The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post

She would have to spell it, because I doubt that I am the only one who is more familiar with the spelling Cecilia.

Anyway I think "Princess Cecilia" sounds awful. Even if you don't have a lisp.
Yes, Cecilia is the correct spelling. Cecelia is a combination of Cecilia and Celia, two unrelated names. I like Cecilia, but I agree that "Princess Cecilia" sounds awful.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen View Post
Yes, Cecilia is the correct spelling. Cecelia is a combination of Cecilia and Celia, two unrelated names. I like Cecilia, but I agree that "Princess Cecilia" sounds awful.
I found five Princesses with this name or its variations:

Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark (1911-1937); who is one of the Duke of Edinburgh's sisters.
Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1540-1627).
Princess Cecilia of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilie of Baden (1839-1891); who became Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna of Russia.
Olga Feodorovna of Baden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1807-1844).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes...7%E2%80%931844)

Princess Cecylia Lubomirska (1907-2001).
Princess Cecylia Lubomirska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't think Cecilia will be one of Baby Cambridge's name.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Gentry

I think "Princess Cecilia" sounds fine in languages like German, but not English.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness

How about Princess Alana (Honey Boo-Boo's real name).
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
How about Princess Alana (Honey Boo-Boo's real name).
Well if Honey Boo-Boo's name is an option then we'll include some of the Duggar's names too. Princess Joy-Anna Johanna Jessa Jinger Jordyn OR Prince Justin Jedediah Jeremiah. I never understood why they had children with similar sounding names (Joy-Anna and Johanna, Jeremiah and Jedediah - but that is a whole other conversation topic.)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Well if Honey Boo-Boo's name is an option then we'll include some of the Duggar's names too. Princess Joy-Anna Johanna Jessa Jinger Jordyn OR Prince Justin Jedediah Jeremiah. I never understood why they had children with similar sounding names (Joy-Anna and Johanna, Jeremiah and Jedediah - but that is a whole other conversation topic.)
I know that has driven me nuts to. Also Josh,Josiah,Josie.

But Joanna is a form of Joan, and Henry IV's wife Joan was also known as Joanna. And they have a son John David, a double royal name there.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

You'll never see a male child in the BRF given the name John. It's considered extremely unlucky.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Elizabeth is not exactly a name that's been used very often by the BRF. We've only had two sovereigns with the name, as opposed to 8 Henrys, 8 Edwards, 6 Georges etc.

It would be rather odd to have to start referring to 'Queen Victoria I' if they choose her name for their first child. Although, given the reverence with which Queen Victoria is still remembered by the royals (e.g. maintaining Balmoral almost exactly as she left it), they might decide to leave her as the only Victoria.

All the talk of wanting something 'unique' misses the point somewhat, I feel. This child is a future monarch. That must be uppermost in William and Kate's thoughts when picking a name. It has to be a name that will command respect and stand the test of time. No British version of 'Queen Estelle' please.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Elizabeth is not exactly a name that's been used very often by the BRF. We've only had two sovereigns with the name, as opposed to 8 Henrys, 8 Edwards, 6 Georges etc.
I think it's just because very few sovereigns (in comparison) have been female (due to the succession laws).

Aside from Elizabeth I, there was Princess Elizabeth of Wales, daughter of Frederick, Prince of Wales and sister of George III, then there was The Princess Elizabeth, daughter of George III, then Princess Elizabeth of Clarence, daughter of the future William IV, who would have become Queen over Victoria had she lived. So it's really just as "common" as any other female name.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Elizabeth is actually one of the most popular names for an English/British princess.

A look at the names of the monarchs, children of monarchs, and the consorts of monarchs, the most popular names to use are:

Boys
- Henry (19 times)
- Edward (17 times)
- William (16 times)
- George (14 times)
- Frederick (9 times)
- Albert and John (7 times each)
- Arthur, Richard, Philip, and James (5 times each)

Girls
- Mary/Marie/Maria (18 times)
- Elizabeth (12 times)
- Anne (11 times)
- Katherine/Catherine (10 times)
- Eleanor and Matilda (8 times)
- Margaret and Joan (7 times)
- Sophia/Sophie and Isabel/Isabella (6 times)

Just to note, I did look at children who didn't survive infancy, but not illegitimate children. I also used middle names in the case of sovereigns and the current Wales/Cambridge family, but not the rest of the Mountbatten-Windsors or the children of earlier monarchs.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

You're right, Cecelia is hard to spell and somewhat hard to pronounce. I do like Estelle, unlike some people, because it's "different" and yet connected to a family member whom Princess Victoria admired, and who did live both a romantic and admirable life, we have come to find out. Estelle is hard to pronounce in English with Princess, but it probably is easier in Swedish (I don't know their word for Princess but maybe it's Prinzen, which does not end in "s"). Incidentally, speaking of Sweden, Madeline is a smashing name for a princess, but I guess it's taken? Stephanie is great but it's taken.
If Victoria has another girl, maybe she will look to another family member's name: Lillian
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Royal Highness

I love the name Stephanie - it's a lovely old French name and currently in use in Europe. But I doubt that it will ever be used in the BRF, let alone the future monarch. Ditto Madeleine.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Estelle is hard to pronounce in English with Princess, but it probably is easier in Swedish (I don't know their word for Princess but maybe it's Prinzen, which does not end in "s").
The Swedish word for Princess, I believe, is 'Prinsessan'.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I found five Princesses with this name or its variations:

Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark (1911-1937); who is one of the Duke of Edinburgh's sisters.
Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1540-1627).
Princess Cecilia of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilie of Baden (1839-1891); who became Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna of Russia.
Olga Feodorovna of Baden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1807-1844).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes...7%E2%80%931844)

Princess Cecylia Lubomirska (1907-2001).
Princess Cecylia Lubomirska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't think Cecilia will be one of Baby Cambridge's name.

And also Duchess Ceilie zu Mecklenburg who became the last Crown Princess of the German Empire and of Prussia and also her youngest daughter was named Cecilie.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Eleanor! Nice name, historical, born by a very important Queen of England and mother of Richard the Lionheart.
I would love this name if it is a girl
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
You'll never see a male child in the BRF given the name John. It's considered extremely unlucky.
Who in the royal family considers it unlucky may I ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Elizabeth is actually one of the most popular names for an English/British princess.

A look at the names of the monarchs, children of monarchs, and the consorts of monarchs, the most popular names to use are:.
I kind of find your list a bit confusing so I'm going to do my own on first names only and go back to 1707 with Anne;

Regal Names Monarch chose and their heirs chosen names when you look at it:
Anne
George - 7
William
Victoria
Edward - 2
Elizabeth

Monarch's Children this list inculdes the names of Monarchs when they were heirs, such as Albert for George & Edward -
George - 4
Sophia - 2
Frederick - 2
Anne - 3
Amelia - 2
Caroline
William - 2
Mary - 3
Louise - 3
Charlotte - 3
Edward - 3
Augusta - Sophia
Elizabeth - 3
Ernst Augustus
Augustus Frederick
Adolphus
Octavius
Alfred - 2
Alexandrine - (Victoria)
Victoria
Alice
Helena
Arthur
Leopold
Beatrice
Albert Victor
Maud
Alexander John
Henry
John
Albert - 2 (George VI & Edward VII)
Margaret
Charles
Andrew
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Who in the royal family considers it unlucky may I ask?
No one in the Royal Family has actually issued a statement, or uttered the words to friends, that the name "John" is bad luck. But there hasn't been a King John since the first one died in 1216, and he is considered to have not been a good king. Aside from that, George V's son named John had epilepsy and died young. Edward VII had a son named John who died as an infant. So parallels are drawn and the rumor got around that the Royals consider it bad luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
No one in the Royal Family has actually issued a statement, or uttered the words to friends, that the name "John" is bad luck. But there hasn't been a King John since the first one died in 1216, and he is considered to have not been a good king. Aside from that, George V's son named John had epilepsy and died young. Edward VII had a son named John who died as an infant. So parallels are drawn and the rumor got around that the Royals consider it bad luck.
Didn't Diana want to name her son after her father (who was named John), but was told the name was out of the question? I know I've read that somewhere.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Nobility

Yes, that's true. I don't remember if she wanted it as the first name, or just one of the names, but she did want to include it and wasn't allowed (if "allowance" is the correct word).
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I am sure it has been said before but I am sure in case it's a girl there will be Diana and/or Carole among the names. Regarding a boy, I can imagine Michael or Philip among the names. As first names, frankly I have no clue.