Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the name Peter, but I think it would be a middle name rather than a first name if it were to feature. George William Francis Peter sounds quite nice. :)

For a Princess, I think Victoria, Elizabeth, Mary and Alexandra are likely choices for a first name. I can see Diana, Caroline and Charlotte featuring as middle names. Or perhaps some of the Hanoverian names such as Sophia, Adelaide and Amelia. For a Prince, I think George is the most likely choice. Arthur could also be a possibility. I can see William, Henry, Philip, Michael, Francis (and possibly) Louis feature as middle names.

Oh, ITA it is more of a middle name suggestion for the Cambridges, but Kate was close to him and I understand he and William also had a close bond form over the years. So if we do have a Baby Prince arrive in the coming days, I think it would be a lovely tribute if the name Peter was in the mix. :)

I thought of Alexander Windsor as a godfather to honor the Gloucesters, who have been holding up their end of the royal duties for generations. Perhaps Richard Duke of Gloucester is too old to be a godfather, but his son is not. Nor his daughters Rose and Davina. When I suggested Peter I was thinking primarily of Catherine's grandfather, but Peter Phillips is Anne's son and that would honor Anne, who as I recall was left out of the godparentings
of Will and Harry. And he's a good age for a godfather, and a family man.

For a girl baby I would go over the prospective names and their attachments to living people, too. Let's see. Alice, with a grandaughter of Alice of Gloucestor as godmother, Sophia for the Countess of Wessex as godmother, Phillipa or Caroline for the Middletons, Diana or Frances with a Spencer aunt or cousin of William. Just an idea...there could be other important women who could be godmothers, including Zara for Princess Anne, or Rose van Cutsem, whose name is also traditional in the RF.
There is Lady Amelia, the teen aged grandaughter of the Duke of Kent, if someone wanted to produce a living Royal descendant called Amelia, and she is old enough to be a godmother, I believe. Just pairing names with godmothers, seems like a traditional thing to do which hasn't been practiced a lot lately.

I think at least one Middleton name will sneak in, and a little girl likely will have 4 names as well.

I think you are right.. I really think Caroline as one of the names for a girl... Not sure about a boy.

William is very close to the Middleton family. In y opinion, that is what "sealed the deal" on the marriage. I can see him wanting to honor them as much as Catheine.

Elizabeth and Francis(Frances) are names that hit both sides of W&K families.

For some reason I thought the heir would have names from the BRF and that the spare would be given names to honor the Middletons. We shall soon see!

For some reason I thought the heir would have names from the BRF and that the spare would be given names to honor the Middletons. We shall soon see!

If its a girl, it is pretty much a lock that Elizabeth will be one of the names, which is besides the obvious is Kate's middle name. Why shouldn't Kate side be included for this baby. It's her child too. She is the one who spent December throwing up and she is the one who has to push it out. Wills just was involved in the fun part of the baby process.

Having had two children I certainly understand that Kate deserves to have some names too. However it is not that uncommon to honor families with different children. It was just a hunch that I had and I could be completely wrong. Did either William or Harry get names from Diana's side?

Having had two children I certainly understand that Kate deserves to have some names too. However it is not that uncommon to honor families with different children. It was just a hunch that I had and I could be completely wrong. Did either William or Harry get names from Diana's side?

William is William Arthur Philip Louis; William is a monarchical name (and commonly believed to have also come from Prince William of Gloucester), Arthur is one of Charles' middle names, Philip is the DoE's only name, and Louis comes from Lord Mountbatten.

Harry is Henry Charles Albert David; Henry is a monarchical name, Charles for his father, Albert is the first name of both Charles and Diana's paternal grandfathers, and David is the patron saint of Wales.

Charles has one name from his non-royal side of the family; he's Charles Philip Arthur George. Charles being the monarchical name, Arthur I believe in reference to King Arthur, Philip for his father, and George for his grandmother.

William is William Arthur Philip Louis; William is a monarchical name (and commonly believed to have also come from Prince William of Gloucester), Arthur is one of Charles' middle names, Philip is the DoE's only name, and Louis comes from Lord Mountbatten.

Harry is Henry Charles Albert David; Henry is a monarchical name, Charles for his father, Albert is the first name of both Charles and Diana's paternal grandfathers, and David is the patron saint of Wales.

Charles has one name from his non-royal side of the family; he's Charles Philip Arthur George. Charles being the monarchical name, Arthur I believe in reference to King Arthur, Philip for his father, and George for his grandmother.
Charles is also a long-standing name in the Spencer family with no fewer than five Dukes of Marlborough, Earls of Sunderland, and Earls Spencer carrying it as their first name. As for "Arthur" one of The Queen's godfathers was Prince Arthur Duke of Connaught (who was named after the 1st Duke of Wellington) and of course, George VI was christened "Albert Frederick Arthur George" and The Prince of Wales is "Charles Philip Arthur George".

Like Kate and Will, Charles and Diana's family had names in common.

While the names chosen for Will were royal, they had a personal level, at least two. William was not chosen for the previous kings, but to honor his father's late cousin, Prince William of Gloucester, the older brother of the current Duke. Louis of course honored Charles' beloved Uncle Louis, who was a mentor to him.

Middleton names that are also royal:
Elizabeth-for both Kate and her mother's middle name, and Carole's grandmother and great grandmother's first names
Caroline-form of Carol, also the feminine of Charles in Latin
Philippa- both for Philip and Philippa of Lancaster
Charlotte- Pippa's middle name
Francis- Michael's middle name and Diana's middle name
James- her brother
William-James's middle name as well as Will

Peter, her grandfather everyone mentions, also has the middle name Francis. Use of the name could honor Diana, Michael and both their families.

Charles and Diana's family had names in common. While the names chosen for Will were royal, they had a personal level, at least two. William was not chosen for the previous kings, but to honor his father's late cousin, Prince William of Gloucester, the older brother of the current Duke...

Middleton names that are also royal:
Francis- Michael's middle name and Diana's middle name

Peter, her grandfather everyone mentions, also has the middle name Francis. Use of the name could honor Diana, Michael and both their families.

I've never read that Charles or Diana ever indicated that William was named after Queen Elizabeth's first cousin, William of Gloucester. When William was born, Charles said that his name was chosen because no one in the current royal family had that name.

Francis- Michael's middle name
Frances- Diana's middle name
---------------------------------

Last edited:
I saw on TV that the bettors are placing James as first in the list. We have thought they would not have another James so close in age, with Edward and Sophie's James but it could be. The top name for a girl is still Alexandra. I am betting Alice or Mary.

It bothers me that the press keep saying James is top spot as they do not do their research. There is already a young boy named James in the family very close in age to this baby, so they will not use the name. If they do I would be very shocked! People normally say, "I can't believe the Queen let Edward use James for his son's name." They are lots of other Royal names future heirs could use. Little James isn't that well known of course, so a lot of the press and bookies do not know of his existence research, man, research!

As for godparents, I am still rooting for Sophie to be chosen. She supposedly helped Catherine when she joined the family so it would be a nice thing to do. She also had Louise as a bridesmaid at her wedding, which was a lovely thing to do, so having Sophie as a godmother would be nice.

I've never read that Charles or Diana ever indicated that William was named after Queen Elizabeth's first cousin, William of Gloucester. When William was born, Charles said that his name was chosen because no one in the current royal family had that name.

It's on William's Wikipedia page that he was named for William of Gloucester, but there's no source.

It's one of those many things "known" about the royals but not verified.

People are always saying that the name John is taboo in the RF and that the Queen refused to allow Diana to call her son John. Yet if the Queen is really so superstitious (which I don't believe) then it seems odd to allow the name of another prince who died prematurely in the relatively recent past.

When I hear "Prince John", I immediately think of Disney's Robin Hood ("Too late to be known as John the First, he's sure to be known as John the Worst!") :lol:

People are always saying that the name John is taboo in the RF and that the Queen refused to allow Diana to call her son John. Yet if the Queen is really so superstitious (which I don't believe) then it seems odd to allow the name of another prince who died prematurely in the relatively recent past.

Like you, I don't believe the Queen is superstitious. I've read many biographical pieces about her, and it doesn't seem to fit her character.

Francis/Frances are the same name, just the male/female variant. So giving a boy Francis or a girl Frances, would be an honor to both.

The story of Will being named for him, has been repeated by numerous sources, though not sure Charles ever confirmed it.

The other Prince William: The uncanny parallels between Wills and the dashing but doomed cousin in whose memory he was named | Mail Online

Frideswide, Prince John died of a medical condition, while Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane accident. Prince William of Gloucester had a hereditary illness which can often be controlled, with modern knowledge, and especially because he was diagnosed young, (in his twenties) before he had considerable neurological damage from the disease being uncontrolled. That said, I would certainly think using the name John should not be taboo. Whatever Prince John had, it is no longer a "family shame" thing. Apparently he had many seizures which worsened as time passed. Today people think of that with compassion, not blaming him for having this burden.
Prince William of Gloucester probably would have lived a good rest of his life. I do think it's too bad they didn't give him permission to marry the "love of his life" who was divorced with children. Having a built-in family would be a good thing for a person with Porphyria who didn't want to "pass it on." Anyway, his brother Richard of Gloucester seems to be hale, hearty and admirable and has carried on the title. I love this family.

If a girl, Elizabeth will be the second name.

If a boy, Philip will be the second name.

(Just trying to pass the time here...)

Frideswide, Prince John died of a medical condition, while Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane accident...
Yes, both died prematurely, which is why I don't understand why people insist that only John is an unlucky name. Neither should be regarded as unlucky, you can find black sheep and bad ends to match any name.

I am of course too young to remember anything of Prince John, but I do remember Prince William of Gloucester as my mother was rather smitten with him and I recall how upset she was when he was killed. I'm afraid that back then I only had the vaguest idea of who he was.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if they rehabilitate the name John.

I wish they would name her Alice if she's a girl, but I do not think they will.

What about Charlotte?
I don't know much about her but Princess Charlotte of Wales was the heir to the throne and she died at a young age and I can't remember any princess with the first name Charlotte in the immediate royal family. I have a feeling that the royals have their names "superstitions" (like John)

Frideswide, Prince John died of a medical condition, while Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane accident. Prince William of Gloucester had a hereditary illness which can often be controlled, with modern knowledge, and especially because he was diagnosed young, (in his twenties) before he had considerable neurological damage from the disease being uncontrolled. That said, I would certainly think using the name John should not be taboo. Whatever Prince John had, it is no longer a "family shame" thing. Apparently he had many seizures which worsened as time passed. Today people think of that with compassion, not blaming him for having this burden.
Prince William of Gloucester probably would have lived a good rest of his life. I do think it's too bad they didn't give him permission to marry the "love of his life" who was divorced with children. Having a built-in family would be a good thing for a person with Porphyria who didn't want to "pass it on." Anyway, his brother Richard of Gloucester seems to be hale, hearty and admirable and has carried on the title. I love this family.

Because its not just the one John in the family. There was also Alexander John, Edward VII's son who died shortly after birth. Diana also had a brother named John who died less then a day after birth.

There are of course Johns who reached adulthood, but the last of which was the uncle of Henry VI, the Duke of Bedford (first husband of Jacquetta, mother of Elizabeth Woodville). But John of Gaunt, was an ancestor to the Tudor dynasty.

But then there is of course King John and the whole Magna Carta. But if we are going to rule out names by ruling out names held by bad kings, things like Edward, Richard, Henry, and so on should be ruled out as well.

What about Charlotte?
I don't know much about her but Princess Charlotte of Wales was the heir to the throne and she died at a young age and I can't remember any princess with the first name Charlotte in the immediate royal family. I have a feeling that the royals have their names "superstitions" (like John)

Not royal, but William has a new little cousin, Charlotte Spencer.

The Duke of Kent's granddaughter is Marina Charlotte.

princess Charlotte was George Vi only legitimate child was very popular unlike the rest of the royals of time. She died in childbirth along with the baby which paved the way for the reign of Victoria.

What about Charlotte?

Yet the Queen didn't flinch from naming her son and heir Charles - the name of a king who was executed. And one might think she would have avoided Edward too, given the issues surrounding the last king of that name.

If there's anyone who's superstitious about names, I doubt it's the Queen.

Countessmeout, that's one reason I hope they will choose a less-used name. The big gun names have belonged to terrible people as well as good people, with Edward, Richard, and Henry belonging to some terrible people. Edward I particularly galls me because of his determination to practically exterminate Scottish culture, in his unceasing will to dominate that country completely--and he destroyed abbeys willy nilly in the process, had no respect even for monks and nuns. And yet we have Prince Edward of Wessex who is absolutely nothing like Edward I, and is now among the more respected royals, along with his wife Sophie.
Yet it would be good to have some fresh names without historical baggage. Peter could be one, David could be one, Alexander might be one (not sure about baggage with Alexander. Alexander the Great, remember him? He was the scourge of the known world of the Eastern Mediterranean).
Among the women, my history is limp. Who was admirable, who not so much? Seems that in modern times the "Alices" have been not only admirable but sometimes interesting characters like Phillip's mother. Can't say about medieval Alices's, don't know of any right off the top of my head. If we consider the past Mary's, Henry VIII's daughter Mary was one of the worst queens in history, in terms of people persecuted and executed by fire. Bad job, Mary. But that should not stop the use of Mary in modern times.

Alexander the Great should play little role in a decision for a British prince.

The name features prominently in the Mountbattan family. Philip's maternal grandfather was Prince Louis Alexander Mountbattan, 1st Marquess of Milford Haven. Louis' father was Prince Alexander of Hesse and Rhine. His brother Henry had a son Alexander, Marquess of Carisbrooke. In recent generations it has been used mainly as a middle name. Lord Ivar Mountbattan has it as a middle name, and his eldest daughter is Alexandra (Ivar's father David and Philip were first cousins, Alice and George were sister and brother).

Other than that we have Edward VII's son Alexander John mentioned above. And those who have carried it as a middle name include Prince Alfred, the eldest son of Queen Victoria's son Alfred. As well Prince George, Duke of Kent, and the current Duke of Gloucester. The Duke's eldest son is Alexander and his heir is Xan.

We also have Princess Alexandra, which is a feminine version of the name.
I think Alexandra more likely IMO.

Female names:

Margrat: Queen's sister and also Queen Margrat of Scotland, a Saint
Mary: yes there is Bloody Mary, but there is also Queen Mary of Teck who was known for her work in both world wars in the hospitals, prosperity drives and helping the war movement.
Alexandra: well loved for her charity work, raising money for hospitals, and a nursing corps was founded in her name
Alice: both Vic's daughter and Philip's mother have been mentioned

If we really wanted to go for a royal name without a reputation one way or another, we could look at names rarely used, and little is known.

Bridget: daughter of Edward IV, was a nun
Cecilia: another nun, daughter of William I

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom