Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Albert for a first name for a boy, and the names Victoria and Alexandra somewhere in the names for a girl. Elizabeth, Diana, and Catherine are still my 1st choice for 1st names for the girls, and Robert is still my first choice for a first name for a boy.

Taking Pippa & Harry out of it. They seem like the people everybody will name. What if Wills & Kate follow the lead of William's godparents - None of his aunts/uncles were his godparents.

How about Peter or Zara or Sarah Chatto or David Linley as family choices? Sam Whaley-Cohen or Holly Branson as friends, James Meade or Thomas Van Strabeezee, Laura Lopes (Camilla's daughter), a Van Custem, Lady Louise (if she is old enough or do you have to be confirmed in the COE to be a godparent). I can see Sophie perhaps too.

I kinda of hope they pick relatively young people.

I think harry will be a great godparent and uncle. i would choose him as one

I don't think there's much chance that the siblings from both sides will NOT be godparents. They also aren't going to make an eight year old Lady Louise a godparent. That's not done in any Christian church. Sixteen is probably the youngest you can be. The godparents are likely to be the friends who stood up for them at the wedding. I wouldn't be surprised to see William's old nanny Tiggy as one of the godparents either, particularly if it's a girl and there are several godmothers.

protestan or catholic doesnt matter, if the couple has very close friends that they want to choose as godparents, they will not look into their choosen faith. its the relashionship that matters.

i will stick with Mary, since its my favourite! (as i said before, Mary III sounds so regal, i just LOVE IT). then i have other names that i like, Isolde, Margaret, Matilda, Victoria, Anne, Catherine (i doubt it though), Elisabeth, Alexandra, Caroline, Diane (not Diana), Gwenevere (i think this was the name of King Arthur's wife, right?)...
for boy, Richard (of course), Arthur (love the history), Phillip, George, Edward, James, Henry, John, ...

I'm really getting behind Georgiana for a girl. New for a queen regnant, but related to one of the most popular male regnal names. Also like Caroline, Alexandra (or Alexandrina), Jane, and Matilda. I think Elizabeth needs a break as a first name - there'd be so much pressure on QEIII to live up to the woman whose reign she was (almost certainly) born under. Mary and Victoria are lovely names, but the next generation on the continent is going to have those queens and I'd rather not double up. And Diana as a first name would be waaaaay too much baggage.

Georgiana Elizabeth Frances
Caroline Victoria Mary
Alexandrina Margaret Louise

Boys names are so thin on the ground without doubling, I'm honestly thinking this may be the age of Albert. But if anyone has earned the honor of their name becoming one of the family's traditional names, it's Prince Philip.

Philip Henry Arthur James
Albert (Bertie) Charles Michael Louis

I don't have a problem with either Victoria or Elizabeth as names for a future queen. By the time she might come to the throne QEII will be a historic memory like Victoria is today, and most of her subjects will likely not have been alive during the reign of QEII. A Victoria II of the UK would not be confused with a Swedish Queen Victoria as she is likely to be a very old lady if still alive when Victoria II comes to the throne in the UK.

With all due respect to the other royal families of Europe,no one will confuse the sovereign of the UK with a king or queen on the continent.

Why is it guessed that someone from another royal family will be a godparent? I mean, do William and Kate even have a relationship other than friendly acquaintance with anyone of the European royal houses (Greece notwithstanding)? I know a lot of them were invited to the wedding, but I assumed that was just the proper thing to do being the largest monarchy. I mean, Edward and Sophie are usually the ones sent to any big royal gathering so do W&K even really KNOW anyone else?

I may not be wording this coherently....

Thats why i say harry. he would be a great choice because him in william are truely best friends and he is great with kids in im sure harry will do anything for the baby.

Harry and Pippa are definite godparents, who was Catherine's cousin who was sitting in the front row at the wedding, I remember hearing they were close. She may be an option if they choose more than 1 godparent from Kate's side. For names I liked:
Girl: Eleanor Frances Elizabeth
Boy: John Albert Charles William (I know John is unlikely but I can just picture them with a Jack)

I like Georgiana too. Not common, although certainly it has occurred among the nobility.
Georgiana, Margaret, Alice, Rose names that are a little less used today. Remember the old song "Georgie Girl"? It would be trotted out for sure if this is Baby Cambridge's name! I really like the old fashioned pretty name of Lady Rose Victoria Windsor (the Gloucester daughter). It's like a floral bouquet for a girl with a long tradition. I even like some antique Saxon names, especially Rowena, which isn't necessarily royal but gained that association through the novel "Ivanhoe." To overflow with ancient tradition and romance, how about Robert (for a boy) and Rowena or Rose for the girl, if it's twins, which probably it isn't, but maybe.

I think, for a girl, Victoria is a strong front runner. It has a precedent, but is far enough in the past to allow a future monarch her own identity. I think Diana is also a possible middle name. Other middle name possibilities include someone from the Middleton side, and a Scottish name. Margaret or Marguerite would be a nod to Scotland and Princess Margaret, and Marguerite was one of the Queen Mother's middle names.

For a boy, I think George is a strong possibility. If it isn't George, I think Albert will be a middle name, in memory of George VI ( I don't think they'll use both). Richard also struck me as a possibility, although posters who have pointed out the Richard III issue have me rethinking that. I think there will also be at least one Scottish monarchical middle name, with Andrew, Alexander, or Malcolm as possibilities there. Phillip is also a strong possibility.

I think the Queen would be more interested in having the name honor her parents or her husband than herself. That may be the one thing I think I could probably say for certain about the Queen.

I also keep reminding myself that they will probably try to have more than one child, so there will be more opportunities for names to be used. With the trend toward smaller families, though, they can't really count on having more than one of each gender, so they may feel the need to use the opportunities they have to remember family members.

I like the idea of Peter or Zara as possible godparents.

I'm really getting behind Georgiana for a girl. New for a queen regnant, but related to one of the most popular male regnal names. Also like Caroline, Alexandra (or Alexandrina), Jane, and Matilda. I think Elizabeth needs a break as a first name - there'd be so much pressure on QEIII to live up to the woman whose reign she was (almost certainly) born under. Mary and Victoria are lovely names, but the next generation on the continent is going to have those queens and I'd rather not double up. And Diana as a first name would be waaaaay too much baggage.

Georgiana Elizabeth Frances
Caroline Victoria Mary
Alexandrina Margaret Louise

Boys names are so thin on the ground without doubling, I'm honestly thinking this may be the age of Albert. But if anyone has earned the honor of their name becoming one of the family's traditional names, it's Prince Philip.

Philip Henry Arthur James
Albert (Bertie) Charles Michael Louis

Well, since my post a couple of days ago, I must say I hadn't even thought of Georgiana, but the more I think about it the more I like it! It's regal, traditional, very British and I think perfect for a female monarch's name.
Also, I've always loved the name Alexandrina.

If they name a boy Charles, he can be Charlie, which his grandfather never was called. Harking back to Bonnie Prince Charlie, though, who was a figure of controversy, although loved by the Scots. Prince Charlie sounds like it's met it's time. But the other grandfather's name, Michael, is fine too. So why not just give the lad Charles Michael or Michael Charles and forget the rest of the lineup of names? No one can feel hurt if the boy is named after his two grandpas, short and sweet. Late night musings, as if one must solve this problem (lol).

Peter is a name no one has mentioned because it is not a British regnal name but it sounds great to me. Also Luke or Lukas. Short and manly. A new prince of Leichtenstein is Prince Lukas so someone thought of it already and liked it. Pete and Luke for twin boys or two brothers.

Boy - Philip, George, Edward, James, Henry, Albert
Girl - Victoria, Elizabeth, Mary, Margrete

I strongly think that Diana will be used as a middle name.

I think Peter would be a great choice as a godparent. I wonder if Pippa will be choosen for the heir or the second child.

Last edited:
It's traditional to use 4 names (with some notibeable exceptions) for a male and 3 for a female, I wouldn't want them to change it. I also can't see them using Michael for a first name, at least not for the first born. In my opinion using Frances as a middle name for a female and Francis as a middle name for a male would be ideal for them, as it respects both Diana and Michael.

Diana for a girl....however I'am pretty sure they will not put this name because of all what is involved...but I think William will love to have a child with this name! But they will be compared so that will be too mucht...

I have a feeling they'll go with George if they have a boy, as it's the only male Monarchial name not in current use in the RF.

(I hope not since I don't care for it, but anything is better than Albert, imo. Anyway, Albert is not a monarchial name.)

I'd love to see them choose Stephen; he may not have been a popular king, but every name has negative connotations.

For a girl I really think they'll go with Elizabeth, just a feeling.

(The only queen regnant names are Elizabeth, Mary, Jane, and Anne. Anne is in use, but what about Jane? She'd be Jane II).

I too believe Elizabeth needs a "rest". It's a beautiful name but I would choose something less currently occupied. I would not like George unless it appears as the female form, Georgiana or Georgina. The last "Lady of Rothes" from Scotland in the 20th century was Georgiana Maxwell, as that line allowed females to hold the title, begun in the 12th century, if there was no male heir. My "aunt" in the 12th century, Muriel de Pollock, was the first "Lady of Rothes". Her daughter Eva (also an only daughter) was the second Lady of Rothes. The third Lady of Rothes has no recorded name since she was absorbed into the Leslie family with her marriage to Sir Norman de Leslyn--I got this information confirmed by Barrie Leslie, current holder of the title for the Oz branch of the family. Just an irrelevant aside here.

Thus Georgiana has Scottish background as well as English.

I would love to see a middle name Cristabel after Princess Alice. It's a magical name, calling up Sugarplum fairies, although the baby won't be born at Christmas time, as was Alice.

Last edited:
(The only queen regnant names are Elizabeth, Mary, Jane, and Anne. Anne is in use, but what about Jane? She'd be Jane II).

You forgot Victoria. I suspect Victoria is very high on the list of potential girls' names.

My favourite girl names would be Alice,Anne or Mary as first name but around the time the Princess is getting 30 there will probably be a Queen Mary of Denmark & a Queen Victoria of Sweden.Anne is already used for the Princess Royal but Alice is still "free" and would be something fresh but not too unconventional for a reigning monarch (and too short for the tabloids to turn it into a silly nickname).

Jane would remind me of poor Jane Seymour who died shortly after giving birth to a male heir and somehow the name doesn´t sound very regal in my ears,but that´s just my impression.

For girls, I do love Charlotte, but Elizabeth would be a nice tribute. Anne would also be great, but I'm not a fan of Mary or Jane because their reigns were not great ones. I would like the name Diana to be saved as a first name (if it were to be used as a first name) for Harry's use (should he marry and have a daughter). I think a daughter of Harry's would have a lot less pressure with that name than a daughter of William. If it were the third or fourth name for one of William's daughter, that would be nice.

Charlotte is a very beautiful name but I´m afraid it would be turned into "Charlie" just like Jacqueline Kennedy was turned into "Jackie" or Catherine into "Kate",I have even seen someone refering to Charlotte from Monaco as "Char":argh: (!)
Officially she would still be Princess Charlotte but everyone would use an ugly distortion of her name...

Alexandra would be a nice name and it is also the Queen's middle name.

Spencer is a strong name for a boy/man and would be a delightful way to honor Princess Diana and be a "modern-day" name. Amelia I can see with Queen in front of it. But, in the final reckoning, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will make their choices known.

ROFLMAO at the idea of King Spencer. Sorry but that is just too too funny an idea.

I love this name for a boy:

Prince George Michael Spencer Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom