince Name of Cornwall and Cambridge" when/if Charles ascends the throne.

Besides, William is presently known as "HRH the Earl of Strathearn" in Scotland. Scottish officials congratulated "Their Royal Highnesses the Earl and Countess of Strathearn" on pregnancy - I must admit that made me wonder who they were referring to.

Last edited:
:previous:

That's true. William is a royal duke whereas using a peer's second highest title as a courtesy one is for non-royal dukes.

is it true, the Queen has the final say on baby names? i am thinking this was said when William was born.

I believe so since I've heard several times that she vetoed the name Annabelle for Princess Beatrice.

I believe so since I've heard several times that she vetoed the name Annabelle for Princess Beatrice.

I've also heard from the book Royal Britain that Diana wanted to call William John, but the Queen was against it, as it is said to be an unlucky royal name...

How far down does she have control over the names? I can't imagine that she gave the go ahead for Savannah and Isla?

Would the couple consider any of the the Danes for Godparents? I know the Greeks are the favorites but the Danish Royal Family have some cousins in the BRF as well

What degree of cousins are William and Frederick?
Their closest common ancestor was Christian IX of Denmark, making them 4th cousins through Prince Philip and Queen Margrethe, and 4th cousins once removed through Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe.

Through Queen Victoria, they are double 5th cousins (through Prince Philip and Queen Margrethe and through Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe).
Through Nicholas I of Russia, they are 5th cousins once removed.

Other degrees of relations exist as well but these are, to the best of my knowledge, the closest.

(Thanks to Artemisia for the relations)

Last edited:
How far down does she have control over the names? I can't imagine that she gave the go ahead for Savannah and Isla?

But Savannah and Isla aren't nearly as important, (dynastically), as William and Kate's baby will be, so I doubt the Queen felt the need to have any input with their names.
OTOH, Harry and especially William don't have as much leeway to do things completely according to personal preference and they've both spoken about times when the Queen has told them how things were or weren't going to be and it was clear she expected her advice to be taken.

^^^

So you could say that the Queen had an input or opinion on the names of her grandchildren but will only expect to be consulted on the names of great-grandchildren close to the top of the line of succession ie the children of William and Harry

i think its not that The Queen will be the last seal of approve but she would like to share her opinion with them. i dont see nothing wrong with that

I was awake last night, pondering the need to quickly name this baby! And I thought, why not name him for his Uncle Harry, who will be a big influence in his life? Maybe James Henry Michael Charles, which rolls off the tongue.
Or even Henry James Michael Charles. If they call the little fellow Henry, he won't get mixed up with Uncle Harry. However, being Henry IX does seem a bit heavy. Maybe best James Henry, and use both names so won't get mixed up with Edward's little boy James. Oh well, one does get obsessive at night when one can't sleep.
Lady Gabrielle, I do like the name Gabriella for a girl. I would like something which has a hint of tradition, but is not used a lot. And the reference to Angel Gabriel (same as Angel Michael) is stirring. In fact I would name a boy Gabriel and let the chips fall where they may. Henry Gabriel...Gabriel Henry....Can't have both Gabriel and Michael, too many angels on the head of that pin.

Here's another "different" name, Bridget, with a nod to Birgitta, Duchess of Gloucester, and honoring one of Ireland's patron saints.

Last edited:
:previous: lol - perhaps you need a nice milky drink! :ROFLMAO:

Here's another "different" name, Bridget, with a nod to Birgitta, Duchess of Gloucester, and honoring one of Ireland's patron saints.

I'd love to see the name 'Bridget' used. It's a lovely name, and works well for a child as well as an adult.

I'd love to see the name 'Bridget' used. It's a lovely name, and works well for a child as well as an adult.

I love the name too, but doubt it will happen. Nor will Morgan or, my favorite queen, Boudica or for boys Cormac, Niiall, etc. All for the same reasons. :previous:

Would the couple consider any of the the Danes for Godparents? I know the Greeks are the favorites but the Danish Royal Family have some cousins in the BRF as well

What degree of cousins are William and Frederick?
Their closest common ancestor was Christian IX of Denmark, making them 4th cousins through Prince Philip and Queen Margrethe, and 4th cousins once removed through Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe.

Through Queen Victoria, they are double 5th cousins (through Prince Philip and Queen Margrethe and through Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe).
Through Nicholas I of Russia, they are 5th cousins once removed.

Other degrees of relations exist as well but these are, to the best of my knowledge, the closest.

(Thanks to Artemisia for the relations)

They could of course select a Dane as a godparent, but unless a member of the Danish royal family is a close friend of William and Catherine I can't think of a reason why they would.

William and Kate went to see Mary and Frederick personally (no agenda) around the time of the royal wedding in 2011. This was shortly after the birth of the Danish twins. I thought at the time, maybe Wills and Kate are getting advice on having twins. Just a wild thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom