Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Theophilus?

Royal baby watch: Kate Middleton and Prince William could call tot Hyacinthe or Theophilus after ancestor
19 Jul 2013 07:43
Researchers found those are the most popular names in the family tree of both the Windsors and the Middletons

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk Royal baby watch: Kate Middleton and Prince William could call tot Hyacinthe or Theophilus after ancestor - Mirror Online
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps not Theophilus, but maybe a Theo! One of Viscount Severn's name is Theo. It's such a nice name.

Interesting that Elizabeth, Mary, Anne and Jane were in the top 5 girls names on both sides, so any of those would still be regal and honor Catherine as well.

Fun fact: Mozart's real name was in fact Theophilus, but he prefered to use Amedé/Amadeus.
Btw, if this baby is born tomorrow, I think TRF will be a one big chaos, with the abdication and all.

Last edited:
The name Hyacinthe reminds me of the lady in Keeping Up Appearances. I used to watch it all the time on PBS along with "are you being served" I can't see that as a name for a queen. Not sure about the other one. I can't see two people with ordinary names giving their kids names like that.

When Princess Estelle was born there was a huge uproar about her name, too. People said Estelle wasn't a name fit for a queen. (and Victoria and Daniel are normal names, as well.) But now, everyone has gotten used to it. So, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Interesting that Elizabeth, Mary, Anne and Jane were in the top 5 girls names on both sides, so any of those would still be regal and honor Catherine as well.

Not surprising. I think you would find the same top 5 names (or at least top 10) in 95% of English family trees. The pool of names in use was very, very small until the end of the 19thC.

Fun fact: Mozart real name was in fact Theophilus, but he prefered to use Amedé/Amadeus.
Btw, if this baby is born tomorrow, I think TRF will be a one big chaos, with the abdication and all.

No, his real name was the German version of Theophilus - Gottlieb and he prefered the italian one...

Yet the Queen didn't flinch from naming her son and heir Charles - the name of a king who was executed. And one might think she would have avoided Edward too, given the issues surrounding the last king of that name.

If there's anyone who's superstitious about names, I doubt it's the Queen.

But apparently Diana wanted to call William, John and the Queen vetoed it because of Bad King John

Current favourites on paddypower
Girl- Alexandra, Charlotte, Victoria, Elizabeth
Boy- George, James, Alexander

If it is a boy I am hoping for anything but George we have had so many and recently James would be nice and Victoria for a girl. Victoria II would be incredible

No, his real name was the German version of Theophilus - Gottlieb and he prefered the italian one...
:previous:
Actually he was basptised as Joannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart.

Anyway, moving on...

Last edited:
But apparently Diana wanted to call William, John and the Queen vetoed it because of Bad King John

I don't believe that the Queen "vetoed" it, and certainly the reason you give is unconvincing.

Some people apparently believe that the name John is unlucky in the BRF. I think it's more likely that this influenced Diana, added to the fact that her own brother John died in infancy.

The name Hyacinthe reminds me of the lady in Keeping Up Appearances. I can't see that as a name for a queen.

William's ancestor with the name "Hyacinthe" is the Queen Mother's sister, Violet Hyacinthe. She also had a sister named Rose. And Queen Mum's middle name was Marguerite, the meaning and nickname for which is Daisy. So there you have it, Violet, Hyacinthe, Rose and Daisy: the four sisters from "Keeping Up Appearances" all from names in Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons' family. LOL

I would be very surprised if the baby was given a first name that was not the name of a previous English king or queen. Therefore, the first name probably won't be Michael, Francis, or Philip.

I would be surprised too but it could happen. Kate and William and supposed to be part of a more modern Royal Family although I'm thinking Chardonnay probably doesn't have a chance no matter how modern. LOL I love the flower names we have that in our family but it's always second names we have Violet, Rose, Poppy, Marigold, Pansy and Magnolia. Good thing there are lot's of flowers. Clarissa was also one of the Queen Mums middle names that is nice too. Elizabeth is a possibility I think William is very close to his Grandmother and what a wonderful tribute to her and his great grandmother it would be. I'm thinking Kate will have the baby Sunday that is my guess well it's my third guess. LOL

I would be very surprised if the baby was given a first name that was not the name of a previous English king or queen. Therefore, the first name probably won't be Michael, Francis, or Philip.

Or Diana :devil:

Gosh, now it could really happen that baby comes on my birthday. One of my middle names would be nice for a princess. Rowena, the Lady Rowena from Ivanhoe, a Saxon heiress to the throne. The male version, Rowen, probably would be too unusual for a prince. Didn't an archbishop of Canterbury have that? And the comedy team Rowan and Martin. July 23 is our date, kid!

Hi,

Have we forgotten an old & currently unused royal name:
And, my favourite for a girl:

Eleanor........

We have Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of Henry II; and their daughter Eleanor of Castile, wife of Pedro V
Eleanor of Provance, wife of Henry III
Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I.

For a boy:
Geoffrey.......

Geoffrey of Anjou, father of Henry II
Geoffrey of Brittany, son of Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine.

If we want new names in the current Royal Family, then there are two to choose from!!!

Larry

I heard that if its a girl she could be named Alexandra :flowers:

When Princess Estelle was born there was a huge uproar about her name, too. People said Estelle wasn't a name fit for a queen. (and Victoria and Daniel are normal names, as well.) But now, everyone has gotten used to it. So, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Daniel being born a commoner, one would not expect him to have a royal name. Victoria is not a normal/common name. She was named for her two great-grandmothers, both queens, Victoria of Baden and Queen Vic.

Tiggersk8 said:
Oh, ITA it is more of a middle name suggestion for the Cambridges, but Kate was close to him and I understand he and William also had a close bond form over the years. So if we do have a Baby Prince arrive in the coming days, I think it would be a lovely tribute if the name Peter was in the mix. :)

I agree, that would be a nice tribute. I didn't know that William was close to him as well. Apart from Peter Philips, there isn't another royal who has Peter as their name/middle name. It would be very nice IMO if Peter made an appearance in Baby Cambridge's names. :flowers:

Clarissa was also one of the Queen Mums middle names that is nice too.

The Queen Mother was "Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon". No sign of Clarissa in that.

I've been reading again in medieval history of the Stuarts, who came from Brittany to England and thence, some of them, to Scotland (some stayed in England, some in France). A few names prominent in the early days of the family were Alan, Walter, Aveline, Jordan. "Jordan" sounds so modern! "Alan" sounds so modern! For a while they alternated generations with Alan and Walter. This was before the Charles and James names become prominent.

I've been reading again in medieval history of the Stuarts, who came from Brittany to England and thence, some of them, to Scotland (some stayed in England, some in France). A few names prominent in the early days of the family were Alan, Walter, Aveline, Jordan. "Jordan" sounds so modern! "Alan" sounds so modern! For a while they alternated generations with Alan and Walter. This was before the Charles and James names become prominent.

The Walters and Alans were all before the Stewarts/Stuarts became royal though. Robert II, the first Stewart monarch, was the son of a Walter Stewart and Marjorie Bruce, who was the daughter of Robert the Bruce. His son was the first James.

I agree, that would be a nice tribute. I didn't know that William was close to him as well. Apart from Peter Philips, there isn't another royal who has Peter as their name/middle name. It would be very nice IMO if Peter made an appearance in Baby Cambridge's names. :flowers:

All the more likely its not to be. Peter is not some obscure royal name. Peter Philipps was named for a friend of his commoner father. Until him, Peter has no royal tradition in the UK, why no one else has it as a middle name.

I think it would be interesting, if the baby is born tomorrow, if they honored the Belgians. Either in name, or even though they don't have much contact, chose either Philippe or Mathilde as a godparent.

Prince Albert Michael Charles Philip- Albert and Philip would both honor the current and soon to be king of Belgium, but also Victori'as husband and the DOE, and of course the two grandpas are included.

Princess Mathilda Elizabeth Frances Caroline- Mathilda as a form of Mathilde, but also a British royal name. Elizabeth, Frances and Caroline for the queen and two grandmas, but Elizabeth also a form of the soon to be new Duchess of Brabant's name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom