Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Children of Edward and Sophie have four names, and they aren't supposed to inherit the throne either.

I was merely using Beatrice and Eugenie as examples, dear Biri, to make my point. I could have used Peter and Zara too. I think if Charles and Diana had had a girl, they'd have given her four names too.

I don't think you can eliminate any name, whether the first name of a relative or family member or not. It's their child, if they like the name, they should be able to use it.

I don't think you can eliminate any name, whether the first name of a relative or family member or not. It's their child, if they like the name, they should be able to use it.

No? But it bears consideration with EVERY couple's choice of names for their children. You don't want your child to have the same name as a family member, particularly one of their own age generation, because that will be too confusing at family events. Everyone's gathered at Christmas and the kids are playing outside and then "Ask James to come inside" "Okay. James!" and two boys come running.

I am sure the child will have 4 names. I think Edward and Sophie gave Louise 4 names because if she had just been Louise Elizabeth Mary, she would have had the same middle names as Beatrice so they added Alice to ensure they were not the same. Hence, James was given a 4th name for tradition and they went crazy and called him Theo!

I really doubt they will call him James either, as Viscount Severn is too close in age to the baby. They will most likely not even be friends/that close, but at family gatherings they cannot have two of the same name. That also eliminates Edward, Henry, Charles or William. But, we could be made wrong and they could call the child something the same as a relative.

If the first is going to be a name from a previous Queen or Queen Consort, I tend to lean towards Alexandra or Alexandrina. Or maybe even shorten it to Alexis.

I certainly hope they don't shorten it to Alexis and I'm pretty sure they won't since Alexis is originally a masculine name.

And I associate that name with a soap opera "Dynasty":lol::ROFLMAO:

Except that it is not only their child. It is, in a way, a child of the state, a child who is meant to serve the nation one day and wear St Edward's Crown. It's quite clear that they can't pick any name they like just because they like it; even if they could, they shouldn't. It might one day be a burden to the child. The significance of the monarch's name is so great that George VI gave up the name he had used for four decades because it was deemed unsuitable ("too German"). Let's also bear in mind the Prince of Wales's own supposed intention to reign as George VII.

They can't go wrong with first names such as George, Elizabeth, Victoria and Mary. Names such as Philip and Diana could pose problems at some point. Anyway, there's a name that seems to be almost forgotten - Richard! Richard IV of the United Kingdom, anyone?

I have this sinking feeling that if they name the baby Victoria, at least one less-than-bright individual in the UK will think they named her for Victoria Beckham. Just watch.

McKeen said:
Girl: Alexandra Margaret Diana Anne

Boy: Philip Charles Arthur George

Don't forget, at Charles and Diana's wedding, she switched Charles's first two names, and that's what she said, Philip Charles Arthur George!

I would love a Queen Rose. Therefore Roce Catherine Carole Elizabeth. There has to be a first sometime. Victoria was a first.
For a King, I like Philip Michael Charles William. We shall see.

I am of those who want a name not so traditional, but obviously not so extravagant. There are several princely and beautiful names but they are not used in the history of the monarchy. And it's weird to think of a name Queen because until now there was only queens regents with two exceptions. So the names will be given to the new girls of the monarchy will be part of a "new" tradition.
Charlotte, Beatrice, Alexandra, Mary is so boring, predictable and old fashioned!
Nobody wants a queen Britney, or a king Justin

For boy could be:
Prince Arthur
Prince Alexander
Prince Alexis
Prince Richard
Prince Thomas
Prince Douglas
Martin Prince
Prince Stephan
Prince Bernard
Prince David
Prince Gabriel

For a girl, the first name could be:
Princess Elisa
Princess Alice
Princess Rose
Princess Vivian
Princess Vivianne
Princess Amanda
Princess Sarah
Princess Natalie
Princess Genevieve
Princess Eva
Princess Evelyn
Princess Angelica
Princess Sabrina
Princess Corrine
Princess Lilian
Princess Rebeca
Princess Juliet

I really like Vivianne and Arthur. Its beautiful names, mythical and popular today.

I think wymanda meant Diana (some of the contributers here suggested it as a first name) - and I completely agree with her. Beautiful as the name is, there is no need to put an immense burden of expectations on any daughter William and Kate will have. Diana as a middle name sounds great but as the first one - I sincerely hope not.
Sooo true! I think they will go for Diana as a second/third etc. name, but I really hope it will not be the first name.

Possible names are:
William (but not as a first forename, because of the father)
Henry (but not as a first forename, because of the uncle)
Stephen
Richard
John
Edward (but not as a first forename, because of the father's uncle)
James (but not as a first forename, because of the father's cousin)
Charles (but not as a first forename, because of the grandfather)
George

But I also think we can forget the names James, Charles, Henry or anything else that is used in the immediate family as a first name. As a middle name everything will do, but not as the name used on daily basis. So I really think, a son's first name will be George or John. I know John is said to be "jinxed" in the royal family. But Diana liked it very much, from what i have read, and I can image that William wants to make her a favour posthumous.

I also think "Michael" and "Charles" are also save as middle names for the two grandfathers.

So just the 4. name is completely free. Here I think Alfie, Alfred, Arthur, Louis, Ernest, Augustus, Frederick, Alexander, Francis, David, Patrick, Christian, Edmund, Albert, Philip, Robert.

In combination i go for
John Albert Michael Charles
George Philip Michael Charles
John Alfie Michael Charles
John Frederick Michael Charles
George Alexander Michael Charles

I like best: George Alfie Michael Charles

For a girl i would bet that "Diana" and "Carole" are withhin them - not because I like this names but because of the grandmothers.

The first forename could be either:
Matilda
Mary
(Jane)
Anne/a
Elizabeth
Victoria
I think most likely are Elizabeth and Victoria.

The 4. name is again free: Alexandra, Alice, Louise/a, Maud, Charlotte, Helena, Beatrice (but i don't think they will choose it), Adelaide, Caroline/a, Alberta, Augusta, Feodore/a, Georgiana, Sophie/a, Amelia, Matilda, Eleanor, Dorothea, Henrietta, Emma, Adeliza, Margaret, Isabella, Philippa, Joan, Catherine.

Elizabeth Matilda Carole Diana (i like best!)
Victoria Amelia Diana Carole
Victoria Charlotte Diana Carole
Victoria Emma Carole Diana

I would love them to use the name Carolina somewhere in the name. It is part of the baby's maternal and paternal grandmothers name. Or Frances/Francis as it would honour both Michael and Diana. I can't put my finger on why but I would love for the to honour Diana in some way without using the name Diana. It carries so much weight and expectation.

I've sometimes wondered, and this is based on nothing except my own feeling, whether William might not leave the name Diana free for any daughter Harry may have one day. Harry always seemed like his mom's boy to me, and so much of the family resources and heritage already go to William and his children.

I've sometimes wondered, and this is based on nothing except my own feeling, whether William might not leave the name Diana free for any daughter Harry may have one day. Harry always seemed like his mom's boy to me, and so much of the family resources and heritage already go to William and his children.

That's not a bad thought actually. Especially since Harry's future children will be further down the line of succession and therefore using Diana as a first name would be less dramatic.

Don't forget, at Charles and Diana's wedding, she switched Charles's first two names, and that's what she said, Philip Charles Arthur George!

Aha, the sequence did sound familiar! I'll have to come up with something else...;)

Good thought! I still like Alexandra.

I rather thought that since William got their mum'd engagement ring, Harry'd have dibs on the name. That way each of them gets to honor their mother with their new families.

I rather thought that since William got their mum'd engagement ring, Harry'd have dibs on the name. That way each of them gets to honor their mother with their new families.

Diana could be used as a first name for one and a middle name by the other of the princes. Or the first with a girl could claim Diana and the other could use Spencer for a boy (first or middle name). :) Georgiana would also a be a great Spencer tie - plus it also occurs in the Middleton tree.

Please not Matilda. I know it's historic, but it's so dated. Maude, ditto.

Please not Matilda. I know it's historic, but it's so dated. Maude, ditto.

Matilda's the name of my favorite Roald Dahl heroine, and also the name of the daughter of Michelle Williams and the late Heath Ledger. I've always personally really liked it.

I agree with you about Maude though.

I feel for poor Prince Richard, the current Duke of Gloucester. Here is everyone saying Richard is such a great name due to no one in the Family currently having that name and there's HRH..Over in the corner all by his lonesome....Not getting any kind of respect at all!!!

;). :D. ;)

I'm really overtired and I can get a wee bit punchy when I'm like this and see something that tickles my funny bone. I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now. :D

One boy's name that fits pretty much all the various lists and that popped into my head while tossing and turning trying to get to sleep is....

Malcolm

It's a traditional name, but not in a stuffy way. It's a Royal name in the Scottish line and also be a nice way to honour a place that is very dear to them, but doing it in a way that's not so obvious as using Andrew would be.

What does Everypne think?

That's not a bad thought actually. Especially since Harry's future children will be further down the line of succession and therefore using Diana as a first name would be less dramatic.

I'm sorry but I hope that neither of the boys names a daughter Diana. Using her middle name of Frances (or Francis) is much more subtle. A future son could also be given Spencer as a middle name. There are also traditional Spencer names like Georgiana that could be used in tribute to their mother's family.

I'm also hoping it's not too traditional (Arthur, George, Henry, Harold or Victoria, Elizabeth, Mary). First thoughts..

Boys:
Llewelyn (being last king of Wales probably not considered)
Alexander
Richard

Girls
Gwendolyn
Rosemary
Maryanne
Adeline
Alice
Georgina
Annabelle
Dorothea

Last edited:
Boy:
HRH Prince William Charles Henry of Wales

Girl:
HRH Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana of Wales

So.. future King William or Queen Victoria II of England

Boy:
HRH Prince William Charles Henry of Wales

Girl:
HRH Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana of Wales

So.. future King William or Queen Victoria II of England

William's children will be "of Cambridge" not Wales

I'm sorry but I hope that neither of the boys names a daughter Diana. Using her middle name of Frances (or Francis) is much more subtle. A future son could also be given Spencer as a middle name. There are also traditional Spencer names like Georgiana that could be used in tribute to their mother's family.

Since William has already used his and Harry's mother engagement ring to give to his fiancée and now wife, I surely hope he does not use Diana's first and middle names also.
It is a question of publicicly displying their late mother's heritage: a public display which should be equally divided between her two sons. So, William's got the ring, and Harry will get the names, if it makes any sense. I for one do not think Harry will call any daoughter of his Diana direclty, it would be crazy media pressure, but possibly Frances, or a boy John like she wished for William.
And, I also hope Harry's future wife will get a piece of iconic and very recognizable jewellery from Diana's heirloom, just like Kate and the ring. Even though Kate iw undeniably more important to the monarchy than Harry'w future wife, it would be nice that both daughter in laws could be associated to their late mother in law in the same way, because certianly Diana would have cared for each of them in the same way.
All this said, I'm going for:
boy: George Philip Charles Michael
girl: Anne Caroline Elizabeth Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom