The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think we're more likely to see duplication in terms of Charles' siblings - we may see another Anne, Edward, or even a Charles or Elizabeth. I think another James or Louise is unlikely just because of the proximity of age. It doesn't really seem fair to either the Wessex or the Cambridge child - it'll do more to confuse the child's identity (for him or herself) than reusing a name that belongs to an aunt, uncle, or grandparent.

Someone (I think Mariel) made a good argument about name duplication a couple pages back in reference to avoiding using Elizabeth. I think it's even more important in avoiding the names used by the child's cousins (however removed) that are essentially of the same generation as them.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I dont think we worry too much about what some continental royal is named as they are practically unknown in the UK and in a global sense will never be as well known as Baby Cambridge will be.
Thank you!! I've made this point several times in this thread. With the greatest respect, most Brits likely don't know any of those continental royals exist, let alone what their names are. I'd be amazed if the names of European royals had any bearing whatsoever on the name the Cambridges choose.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I believe that on this Forum we think about issues that dont even come into the orbit of William and Catherine. That's my view. And duplication within the BRF is one of those. I dont think they even ponder on what is happening in other families. It's about what they like. (I'd like them to want Charlotte Rose for a girl but thats JMO).

But I dont really understand, Miche, what you point is. That's down to me but can you explain further?
People have said their child would get confuse if their name is a duplication of another royal name, especially those close in name. I said that would not be an issue at all.

If they want to name their child something they should go for it, not worry about how many Alexandra, James and Mary's are out there.

Sorry, I should have been clearer
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
My choice for a boy's name is Stephen. Stephen of Blois was King of England from 1135 to his death in 1154. He was a grandson of William the Conqueror.
I would be totally gobsmacked (I love that word) if they chose Stephen. Stephen is considered an even worse king than John, Edward II or Richard II. His reign is called the "Time When Christ and All His Saints Slept" - things were THAT bad. There's not a snowball's chance on Venus that Baby Cambridge will be called "Stephen".
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've never heard anything to suggest that Stephen himself was considered a bad monarch or that he was hated - granted I haven't read all that much about him. Personally, I would take any account of him written during the reign of Henry II (or even some later monarchs) with a grain of salt - whatever his skill as a monarch may have been, his rule was tarnished by civil war, and in the end he was succeeded by the son of the woman he usurped.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness

i don't know a lot about Stephen of Blois, except that in his time my Scots ancestor and his family hightailed it to Scotland from England. They had supported Matilda for the throne, and they had an invitation to come to Scotland and take part in the feudalization of the realm. They arrived with the Stuarts (Walter Fitzallen) along with other Stuart friends and settled mostly in the Lowlands, near Glasgow. I didn't realize until I read a recent article that they were invited in part because they knew how to build castles, and did so. There is some book called "The Castlebuilders." William the Lion asked my "uncle" (many times removed) Peter de Pollock to build a way station castle in Rothes in the North, although he already had a home in Renfrewshire, and my ancestor Robert de Pollock built a castle next door to Walter Fitzallen in what is now Pollock Park. A third brother Eli was a canon of Glasgow cathedral. I never heard of them until I started looking for my Scots relatives l5 years ago.
In a sense Stephen of Blois was responsible for the exit of these people to Scotland.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Gentry

Someone earlier in the the thread mentioned "Antonia" as a name for a girl. I like that name, it would be a beautiful non-traditional (within the BRF) yet classic/appropriate name for a princess/future Queen.

One thing to always remember is that the child will be a monarch someday. I see "Timothy" and "Patrick" suggested on here a lot, but when you put "King" in front of those names, it just doesn't sound right.

There's an outside chance that Will/Kate decide to go with something that's new to the BRF. I think they want to be seen as modernizing the monarchy and something "new" could lend that perception.

That being said, it would be considerably easier to for them to pick a "new" female name, IMO. I think they could get away with it because there have been fewer female monarchs throughout history and they wouldn't be seen as straying too far.

Here are some "non-traditional" names I like. They wouldn't be traditional within the BRF, but they would be considered classic.

Female names:
Julia...probably my favorite of the non-traditional names. Would honor the ancestress of the Mountbatten clan (Countess Julia Hauke), and Princess/Queen Julia has a nice ring to it. And it would be perfect if the baby is born, as expected, in July.
Antonia...see above
Philippa...obvious family connections. Princess/Queen Phillippa has a nice ring to it.
Emma...not a bad choice. And there's been a Queen Emma in the Netherlands, so it sounds okay.

Male names:
Christopher...Prince/King Christopher has a nice ring to it. Have been princes/kings with the name.
Anthony...similar to Antonia in that regard.
Nicholas...have been many famous royals in history with that name.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

The current (republican) PM of Australia is Julia Gillard. Antonia is too similar to Anthony which is the name of former PM Tony Blair and the man who's likely to win the Australian general election in September, Tony Abbott. Plus, Antonia just doesn't 'sound' British to me.

I think it's fair to assume that they're unlikely to pick a name that's closely related to a current politician. I know we have Ed Milliband, but Edward has a sufficiently long and storied history in the BRF that it wouldn't be an issue. Plus, Ed Milliband is an irrelevance IMO.

I caught a couple of minutes of Doctor Who the other day and his new companion is called 'Clara', which is a lovely name IMO. It'll not be picked, but it's a nice one.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Odds have shortened on Alexandra

Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Elizabeth remains the favourite.

What's the favourite for a boy?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I quite like Alexandra and the child could be called Alex or Lexie for short. Alexis is my favourite name if I ever have a little girl, but I can't see that being a choice.

I am not sure what the boy's favourite is but I imagine it's George or James.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

I would not mind at all if the baby were to be Alexandra, Alexandrina or if a boy Alexander. I always thought those names are really beautiful and I've lots of people that I treasure with those names, well, except Alxendrina but still a beautiful name and not over used.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

I would be really surprised if they don't name the baby (if it's a girl) Elizabeth.

Will be a great tribute to Queen, and the Duke of Cambridge is very close to his grandmother.

I'm eager to see a photography of the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince/Princess X of Cambridge, like that one of Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, King George V and King Edward VIII.

http://www.avictorian.com/victoria/v...ard%20VIII.jpg

http://gateway.ntpl.org.uk/hppa-zoom...s_kla07373.bro
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Aristocracy

William seems to like to do things his own way. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose a name that surprises everyone. If I remember correctly, it was quite a surprise when Charles and Diana named their first son William.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
If I remember correctly, it was quite a surprise when Charles and Diana named their first son William.
They named him after Prince William of Gloucester (1941-1972), a favourite cousin of the Prince of Wales.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Alexandra would be the perfect name, the more I think about it. Princess Alexandra Elizabeth Charlotte Diana of Cambridge. Works for me.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

The reason that the odds have shortened is that there has been a flurry of new bets on the name. There is an assumption that someone "knows" something.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The current (republican) PM of Australia is Julia Gillard. Antonia is too similar to Anthony which is the name of former PM Tony Blair and the man who's likely to win the Australian general election in September, Tony Abbott. Plus, Antonia just doesn't 'sound' British to me.

I think it's fair to assume that they're unlikely to pick a name that's closely related to a current politician. I know we have Ed Milliband, but Edward has a sufficiently long and storied history in the BRF that it wouldn't be an issue. Plus, Ed Milliband is an irrelevance IMO.
I don't think the names of any politicians will even enter their heads in connection with naming their child. None of these names are particularly unusual, nor especially associated with one person. Such as Winston might be, for example.

Julius, Anthony and their variations are of course Roman in origin and have been used in Britain for two millennia. I think Julian or Julia would be splendid names for a royal July baby.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Julius, Anthony and their variations are of course Roman in origin and have been used in Britain for two millennia. I think Julian or Julia would be splendid names for a royal July baby.
Lord Fellowes would probably think the child was named after him because W&C were fans of Downton Abbey.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Aristocracy

Well, it's getting ridiculous. If you rule out the names of everyone in the public eye for one reason or another, they'd be left with none at all.