The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Caroline of Monaco doesn't have much of a profile in the UK. I doubt that more than a very small minority would know who she is, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
The only wee problem I see with Caroline as a name is that there is already a well-publicized Princess Caroline of Monaco. But that would be a problem mainly for the press, having to further identify which Caroline they were reporting on. Otherwise, no problem. Cecelia Caroline would be nice. She might be referred to as CeCe, but that's kind of cute for a little gal or teen, and of course she would have the whole name in use, not a nick-name, when she became queen.
Cecelia Caroline Charlotte Rose (the Rose being for princess Diana). That's a very fancy name which would look good inside flourishes on invitations, with roses and nosegays all over. Very "period". Why not?
It doesn't bother me, if the name is already used by another royal house. Especially if different generations. It would seem odder if they were the same generation, and both would be queen.

Ingrid, Catharina, Leonor (Eleanor), Elisabeth, Estelle, would be avoided IMO, though Ingrid and Estelle wouldn't be on the list IMO anyways.

But if we are going to avoide names already used in royal circles, like Caroline, we will have to take a number of top contenders off:

Charlotte: Caroline's daughter
Elizabeth: Elisabeth is a form, future queen of Belgium
Alexandra: ued in a few place including Ingrid Alexandra, and Caroline's daughter
Sophie/a: Sofia, a form, name of queen of spain and one of her granddaughters
Leonor/Eleanor: used in both Belgium and Spain
William: Guiilliame is a form, hereditary grand duke of Luxembourg, and soon t be king of Netherlands Wilhelm
Philip: two crown princes have a form of it (spain and Belgium)
Alexander: second name of soon to be king of the Netherlands

Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

If it's a girl and they name her Elizabeth, in the future, Europe will have Queen Elizabeth III of the United Kingdom and Queen Elisabeth of Belgium.

I don't see any problem, there are, currently, two Alberts II, and no one gets confused.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Why do people keep associating the name Rose with Diana? Just because Elton John sang that reworked song at her funeral seems a pretty gruesome reason to give the name to a daughter.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I picked Rose for the Queen's sister; Princess Margaret Rose, not because of Elton John's song. That didn't even cross my mind.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Why do people keep associating the name Rose with Diana? Just because Elton John sang that reworked song at her funeral seems a pretty gruesome reason to give the name to a daughter.
I agree totally. Diana was not associated with that name at all while she was alive.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

I see your point NGalitzine. Maybe would be better to just use Diana or Frances instead of Rose, except that I like Rose so much as a name, without association to Diana necessarily. Cepe has suggested Charlotte Rose as a name many times, and it's nice.
Margaret Rose was very nice too. I was responding, in the name I last suggested, to the discussion about using Carole or Caroline. I agree that it would be nice to honor Catherine's mother. Catherine's mother's middle name is Frances, too, I have read here, but using a middle name is not quite as honorific as using the first name.
It would be all right it they just went ahead and used the two first names of the grandma's: Diana Carole. But I'd prefer to start out with a fresh name like Cecilia, followed by the honorifics, like Cecilia Diana Carole. I think 3 names is actually adequate, especially if the name is fresh, like Cecilia.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Carole's middle name is Elizabeth. Her dad middle name is Francis
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Serene Highness

I really think Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole is the best option.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I really think Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole is the best option.
I will be so bummed if they use Elizabeth as a first name. The queen is wonderful, but no need to keep repeating the same name. I'm fine with Elizabeth as a middle name but I will be really disappointed if they use either Elizabeth or Victoria as the first name.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Serene Highness

Me too, Hermione. I do not want reissue of Elizabeth or Victoria. A little creativity is needed to have a fresh first name. We on this thread have come up with a list of creative but dignified and significant names which would not be so repetitive. Names like Charlotte, Caroline, Cecilia, Alice, Timothy, Robert, Richard, David and many more. I've probably forgotten some good suggestions here, just listed a few I remember which we have discussed, which have not been overused in modern times. Even Genevieve would actually be a regal name although I don't remember a royal connection. It just sounds regal, doesn't it? My friend who named her daughter Genevieve did so to have a nice-sounding name that was not common and which was a "saint's name" and thus traditional.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Nobility

I agree with you both. But I'm not a fan of naming children after living family members. Especially in a family that famous. It only makes it harder for the child to form it's own identity if it's constantly compared to someone else. I'd rather they go for a lesser used name like Charlotte, Elanor, Georgiana. And imo it doesn't have to be a name formerly used by a queen or a princess. I think I can remember people here saying people didn't think Victoria was a proper name for a queen and look now...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
But I'm not a fan of naming children after living family members. Especially in a family that famous. It only makes it harder for the child to form it's own identity if it's constantly compared to someone else.
I'm not sure if I entirely agree here. Perhaps if you're named after an uncle or share a name with a cousin (particularly one close in age) - which is why I don't think James, Louise, Caroline, or Charlotte should be used - but I don't think people named after living grandparents or great grandparents necessarily have a hard time forming their own identity. Children don't think of grandparents by their given names, they think of them as "Granny" or "Grandad." The same goes with parents, really - until a certain age you think of your parents as "Mom" and "Dad" and don't necessarily realize that they have another name.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I'm not sure if I entirely agree here. Perhaps if you're named after an uncle or share a name with a cousin (particularly one close in age) - which is why I don't think James, Louise, Caroline, or Charlotte should be used - but I don't think people named after living grandparents or great grandparents necessarily have a hard time forming their own identity. Children don't think of grandparents by their given names, they think of them as "Granny" or "Grandad." The same goes with parents, really - until a certain age you think of your parents as "Mom" and "Dad" and don't necessarily realize that they have another name.
I partly meant in the public eye. Kids at some point start reading newspapers, they watch the news and I can't imagine how irritating it must be if your name is Elizabeth or Diana and you're constantly compared to your grandmother or greatgrandmother. Especially when those papers and other outlets would keep saying how the other person did things better. Look at Kate and Diana. I know it would start frustating me at some point. With someone who's been dead longer (like Victoria) that risk is smaller.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think if the Cambridge baby is a girl then she's going to end up being compared to Elizabeth, Diana, and Catherine regardless of her actual name - although I do see your point in regards to the name thing. Personally, if it's a girl I would rather see the name be Mary, Matilda, or Victoria simply because of the time and distance and the fact that it would, at least in terms of name alone, result in less comparison.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

For most people, the names of a baby's grandparents are usually seen as terribly dated and unfashionable. It is the names of the parents' grandparents that are often chosen, and these are the names that are beginning to come back into fashion.

This is a bit of a generalisation, of course, but I doubt many young mothers would choose Carol for a daughter - it's a very 1950s name, and its time has not yet come round again. Diana is a different case, as I don't think it's ever been particularly in or out of fashion. It does not seem to have enjoyed a surge in popularity during the 1980s and 90s as one might have expected.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Serene Highness

my parents named me something they didn't think anyone else would have, and I have only met one other person with my name in my lifetime. It has made me feel very "different" and sometimes caused pain, but on the other hand, when I sign my first name, everyone knows it's me! A name like Cecelia would be good because it's not common and the Princess could sign her name and everyone would know who it was...not a grandma, not a mom, not a cousin, not an aunt...and yet she wouldn't have to spell it every time, as I do. There are other names we've discussed which are also somewhat rare but not so rare that people wouldn't pronounce it right. That's the ticket.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
A name like Cecelia would be good because it's not common and the Princess could sign her name and everyone would know who it was...not a grandma, not a mom, not a cousin, not an aunt...and yet she wouldn't have to spell it every time, as I do.
She would have to spell it, because I doubt that I am the only one who is more familiar with the spelling Cecilia.

Anyway I think "Princess Cecilia" sounds awful. Even if you don't have a lisp.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can't wait until July to discover the name and gender of this baby. It's going to be something so predictable I imagine, but that doesn't bother me as the baby is a future Monarch so predictable/traditional is acceptable.

I don't like it when children are named after living relatives. For example, there was three Prince Edward's in the Royal Family at the same time (Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and young Prince Edward, future Earl of Wessex). I know they were likely never confused or mixed up but I am not a fan. For this reason I don't see a Prince James because of James Middleton and Viscount Severn. The same for Louise and possibly Charlotte as William's youngest cousin is called Lady Charlotte Spencer, though I do LOVE the idea of Princess Charlotte. I sort of hope that is their choice, but I can't imagine it will be.

I imagine William and Catherine are finding this very hard as they have a lot of people to please with the name (Queen, his parents and the general public because if the name is something outrageous and trendy the public's opinions will be very loud and clear. We know the family want to get their public opinions more positive so anything to keep them in their good side.)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Courtier

Sometime people gave their kid a name because they like it, not necessarily after their living relative.

If they like the name James, they should go for it.