The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
What do you think about 'princess Rachel'?
'New' and traditional :)
I don't think they'll use Rachel. Although is a beautiful name, Rachel was never used by the Royal Family.

It's almost certainly the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will use a traditional name that was previously used by a member of the British Royal Family. And I really believe they'll used a Hanoverian name.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
What do you think about 'princess Rachel'?
'New' and traditional :)
It won't be Rachel. It has to be a Royal name especially since it the first child and a heir to the throne. I know some have said that Kate and William are known to break with tradition but this is one place where they will stick with tradition.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I dont think in the UK either the BRF or the public think in terms of Hanovarian. Its British.

Therefore, HArry, George, Edward, Alice, Mary, Elizabeth, Anne, Charles, William and Catherine are considered British names.

There is nothing Hanovarian about my family (English/Irish and Scots) but my parents were William and Elizabeth, and my sister is Rose and I am Catherine. British names.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I dont think in the UK either the BRF or the public think in terms of Hanovarian. Its British.

Therefore, HArry, George, Edward, Alice, Mary, Elizabeth, Anne, Charles, William and Catherine are considered British names.

There is nothing Hanovarian about my family (English/Irish and Scots) but my parents were William and Elizabeth, and my sister is Rose and I am Catherine. British names.
Hanoverian in the sense that the name was used by the House of Hanover and, subsequently, by the House Windsor.

Names like George, Victoria, Edward, Elizabeth and William.

Of course some of those names were used by Royal from previous Dynasties.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

With the exception of Victoria, all those names were common place in the Uk from 1066 through Tudor times until today. Actually they are remarkable Tudor.

I dont think that the BRF see the naming of a child in dynastic or historical terms - its because they (1) like it and (2) appropriate [as in not ludicrous].

Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

George Andrew Patrick David
Caroline Elizabeth Frances Mary

Godfathers: HRH Prince Henry of Wales, Mr Peter Phillips, Mr Guy Pelly
Godmothers: HRH Princess Beatrice of York, Miss Phillipa Middleton
Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

like all of this except Guy Pelly. I think Hugh van Cutsem (or the father of little Grace if I've got the wrong member of that family)

Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

With the exception of Victoria and George, all of those names were used many times by the BRF prior to the Hanovers and their descendants.

The only purely Hanoverian monarchical names are George and Victoria. The names used by the Mountbatten-Windsors so far have shown that they're not exactly clinging to the Hanoverian names - of the Queen's children and grandchildren, only two have names that can be considered to be monarchical Hanoverian names, and both were names used well before the Hanovers came onto the scene.

The Mountbatten-Windsor have not picked names purely because they're Hanoverian - instead they've largely done the opposite, and not at all used the two purely Hanoverian names in terms of monarchs. As such, there is no real reason to believe that the Cambridge Baby is going to be a George or a Victoria simply because they're Hanoverian names. Elizabeth, Charles, Anne, Henry, and James - all names used by the BRF and previous monarchs - are not Hanoverian names.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

As I mentioned in #1509 - the names are not Hanovarian and that includes George. The 1st Duke of Clarence was George (died c. 1478) and George Villiers Duke of Buckingham are 2 examples.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

But those names were more recently used by the Hanoverians and Windsors, but I know many of them were used used by the Normans, Tudors and Stuarts.

My guesses are:

Boy:

HRH Prince George Philip Arthur Michael of Cambridge.

Girl:

HRH Princess Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole of Cambridge.

Godparents:

HRH Prince Harry of Wales.
Miss Philippa Middleton.
HRH the Countess of Wessex.
HRH Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece.
Mr. Hugh van Cutsem.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Nobility

I think that girls names are tricky because so many historical names are already used by future European monarchs. I don't think they would repeat any of these as first names:

Elisabeth of Belgium
Victoria of Sweden
Mary of Denmark
Ingrid Alexandra of Norway
Mathilde of Belgium (British Empress Matilda 1141)

They won't pick Anne because two British princesses with that name would be confusing. I also think they will stay away from Caroline because of the Monaco princess. Other British Queens and consorts to consider would be Jane, Charlotte and Adelaide. I think Charlotte is the most likely choice, especially since it would also be in honor of Prince Charles.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Godparents shocker- no Harry & Pippa

Roles as aunt and uncle trumps godparent. Kate doesn't want to pick her sister and not her brother.

Godparents: Zara or Sophie and David Linley from the family, friends Sam Whaley Cohen, Holly Branson, Emillia Jardine Patterson and a military colleague from Raf SAR
Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
I think that girls names are tricky because so many historical names are already used by future European monarchs. I don't think they would repeat any of these as first names:

Elisabeth of Belgium
Victoria of Sweden
Mary of Denmark
Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway

There are two Alberts II currently reigning in Europe, and I don't think there is much confusion.

So, I don't think people will get confused with Queen Elizabeth III of the United Kingdom and Queen Elisabeth of Belgium.

As for Victoria, Baby Cambridge has more chances to be Monarch at the same time of Queen Estelle of Sweden, because Crown Princess Victoria is 36 years olders than he or she.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You're right! Both are reigning but one is King Albert and one is Prince Albert.
There are two Alberts II currently reigning in Europe, and I don't think there is much confusion.

So, I don't think people will get confused with Queen Elizabeth III of the United Kingdom and Queen Elisabeth of Belgium.

As for Victoria, Baby Cambridge has more chances to be Monarch at the same time of Queen Estelle of Sweden, because Crown Princess Victoria is 36 years olders than he or she.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Nobility

My choice for a boy's name is Stephen. Stephen of Blois was King of England from 1135 to his death in 1154. He was a grandson of William the Conqueror.

For a girl, I would chose Ann-Victoria. I have a friend with this hyphenated name and I think it sounds very regal.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Elisabeth of Belgium
Victoria of Sweden
Mary of Denmark
Ingrid Alexandra of Norway

They won't pick Anne because two British princesses with that name would be confusing. I also think they will stay away from Caroline because of the Monaco princess. Other British Queens and consorts to consider would be Jane, Charlotte and Adelaide. I think Charlotte is the most likely choice, especially since it would also be in honor of Prince Charles.
I dont think we worry too much about what some continental royal is named as they are practically unknown in the UK and in a global sense will never be as well known as Baby Cambridge will be.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I dont think we worry too much about what some continental royal is named as they are practically unknown in the UK and in a global sense will never be as well known as Baby Cambridge will be.
Common sense approach. After all Queen Elizabeth had a daughter Princess Elizabeth and I don't recall anyone getting confused at the time.

People need to stop overthinking this.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Common sense approach. After all Queen Elizabeth had a daughter Princess Elizabeth and I don't recall anyone getting confused at the time.

People need to stop overthinking this.
Right?

James, Louise, Elizabeth, etc. Those children would not get confuse. They aren't in the same class and if they belong in the same family, that's what nicknames are for
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe that on this Forum we think about issues that dont even come into the orbit of William and Catherine. That's my view. And duplication within the BRF is one of those. I dont think they even ponder on what is happening in other families. It's about what they like. (I'd like them to want Charlotte Rose for a girl but thats JMO).

But I dont really understand, Miche, what you point is. That's down to me but can you explain further?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Courtier

I agree that the Cambridges don't care if the baby name is already used in Europe. I do think they would not use a name already in use in the immediate BRF except for Elizabeth or Phillip since they would be around too much longer.