Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me, too, HRHHermoine. I know about all of the comparison arguments and all, but let's be honest: this kid was going to have comparisons to its grandmother no matter the name or resemblance. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I would love to see Diana's granddaughter carry her name.

Yup, I just don't think they'll use the name for a girl who's the heiress presumptive. Much more likely to use the name for a second or third child, in my opinion.

I don't think the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name give Diana as a first name for any of their children.

Maybe, if Prince Harry have a daughter, he'll name her Diana, but I also don't think that will happen.

Diana is quite appropriate, I think. It would be a problem for Charles, though, perhaps?
Memories that hurt? A slight change, to Diane, might subtly mute the memories for Charles. Diane is French as opposed to Diana, Roman. Perhaps they have a list and are waiting to see baby before giving the name, since sometimes the baby's looks suggest a certain type of name. What if she (if it's she) is a redhead like Harry? Does she have to be Rosie Diane, then? They are probably not expecting a redhead but I think the genetic patterns allow it to break through. A pale slip of a girl with red-blonde hair, wearing art nouveau clothes when she is the age of Lady Louise, with a child's emerald ring...just one possible version of Baby Cambridge.

Diana is quite appropriate, I think. It would be a problem for Charles, though, perhaps?
Memories that hurt? A slight change, to Diane, might subtly mute the memories for Charles. Diane is French as opposed to Diana, Roman. Perhaps they have a list and are waiting to see baby before giving the name, since sometimes the baby's looks suggest a certain type of name. What if she (if it's she) is a redhead like Harry? Does she have to be Rosie Diane, then? They are probably not expecting a redhead but I think the genetic patterns allow it to break through. A pale slip of a girl with red-blonde hair, wearing art nouveau clothes when she is the age of Lady Louise, with a child's emerald ring...just one possible version of Baby Cambridge.

I would rather prefer to see a serious and regal little Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge, just like Her Majesty the Queen, when she was Princess Elizabeth of York.

I don't think that they should use Diana as a first name if it is a girl, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they did. Any daughter of William or Harry is going to invite comparisons to their beloved mother, but the media will be forced to move on eventually, especially as the child grows up and establishes her own identity.

The name 'Diane' makes me think of a middle-aged lady, who is working as a receptionist, and not a princess. Also, I have a feeling the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will dress their children in a classy style. I love how Sophie dresses Lady Louise, and Viscount Severn, so I hope Catherine will follow suit.

I would rather prefer to see a serious and regal little Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge, just like Her Majesty the Queen, when she was Princess Elizabeth of York.

I'm with you. From what I've read about Her Majesty as a child, she had a great imagination, and was mature and wise beyond her years. I'd love to see a daughter like that for William and Catherine (and if they named her 'Elizabeth' it would be a huge plus, because that's my absolute favorite name for a girl).

let me weigh in onthis. i like genevieve or perhaps guinevere as a first name

I quite like Genevieve and Guinevere was my Grandmothers name. I do love Elizabeth it has such a rich history and would be a wonderful tribute to his Grandmother and Great Grandmother with Diana as a middle name. I hate Liz though so I would they would find another pet name I've always loved Lilabet so maybe Lily for short? I think the baby could be a little brunette although blonde is very strong on Williams side. Red heads have become more common these days so it wouldn't be surprising if have a little red head. LOL We will know soon enough hopefully someone I spoke to today thinks she will have her by next week. It's funny I live in a small country town in Australia and people talking about it like it's a family member. LOL Guess the republicans are going to have to try harder. Little baby Cambridge already has lot's of attention and he/she isn't even here yet.

I think what NGalitzine was saying is that having boys would remove the urgency to change the laws -- the laws would get changed eventually. But having a firstborn boy removes the need to rush any changes through since the direct line of succession would be all-male for at least two to three more decades and the law wouldn't be needed to prevent the possibility of a firstborn daughter being displaced as heir over a younger son.

I get that it's a symbolic issue, though. The law would be changed, but there'd be no urgency for it. I'm not rooting for one sex or the other, personally. :p

What urgency? It is being done retroactively, for any descendents of Chuck. If the law takes 10 years to pass, and will and kate have a girl now and five sons to follow, she'd still displace her brothers as heir eventually.

Why should it matter if it is needed? This is the twenty first century, and it should just be done. Well past time these sexist laws have been changed

My remark was about the Parliaments taking the time to do it correctly. In Canada the rush to push the legislation through Parliament without debate and without consulting the provinces may very well result in a constitutional challenge being fought in the courts. Sound reasoning and consideration could have avoided controversy and future problems.
No one is seriously arguing that the change should not be made, merely that it be done right.

Last edited:
ok. one last idea. for a boy, how about spencer?

I think that would be nice for a normal family, but I think it's out of the question for a future monarch.

I'd consider it unlikely even for a second son, but definitely out of the question for this first baby.

HM King Spencer !! No, I do not think that one is in the running at all,

My absolute final guesses;
Boy: Philip Charles Edward George
Girl: Charlotte Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth

My absolute final guesses;
Boy: Philip Charles Edward George
Girl: Charlotte Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth

HRH Prince William's maternal uncle, the Earl Spencer, named his youngest daughter Charlotte Diana. I am doubtful for HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge.

HRH Prince William's maternal uncle, the Earl Spencer, named his youngest daughter Charlotte Diana. I am doubtful for HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge.

many peoples don't know who Earl Spencer is or who his daughter name is and I think most don't care at all. If Will and Catherine names there child Charlotte most won't put two and two together and we are talking about Royal Family not William other side of the family, also nothing wrong with naming a child the same name as someone else family if they are older and if they are on a different side of the family. It doesn't matter and wouldn't affect anything.

many peoples don't know who Earl Spencer is or who his daughter name is and I think most don't care at all. If Will and Catherine names there child Charlotte most won't put two and two together and we are talking about Royal Family not William other side of the family, also nothing wrong with naming a child the same name as someone else family if they are older and if they are on a different side of the family. It doesn't matter and wouldn't affect anything.

I understand the logic in regards to the general public not knowing who Charlotte Spencer is and therefore not creating confusion on a public level there.

However, Charlotte Diane Spencer was born July 30, 2012. That makes her almost exactly (or exactly, depending on the day) a year older than Baby Cambridge. Having two Charlottes that close in age in the family can be confusing on a family sense, and in my opinion is a bit of a dick move on the part of William and Catherine. Yes, at one point it would have been common for cousins to have the same (or similar) names, but it isn't so common now, and it would be unfair to Charlotte Spencer to have her name taken to be used by her slightly younger and more famous cousin.

I don't get the sense that the families are that involved anymore. If you hardly see your cousin does it matter that you have the same first name?

Philip would be such a lovely name for a boy and I'm sure that HM would agree with that.
Yes, that would be awesome! King Philip II! Not that the first one set a good example, though. You know, with sending the Armada against his former kingdom and stuff :whistling: But still, it would be great to see a Philip II of the United Kingdom.

I don't think either of the names are unlikely, nor do I think that names like Alexander, David or Margaret are unlikely choices either (and I, like you, would be stoked if they chose a name from the list of Scottish monarch). I don't understand why those names are less workable than names like Victoria or George?
I believe Victoria and George are more workable due to political issues. Neither of the names was used more often in one kingdom than in the other. Naming the baby after (a) Scottish monarch(s) might be seen as a nod to the Scottish independence movement. On the other hand, it might also be interpreted as linking the monarchy closer with Scotland. As a history buff (especially one who is likely to see this child ascend), I will be thrilled if the baby is indeed named after a Scottish monarch. Being aware of how the media and politicians search for hidden meanings in everything, however, it seems likely to me that they will opt for a "safer" option - at least when it comes to the firstborn.

It was just a fancy when I described Baby Cambridge wearing art nouveau clothing when she got to be Lady Louise's age. Nothing I really see in the future for Baby Cambridge.
She is far more likely (if it's a girl) to be dressed in the sturdy conservative fashions like her cousin Louise.
I am not a big fan of the names Diana and Diane, as I prefer the medieval names we have been discussing. I think Elizabeth has been given a lot of use lately, and I would prefer to see it retired or a while, that's all. Of course, Elizabeth is an excellent Biblical name, which cannot be faulted as a fine royal name.

Guess I'd better settle on name guesses before baby C shows up ;)

girl - Sophia Anne Caroline (or perhaps Charlotte instead of Caroline - both sound nice to me as a third name)
Sophia after the Electress who was the basis for the current royals being so and because I think it's elegant and pretty.

boy - Arthur Francis Phillip George

Princess Diana - and she would be that in her own right which her tragic grandmother never was. Princess and eventually Queen Diana - wouldnt that be marvellous revenge from the murky waters of Althorp !!

Princess Diana - and she would be that in her own right which her tragic grandmother never was. Princess and eventually Queen Diana - wouldnt that be marvellous revenge from the murky waters of Althorp !!

true, but too politically charged!

I would hope William is neither that stupid nor willful,

I have a feeling it's going to be traditional name under the media's radar, just like how the Swedes surprised us with Estelle. My (random) guesses
Boy: Alexander. Okay, this one is not completely under the radar, but William was named after the Duke of Gloucester's late brother, so maybe they'll continue that tradition and choose the same name as the Duke's son. Also, a good way to honor the Kent cousins, aka Princess Alexandra of Kent.

Girl: Matilda. Very traditional name during the Norman era, and I like to see a revival. The Empress Matilda was a designated heiress who was robbed of her throne, so it would be very symbolic with the passage of the new succession rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom