The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Serene Highness

Alice Victoria? Alice is a warm family name (see Princess Alice of Gloucester and Duke of Edinborough's mother) and Victoria is strong regnal name. Alice has not been used recently--I can't think even of European use of Alice for a crown princess. Also Alice would have a Scottish connection through Princess Alice of Gloucester, as she was primarily of Scottish descent with a strong Stewart heredity. We may be just surprised by some unexpected but old traditional name, like Estelle! Right now poor Kate is probably not thinking about names, but everyone else in the family is at work with the process. I think "Maud Angelica" was a lovely choice by the princess of Norway (Martha-Louise) because Maud was the actual founding queen of the modern Norwegian royal family, which was voted into rule by the people of Norway...it would be interesting if the BRF also looked back in history in a similar unusual way. History is full of names.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Nobility

How about Georgiana for a girl. George is a well used name in the BRF this would be a new spin in it..

Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Gentry

Harry as a godfather is a given surely ? But Pippa eww no. This child will be a King or Queen one day. I doubt the Queen would want any of the Spencer cousins involved either and isnt Earl Spencer on his fourth wife IIRC ? He might choose the wicked stepmother Camilla as well.

If it's a girl I think Wills would want Diana's name in there or maybe the name(s) she would have chosen for a girl if she'd had one.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

IMO, Catherine has every right to pick a member of her family as one of the godparents, whether that is Pippa or James should be the couples decision.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
IMO, Catherine has every right to pick a member of her family as one of the godparents, whether that is Pippa or James should be the couples decision.
I totally agree. In fact I think it very odd if Catherine were not to have a member of her family as one of the godparents, especially since her family see to have been warmly welcomed into Williams family.
I would only give a member of Diana's family an outside chance of being a godparent, but if chosen it likely wont be Charles Spencer but maybe aunt Jane.
I expect Harry, Pippa, maybe Sophie Wessex and then a couple of William and Catherines closest friends.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Aristocracy

Catherine Elizabeth Diana francis
William Charles Philip Michael
Queen Catherine or King William
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How about a double-barreled name - Prince Philip-Charles or Princess Charlotte-Elizabeth?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I guess it's possible but British royals never really went for double-barrelled names. In fact, I don't think there has ever been a British royal (in the immediate family) with such a name. Charlotte-Elizabeth sounds really lovely though.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Girl-
Elizabeth
Diana
Catherine
Boy-
Robert
Old 12-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I would like one godparent to be a Roman Catholic.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
For what reason? The family themselves are not RC. Do Catholic royal families usually include a Protestant amongst their childrens godparents?
I think the Van Cutsems are RC so it could happen because they are friends but not simply because of wanting to have an RC godparent.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
I've enjoyed putting a bit of thought into this :)
A daughter: Margaret Elizabeth Victoria; other possibilities Mary, Frances, Anne, Alexandra, Rose.
A son: Andrew Charles James; with other possibilities George, William, Albert, Louis, John, David, Richard.
[Edward VIII had seven Christian names, so there's a precedent to use plenty!]
Margaret is a real though one, isn't it?
and Richard for a boy... ermmm

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
For what reason? The family themselves are not RC. Do Catholic royal families usually include a Protestant amongst their childrens godparents?
I think the Van Cutsems are RC so it could happen because they are friends but not simply because of wanting to have an RC godparent.
They do sometimes! Like princess Eleonore's godmother is Victoria. Princess Mathilde is godmother of Isabella and Alexia (?) who are both protestant...

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Aristocracy

Girl-
Victoria Alexandra Mary Elizabeth

Boy-
George Phillip Albert Charles
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The couple have RC friends but I'm sure this won't be a factor in the decision and why should it?
Outside a Van Cutsem, I'm sure all the godparents will be of the protestant reformed religion.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I would be a nice msign that an epoch of discrimination of Roman Catholics (as entering to the Royal Family through marriage) has ended definitely.
Other Royal Families choose for their children, apart from godparents from the same church, also godparents from different Christian churches, so why the British Royals shouldn't do that?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

I guess it's possible but British royals never really went for double-barrelled names. In fact, I don't think there has ever been a British royal (in the immediate family) with such a name. Charlotte-Elizabeth sounds really lovely though.
I like it too,I doubt it will be used but its fun thinking of possible names!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

Discrimination of Catholics?? Lest we forget, the Church of England is established by law in England.
What provisions does Belgium, Liechtenstein. or Luxembourg make for Protestants.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
Catherine Elizabeth Diana francis
William Charles Philip Michael
Queen Catherine or King William
I like the Catherine Elizabeth. I also like
Catherine Amelia Elizabeth Frances

It would be amazing if Queen Margarthe of Denmark was in the running for Godmother.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I would be a nice msign that an epoch of discrimination of Roman Catholics (as entering to the Royal Family through marriage) has ended definitely.
Other Royal Families choose for their children, apart from godparents from the same church, also godparents from different Christian churches, so why the British Royals shouldn't do that?
Like I said, I can see doing it if a close friend that one wants to be a godparent happens to be RC, but not simply because someone is RC, much the same as King Constantine was chosen as godfather for William because he is relation/friend not because he is Greek Orthodox.