The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Well, it's getting ridiculous. If you rule out the names of everyone in the public eye for one reason or another, they'd be left with none at all.
That's it! They'll leave the name of the child blank until he/she reaches majority and can decide for him/herself. Talk about breaking with tradition!

The child shall be Anonymous and known as Princess Nonnie.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That's it! They'll leave the name of the child blank until he/she reaches majority and can decide for him/herself. Talk about breaking with tradition!

The child shall be Anonymous and known as Princess Nonnie.
Or they could use a sign like "the artist formerly known as Prince" did. Of course that might cause the Archbishop of Canterbury some difficulty at the christening

Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't think the names of any politicians will even enter their heads in connection with naming their child. None of these names are particularly unusual, nor especially associated with one person. Such as Winston might be, for example.

Julius, Anthony and their variations are of course Roman in origin and have been used in Britain for two millennia. I think Julian or Julia would be splendid names for a royal July baby.
Picking a name which is the same as very high profile current politicians, particularly a name such as Julia or Antonia which have no royal pedigree in this country, could well be interpreted (wrongly) as an indirect preference for that particular politician. Julia Gillard is often referred to simply as 'Julia' in Australia. The name has become synonymous with her as an individual.

I just feel that the RF are very, very conscious of their actions being regarded as indicative of political views. I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that either of those names would be picked anyway though.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Or they could use a sign like "the artist formerly known as Prince" did. Of course that might cause the Archbishop of Canterbury some difficulty at the christening
Ah... but a good time for a revival of Merlin's staff which he would wave denoting such symbol.

Would definitely start a new wave of how to communicate. EVERYONE would rush to buy a Baby Cambridge Christening Staff and adopt sigils for themselves.

OK.. I'm done. We return you now to the more sane ideas.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

when I was young it was the tradition in the local churches to give one name to a child and let him or her choose the middle name at Confirmation. I suppose that is too dangerous, in case the prince or princess has a rebellious streak. But it's a compromise between Prince Nonnie and Prince Four Names.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I know that tradition Mariel and I thought it was Catholic - I chose Teresa of the Roses. I dont think this happens in the Anglican faith. Am I correct, anyone?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Picking a name which is the same as very high profile current politicians, particularly a name such as Julia or Antonia which have no royal pedigree in this country, could well be interpreted (wrongly) as an indirect preference for that particular politician. Julia Gillard is often referred to simply as 'Julia' in Australia. The name has become synonymous with her as an individual.

I just feel that the RF are very, very conscious of their actions being regarded as indicative of political views. I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that either of those names would be picked anyway though.
Apart from your last sentence, I couldn't disagree more. (Although I wouldn't write either of them off with such confidence.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Julia Gillard is often referred to simply as 'Julia' in Australia. The name has become synonymous with her as an individual.
So what? I doubt if most people in the UK could even tell you the name of the Australian PM, it just wouldn't be on their radar. I know none of us could remember it when it cropped up as a quiz question recently.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I know that tradition Mariel and I thought it was Catholic - I chose Teresa of the Roses. I dont think this happens in the Anglican faith. Am I correct, anyone?
Raised RC and took the name Bernadette and got slapped for it by an archbishop even.

A lot of what one knows as RC is the very much the same practices in all Christian denominations without Rome. TBH, I was surprised to learn as a child that the "one, true religion" I was part of had the same prayers, hymns and people like me.

I do admire the fact that confirmation later on in life with the CoE is a personal decision. If I recall right, Kate was confirmed not long before her marriage.

I always thought it would be amusing if Victoria and Daniel named their daughter Bernadette. Bernadette Bernadotti. Maybe even with Benita as a middle name..
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Osipi - I forgot about the slap from the Archbishop.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
when I was young it was the tradition in the local churches to give one name to a child and let him or her choose the middle name at Confirmation. I suppose that is too dangerous, in case the prince or princess has a rebellious streak. But it's a compromise between Prince Nonnie and Prince Four Names.
I used to be Catholic (I grew out of it), and when I was 13 and confirmed into the Church, we took a "confirmation name", which was usually the name of saint that was connected to us in some way or we felt an affinity towards. My two best friends took Marie and Julia as their confirmation names, I took Theresa. It's not a legal name, but in the eyes of the Church, I'm still Elizabeth Alexandra Theresa (last name goes here). Elizabeth is my given name, Alexandra is my middle name (both given to me by my parents), and Theresa is my confirmation name.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

I think Alexandra would be a lovely name for a girl. She could be called Lexi for short, a quite common modern name.

Princess Alexandra Mary Caroline Rose
Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I think Alexandra would be a lovely name for a girl. She could be called Lexi for short, a quite common modern name.

Princess Alexandra Mary Caroline Rose
I'm still hoping for Georgiana and Gia for short. :)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm still hoping for Georgiana and Gia for short. :)
Princess/Queen Georgiana doesn't sounds very good.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Princess/Queen Georgiana doesn't sounds very good.
Georgina is much nicer and less cumbersome. Also no uncertainty over pronunciation - I never understand how some people get Jor-JAY-na from Georgiana.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Aristocracy

I think they will go for something traditional, but with a twist to it. William and Harrry were after all names with a bit of a twist when they came along. I also think that people are forgetting that British monarchs, except for the women, in recent history have not taken their own name when becomie monarch.

For those reasons I think the following names will be included, but not the first name: Elizabeth, Diana, Charles, George.

Possible names: Girls

Alice
Sophia
Charlotte
Isabella (Just maybe a bit of a twist on Elizabeth)
Christina
Madeleine
Alexandra
Florence
Grace
Emma
Clara
Josephine
Caroline
Amelia
Rose
Helena
Stephanie

But then again Eugenie was out of left field so who knows.

For the boys

Robert
Arthur
Richard
David (just maybe)
Harold
Ralph
Phillip (may actually be quite likely)
Theodore
Alexander
Matthew
Felix
Edmund
Christoper
Anton
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Georgina is much nicer and less cumbersome. Also no uncertainty over pronunciation - I never understand how some people get Jor-JAY-na from Georgiana.
yah. I'd pronounce it as ge (as in gee whiz) or(as door without the d) giana as Jee Ann Ah. Gia as gee ah would work for short.

(ducks and runs for cover whistling "Georgie Girl"
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Aristocracy

Or Jor-jah-na.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I also think that people are forgetting that British monarchs, except for the women, in recent history have not taken their own name when becomie monarch.

George I - George Louis.
George II - George Augustus.
George III - George William Frederick.
George IV - George Augustus Frederick.
William IV - William Henry.
Edward VII - Albert Edward.
George V - George Frederick Ernest Albert.
Edward VIII - Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.
George VI - Albert Frederick Arthur George.

You are wrong. All the Kings in recent history have taken one of their names for Regnal Name. And only two of them didn't used he first name.

In my opinion, if the Prince of Wales decide to be know as King George VII (and I'll support him), he'll be the last British Monarch to do such a thing. The Duke of Cambridge will be King William V, and Baby Cambridge will regin using whatever his/her first name will be.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Serene Highness

Cepe, Osipi, et al, I too chose Bernadette as my confirmation name, although I already had two other names. The priest wanted me to take Rose, but I liked St. Bernadette. Now I think I would choose Rose. The archbishop in my liberal neck of the woods did not slap people at confirmation, although that surely is a good symbolic dramatization of what life will probably have to offer.
It is my experience that certain liturgical Protestant churches also have confirmation names, but this may be local custom rather than universal. Churches like Episcopal and Lutheran (and some others which are surprisingly liturgical) do this but it may vary from place to place and maybe it's no longer practiced.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
George I - George Louis.
George II - George Augustus.
George III - George William Frederick.
George IV - George Augustus Frederick.
William IV - William Henry.
Edward VII - Albert Edward.
George V - George Frederick Ernest Albert.
Edward VIII - Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.
George VI - Albert Frederick Arthur George.

You are wrong. All the Kings in recent history have taken one of their names for Regnal Name. And only two of them didn't used he first name.

In my opinion, if the Prince of Wales decide to be know as King George VII (and I'll support him), he'll be the last British Monarch to do such a thing. The Duke of Cambridge will be King William V, and Baby Cambridge will regin using whatever his/her first name will be.
Edward VIII went by David in his personal life, well at least within the family, and his sister's name was actually Victoria, but was known as Mary, her last name.

Out of all the Kings, and Queen, since Victoria, only two went by the name which they, and their family knew them as. Come to think of Victoria wasn't Victoria's first given name, but it was the name she was known as all her life.

We have no idea what Charles, William, or any future monarch will go as. It has been rumoured it will be be George though. As you say they can go for any of their names.