The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Nobility

William referred to her as "Kate" in their engagement interview:

Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn has a myriad of nicknames, and spelling has little to do with it ... Kathy, Cathy, Cat, Kitty, and I've even heard Rinnie used as a nickname.

(Ooops, sorry Skippyboo ... you answered first.)

Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Commoner

HRH Princess Elizabeth, Alexandra or Mary

or

HRH Prince George, Phillip or Richard

Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks for correcting King David I's wife's name, Countessmeout. It's hard to keep all those names straight. One of his relatives married Aveline.

I do not think the fact that Edward VIII's name was David is detrimental. Far more misery associated with the name Edward (such as the widespread killing and executions during the reign of Edward I, plus desecration of the abbeys, which were considered havens of the enemy). The Kings David have little misery associated with them, in comparison. No one is perfect of course.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Serene Highness

David has personal family misery history. Why would William name his son after a man who gave up the job instead of a man who overcame his stammer to lead the nation thru a war to die an early death aka george
Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
David has personal family misery history. Why would William name his son after a man who gave up the job instead of a man who overcame his stammer to lead the nation thru a war to die an early death aka george
Actually Elizabeth Father King George was VI was Born and Christened David. That was his Birth Name, He decided to Reign as George IV (his father name) after his brother Edward Abdication
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If the royal family were to stop using family names because of the negative history attached to them, they'd have run out of names a while ago, I think. I don't see the name David as a frontrunner for William and Kate's child, but Princess Margaret named her son David, and the Queen, of course, has a son named Edward (David's regnal name). Both the Queen and Princess Margaret were certainly closer to that "personal family history", although of course neither son was expected to become king. As has already been mentioned previously in the thread, I don't think we ought to be too quick to rule any names out.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Actually Elizabeth Father King George was IV was Born and Christened David. That was his Birth Name, He decided to Reign as George IV (his father name) after his brother Edward Abdication
You are very wrong, BritishRoyalist.

Her Majesty's father was King George VI. His name was Albert Frederick Arthur George. He was know by his Family as Bertie.

His older brother, King Edward VIII, was named Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David. He was know by his family as David.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

You are very wrong, BritishRoyalist.

Her Majesty's father was King George VI. His name was Albert Frederick Arthur George. He was know by his Family as Bertie.

His older brother, King Edward VIII, was named Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David. He was know by his family as David.
Thank for the correction, You are right. I had to look it up and Edward VIII had David as one of his middle names Not George. For some reason I thought I remembered someone referring to George as David. Also I always get the 'IV' and 'VI' mix up.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Serene Highness

There are so many Edwards in the RF that there are a wide variety of personality types, from great to awful, among them. I like the present Edward a lot, although part of his success is called Sophie-Louise-James. He is one of my favorite Edwards. But the drastic sadist called Edward I (sure hope I have the number right) is the polar opposite of the mild and learned present Edward. So you really can't go on that for names, I agree.

It may be, however, that a name like David has less bad baggage than most. What King Edward VIII (David) did in abdicating was a jolt, but it wasn't as bad as the rampage of Edward I.

One advantage of having a name like David would be that this would make excellent history lesson plans for teachers of children. They could learn SO much about history by studying the reigns of David I and David II and the Davids of Wales, including St. David of Wales. I am learning a whole lot about it now by reading books on the period of the Scots Davids. It was the same period when lived my only known medieval ancestor from my Scots family, Robert, son of Fulbert, who took the name Pollok after the lands on which he lived, and who was a part of the Norman/Anglo-Saxon/Celtic mix typical of the time, a great study on the intermingling of peoples.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Thanks for correcting King David I's wife's name, Countessmeout. It's hard to keep all those names straight. One of his relatives married Aveline.

I do not think the fact that Edward VIII's name was David is detrimental. Far more misery associated with the name Edward (such as the widespread killing and executions during the reign of Edward I, plus desecration of the abbeys, which were considered havens of the enemy). The Kings David have little misery associated with them, in comparison. No one is perfect of course.
Ada de Warrenne, I have a feeling you may be thinking. David I's daughter in law. Sometimes referred to as Adeline, she was married to his son Henry, and is mother to his two successors Malcolm IV and William the Lion. They also had a daughter Ada who was Countess of Holland.

The only Aveline of any note I recall is Aveline de Forza, and she is 13th century. She was married to Henry III's second son Edmund. Her sister in law was Queen Margrat of Scotland wife of Alexander III (and grandmother of the Maid of Scotland, which led to the whole Scottish independence issues when the little Maid died). Margrat, Aveline's sister in law, had a son Prince David of Scotland, but died young.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
David was also, as I believe it's been mentioned before in this thread, the name of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum's very beloved younger brother. I also believe that I've read in several books that HM was very fond of her paternal uncle David, and furthermore Saint David is the patron saint of Wales, so I'd say that there are several perfectly decent reasons why William would name his son David

Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Royal Highness

David is just a fabulous name, period. Underused in both the BRF and the general population
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
David was also, as I believe it's been mentioned before in this thread, the name of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum's very beloved younger brother. I also believe that I've read in several books that HM was very fond of her paternal uncle David, and furthermore Saint David is the patron saint of Wales, so I'd say that there are several perfectly decent reasons why William would name his son David
Queen Mum was close to David it seems, her brother died at Birkhall, her home on Balmoral. I believe she found him after he died from a heart attack.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Nobility

I just found out the other say that Queen Elizabeth had a cousin on her mother's side named Diana Cinderella Mildred. But I don't think they'll be going for any of those as first name choices. Sorry if this doesn't have enough to do with the thread I just thought the name was amusing.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've been thinking more about some possible name combinations for Baby Cambridge, and for a boy, I thought this sounded good:

Albert Charles Philip George

I have more posts per page set up than most people, so for me this thread is 18 pages long, and I haven't read through all 18 pages to see if anyone else has suggested Albert as a first name for a boy, but there you go.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Gentry

So I've read this whole thread and I love a lot of these names. But... The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge seem to be very traditional people. I think they will give their child a traditional reigning name and a name that isn't currently being used by the immediate royal family as a members Christian name, so Elizabeth, Anne, James, Edward, Charles, William and Henry most likely won't be first names. My speculation on first names are:
Girls: Mary (III), Victoria (II)
Boys: George (VII), Richard (IV), Stephen (II)

However I can see the names going something like this.
Princess Victoria Alexandra Carole Frances of Cambridge
Prince George Arthur Michael Charles of Cambridge

I would love for them to go this route:
Princess Mary Alexandra Margaret Helena.
Prince Stephen Leopold Arthur Henry (I've been dying for a Leopold since the Countess of Wessex was Pregnant with the Viscount Severn)

Godparents: Phillipa Middleton, Prince Harry of Wales, The Princess Royal, Crown Prince Palvos of Greece, The Baroness Fellowes (We need a Spencer lol)

I would really love for them to think outside the box , go older and outside the british royals with the royal names like Matilda, Jane, Lionel, Malcolm, Duncan, Owen would be great. I absolutely loved Princess Estelle's name.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Serene Highness

Ladyfizzle, I am glad someone besides me loves Estelle's name. Princess Estelle seems to have been named after a relative by marriage whom Victoria liked, maybe Daniel liked the stories, too, about Estelle Bernadotte. A similar reason is why I nominated Prince David, in honor of way-back personages who were very interesting and mostly admirable. I think you are right that Mary and Victoria are up in front of the pack, being traditional but not used recently, not really recently. Of the two I think Mary is the more likely.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am not a fan of Estelle's name but it will likely suit the little Princess as she grows up (and she is ADORABLE). I expected an Ingrid or something for Princess Estelle, but it was nice that they chose a name they liked and not something that was predictable.

For baby Cambridge, we can only speculate on the name but we can sort of guess it will be traditional. Louise was unexpected for Lady Louise, but James was sort of predictable for Viscount Severn, though I think had they not been "Royal" they would have perhaps used Alexander or Theo instead. Zara Phillips was VERY unexpected, but it suits Zara and she is a private citizen. I would like the Godparents names to be included, but I can't see that happening unless it's perhaps Sophie or Pippa.

I wonder if the baby will have 4 names like most Royals, or 3 like Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

It would be such a lovely tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh if they include Philippa in a daughter's name. I'm actually quite certain that they would have given a daughter Philippa as a first name had Pippa not already been named that.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I hate names that have a non-traditional spelling, because you almost always get them wrong!

Like Bryn for Brian or Jinnafyr for Jennifer; it's confusing.
Bryn is not an alternative spelling of Brian. It is a Welsh name and has no connection with Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisaVilgh View Post
Ladies, could you explain me as for "non-english-native-language" person the difference of spelling Catherine and Katherine.
Katherine is from the Greek spelling, and Catherine the Latinised form.