The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Gentry

I don't wish twins on the poor woman, considering that she's already in the hospital with what sounds like a rare, debilitating condition. Doctors say it can happen as easily with a singleton pregnancy.

It would be interesting if they choose a name that no one expects them to. Maybe things have eased up a bit since other royals just picked names they liked.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I actually think Phillip would be nice for a boy, even though it's not been used as a monarchial name yet. I think a future King Philip I would be a lovely tribute to Prince Philip.

Strictly speaking, Philip is a monarchical name: Philip of Spain (husband of Mary I of England) was not just Mary's consort but King Regnant of England, even if for the duration of their marriage only. That raises the issue of numerals for the next King named Philip (Philip I or II) and, given just how unpopular Mary and especially Philip were, it is an extremely unlikely name for any future King.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Let the fun begin.
My choices for a girl (which is my bet as it will be just to make the new laws of succession happen - and its about time)

1) Victoria
2) Mary
3) Elizabeth
4) Anne
5) Charlotte

For a boy

1) George
2) John
3) Richard (but I abhor the detractors no doubt would call him Prince Dick - I shudder at the thought)
4) James (so low because of the Viscount Severn)
5) Henry

Victoria would be superb and George a fitting tribute to HLM George VI, the child's great-great Grand father.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella5x View Post
I am right there with you, although I think Diana will be in the name somewhere. Seeing how William gave Kate his mom's ring, I am sure he will opt for her name to be included.
I think its a no-brainer to expect Diana included. In fact I would be flabbergasted not to see it.

We could see something like : Mary Elizabeth Victoria Diana

(I don't think the queen would like her name next to Diana)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM

I predicted she was pregnant last week and this is my third royal prediction after Mary and Victoria! I think she will have a girl in July and my name prediction is:

Either Victoria or Elizabeth with the middle names Diana, Carole (or Caroline) and whichever name from above they don't choose.

If its a boy I think it will be George Charles Philip Michael but I would love Arthur

Godparents - Prince Harry, Pippa Middleton, Sophie Countess of Wessex, Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece and either Thomas van Strubenzee, a van Cutsem or Princess Beatrice
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by martina View Post
For girl: Elizabeth Diana Victoria
For boy: Henry Charles Philip

As goodparents:
Prince Harry, Michael Middleton, Pippa Middleton, Hugh and Rose van Cutsem
I think both of her syblings is one too many. My bet is on Michael Middleton, and remember this child will be a monarch, so I believe there will be at least one if not two Royal Godparents. I could see HRH Crown Princess Victoria or HRH Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark as God Father, maybe even both. I know that Frederick & William are friendly.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Gentry

Nameberry.com has offered the following name suggestions. Boys: Albert, Alfred, Arthur, Frederick, George, Leopold, Philip; Girls: Alice, Caroline, Charlotte, Eleanor, Matilda, Maud, Victoria.

George might be a pretty likely choice since it's both a Greek and a British royal name and Frederick/Freddie is pretty popular right now in the UK. I can't see them picking Leopold. Matilda seems pretty unlikely but Maud is a recent royal name, though an ugly one, in my opinion.

I don't think they're likely to give the child a first name that is the name of any immediate relative, so no Elizabeth, Charles, Philip, Diana, etc. That seems to be decidedly out of fashion. I still think it will be Alice or Arthur, with the various grandparents' names as middle names. As far as godparents go, I would guess Prince Harry and Pippa Middleton and/or James Middleton as the sure bets and probably also members of their wedding party. Grandparents are traditionally never godparents, so none of the grandparents will be godparents.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well, I think very traditional names will be used, but I do agree with some of the others that it would be nice for there to be one or two more unusual names used too.
For a girl, I think the first two names will be Victoria Elizabeth and for a boy, I think it would be Albert George (if so, he would undoubtably be nick-named Bertie in sone quarters!).
I imagine over the next few months I will change my mind!

With regard to Godparents, I think it would be nice if Zara or Peter were amongst them.
I never thought of that, but Albert (so they can use Bertie) is very possible. Albert George is very, very possible.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by qzwxec View Post
I think both of her syblings is one too many. My bet is on Michael Middleton, and remember this child will be a monarch, so I believe there will be at least one if not two Royal Godparents. I could see HRH Crown Princess Victoria or HRH Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark as God Father, maybe even both. I know that Frederick & William are friendly.
Michael Middleton is Kate's father, not brother. A royal as a godparent for their child is very unlikely bar the Greek ones. Take William as an example: his godparents are former King Constantine of Greece, Princess Alexandra (the Honourable Lady Ogilvy), the Duchess of Westminster, Lord Romsey, Sir Laurens van der Post, the Duchess of Westminster and Lady Susan Hussey. In other words, close family members and friends.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia

Strictly speaking, Philip is a monarchical name: Philip of Spain (husband of Mary I of England) was not just Mary's consort but King Regnant of England, even if for the duration of their marriage only. That raises the issue of numerals for the next King named Philip (Philip I or II) and, given just how unpopular Mary and especially Philip were, it is an extremely unlikely name for any future King.
From what I gather, he went by Philip II of Spain and was never known as Philip I of England, so any baby Philip would probably be the first.

Besides... That was nearly 500 years ago so I think that Philip's unpopularity no longer matters :)

I just think it would be nice, since Williams's
grandfather has been such an important part of his life and such a hardworking consort. It would be a lovely legacy for him.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
True! Why on earth did the Queen allow Edward to take James?
His son has virtually no chance of inheriting the throne, so any name would do for him. He didn't need a monarchial name!
Why shouldn't Edward have been allowed to use James? Even if he had used another name, Catherine would still have had a brother who bears the name. Whilst I agree that James would have been a wonderful name for a future king, I'm strongly opposed the whole "not allowing" someone to use a name. Edward and Sophie liked James so they chose it for their son (who looks perfectly like a little James by the way).

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Any thoughts on some of the noble families in the UK? William is related to many of the dukes and earls in England and Scotland. They would make nice godparents.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post

David is one of Harry's names, so I doubt they'd have anything against that name. Though I don't think it'll be the first name of a firstborn boy. I don't think they'll find room for it as a secondary name either, the firstborn boys/girls almost always have their entire name filled with family names.
Oh for Pete's sake, I completely forgot that!!! LOL Yes, of course it's one of Harry's names!! (My Dad's too!!). Since he will be King, I still don't think Baby Cambridge's name will have David in it.

To add to my list...
Louis is a contender as well. William was given the name Louis after Lord Louis Mountbatten (Edward too, I think), the beloved uncle and mentor of Prince Charles. I still remember Charles welling up during the footage of Lord Louis' funeral in his jubilee tribute to HM. It still devastates him, so I think Charles would be absolutely chuffed if Louis was one of B.C.'s names.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
From what I gather, he went by Philip II of Spain and was never known as Philip I of England, so any baby Philip would probably be the first.

Besides... That was nearly 500 years ago so I think that Philip's unpopularity no longer matters :)

I just think it would be nice, since Williams's
grandfather has been such an important part of his life and such a hardworking consort. It would be a lovely legacy for him.
I agree - I think Philip is a very real possibiity. What better way to honor a man who was been 1 step behind the throne his entire life and has been such a close grandfather to William. Add to that, they almost lost Philip this year - i think it would be a lovely and sentimental acknowledgment and one that HM would heartily support.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

i want a Mary III!!!

for a boy, King Richard!

as the godparents, Harry, Pippa, James (uncles&aunt), possibly W&C's parents (Camilla included).
for other royals, the Greek Royals are the most close european royals to the British royals.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Nobility

Girl:
Charlotte Frances Elizabeth Mary
Alice Victoria Elizabeth Noelle
Caroline Elizabeth Georgiana Louise

Boy:
Edward Arthur Francis James
Philip Henry Francis Louis
Alexander James Francis Albert

Godfathers:
Prince Harry
James Middleton
Peter Phillips
Hugh van Cutsem

Godmothers:
Pippa Middleton
Zara Phillips
The Countess of Wessex
Laura Lopes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
i want a Mary III!!!

for a boy, King Richard!

But Richard is the name of the Duke of Gloucester.

That is the problem, so many of the traditional royal names are already in use. Unless they just decide to repeat.

As for godparents, since Pippa was already bridesmaid, I believe they will choose James Middleton instead.
Another reason it would have been so nice to have a little Prince James!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Gentry

There's nothing wrong with reusing names. There are, of course, two Edwards (Duke of Kent and Earl of Wessex). The Duke of Gloucester isn't primarily known as Prince Richard, nor is the Earl of Ulster known as Alexander, etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't see them naming him James, solely because of Viscount Severn but it may be a middle name for use as Monarch later perhaps.

I often wondered why the Queen let Edward and Sophie choose James, but they liked the name so of course it is their choice, but because he is never going to be King, you would think it would have been left for those closer to the throne. Perhaps she preferred James over Alexander...

There is nothing wrong with using two names, and James Viscount Severn is going to drop into obscurity, whereas this baby will become the most famous Royal baby. I just don't see William and Catherine choose James as it is too close to the current little James as he will only be 5 years older than him. (Due to this, I really hope they will be close but it's unlikely.) The Duke of Kent is much older than The Earl of Wessex.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Elizabeth Windsor@Queen_UK
Can confirm that male heirs will no longer take precedence over women in line to the throne. Try not to be too shocked, Church of England.