Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Genevieve is my name :)

I've always been fond of it.
well here is hoping for that!! i love the name genevieve. so elegant!!

"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

My remark was about the Parliaments taking the time to do it correctly. In Canada the rush to push the legislation through Parliament without debate and without consulting the provinces may very well result in a constitutional challenge being fought in the courts. Sound reasoning and consideration could have avoided controversy and future problems.
No one is seriously arguing that the change should not be made, merely that it be done right.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy

ok. one last idea. for a boy, how about spencer?
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1971 View Post
ok. one last idea. for a boy, how about spencer?
I think that would be nice for a normal family, but I think it's out of the question for a future monarch.

I'd consider it unlikely even for a second son, but definitely out of the question for this first baby.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

HM King Spencer !! No, I do not think that one is in the running at all,
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
HM King Spencer !! No, I do not think that one is in the running at all,
well maybe, but it woulld be kind of interesting!!! haha
Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Aristocracy

My absolute final guesses;
Boy: Philip Charles Edward George
Girl: Charlotte Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth
Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

how about britainy as a girl's name?? powerful stuff!!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
My absolute final guesses;
Boy: Philip Charles Edward George
Girl: Charlotte Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth

HRH Prince William's maternal uncle, the Earl Spencer, named his youngest daughter Charlotte Diana. I am doubtful for HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post

HRH Prince William's maternal uncle, the Earl Spencer, named his youngest daughter Charlotte Diana. I am doubtful for HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge.
many peoples don't know who Earl Spencer is or who his daughter name is and I think most don't care at all. If Will and Catherine names there child Charlotte most won't put two and two together and we are talking about Royal Family not William other side of the family, also nothing wrong with naming a child the same name as someone else family if they are older and if they are on a different side of the family. It doesn't matter and wouldn't affect anything.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post

many peoples don't know who Earl Spencer is or who his daughter name is and I think most don't care at all. If Will and Catherine names there child Charlotte most won't put two and two together and we are talking about Royal Family not William other side of the family, also nothing wrong with naming a child the same name as someone else family if they are older and if they are on a different side of the family. It doesn't matter and wouldn't affect anything.
I understand the logic in regards to the general public not knowing who Charlotte Spencer is and therefore not creating confusion on a public level there.

However, Charlotte Diane Spencer was born July 30, 2012. That makes her almost exactly (or exactly, depending on the day) a year older than Baby Cambridge. Having two Charlottes that close in age in the family can be confusing on a family sense, and in my opinion is a bit of a dick move on the part of William and Catherine. Yes, at one point it would have been common for cousins to have the same (or similar) names, but it isn't so common now, and it would be unfair to Charlotte Spencer to have her name taken to be used by her slightly younger and more famous cousin.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
I don't get the sense that the families are that involved anymore. If you hardly see your cousin does it matter that you have the same first name?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Philip would be such a lovely name for a boy and I'm sure that HM would agree with that.
Yes, that would be awesome! King Philip II! Not that the first one set a good example, though. You know, with sending the Armada against his former kingdom and stuff But still, it would be great to see a Philip II of the United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I don't think either of the names are unlikely, nor do I think that names like Alexander, David or Margaret are unlikely choices either (and I, like you, would be stoked if they chose a name from the list of Scottish monarch). I don't understand why those names are less workable than names like Victoria or George?
I believe Victoria and George are more workable due to political issues. Neither of the names was used more often in one kingdom than in the other. Naming the baby after (a) Scottish monarch(s) might be seen as a nod to the Scottish independence movement. On the other hand, it might also be interpreted as linking the monarchy closer with Scotland. As a history buff (especially one who is likely to see this child ascend), I will be thrilled if the baby is indeed named after a Scottish monarch. Being aware of how the media and politicians search for hidden meanings in everything, however, it seems likely to me that they will opt for a "safer" option - at least when it comes to the firstborn.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

It was just a fancy when I described Baby Cambridge wearing art nouveau clothing when she got to be Lady Louise's age. Nothing I really see in the future for Baby Cambridge.
She is far more likely (if it's a girl) to be dressed in the sturdy conservative fashions like her cousin Louise.
I am not a big fan of the names Diana and Diane, as I prefer the medieval names we have been discussing. I think Elizabeth has been given a lot of use lately, and I would prefer to see it retired or a while, that's all. Of course, Elizabeth is an excellent Biblical name, which cannot be faulted as a fine royal name.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Nobility

Guess I'd better settle on name guesses before baby C shows up

girl - Sophia Anne Caroline (or perhaps Charlotte instead of Caroline - both sound nice to me as a third name)
Sophia after the Electress who was the basis for the current royals being so and because I think it's elegant and pretty.

boy - Arthur Francis Phillip George
Old 07-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Commoner

Princess Diana - and she would be that in her own right which her tragic grandmother never was. Princess and eventually Queen Diana - wouldnt that be marvellous revenge from the murky waters of Althorp !!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKellyFan View Post
Princess Diana - and she would be that in her own right which her tragic grandmother never was. Princess and eventually Queen Diana - wouldnt that be marvellous revenge from the murky waters of Althorp !!
true, but too politically charged!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKellyFan View Post
I would hope William is neither that stupid nor willful,
Old 07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Commoner

He is certainly as willful as his mother was, not sure about stupid.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Serene Highness

I have a feeling it's going to be traditional name under the media's radar, just like how the Swedes surprised us with Estelle. My (random) guesses
Boy: Alexander. Okay, this one is not completely under the radar, but William was named after the Duke of Gloucester's late brother, so maybe they'll continue that tradition and choose the same name as the Duke's son. Also, a good way to honor the Kent cousins, aka Princess Alexandra of Kent.

Girl: Matilda. Very traditional name during the Norman era, and I like to see a revival. The Empress Matilda was a designated heiress who was robbed of her throne, so it would be very symbolic with the passage of the new succession rules.