Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HRH Prince Arthur [honours father and paternal grandfather]
Philip [honours paternal great-grandfather]
Michael [honours maternal grandfather

I hope that they don't use the name Oliver.
It does not have any positive Royal history to accompany it and it is too common and trendy as a name these days.
It's a guess but my money is on 'No'.

Viscount James cannot be the new baby's first cousin once removed. First cousins are one's parents' siblings children. Harry has no children and I don't think any of Kate's sibs do either (don't know), but if one was named James, yes, that would be strange. It's William's first cousin - so baby's second cousin, once removed, if it's the second cousin's child. Fairly distant.

No, Viscount James is William's first cousin - therefore James is Baby Cambridge's FIRST cousin once removed. Viscount James children will be second cousins to Baby Cambridge.

They can give the baby more than four names, if they want. And to honour all relatives.;)

They can give the baby more than four names, if they want. And to honour all relatives.;)

Wow, that could mean a lot of names. In no particular order: Charles, Michael, Philip, Francis (for Diana), Edward, James, George, Andrew, Henry.

No, Viscount James is William's first cousin - therefore James is Baby Cambridge's FIRST cousin once removed. Viscount James children will be second cousins to Baby Cambridge.

I think there are different understandings of the types of cousins depending on background and nationality.

I had never heard of 'once removed' when referring to cousins until reading this board.

My parents' first cousins have always been my 'second cousins' and that is how my friends etc refer to the same relationship. The children of those cousins are my 'third cousins'. It is quite simple - count the degrees of separation and that equals the cousins. That is how it is done in my circles and so none of this 'removed' stuff.

The 'once', 'twice' etc, removed is common heard here when talking about relatives...also common to hear 'first' and 'second' etc cousins.

LaRae

I didn't realise deciding who was a first cousin once removed etc. was such a big topic! I am not familiar with the terms as I refer to my cousin's children as cousin's as well because it makes it easier!

Back onto the main topic though, I am still rooting for Alexander or Arthur because they are both lovely and Royal names. I cannot wait to find out who his godparents are and I really cannot wait to see the group photo and the little Prince in the beautiful christening gown. Viscount Severn looked huge in the new gown, whereas the other babies didn't look so large in it. Perhaps at 4 months old he was much bigger than anticipated! I wonder if William and Catherine will wait until the baby is a few months old before his christening.

Oh I just say "distant cousin' as it's easier!

I think the new prince needs a good robust name by the looks of him, so I think It will be George.
George Charles Albert Philip or James Charles Albert Philip/George.

I think any subsequent sons will be named Philip, Michael or James.

I'd love to see Prince Arthur, I really like this name! James would be good too. What do you think about Henry? I know it's a name of the baby's closest uncle, but he's called Harry, so Henry for the little one will still work I guess.

I don't like George, so hopefully they won't pick this one. However, Gregor or Gregory sound great!

Hi,

What about Geoffrey? I keep suggesting it and nobody seems to respond.

I would also like Philip and Alexander; but Geoffrey would be an old royal name, and not used by anyone in the British Royal Family now...

Larry

In my country people are suggesting Jeoffrey as a good name for a pricne. They're laughing about it, because Jeoffrey is a character from Games of Thrones. As far as I know (I haven't watch that show), this character is rather unlikeable or something.

Personally, I really like this name. It remainds me of Geoffrey Chaucer.

I do agree Baby Cambridge looks like a Prince George!
However I am still holding out for Prince Albert Philip Michael Henry of Cambridge :flowers:
I really like Arthur too or Alistair, as someone suggested earlier although I think the latter is unlikely.

Hopefully we will know soon!

I like Alexander for the new baby! Or could they surprise us all and use something like Christian?

The Game of Thrones characters is called Joffrey and pronounced Joff rey, not Jeoffrey or Geoffrey.

The name Spencer seems to be a popular option {with Americans}.

I think they'd be less likely to use the name Spencer than anything else; (I don't believe the animosity between the Windsors and the Spencers has diminished).

I hope they do choose James; I much prefer that to George.
Besides, I think they might want a Scottish name.

Last edited:
Most of these names are just so old fashioned. I do like Alexander though. Maybe Alexander Charles Philip Michael.

I'm hoping they don't go with George because he doesn't look like one to me. If they must, I hope it's as a second third or fourth name (or even a second son!), but seeing as Charles and Diana didn't give it to either of their sons, I can't see it being a requirement for William.

I also hope that the name reveal comes sooner rather than later! This being such a major decision for the couple, it is kind of an indicator of how much or little their independence will mix with the traditional roles they must play. To be a fly on the wall!

I like Charles, known as Charlie.

I think they'd be less likely to use the name Spencer than anything else; (I don't believe the animosity between the Windsors and the Spencers has diminished).

I hope they do choose James; I much prefer that to George.
Besides, I think they might want a Scottish name.

I don't know how much animosity there is, but I think Spencer would be a good middle name. It's appropriate for William to honor his mother and I personally like Spencer better than Francis. But I think they would only use Spencer (or Francis) if they also used Charles. The same with the name Michael. I think they would only use it if the names also included Charles. At least I hope so. I would hate to see the headlines if they honored Diana and Catherine's father, but not Charles.

I don't see Spencer being used for a variety of reasons (most already mentioned): using surnames as given names tends to be much more of an American thing (and at the very least, doesn't seem happen in the royal family. Also, there are the family issues. When I think of Spencer in this context, the current Earl Spencer is who springs first to my mind, rather than Diana. I think Francis is more likely to be included, because in addition to being the male version of Diana's middle name, it is also Michael Middleton's middle name - so you'd have two of the grandparents covered with that.

Viscount Severn is Baby Cambridge's first cousin, once removed. Baby Cambridge is Viscount Severn's first cousin, once removed. I've been an amateur genealogist for a long time and that is how their relationship would be described by genealogists (at least all the genealogists I've heard/read). It is a common misconception that the children of one's first cousins are one's second cousins.

Genealogy.com: What is a First Cousin, Twice Removed?

Have to disagree. And I too, am a genealogist (though not always amateur).

Viscount Severn is Baby Cambridge's second cousin. Baby Cambridge is Viscount Severn's first cousin once removed. It depends on the point of view of the person speaking/referred to and makes no sense for them to have the same term.

I'm getting a "page deleted" notice for the page you cited, but it would be logical that it addressed the issue of kinship from one person's perspective - the terms are not reciprocal.

My second cousins are my mom's and dad's first cousins. But, I am their first cousin once removed. In either case, we have two degrees of kinship (these are the rules used since antiquity about consanguinity, although the kin terms today in use are relatively new). It's true that such terms can change over time, in which case for awhile there will be no general consensus.

At any rate, I wish they'd just name this baby! Can someone say how this announcement is likely to be made?

The young couple is honoring his mother in so many ways, they don't need to name the baby after everyone - and I don't think they'll use Spencer. But they might. At this point, I suspect they're getting a bit tired pondering things.

He may end up seeming like a Nicholas or an Alexander to them, and I doubt they'll go past four names - anyone think there's a possibility of five?

Actually, based on current looks, the name ought to be Prince Snugglychops Cutiepie Squeezybear, maybe with George added at the end.

:previous:That's the most apt name, based on his looks alone!:ROFLMAO:

And if his looks hold steady, he'll reign as HM King Cutiepie.

:previous:That's the most apt name, based on his looks alone!:ROFLMAO:

And if his looks hold steady, he'll reign as HM King Cutiepie.

Dunno about that. I think King Combat Wombat has a good ring to it. :ROFLMAO:

lea said:
Would they consider Victor? Could honor Queen Victoria with that name.

Victor could be a possibility, but I think as a middle name rather than a first name. As well as Queen Victoria, Victor could also honour Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale; the eldest son of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. I quite like the name, and it hasn't been used in the Royal Family since Prince Albert Victor and I don't think was used before him.

But I think Baby Cambridge looks like a George. :)

I love the name George. And after all, the little one's great-great-grandfather was a wonderful King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom