Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't someone here say that it was rumored that Diana wanted Eleanor if she and Charles had a girl? I think that would be a really good name. Ella or Ellie for short when she's young. I also love Alice.

Though I think it's more likely to be Victoria, Alexandra, or Charlotte if it's a girl.

At the this time in history, two other European princesses are named Eleanor. One is HRH Princess Eleanor of Belgium, youngest child of the future King Phillippe of the Belgians. The other is HRH Infanta Leonor of Spain, whose name translated to English is Eleanor. She currently is the heir to the heir of the Spanish throne.

Princess Diana - and she would be that in her own right which her tragic grandmother never was. Princess and eventually Queen Diana - wouldnt that be marvellous revenge from the murky waters of Althorp !!

He can name the baby anything he likes but>> Harry will get Nottingham Cottage. Apartment 1A will go to Peter and Autumn and their lovely daughters. Anmer Hall will go to Beatrice when she get married.

W&K can see if uncle Charlie will let them stay at Althorp.:lol::lol::lol:

William will find out much he 'adores' his inlaws once he moves in permanently.:lol::lol::lol:

What?
The Queen gave William 1A and she can take it away for any reason.

I wonder if they'll take into account the names of other monarchs of Europe. Sweden will have a Queen Victoria at the same time this child will be on the throne and Belgium will have a Queen Elisabeth. I don't think they're likely to repeat the names of anyone in their immediate or extended family and for that reason I'd rule out Alexandra. I still think the baby will be a boy, but if it's a girl, I still think Alice is a very likely possibility as the mother of Prince Philip, who has had multiple health problems in past months. My pick is still Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole. That would still leave her the option of Elizabeth as a regnal name, if they don't want a Queen Alice I. For a boy: George Philip Charles Michael.

:previous:

i dont think they give 2 hoots about what is happening in other royal families.
I doubt that they are even aware.

Lots of posters have written about not repeating names, but many families have tradition of repeating names and naming children for grandparents and parents is quite usual. and is happens in the BRf, otherwise we wouldnt have had 6 x George or 8 x Edward. And the names used by the Kents and Gloucesters are no bar to them being used by the Cambridges.

This is a family bound by tradition and William and Catherine are no different. It will be family names IMO.

My one wish is that they avoid the name Diana. not only for the burden the child would carry, but I want William to leave that name for Harry to use in the future. I will be really disappointed in him if he names the child after his mother ( and shocked if he does and its a boy ;))

My guess is that this baby is a girl and will be named Charlotte Michelle for her two grandfathers.

I wonder if they'll take into account the names of other monarchs of Europe. Sweden will have a Queen Victoria at the same time this child will be on the throne and Belgium will have a Queen Elisabeth. I don't think they're likely to repeat the names of anyone in their immediate or extended family and for that reason I'd rule out Alexandra. I still think the baby will be a boy, but if it's a girl, I still think Alice is a very likely possibility as the mother of Prince Philip, who has had multiple health problems in past months. My pick is still Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole. That would still leave her the option of Elizabeth as a regnal name, if they don't want a Queen Alice I. For a boy: George Philip Charles Michael.

This child is going to be 3rd in line to the British throne. Victoria of Sweden is 1st in line to her throne. Either she would have to have an extraordinary long life or else the Brits will have to start dropping like flies in order for their to reigns to really coincide much.

What's more likely to happen is that Baby Cambridge will rule around the same time as Estelle of Sweden, Elisabeth of Belgium, Joseph-Wenzel of Liechtenstein, Christian of Denmark, Ingrid of Norway, and Leonor of Spain.

Considering Victoria is only a few years older than William, it is more likely Estelle and Baby Cambridge will be rulers at the same time. The continental royals seem to have no issue with the same name or similar. We have Philippe and Felipe and Carl Philip (two of which are heirs). We have Guilliame and Wills (variation of the same name), Albert II of Belgium and Prince Albert II of Monaco. Other names have been reused this generation. The heirs this generation have not repeated (so far we have Leoonor, Estelle, Ingrid, Catharina-Amalia, Elisabeth, Christian, Joseph-Wenzel). Baby Cambridge will leave Luxembourg with the only heir without a child to follow (Gui and Steph will likely soon follow). Albert doesn't either I guess, but Caroline's children come after him,and we have baby Sacha.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many names?

I think it's pretty much a given that if the child is a boy, he will have four names. All of the male descendants of HM in the family have that number.

If Baby Cambridge is a girl do you think they'll go with three or four?

I thought that maybe three names would be given to the royal babies who didn't really have a shot at the throne, but at the time each of these ladies were born, none were thought to be real contenders for the throne. Yes, the Queen was third in line at her birth, but it was generally thought that David would marry and have legitimate issue, so in 1926 it wasn't forgone that she'd ascend the throne.

However, both the Princess Royal and Lady Louise were christened with four names, so "throne distance" isn't a factor. Do you think there is a reason (outside of preference of the parents) that three Mountbatten-Windsor girls have three names, and two have four names?

NOTE: I didn't include the children of the Princess Royal in this tally.

Still pulling for a Charlotte, despite the Spencer connection, as I just don't think it matters due to the literal and figurative distance between these potential 1st cousins-once-removed. Or, for a boy, Philip.

I hope Catherine is getting some good rest in these last days of pregnancy! It won't be long, now!

Last edited:
I think it's pretty much a given that if the child is a boy, he will have four names. All of the male descendants of HM in the family have that number.

If Baby Cambridge is a girl do you think they'll go with three or four?

I thought that maybe three names would be given to the royal babies who didn't really have a shot at the throne, but at the time each of these ladies were born, none were thought to be real contenders for the throne. Yes, the Queen was third in line at her birth, but it was generally thought that David would marry and have legitimate issue, so in 1926 it wasn't forgone that she'd ascend the throne.

However, both the Princess Royal and Lady Louise were christened with four names, so "throne distance" isn't a factor. Do you think there is a reason (outside of preference of the parents) that three Moundbatten-Windsor girls have three names, and two have four names?

NOTE: I didn't include the children of the Princess Royal in this tally.

Still pulling for a Charlotte, despite the Spencer connection, as I just don't think it matters due to the literal and figurative distance between these potential 1st cousins-once-removed. Or, for a boy, Philip.

I hope Catherine is getting some good rest in these last days of pregnancy! It won't be long, now!

Maybe one of the reasons for only 3 names for the girls sometimes is that the number of syllables made the girls names a bit of a mouthful.The traditional girls names tend to have more syllables...the more names it gets a bit lengthy. For example:

HM - Elizabeth Alexandra Mary = 10 syllables
POW- Charles Philip Arthur George = 6 syllables

Other girls of note ....only Anne and Louise have 4 names
Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise = 9 syllables
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary = 9 syllables
Eugenia Victoria Helena = 10 syllables
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary = 10 syllables

Charles Philip Arthur George 6
William Arthur Philip Louis 8
Henry Charles Albert David 7
Andrew Albert Christian Edward 8
Edward Antony Richard Louis 9

Just an observation

I found the name of my common ancestor with the High Stewards of Scotland: Eschyna de Molle. Eschyna is WAY too archaic a name for baby Cambridge. She had a daughter, my ancestor Isabelle, with her first husband, Robert de Croc (weird name) and then married the first High Steward, Walter Fitzallen, and had children with him. Records vary WIDELY on how many children, that is why it was hard to find her daughter Isabelle, my ancestor.

Thanks, MichelleQ2. Syllable count could very well be a reason. I still hope they go with four names, though. Royal couples don't seem to have many children these days so the opportunities for adding fresh names are few. Plus, I think the heir (to the heir of the heir to the throne... that's a mouthful!) should have a little "extra." He/She will become HM someday, after all!

Girl:
Alexandra Frances Elizabeth Mary
Charlotte Elizabeth Frances Mary

Boy:
George Francis Edward Louis
Charles Francis Arthur Edward

Agreed Hermione! Alexandra or Alexander. Or Charlotte, and I too do not shun the name Diana.

Princess of Cambridge=Catherine Elizabeth Alexandra Francis
Prince of Cambridge=Arthur Phillip Charles Francis

Diana and Michael Middleton's middle name is Francis.

I think a reminder of these days when this child is Monarch would be nice, so I honor it's great grandparents in both names and in a way that is not to explosive I honor Diana with Francis but with a nod to Michael as well.

To honor the Queen Mother I think it would be nice when baby Catherine is Queen to call her mother Queen Catherine, Queen Mother and I say in the same way she could be King Mother when Arthur is King.

I still like the above names and the reason I gave. As of late I have heard that Alexandra is a top favorite. So here is my option with Alexandra.
Alexandra Elizabeth Catherine Francis.

When do you think they'll announce the name? Will it take a week as with William? Or will it be right after the birth?

I hope it's right after the birth. They've had an awfully long time to decide...

When do you think they'll announce the name? Will it take a week as with William? Or will it be right after the birth?

I hope it's right after the birth. They've had an awfully long time to decide...

Charles and Diana had about the same amount of time as well, yet they still took a week.

Charles and Diana had about the same amount of time as well, yet they still took a week.

I'm not sure which wait will be more agonizing, the wait for the baby, or the wait for his or her name!

I would love it if William says the name when he does the post baby interview that all the new dads give. That would be a nice change and more informal then just putting it on the gate. I hope we get the name sooner rather then later.

I won't think it will be the same day as birth. They may need to have a final name discussion once the baby is here and they know the sex and holding it for the 1st time. I would think that they would tell their family the name first. Also the name announcement usually comes with godparents being named. These people would need to be asked if they didn't ask beforehand.

Plus I think WK would like to keep their baby for themselves for a bit before sharing its name with the rest of the world. It took 3 weeks for Lupo's name so baby c will take a couple of days.

Here are all the name combinations I've thought of so far:

Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline
Helena Catherine Alberta Elizabeth
Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria
Alice Elizabeth Catherine Rose
Wilhelmina Elizabeth Catherine Diana (I think this one is less likely, but you never know)
Sophia Charlotte Adelaide Elizabeth
Charlotte Rose Amelia Mary
Victoria Alexandrina Charlotte Mary
George William Charles Henry (most likely boys name combination IMO)
George Albert Philip Charles
Arthur Henry Richard George
George William Thomas Louis
George Thomas Louis Charles
Arthur William Frederick Louis

Out of the list, I'd say the most likely are: Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline, Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria, George William Charles Henry and George Albert Philip Charles.

Another combination: Elizabeth Victoria Mary Rose

I think it would be nice if the names of the first Duke of Cambridge's children featured in Baby Cambridge's names. How about: Elizabeth Adelaide Mary Augusta? (Adelaide and Mary after Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge and Augusta after Princess Augusta of Cambridge).

Last edited:
I'm not sure which wait will be more agonizing, the wait for the baby, or the wait for his or her name!

It could be worse.... the BRF could be like the Danes and wait until the baby is christened to release the name! It's a looooooong 3 months or so of waiting. :)

I think a little Princess Caroline would be adorable!

Caroline Elizabeth Frances Victoria

Here are all the name combinations I've thought of so far:

Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline
Helena Catherine Alberta Elizabeth
Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria
Alice Elizabeth Catherine Rose
Wilhelmina Elizabeth Catherine Diana (I think this one is less likely, but you never know)
Sophia Charlotte Adelaide Elizabeth
Charlotte Rose Amelia Mary
Victoria Alexandrina Charlotte Mary
George William Charles Henry (most likely boys name combination IMO)
George Albert Philip Charles
Arthur Henry Richard George
George William Thomas Louis
George Thomas Louis Charles
Arthur William Frederick Louis

Out of the list, I'd say the most likely are: Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline, Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria, George William Charles Henry and George Albert Philip Charles.

Another combination: Elizabeth Victoria Mary Rose

I think it would be nice if the names of the first Duke of Cambridge's children featured in Baby Cambridge's names. How about: Elizabeth Adelaide Mary Augusta? (Adelaide and Mary after Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge and Augusta after Princess Augusta of Cambridge).

Some good choices, HereditaryPrincess!

I don't think it's a given that Baby Cambridge has a distinctly Spencer/Middleton name. (though it's likely)

Here are some that I like. I like Helena in particular.

Anne Victoria Frances Elizabeth
Elizabeth Philippa Frances Mary (nice nod to both great-grandparents and aunt)
Elizabeth Catherine Beatrice Rose
Margaret Elizabeth Catherine Frances
Mary Alexandra Catherine Elizabeth (could go by "Mary Alexandra")
Mary Alice Elizabeth Carole
Patricia Elizabeth Mary Louise (kind of a longshot but it's been used in the family before)

Charles Henry Philip George
Edward William Henry Michael
Henry Philip Michael Charles
Richard Albert Philip David

What great-grandparent is Mary honoring? Queen Mary was Elizabeth's great-grandmother. This baby's great grandparents are Elizabeth, Philip, Frances, John, Peter, Valerie, Ronald and Dorthy.

Patricia was a middle name. She was Victoria Patricia Helena Elizabeth, and got the name Patricia as she was born on St. Patrick's day.

Frances/Diana, Elizabeth and likely Carole I am 99% sure will be included. Same with Philip, Michael/Francis and Charles for a boy.

Due to Charlotte Spencer, I don't see Charlotte. They will want their daughter to have her own identity. Same for a prince Henry, Harry as a godfather and maybe a long shot middle name, but not first IMO.

What great-grandparent is Mary honoring? Queen Mary was Elizabeth's great-grandmother. This baby's great grandparents are Elizabeth, Philip, Frances, John, Peter, Valerie, Ronald and Dorthy.

Patricia was a middle name. She was Victoria Patricia Helena Elizabeth, and got the name Patricia as she was born on St. Patrick's day.

Frances/Diana, Elizabeth and likely Carole I am 99% sure will be included. Same with Philip, Michael/Francis and Charles for a boy.

Due to Charlotte Spencer, I don't see Charlotte. They will want their daughter to have her own identity. Same for a prince Henry, Harry as a godfather and maybe a long shot middle name, but not first IMO.

Queen Elizabeth middle name is Mary: Elizabeth Alexandria Mary.

Last edited:
I think a little Princess Caroline would be adorable!

Caroline Elizabeth Frances Victoria

As the mother of a Caroline Elizabeth, I quite agree! It is adorable. My daughter was born on 7/11...hmmmm....
:flowers:
S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom