Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
George of course has been the name of 6 kings of the UK, Louis could be a nod to both the Duke of Edinburghs uncle and Viscount Althorp - so both Williams parents families are honoured

My greatest fear...but also...predictable. GEORGE!!!! I HATE THE NAME, but I love the prince and that's what matters, I think as more as I see him in pictures and possible future appearences, I believe the name will grow a bit on me.

I really like Alexander and Louis, nice choices of middle names. And I am surprised as well by 3 names and not 4, but it's also not bad at all, sometimes lots of names can be confusing in certain circumstances.

Prince George William Arthur Phillip idk so many possibilities, but we will just have to wait for what will and kate decide on.

I do think the name as combination does flow very nicely surprised it is only 3 names and I really love the middle names but George was very predictable, we have had so many and recently was hoping for a different first name but you never know he may pick one of his middle names as he Monarch name

I agree that they probably avoided some family names so they don't leave anyone out.
It's one of Prince Charles's names. The media is completely missing that. Apparently the couple said they choose it because they liked it, not for any significance, but I don't know.

Lets scratch all possibilities baby cambridge is

::drumroll :: HRH Prince George alexander Louis of cambridge
::teddy bear::

My greatest fear...but also...predictable. GEORGE!!!! I HATE THE NAME, but I love the prince and that's what matters, I think as more as I see him in pictures and possible future appearences, I believe the name will grow a bit on me.

I really like Alexander and Louis, nice choices of middle names. And I am surprised as well by 3 names and not 4, but it's also not bad at all, sometimes lots of names can be confusing in certain circumstances.

I agree. Not keen on the name George at all. Never liked it and don't see it changing even with the Royal Baby sporting it. I love Alexander and would have been okay with Louie....but then it isn't my child. :)

I agree. Not keen on the name George at all. Never liked it and don't see it changing even with the Royal Baby sporting it. I love Alexander and would have been okay with Louie....but then it isn't my child. :)

It still better then Henry or John.

What I mean is they didn't use first names like Charles, Philip, Henry or Michael.

It's one of Prince Charles's names. The media is completely missing that. Apparently the couple said they choose it because they liked it, not for any significance, but I don't know.

Of course, but all of those names (or variants of them) have long associations with the BRF in general.

Alexander is probably a nod to HM, and I think having three names (especially considering Alexander's position among the three) might be as well.

But not including a Spencer name while including a Middleton name or vice versa would sure set the media a-chattering.

3 names is not exactly an innovation. QEII has only 3 names and her sister had only 2 names. I don't think anyone will be kicking or screaming about this, nor can I see how having 3 names has anything to do with the 21st century.

Georges V and VI both had four names, and so do Charles, William, and Harry. So do the Duke of York, the Earl of Wessex, Viscount Severn, the Duke of Gloucester, and Prince Michael of Kent (among others). Four names has been the standard for male HRHs for the entirety of living memory (save Edward VIII, who had seven names, and the Duke of Kent, who has five).

I'm pretty sure in the media, at least, keeping it to three will be regarded as a mild break with tradition and therefore a more modern choice.

Of course, but all of those names (or variants of them) have long associations with the BRF in general.

Alexander is probably a nod to HM, and I think having three names (especially considering Alexander's position among the three) might be as well.

But not including a Spencer name while including a Middleton name or vice versa would sure set the media a-chattering.

It has on Facebook and Twitter. I think with the First Child they wanted to go with a (or mostly entirely) more traditional British/Royal names as it will be the Future King.

I bet if they have a Second and Third child then we will see some names honoring the Spencers and the Middletons.

I agree. The media would have gone crazy if they had honored Diana and/or the Middletons but not Charles.

was the surname confirmed

Why would a surname need to be confirmed? As a royal he won't regularly use one.

If he needs one, his surname would be Mountbatten-Windsor. What is more likely to happen, however, is that in everyday use when he requires a surname he'll use Cambridge.

I expected George, though I am a bit disappointed that there is no "Phillip" in the list of baby names

I like the name Combination. Louis is Prince William Middle name and Lord Mountbatten Name.

Some asked about Alexander, Alexander is a male version of Alexandra which could be honoring The Queen Great Grandmother Alexandra of Denmark who was the wife of King Edward VII.

Alexandra is also the Queen Middle name.

I think you got the right idea why these names were picked, to honor the past relatives of the Windsors.
George: all the Kings named George including the Queen's beloved father. Louis for Duke William, Prince Charles and Prince Philip in honor of their relative Lord Mountbatten.

Alexander in honor of the Queen and Alexandra of Denmark. (Because the only kingly sounding male name beginning with E is Edward. And we already have a living Prince Edward.)

Does anyone else know another reason why Alexander would be picked? The way it sounds with the other names or Alexander the Great? Is there someone in the past in the Middleton family with that name? Need to do some research.;)

It has on Facebook and Twitter. I think with the First Child they wanted to go with a (or mostly entirely) more traditional British/Royal names as it will be the Future King.

I bet if they have a Second and Third child then we will see some names honoring the Spencers and the Middletons.

I agree with you about the other royal children that hopefully will follow.;)

Feeling slightly ambivalent about the name. While I think that George Alexander Louis is such a lovely combination that clings so well, I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't give him four names and didn't include either Philip or Arthur. I think we had all seen George coming and the Alexander Louis combination right after really brightens the very heavy name that I think George is - it does for me at least. I had guessed that Alexander might've been one of the names, but I'm surprised to see Louis in there. But it's a lovely name and I'm sure it has pleased both Philip and Charles that Earl Mountbatten has been honoured once again. I think that either Philip or Arthur easily could have been made the little lad's fourth name. George Philip Alexander Louis or George Alexander Louis Arthur could have worked just fine. But oh well, it's a terrific name anyway.

And George and Matilda sounds lovely, so there's still hope that my number one guess for George, had he been a girl, will be given to a possible future sister of the little Prince :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the world, future King George VII!

If its true that the royal family won't have cousins with the same name, I hope they leave some names for Prince Harry.

Harry has more freedom in the names he chooses. His children don't have to have monarchical names.

I wish the palace had issued a statement saying how they're going to pronounce Louis. They pronounced it "Loo-ee" at William and Kate's wedding, and Philip's Mountbatten uncle and grandfather were "Loo-ee." But, I've already heard same reporters saying the name as "Lou-iss," as in St. Louis.

Haha, it will be funny to see how many babies will be named George and Georgina from now on. :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom