Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a girl I'd love her to be called Caroline, Alexandra or Alice with Diana, Victoria, Helena, Elizabeth, Sarah as her middle names

For a boy I'm sure there's by a Henry, Phillip or George somewhere.

As far as God parents go Prince Harry for sure. I think James Middleton would be one too. I hope one of the Spencer aunts is chosen and one of his cousins - Beatice or Eugenie

I believe the most likely first names are George for a boy and Victoria (or Mary) for a girl. They can't go wrong with "George VII" and "Victoria II" (or "Mary III").

However, I would personally like to see Scotland honoured a bit more. We've seen four British monarchs who took regnal ordinals after English kings. Thus, it would be cool to see a king called "Alexander IV", "Robert IV" or "David III" or a queen called "Margaret II". "Prince David of Cambridge" sounds particularly good to my ears but I could be wrong. That said, I still think "George" and "Victoria" are most likely.

There are a few names I think we can safely rule out.

I agree and for the same reason I doubt they'd name a daughter Charlotte (the name of George IV's ill-fated daughter who was expected to succeed but was never Princess of Wales) or a son Philip (the English king who led an armada against his former kingdom). Though I do like how "Philip II of the United Kingdom" sounds, I don't think it's happening. Jane is also an extremely unlikely first name - no British princess has been named Jane (or Joan or Joanna or any variation thereof) since a certain Lady Jane Grey claimed to be queen contrary to acts of Parliament and ended up having her head chopped off.

I don't think they'll care if there are already an Elisabeth and a Victoria waiting to ascend European thrones - the BRF hasn't cared much about what other royal families do for some time now, and I can't blame them.

just asking (and a bit too lazy), are there more girls names with royal history in the past??? Elizabeth, Jane, Mary, Anne and Victoria were Queen Regnants but what about other famous women in the past history? William&Catherine might look behind the medieval times to search for a beautiful name.
i remenber that Frederik&Mary searched for the name of Isabella through history and found it beautiful and with historical ties.

just asking (and a bit too lazy), are there more girls names with royal history in the past??? Elizabeth, Jane, Mary, Anne and Victoria were Queen Regnants but what about other famous women in the past history? William&Catherine might look behind the medieval times to search for a beautiful name.
i remenber that Frederik&Mary searched for the name of Isabella through history and found it beautiful and with historical ties.

Just a few consorts of Kings from before Queen Victoria's time were Adelaide, Charlotte, Caroline and Sophia.

During the War of the Roses their was a spouse named Cecily which is pretty and prior to that going way back their were royal spouses named Matilda, Emma, Margaret, Edith, Eleonor and Isabel.

I'd go with William for a boy and Alice or Eleanor for a girl.

King William VI has a nice ring to it and Queen Alice is the best possible new addition to the names of British monarchs that I could imagine. Oh, my, that would make my year.

But Queen Eleanor is very queenly sounding and reaches so far back through history. A revival of that lovely name is much in order.

George is just so old-fashioned. Diana and Charles named their boys well, William and Harry are great names.

Henry/Harry is another option, it all depends on the couple's thinking about naming their child after someone living, and if so, who.

I will not be surprised at all if a boy is named Philip.

There are plenty of beautiful names with strong royal connections.

Names of English, Scottish and British Queens Regnant (in alphabetical order):
- Anne (Queen Anne)
- Elizabeth (Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II)
- Jane (Lady Jane Grey)
- Margaret (Maid of Norway)
- Mary (Queen of Scots, Mary I and Mary II)
- Matilda (Empress Matilda)
- Victoria (Queen Victoria)

Names of English, Scottish and British Queens Consort (in alphabetical order):
- Adelaide (of Saxe-Meiningen)
- Adeliza (of Louvain)
- Alexandra (of Denmark)
- Anabella (Drummond)
- Berengaria (of Navarre)
- Caroline (Caroline of Brandenburg-Ansbach, Caroline of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel)
- Catherine (Catherine of Valois, Catherine of Aragon, Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr, Catherine of Braganza)
- Charlotte (of Mecklenburg-Strelitz)
- Edith (of Wessex)
- Eleanor (Eleanor of Aquitaine, Eleanor of Provence, Eleanor of Castile)
- Emma (of Normandy)
- Eupehemia (de Ross)
- Henrietta Maria (of France)
- Isabella (Isabella of Angouleme, Isabella of Valois)
- Joan (Joan of England, Joan of the Tower, Joan Beaufort)
- Madeleine (of Valois)
- Maud (of Northumbria)
- Philippa (of Hainault)
- Sybilla (of Normandy)
- Yolande (de Dreux)

Names of English, Scottish or British Princesses (in alphabetical order):
- Adela (of Normandy)
- Agatha (of Normandy)
- Alexandrina (Queen Victoria's first name)
- Alice (Alice of the United Kingdom, Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott, Alice of Albany)
- Amelia (Amelia of Hanover, Amelia of the United Kingdom)
- Augusta (Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, Augusta of of Hesse-Kassel, Augusta of Great Britain, Augusta of Cambridge)
- Beatrice (Beatrice of England, Beatrice of the United Kingdom, Beatrice of Edinburgh)
- Blanche (Blanche of England, Blanche of the Tower)
- Bridget (of York)
- Cecilia (Cecilia of Normandy, Cecily of York)
- Constance (of Normandy)
- Frederica (Frederica of Prussia, Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Frederica of Hanover, Frederica of Hanover and Brunswick-Luneburg)
- Gytha (of Wessex)
- Helena (Helena of the United Kingdom, Helena of Waldeck)
- Juliana (of England)
- Louise (Louise of Prussia, Louise of Great Britain, Louise, Queen of Denmark, Louise, Duchess of Argyll, Louise of Wales)
- Maria (Maria Walpole, Marie of Saxe-Altenburg, Grand Duchess Maria of Russia, Marie of Hanover, Marie of Edinburgh)
- Marjorie (Marjorie of Scotland, Marjorie Bruce)
- Olga (of Hanover and Cumberland)
- Patricia (of Connaught)
- Sophia (Sophia of England, Sophia of Hanover, Sophia of Gloucester)
- Thyra (of Denmark)

Last edited:
:previous:
A girl would most likely be named after a previous queen regnant, but Matilda and Jane are certainly off limits. They wouldn't want to name a future monarch after either of them, especially not after Lady Jane Grey whose monarchical status is strongly disputed. A "Jane II" would imply that Lady Jane Grey was indeed a queen regnant and would downplay the importance of the Parliament.

Thus, we're left with Elizabeth, Victoria, Anne, Mary and Margaret as the most suitable first names for a female firstborn.

Last edited:
^thank you for the names!

there is also some that i like Arabella, Jocelyn, Erika (not that traditional though), Elle, Ella, Esther, Kathleen, Mariam, Josephine, Eleanor, Primrose (unlikely), Rose, Sophia, Genevieve, ...

Queen Elle??? Queen Primrose??? Queen Ella?? Queen Genevieve??? I think people have to put "Queen" in front of their choices and then think twice about what they would name a possible future monarch. The British royal family are not known for naming their children after soap opera characters or supermodels.

A year ago, I would have said Queen Estelle is extremely unlikely too. ;)
Not that I disagree with you; William and Kate are almost certain to choose a very traditional name for their first born, most likely, a name of a previous Monarch,

Queen Elle??? Queen Primrose??? Queen Ella?? Queen Genevieve??? I think people have to put "Queen" in front of their choices and then think twice about what they would name a possible future monarch. The British royal family are not known for naming their children after soap opera characters or supermodels.

Hey, I personally love the sound of Queen Genevieve!

/My name is Genevieve.

Well if we are going to go out of the box to fantasy land:

Tinkerbelle Beyonce Coco Boadecia
Beckham Boru LLewelyn MacBeth

A year ago, I would have said Queen Estelle is extremely unlikely too. ;)
Not that I disagree with you; William and Kate are almost certain to choose a very traditional name for their first born, most likely, a name of a previous Monarch,

Uh, I still can't get over "Estelle"... a French name for a child who should be the "Swedishest" of all Swedes, and instead of a name of several Swedish queens regnant (or at least queens consort) - Christina being the most obvious one. Yeah, I know, "it's a pretty name" and all that stuff, but still quite inappropriate.

Umm...Savannah and Isla?

They are not actually members of the royal family so they don't really "count". They are not princesses of the United Kingdom and their parents carry out no official duties, so neither of them is expected to do so. They're basically celebrities with cool ancestry. But I did find those names bizarre, I must admit.

Cecilia is gorgeous but to French sounding to be a true possibility. I'm hoping for something a little different but still historical name just like Mary and Fred did with Princess Isabella.

Whatever name they choose, journalists will dig through the history books and drag out something horrible about someone who had the same name: Isabel (She-wolf of France); John (Lackland); Edward (Longshanks or Hammer of the Scots); Mary (Bloody Mary) and so on.

Since I did my list a few days ago, I've read all of the suggestions and am adding Eleanor to my list - it is a beautiful name.

HHHermione, I love the name Genevieve. It was the name of my mother's eldest sister, who died as a child. It is a name which was very popular among Irish Catholics back around the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries. Because Genevieve was a revered saint.
Did you know Queen Margaret of Scotland is a saint to the Catholic Church? And also to the Episcopal Church in the USA (I suppose therefore to the Church of England).

It is not far out for a royal name although of course unusual. I am in favor of traditional but unusual names for the babies. Plenty of those names, as I posted before, such as Alice.

I believe Estelle was a woman married to the first modern king of Sweden. They were divorced at some point, so she is controversial as a role model, but I think Victoria may be a maverick and supportive of royal women. I have heard they are even trying to emerge the tiara which belonged to the original Estelle; is that right, do you remember?

HHHermione, I love the name Genevieve. It was the name of my mother's eldest sister, who died as a child. It is a name which was very popular among Irish Catholics back around the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries. Because Genevieve was a revered saint.
Did you know Queen Margaret of Scotland is a saint to the Catholic Church? And also to the Episcopal Church in the USA (I suppose therefore to the Church of England).

It is not far out for a royal name although of course unusual. I am in favor of traditional but unusual names for the babies. Plenty of those names, as I posted before, such as Alice.

I believe Estelle was a woman married to the first modern king of Sweden. They were divorced at some point, so she is controversial as a role model, but I think Victoria may be a maverick and supportive of royal women. I have heard they are even trying to emerge the tiara which belonged to the original Estelle; is that right, do you remember?

Thank you! Yes, St. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris. I consider it HIGHLY unlikely as a choice as well, and in fact, would be quite dismayed because all of a sudden, my rather unique name would be the next Jennifer or Brittany :) I guarantee the name they choose will see a major resurgence in popularity, no matter what they go with.

I was only registering my objection to seeing my name included as a nouveau name fit only for super models or actresses when it's a very old name with quite a lot of history and dignity behind it. :)

And yes, I rather like the fact that Victoria chose to name Estelle after one of the lesser known women in her family history. I thought it was a beautiful idea. Not sure about the jewelry rumor though.

How about Margaret, after the Queen's late sister? (And my mother...)

Hermione, I did read that it was rumored that "Estelle's" tiara was being emerged from wherever it was stored. That previous Estelle being the wife of Count Bernadotte.

I can see where it would be awful to have a name which became the New Jennifer. My name Mariel, oddly, is so unusual that I have met face to face only one other. I spent my childhood pronouncing and spelling it. Today I don't have as much trouble as I just say it very distinctly and spell if requested. As a child I was Marilyn, Mary, Marie, Mabel, Muriel, Merrill, Mary Ellen and probably several more I've forgotten. It is a joining of the name Mary Elliott, my grandmother. I just sign Margaret for my other grandmother if I can't stand dealing with the name-struggle.

McKeen, I have posted that I am keen on the name "Margaret" for the royal baby. Has some good associations in history, and also was the name of the Queen's sister. I like the other Scots names too, Alice (for Princess Alice) and Robert (for several Kings of Scotland) and Margery for the mother of Robert II of Scotland (sometimes spelled Marjorie). Of course there are lots more Scots names. For some reason I am very attached to the odd name Margery, perhaps because of the touching way in which Margery died in childbirth in an abbey near where my Scots family lived.

I don't think Margaret is likely because she was an aunt and not a direct ancestor and because there wasn't an English queen named Margaret. There's also little Margarita Armstrong-Jones, whom William and Kate had in their wedding party. I don't think you're going to see any repeats of names. I do like the idea of them adding a name that has some connection to where they've been living for the last few years or perhaps to Wales or Cambridge. The last Duke of Cambridge was Queen Mary's brother and her nickname was May. I wonder if they might change up the name a little bit and use May as one of the middle names instead of Mary.

There were in fact several English Queens named Margaret:
- Margaret of France (wife of Henry the Young King)
- Margaret of France (second wife of Edward I)
- Margaret of Anjou (wife of Henry VI)

There was also a Queen Regnant with the name, albeit in Scotland, not England - Margaret, Maid of Norway (granddaughter and heiress of Alexander III of Scotland). Because of that, any future Queen of the United Kingdom will be Margaret II, not Margaret I.

Well if we are going to go out of the box to fantasy land:

Tinkerbelle Beyonce Coco Boadecia
Beckham Boru LLewelyn MacBeth

I'll add Latifah to that list. :whistling:

Since I did my list a few days ago, I've read all of the suggestions and am adding Eleanor to my list - it is a beautiful name.
But there will be a Queen with this name in Spain (Leonor is the Spanish equivalent of Eleanor) so I think it's less probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom