The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1921  
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I hope the Cambridges only have sons.
May I ask why?
__________________

__________________
  #1922  
Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
^^^^
Sure. All boys avoids any issues around the new succession laws being passed in a rush and it avoids the possibility of a Princess or Queen Diana which would be fodder for the tabloids. Also when you have a future king you eventully are likely to get a future Queen Consort.
__________________

__________________
  #1923  
Old 06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,034
William and Kate's wedding was so traditional that much of the music was either medieval or written to sound medieval (and very beautiful new "medieval" music). For this reason I think they might consult the Way Back Machine, and that "traditional" will mean old, really old, medieval. They could make an end run around all the monarchs who were steeped in controversy, were ill, were murdered, murdered too many others, etc. Way Back. I've already given a few Way Back names. The names of famous leaders in the 12th century (and late 11th and early 13th) were of people who lived in a blossoming era, who thought of themselves as making a world with all the best of tradition and the best of the new, like the new-fangled stone castles and churches. Great builders. Prince Charles knows this history and it is one reason he loves architecture and building.
__________________
  #1924  
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
Sure, but when was the last time a princess was named Eleanor? The last time one was named Matilda (after centuries of no Matildas in the family) was in 1751, and that one died as the exiled and disgraced queen of Denmark and Norway.

Royal Eleanors were not very lucky either. One spent many years imprisoned by her husband, one spent almost her entire life imprisoned by her uncle and cousin so that she could not claim the English crown (which she would have inherited under male-preferance primogeniture), one was so unpopular that Londoners almost stoned her to death, one was supposedly a leper, and one angered the Church by breaking her vow of chastity. To be honest, I am not surprised that there haven't been any Eleanors in the family since the Middle Ages
If every name that has some sort of bad association should be thrown away, there wouldn't be many names for them to use left Though I can't speak for the history of Matildas (other than the wonderful Empress Matilda, of course), I believe I have read somewhere that Princess Diana was very passionate about a daughter Eleanor (this could obviously be a rumour though), so that, I believe, would make the name even more attractive for them to use. Despite the fact that Eleanor of Aquitaine quite rightly was imprisoned by Henry II, she mainly is remembered for her intelligence and good sense of leadership, and I will bet that she is the Eleanor most people will think of when hearing the name. Eleanor of Aquitaine, despite the history of ill-fated Eleanors, is the epitome of a great namesake for a possible future Queen, and I still can't say that I see a reason for them to count it out (the same goes for Matilda).
__________________
"Blessed be god, the king, the queen and all our sweet children be in good health."
— Lady Margaret Beaufort, April 1497

  #1925  
Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Deloraine, Australia
Posts: 3
I do think if they have a girl the name Diana will be either the 2nd or 3rd name. Could be Alexandra would be the first name. If a boy I think the name Philip or George would be contenders.
__________________
  #1926  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Kotroman's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: -, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
If every name that has some sort of bad association should be thrown away, there wouldn't be many names for them to use left Though I can't speak for the history of Matildas (other than the wonderful Empress Matilda, of course), I believe I have read somewhere that Princess Diana was very passionate about a daughter Eleanor (this could obviously be a rumour though), so that, I believe, would make the name even more attractive for them to use. Despite the fact that Eleanor of Aquitaine quite rightly was imprisoned by Henry II, she mainly is remembered for her intelligence and good sense of leadership, and I will bet that she is the Eleanor most people will think of when hearing the name. Eleanor of Aquitaine, despite the history of ill-fated Eleanors, is the epitome of a great namesake for a possible future Queen, and I still can't say that I see a reason for them to count it out (the same goes for Matilda).
I did not say that the names Matilda and Eleanor were unlikely because of the history of the namesakes. They are unlikely simply because... they are. None of the relatives bears one of those names and I don't see William and Catherine going all Frederik-and-Mary either (by naming their child after a medieval ancestor). To say the least, they are absolutely not doing that with the first name of the firstborn
__________________
  #1927  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
William and Kate's wedding was so traditional that much of the music was either medieval or written to sound medieval (and very beautiful new "medieval" music). For this reason I think they might consult the Way Back Machine, and that "traditional" will mean old, really old, medieval. They could make an end run around all the monarchs who were steeped in controversy, were ill, were murdered, murdered too many others, etc. Way Back. I've already given a few Way Back names. The names of famous leaders in the 12th century (and late 11th and early 13th) were of people who lived in a blossoming era, who thought of themselves as making a world with all the best of tradition and the best of the new, like the new-fangled stone castles and churches. Great builders. Prince Charles knows this history and it is one reason he loves architecture and building.
Fine with me, as long as they don't choose Ethelred or Boadicea!
__________________
  #1928  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post

Royal Eleanors were not very lucky either. One spent many years imprisoned by her husband, one spent almost her entire life imprisoned by her uncle and cousin so that she could not claim the English crown (which she would have inherited under male-preferance primogeniture), one was so unpopular that Londoners almost stoned her to death, one was supposedly a leper, and one angered the Church by breaking her vow of chastity. To be honest, I am not surprised that there haven't been any Eleanors in the family since the Middle Ages

Which was supposedly a leper?
__________________
  #1929  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Kotroman's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: -, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 464

Edward II's daughter, Eleanor of Woodstock. According to the "Historical Dictionary of the British Monarchy", she actually stripped naked in front of the court to prove that she was not a leper. That's... interesting.
__________________
  #1930  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 983
Since it's July now and the baby will be born within a few weeks, here are my predictions for a girl: Victoria, Alexandra, Charlotte or Elizabeth. If not Elizabeth as a first name, I think it will be in there somewhere (the same with Diana). I think the names Catherine or Caroline could be in there somewhere as well (Caroline might be a good traditional way to honour Kate's mother?)

I don't have much idea for boy names. David, Alexander or Michael, with Philip and Charles as second or third names. Maybe even Philip as a first name?

For either girl or boy, I think William and Kate will choose a traditional name. They just seem like cautious people when it comes to styles.
__________________
  #1931  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not telling, France
Posts: 18
My guess is a baby girl on the 14th of July who will be named: Alexandra Elizabeth Caroline Diana
__________________
  #1932  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I did not say that the names Matilda and Eleanor were unlikely because of the history of the namesakes. They are unlikely simply because... they are. None of the relatives bears one of those names and I don't see William and Catherine going all Frederik-and-Mary either (by naming their child after a medieval ancestor). To say the least, they are absolutely not doing that with the first name of the firstborn
Well, I guess we'll agree on disagreeing. I guess it must just be me, but I'd much prefer a name of my own than I'd want to share it with a relative. Again, that might be a matter of opinions Eleanor and Matilda are both old without sounding too old (as opposed to a name like George), and furthermore would Matilda be a lovely homage to Australia, but what do I know? They might choose a completely different name for all we know. Regarding that last line, do you know William and Catherine personally? Otherwise I doubt that you're in the position to judge whether they're "absolutely not doing" anything
__________________
"Blessed be god, the king, the queen and all our sweet children be in good health."
— Lady Margaret Beaufort, April 1497

  #1933  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Well, I guess we'll agree on disagreeing. I guess it must just be me, but I'd much prefer a name of my own than I'd want to share it with a relative. Again, that might be a matter of opinions Eleanor and Matilda are both old without sounding too old (as opposed to a name like George), and furthermore would Matilda be a lovely homage to Australia, but what do I know? They might choose a completely different name for all we know. Regarding that last line, do you know William and Catherine personally? Otherwise I doubt that you're in the position to judge whether they're "absolutely not doing" anything
The name might be a homage to Australia, but the story associated with the famous Aussie song is not an especially happy one:
"
The title is Australian slang for travelling by foot with one's goods (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) in a "Matilda" (bag) slung over one's back.[2] The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of tea at a bush camp and capturing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker for the theft, the worker commits suicide by drowning himself in the nearby watering hole, after which his ghost haunts the site."
__________________
  #1934  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Fine with me, as long as they don't choose Ethelred or Boadicea!
Oh I think Boadicea would be a splendid choice!

People could give her swords as christening gifts. Like the one she holds in my avi.
__________________
  #1935  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,532
Which spelling would they use?

The older one - Boadicea or the more accepted modern one Boudicca - with the older soft 'c' and then the 'e' and 'a' pronounced separately or the hard 'k' sound with just the 'a' as is the now accepted pronounciation of the name of the Iceni Queen who challenged Rome resulting in the deaths and mutilations of 100,000s of Britons and Romans, through war and then starvation (the Britons were so convinced that they would win they didn't both sowing their crops that summer and so had no food for the subsequent winter).
__________________
  #1936  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Kotroman's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: -, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Well, I guess we'll agree on disagreeing. I guess it must just be me, but I'd much prefer a name of my own than I'd want to share it with a relative. Again, that might be a matter of opinions Eleanor and Matilda are both old without sounding too old (as opposed to a name like George), and furthermore would Matilda be a lovely homage to Australia, but what do I know? They might choose a completely different name for all we know.
Oh, I am not saying that I do not like the names. They are both great, but if we are going to be realistic, we have to admit that they are simply very unlikely choices. As I said, I would be thrilled if they named their baby Malcolm/Alexander/David/Robert/Margaret (basically if they took the name out of the list of Scottish monarchs), but I am aware that the chances of that happening are very, very slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I guess it must just be me, but I'd much prefer a name of my own than I'd want to share it with a relative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Regarding that last line, do you know William and Catherine personally? Otherwise I doubt that you're in the position to judge whether they're "absolutely not doing" anything
These two parts of your post just don't work well together, don't you think? Either we both can identify with them, or neither of us can
__________________
  #1937  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
Sure. All boys avoids any issues around the new succession laws being passed in a rush and it avoids the possibility of a Princess or Queen Diana which would be fodder for the tabloids. Also when you have a future king you eventully are likely to get a future Queen Consort.
Of course, why would we want sexist laws over turned? Phew, bring on the boys.

Or William could just not name a child Diana.

Oh my god, we may get a queen consort? So exciting, I didn't think of that possibility. A queen consort, throw out the changes to the laws, queen consorts are so fabulous, we should only have kings.Who needs those darn things called prince consorts.
__________________
  #1938  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Of course, why would we want sexist laws over turned? Phew, bring on the boys.

Or William could just not name a child Diana.

Oh my god, we may get a queen consort? So exciting, I didn't think of that possibility. A queen consort, throw out the changes to the laws, queen consorts are so fabulous, we should only have kings.Who needs those darn things called prince consorts.
Well that is not exactly what I said but your idea works just as well for me. Glad we are in agreement. Thanks.
__________________
  #1939  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Which spelling would they use?

The older one - Boadicea or the more accepted modern one Boudicca - with the older soft 'c' and then the 'e' and 'a' pronounced separately or the hard 'k' sound with just the 'a' as is the now accepted pronounciation of the name of the Iceni Queen who challenged Rome resulting in the deaths and mutilations of 100,000s of Britons and Romans, through war and then starvation (the Britons were so convinced that they would win they didn't both sowing their crops that summer and so had no food for the subsequent winter).
I favour the older spelling, because it's the one I grew up with. The modern one might be accepted now, but it sounds harsh to me. Either will do though.

Yes, her war against Rome didn't end well, but she had a pretty good reason for starting it, and she did well for a while. And at least she tried.
__________________
  #1940  
Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MO, United States
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Of course, why would we want sexist laws over turned? Phew, bring on the boys.

Or William could just not name a child Diana.

Oh my god, we may get a queen consort? So exciting, I didn't think of that possibility. A queen consort, throw out the changes to the laws, queen consorts are so fabulous, we should only have kings.Who needs those darn things called prince consorts.
I think what NGalitzine was saying is that having boys would remove the urgency to change the laws -- the laws would get changed eventually. But having a firstborn boy removes the need to rush any changes through since the direct line of succession would be all-male for at least two to three more decades and the law wouldn't be needed to prevent the possibility of a firstborn daughter being displaced as heir over a younger son.

I get that it's a symbolic issue, though. The law would be changed, but there'd be no urgency for it. I'm not rooting for one sex or the other, personally. :P
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HRH Duke Carlos Javier (1970- ) and the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma: August 2010- Warren Royal Families of Italy 220 10-04-2014 03:36 PM
Potential Names and Godparents for Zara Phillips Tindall and Mike Tindall First Child Zonk The Princess Royal and Family 110 06-05-2014 04:47 AM
Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 3615 07-22-2013 02:30 AM
Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby principessa Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 390 07-26-2009 11:56 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman poland prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]