The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Like the Danish tradition of Christian and Frederik, needs to be scrapped ASAP because that's boring.

Do you really think tradition has to be scrapped just because you think it's boring?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Not overly royal? Nowhere near it. Is there any room for 'new traditions' in royalty anymore? I'm not 100% monarchies do still exist because of the so called traditions they still have. Above all it has to be a name they like and makes sense. Some suggestions on here have been utterly ludicrous.

Obviously the Frederik/ Christian thing isn't going to be scrapped because some woman from Yorkshire think's it's boring. If I had that power names are not the first thing I'd change.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Nobility

Estelle is the name of a member of the Swedish royal family, by marriage. So yes there is a royal connection there. And a family connection. How something like Isolde is not as ludicrous as Melissa or some other names out there, I fail to see.

It's not just about a name that they like. And makes sense? To whom? The queen has some veto power. Why we have a Prince William and not a Prince John. Why there was a Princess Margaret and not a Princes Rose. They will choose a name they like, but the chances that name will not come from one or the other's family, is pretty slim to none.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The veto power thing is hilarious! I have no clue why we have a Prince William and Princess Margaret? Do you?
Isolde is a beautiful name and rings well with Queen Isolde. Melissa is an awful name IMO.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought that Princess Mrgaret's name was an anglicised version of Marguerite. 3rd name of the QM. I know that she was going to be called Ann Margaret but it was vetoed by the King (thank goodness!) but he approved an alternative which was Margaret Rose.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Aristocracy

I should think the Queen does have quite a strong influence. I'd be surprised if they went ahead with a name if she didn't give it her approval. Do you think she would be happy with Alexandra?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The veto power thing is hilarious! I have no clue why we have a Prince William and Princess Margaret? Do you?
Isolde is a beautiful name and rings well with Queen Isolde. Melissa is an awful name IMO.
The story for William goes that Diana wanted to name him John, for her father, but it was vetoed because of the history of the name in the British and Scottish monarchies.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Melissa is a lovely and popular name for many. Isolde is the name of an Irish princess who ran off with her husband's nephew. Why do we have a Princess Margrat and a Prince William? Because they are traditional royal names, and for those close to the throne, traditional names are chosen. Margrat, as a name of both queens of England and Scotland, as well as other British royals. William as the name of four English kings, and numerous others. Just like Bea, Eugenie, James and Louise. Peter and Zara may be first born grandchildren, but they were already fifth and sixth from the throne on birth, and would have continued to fall with the birth of any cousins.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm imagining the DM headlines if the baby is called Caroline - I could see William going for that. A real gesture to all the snobs (inverted and otherwise) plus being a nice enough name.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Nobility

I am not sure why Caroline would be considered a snobbish gesture. IMO it would honor both Charles and Carole, so it does stand a chance IMO.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I am not sure why Caroline would be considered a snobbish gesture. IMO it would honor both Charles and Carole, so it does stand a chance IMO.
Indeed. It's also been the name of Queen Consort, so is certainly regal enough. I don't understand the remark about snobbery either.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a reference to the fact that many people look down on the Middleton's (not right in my opinion) including a raft of people who are middle/working class themselves who dont like to see someone do well. Naming a future queen after Carole Middleton would be a gesture against such people.

Also it would be honoring Charles and I know that.

I like Carole and I think it would be a great thing to do, but I dont suppose it will happen.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

That might apply if the name chosen was Carole, but the name under discussion is Caroline which occurs in the BRF.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
That might apply if the name chosen was Carole, but the name under discussion is Caroline which occurs in the BRF.

I am aware of that as I just raised the point.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
That would be Caroline of Brunswick, married to George IV. From what I've read, it was not the happiest of unions.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That would be Caroline of Brunswick, married to George IV. From what I've read, it was not the happiest of unions.
True, but there is also Caroline of Ansbach, consort of George II.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I can see it being very traditional english name

Boy - George or Philip or Arthur or David
Girl - Victoria or Elizabeth or Mary or Alexandra

If is a girl im entirely convinced Elizabeth will feature whether as first or a middle name - not only to honour the Queen but also the QM and not forgetting its Kate's middle name as well. If they do decide to honour Diana i can see them using Francis instead (but i could see Harry's child bearing his late mothers name more then William's)

Godparent suggestions
I am thinking very close friends of the couple rather than prominet foreign royals
So my guesses include (obviously not all these people for one child) are Hugh or Rose Van Custem, Tom Inskip, Jamie Murray Wells, Mark Dyer, Tiggy Pettifer, Emilia d'Erlanger, Thomas van Straubenzee, a Middleton cousin or another close friend of Kates. And maybe someone like Serena Linley or Autumn or Peter Phillips. A Spencer cousin - one of Sarah or Jane's children

Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

The only wee problem I see with Caroline as a name is that there is already a well-publicized Princess Caroline of Monaco. But that would be a problem mainly for the press, having to further identify which Caroline they were reporting on. Otherwise, no problem. Cecelia Caroline would be nice. She might be referred to as CeCe, but that's kind of cute for a little gal or teen, and of course she would have the whole name in use, not a nick-name, when she became queen.
Cecelia Caroline Charlotte Rose (the Rose being for princess Diana). That's a very fancy name which would look good inside flourishes on invitations, with roses and nosegays all over. Very "period". Why not?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Courtier

If they press doesn't have a problem with all the famous Kate's out there, they will have no problem with Caroline
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There is Caroline of Ansbach, the wife of George II. She was a widely mourned queen, by both Jaccobite and Protestant citizens. Her appeal, her gentle attitude and pure life, helped to turn around a bad public opinion of her husband and father in law.

Her daughter Princess Caroline was known to be fair, gentle and well loved by her family. She died single at 44, having been in love with a married man. She was considered the peace keeper of her family.

George III's daughter was Caroline Mathilda, queen of Denmark. Though she was imprisoned for her affair and known to plot against her husband, she was known for her charity work and care of children, during her later life in Celle.

Caroline, wife of George IV was definitely an unhappy marriage and she spent much of her life in exile.

Caroline though is also the Latin form of Charles.