The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Duke of Marmalade, you are right on. We do not have a clue as to what they will really decide! And maybe they are in some degree of disagreement themselves. And having to discuss on on "secure lines" so the press won't get word. May be a source of tension.

I am still in favor of names which are distinguished names which have family ties, but not likely to be used, Timothy and Peter. Or Irish and Scots names like Aidan. So I might as well end my speculation. Only three more months until it's "out"!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Who in the royal family considers it unlucky may I ask?

I kind of find your list a bit confusing so I'm going to do my own on first names only and go back to 1707 with Anne;
For John: it's been used 7 times by royals (6 as just John and once as Alexander John), almost always with somewhat bad results. 4 died young (the eldest making it to 20), one died as an adult but without issue, one was King John, and the last was rather successful but his children went on to start the War of Roses.

As for my list, I started at William I, went forward until the present, and took note of every name used by a monarch, his or her consort(s), and their legitimate children. For the pre-Hanovers I only looked at given names but I noted both if two were used (such as the case of Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales), for the Hanovers and Windsors I noted the middle names of the monarch as well. The Mountbatten-Windsors were the only grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the monarch that I noted. Rather than include the entire list of names, I just made note of the 10 most common names of each gender, with the number of times each was used in brackets.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

I don't believe in bad luck or good luck. John's a suitable name, and if the parents like it, I have no problem with it.

Same with Charlotte, notwithstanding the very tragic Charlotte of Wales. In fact, naming the future Queen Charlotte would be a nice tribute to the woman who would have been the "Queen Victoria".
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I don't believe in bad luck or good luck. John's a suitable name, and if the parents like it, I have no problem with it.
"Yo no creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay."

Believing in bad luck or not, this name doesn't have a good history within the Royal Family.

I don't think they'll choose John. In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their child with the name of a Hanoverian/Windsor King or Queen. George is my favorite for a boy. Elizabeth for a girl.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

Believing in bad luck or not, this name doesn't have a good history within the Royal Family.

I don't think they'll choose John. In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their child with the name of a Hanoverian/Windsor King or Queen. George is my favorite for a boy. Elizabeth for a girl.
Hahahahahaha! Tienes razon.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

Why a Hanoverian/Windsor name?

The Mountbatten-Windsors don't seem to place much emphasis on the use of Hanoverian/Windsor names. Of the Queen's children, two had Stuart names, one had a Greek Royal name, and one had a name that has been seen in almost every house (the exceptions being the Normans, Stuarts, and technically the Hanovers). Of Charles' children, both have names that heavily predate the Hanovers - William is seen in the Normans, Stuarts, and Hanovers, while Henry is used by every house from the Normans to the Tudors.

If we're thinking that it's going to be a monarch's name and limiting it to just the Hanovers/Windsors then we're left with George, William, or Edward for a boy and Victoria or Elizabeth for a girl. Because I highly doubt they're going to go with a name already in use (except for maybe the Queen's), that leaves George, Victoria, and maybe Elizabeth. While I have nothing against any of these names, I really hope they don't go with George simply because it's been too over used in recent history, and I hope they don't go with Elizabeth because it puts too much pressure on the child - who will doubtless be compared to her great-grandmother and grandmother regardless of name.

I'm hoping that this child has the name of a pre-Hanover monarch. A Richard or Stephen if it's a boy and we're looking at just English names that aren't in use, although I wouldn't rule out Charles either. Then Mary or Matilda if it's a girl.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Same with Charlotte, notwithstanding the very tragic Charlotte of Wales. In fact, naming the future Queen Charlotte would be a nice tribute to the woman who would have been the "Queen Victoria".
The only problem that I have with Charlotte is the fact that William has a young cousin named Charlotte. Charlotte Spencer is only a year old an while it might not create problems from a press point of view it could be confusing from a family point of view - similar to how the use of James might make things confusing.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Why a Hanoverian/Windsor name?

The Mountbatten-Windsors don't seem to place much emphasis on the use of Hanoverian/Windsor names. Of the Queen's children, two had Stuart names, one had a Greek Royal name, and one had a name that has been seen in almost every house (the exceptions being the Normans, Stuarts, and technically the Hanovers). Of Charles' children, both have names that heavily predate the Hanovers - William is seen in the Normans, Stuarts, and Hanovers, while Henry is used by every house from the Normans to the Tudors.

If we're thinking that it's going to be a monarch's name and limiting it to just the Hanovers/Windsors then we're left with George, William, or Edward for a boy and Victoria or Elizabeth for a girl. Because I highly doubt they're going to go with a name already in use (except for maybe the Queen's), that leaves George, Victoria, and maybe Elizabeth. While I have nothing against any of these names, I really hope they don't go with George simply because it's been too over used in recent history, and I hope they don't go with Elizabeth because it puts too much pressure on the child - who will doubtless be compared to her great-grandmother and grandmother regardless of name.

I'm hoping that this child has the name of a pre-Hanover monarch. A Richard or Stephen if it's a boy and we're looking at just English names that aren't in use, although I wouldn't rule out Charles either. Then Mary or Matilda if it's a girl.
If a pre-Hanoverian name is used, it can be considered an Hanoverian/Windsor name.

And that includes Elizabeth, Charles, William, Anne, Edward, James, Mary and many others.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The only problem that I have with Charlotte is the fact that William has a young cousin named Charlotte. Charlotte Spencer is only a year old an while it might not create problems from a press point of view it could be confusing from a family point of view - similar to how the use of James might make things confusing.
if you look back at the Royal Family back in the 19th century you will see there were lots of George's, Alberts, Victorias, Mary's, Edwards, Arthurs, a couple Charlottes, Leopold's and Louise's in the family.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Not only is her name Charlotte, but it's Charlotte Diana. I've no doubt Will's daughter will have Diana in her names.

We really don't know if this would serve as a deterrent. Does Will spend time with the Spencers? Are they close? Are there so many nicknames for Charlotte that it does not matter? In some families use of the same name does not bother people.

Problem is, Will and Kate have relatively few choices with names. They don't have the run of the entire baby book. Perhaps the Spencers consulted with Will and Kate and it's not a name that they are keen on.

We'll see.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammie View Post
I agree. This baby will be a future king or queen and if William and Kate like a name that is already in use with another family member, well thats just the way it it is. Royal heir trumps minor royals and Spencer cousins
Yeah, I can't see William caring much that he has a young cousin named Charlotte if he really wants to use that name for his daughter (provided the baby is a girl, of course). You name your child want you want, and if someone else has that name, that's too bad.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Serene Highness

My favorite is still Charlotte-Rose, I know the British royal family typically doesnt use a hyphened name but her name would go so well with Ingrid-Alexander, Cathrina-Amalia, Charlotte-Rose. I think it sounds great!
(sorry I can't spell very well)
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Problem is, Will and Kate have relatively few choices with names. They don't have the run of the entire baby book.
They certainly can't do that.

Those are the best (if not only) "name books" they can look into:

List of English monarchs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (from the Normans onwards).

List of British monarchs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of English consorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (from the Normans onwards).

List of British consorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
My favorite is still Charlotte-Rose, I know the British royal family typically doesnt use a hyphened name but her name would go so well with Ingrid-Alexander, Cathrina-Amalia, Charlotte-Rose. I think it sounds great!
(sorry I can't spell very well)
I doubt Princess Ingrid Alexandra (who hasn't a hyphenated name), will reign as Queen Ingrid Alexandra of Norway.

Her father was Prince Haakon Magnus until 1991, when he became Crown Prince Haakon.

Similarly, I believe that, when the time comes, Princess Ingrid Alexandra will become Crown Princess Ingrid.

The Prince of Orange decided to reign as King Willem-Alexander, so, a Queen Catharina-Amalia is possible.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Most Common Names of Brithish/English Monarchs:

Kings:
Henry's -8
Edward s-8
George's-6
William's - 4
Richards-3
James-2
Charles-2
John-1
Stephan-1

Queens:
Elizabeth's-2
Mary's-2
Victoria-1
Anne-1
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness

Stephan/Stephen would be a nice change of pace.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

1000 years and only 13 names. We need something new!

I notice more posters are going with my Charlotte Rose suggestion - how do we get the info to the Cambridges??

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I notice more posters are going with my Charlotte Rose suggestion - how do we get the info to the Cambridges??
Charlotte Rose is a beautiful name, but I think it's more suited for a second born daughter.

Like the Yorks in the 20's, they give the firstborn a tradional name (by tradional, in saying that it was used by a previous Queen). But the second born was named Margaret Rose, indeed a beautiful name, but not as traditional as Elizabeth.

In my opinion, the Cambridges can do the same, naming a firstborn daughter Elizabeth or Victoria, and a second born Charlotte Rose.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Nobility

Where in the rulebook (if there is such a thing) does it say they are only allowed to use names that have been used for british kings/queens (or consorts) before. I really wouldn't be surprised if they surprise us after all. Apparently Kate said they had a list of names and her friends kept texting her names. To me that means they will do what they like and not what the royal family has done for the past 300 yrs. People say they won't because they are traditional. They could pick a perfectly traditional name without using one the royal family has used 10x before. If the stories about William are true I don't think he will let anyone "bully" him into picking a certain name (or not).
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Where in the rulebook (if there is such a thing) does it say they are only allowed to use names that have been used for british kings/queens (or consorts) before.
There's no rulebook. But there's a lot of tradition. Baby Cambridge is the future British Monarch.