Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that according to the betting public James is the favorite name.
But Edwards and Sophie son is already called James. I doubt William and Kate are going to call her sons James as a first name if there is already one in the family.
Why do people bet on James?

I also like:
Prince Philip Charles Michael Henry
Prince Arthur Philip Charles Michael

Just read that according to the betting public James is the favorite name.
But Edwards and Sophie son is already called James. I doubt William and Kate are going to call her sons James as a first name if there is already one in the family.
Why do people bet on James?

Because it's one of the few appropriate names for a King available and most people don't know Viscount Severn exists.

Honestly they could still use it- no reason second cousins can't share a first name.

I wonder if they will use Diana's family name, Spencer, as one of the names for the new Prince. Here is the US, we often use family names as middle - or even first names. It seems traditional, yet a little different... just a thought.

The story - unverified - is that when William was born Diana wanted to name him John, after her father, and it got nixed.
That's interesting. There must have been a lot of back and forth about William's name because it took so long to announce it. I think that the Queen has really mellowed (if that is the right word) over the past 10 years or so. She never would have done the James Bond spoof 30 years ago.

She's been very supportive of William. I tend to think that she will sanction any reasonable name that William likes.

I just read in the Daily Mail (of course they are usually wrong) that Edward wanted to name James Theodore but the Queen didn't like the name so they changed it to James, this doesn't sound true to me, unless it was just because she didn't like the name that Edward changed because they are close to the Queen, not because the Queen actually vetoed the name, especially with names like Zara and Eugenie being "approved".

I wonder if they will use Diana's family name, Spencer, as one of the names for the new Prince. Here is the US, we often use family names as middle - or even first names. It seems traditional, yet a little different... just a thought.

I don't think they will use Spencer as a name, though I agree, it would be kind of 'cool' if they did. I just don't think it's the done thing in Britain, and I think Catherine has more of an emotional investment in the baby prince's name than William. I think he'll be fine with whatever she likes (not that he has no say-so or doesn't care, just that she's probably been thinking of names longer than he has) and she knows what's at stake for their son's name. However, I do think if William was adamant about it, HM would allow it.

I just read in the Daily Mail (of course they are usually wrong) that Edward wanted to name James Theodore but the Queen didn't like the name so they changed it to James, this doesn't sound true to me, unless it was just because she didn't like the name that Edward changed because they are close to the Queen, not because the Queen actually vetoed the name, especially with names like Zara and Eugenie being "approved"
At the time of James' birth, male primogeniture was still the practice. HM was likely going to be more stringent with the names of a boy rather than a girl -- that's if the story is true. However slight, Prince Edward's son had a greater chance than, say, Zara, of becoming monarch, so I could see her sending the Wessexes back to the drawing board on Theodore. As for Eugenie, her name does have royal precedent and that's likely why HM gave her assent to it for Andrew and Sarah.

Last edited:
What about Albert after King Edward VII and King George VI who was both called Albert ?

But i'm hoping for Richard as it is my own name so i guess Richard Philip Charles Michael

I still believe that if they choose a name which has never been used by a monarch that it will be Philip. It will be new in that there has been no king with it (at least, not a Winsdor or Saxe-Coburg-Gotha king), and how could HM say no to honoring her consort? I think it will be easier to "get away with that name than something like Matthew, which is still traditional, but untried and honors no one in their families. I'm still going for Philip Alexander Henry Charles or Philip Alexander Michael Charles. Either way, both the DoE and HM are represented (Alexander for HM's middle name), and either Prince Harry or Mr. Middleton, and the PoW.

And if Philip is their choice, they could be awaiting clarification from the experts about what ordinal would go after his name! That could be part of the reason for a delay! :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PalmerPsy
Given that Prince Charles will certainly take George VII, and he and Diana zeroed in on William as super-safe, and there are several Unfortunate Options (Henry [IXth], Richard [IVth ], John, James, and even Edward [IXth]), gotta figure another WILLIAM.
NGalitzine
Heir Apparent Join Date: Jun 2007 Posted July 22 at 10:40 PM EDT
Quote:

I don't think there is any certainty about that at all. Infact after being known by the public as Charles for 65+ years I think it is highly unlikely he would ask the public to now think of him as George once he comes to the throne. I thonk the days of monarchs adopting new regnal names are over.

PalmerPsy : Hard though it may be to quarrel with NGalitzine (an obvious long-time poster) my view that Charles will opt for George VII based on the TIMES article by Andrew Pierce of Dec 24, 2005 purporting to be based on insider info..

But I really like that your suggestion of name includes "Louis" reference which will blow the Queen's mind....

You may be right about the regnal names differing from the pop/first name but as I say Charles III gotta be bad bad luck (what possessed E & P in 1948 except the many precedents of regnal names!).

I like WILIAM for reasons argued above in my first post. Can't imagine a King Philip (memories of P II of Spain before a Prince of Greece.....).

SO: WILLIAM CHARLES PHILIP LOUIS [the bookies can now relax]

Surprising more peoples haven't said Henry. He would be King Henry IX, Actually I don't think we will ever see a Henry in the royal family (A least for future monarch) ever again or not anytime soon anyway.

My Guess:
Edward Philip Charles Arthur

Or

George Arthur Philip Albert

Arthur is the nickname of both William and Charles so it would honor both if them.

Last edited:
They wouldn't need to figure out the ordinal number for Philip to name the baby that because baby Cambridge isn't coming to the throne anytime soon and you don't have to use your first name as your reigning name.

No one else unless you are really old remembers the reign of George Vi why would Charles reign as George VII when the people know him as Charles. In 1936, the world only saw the royals on the newsreels not all the information we have today.

I don't see them using William, Charles or Henry as a first name. Nor do I see James do to it being Kate's brother and the young age of viscount Severn. Philip is a possibility due the closest of William to his grandparents and the lifespans of 2 Philips won't overlap for a long time . I can also see Michael as possibly first name to show that Kate's family won't be shoved aside.

My guess: Philip Peter Michael Charles for grandpas and great grandpas of both parents

I actually like Edward as a first name, but I don't get the impression that William and his uncle are close enough that he would name his firstborn after the Earl of Wessex. I think Henry, Harry and William being so close, is a greater possibility than Edward. Plus, I don't think William will insist on only his family being honored in the baby's name.

Should the baby be named for his great-grandfather, I don't think people's minds will go immediately to Philip of Spain.

Surprising more peoples haven't said Henry. He would be King Henry IX, Actually I don't thunk we will ever see a Henry in the royal family (A least for future monarch) ever again or not anytime soon anyway.

My Guess:

Or

George Arthur Philip Albert

Arthur is the nickname of both William and Charles so it would honor both if them.

There's a Henry in the family now - William'a brother.

I actually like Edward as a first name, but I don't get the impression that William and his uncle are close enough that he would name his firstborn after the Earl of Wessex. I think Henry, Harry and William being so close, is a greater possibility than Edward. Plus, I don't think William will insist on only his family being honored in the baby's name.

Should the baby be named for his great-grandfather, I don't think people's minds will go immediately to Philip of Spain.

No not after his uncle. I am talking about Edward VII.

No not after his uncle. I am talking about Edward VII.
You might be talking about Edward VII, but most people's minds are going to go to the more immediate Edward, the Earl of Wessex. :flowers:

Like Said Future Monarch. Harry not a future monarch.

God Willing, but --
Ouch! FLW!
Lemme cite George V (no Albert Victor I), let alone George VI (E VIII didn't last long) let alone Henry VIII himself (and several others before and after).

Still WILLIAM CHARLES PHILIP LOUIS

Hence (Inshala) George VII, then William V, then William VI (in 2080 -- again, OUCH!)

God Willing, but --
Ouch! FLW!
Lemme cite George V (no Albert Victor I), let alone George VI (E VIII didn't last long) let alone Henry VIII himself (and several others before and after).

Still WILLIAM CHARLES PHILIP LOUIS

Hence (Inshala) George VII, then William V, then William VI (in 2080 -- again, OUCH!)

Yes but now Catherine and William have had a child and will probably have another (spare)

Albert Victor, Edward VIII never had kids.

Like Said Future Monarch. Harry not a future monarch.

What you initially said was "Actually I don't thunk we will ever see a Henry in the royal family" with the future monarch bit being somewhat of an add on - I read it as you thinking that Henry would be one of those avoided names in the direct line, sorry if I misunderstood. While Harry isn't likely to be a monarch he was born as the spare, and him getting the name Henry seems to indicate (to me at least) that the family doesn't seem to consider it one to be avoided in individuals who have a high chance of being the monarch.

I´m not expecting a surprise. I hope he will named Phillip

My favorites: Philip Charles Michael David

Alexander Philip Charles Michael

I still like Robert. It sounds well with "Prince" and "King" and it was the name of Scottish kings in the Middle Ages. I like Richard too, because I like the Duke of Gloucester and don't even think about the tragedy of Richard III. If they do choose James, they will call him by a nickname--Jamie probably. If they choose Philip we will all applaud the Duke of Edinborough, but the nick names will be off-limits. Someone said "Michael" for Kate's father. I think that is also a distinguished royal name--don't forget Michael of Kent as well as the European Michaels.

"We're still working on a name." -- The Duke of Cambridge.

Come on, William! Philip is the way to go!

@BBCPeterHunt: Asked if they'll call him George, William replies "wait and see".

Picture of baby on the other thread--he's well developed (not surprising) and going to be a big husky guy. Needs a husky name. You decide what husky name is. Robert, Richard, I think. Alfred would be historically perfect but Alfred doesn't sound husky today. Gabriel would be neat but perhaps too European? You know, the angel Gabriel, a big husky guy if there ever was one.

My guess for names are:

James Philip Michael Charles

Godparents:

Prince Harry of Wales
Pippa Middleton
James Middleton
Crownprince Frederik of Denmark
Crownprincess Victoria of Sweden

(maybe some friends of the couple)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back