The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

There is a name I really like, but I'm not aware of its use within the BRF: Cecelia/Cecilia. While talking to some people online, they mentioned it as not classic British. I still like it and wish they would use with a second daughter. (I prefer Alexandra for the first one).

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Serene Highness

Francis is Michael Middleton's middle name. I don't think it would be used as a first name for baby c. They don't have to use a name of a previous monarch. They could name it Phillip or Michael.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Thankfully all this speculation will be over in July, and thank God the Brits are not like the Danes and don't withhold the name until the christening.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
There is a name I really like, but I'm not aware of its use within the BRF: Cecelia/Cecilia. While talking to some people online, they mentioned it as not classic British. I still like it and wish they would use with a second daughter. (I prefer Alexandra for the first one).
If I remember right, one of Phillip's sisters was named Cecilia . I think she was the one that died in a plane crash with her family.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Francis is Michael Middleton's middle name. I don't think it would be used as a first name for baby c. They don't have to use a name of a previous monarch. They could name it Phillip or Michael.
I know; also its Diana's 2nd name after her mother. But I was surprised to find it twice in the family tree of HMQM. I dont expect them to use it at all.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
I believe Cecelia was the name of the Queen Mother's mother... It's a lovely name.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If I remember right, one of Phillip's sisters was named Cecilia . I think she was the one that died in a plane crash with her family.
That's right; Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark was Prince Philip's sister. She was married to Hereditary Grand Duke Georg Donatus of Hesse.

She died in plane crash in 1937 along with her husband and three children. Her fourth child, Princess Johanna, was adopted by Prince Ludwig (Georg Donatus' brother) and his wife, Princess Margaret. Tragically, she died two years later fro meningitis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
I believe Cecelia was the name of the Queen Mother's mother... It's a lovely name.
The name of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon's mother was indeed Cecilia Nina Cavendish-Bentinck.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, I like Cecilia. It has family history and it hasn't been over used. Great suggestion.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Oh, I like Cecilia. It has family history and it hasn't been over used. Great suggestion.
And Simon and Garfunklel could sing at the christening.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Majesty

Cecilia/Cecile (sp) was the name of one of Philip's sisters, the one who was killed in the plane crash, and I am sure if either Andrew or Edward had been a girl it would have appeared as one of their names.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
That's right; Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark was Prince Philip's sister. She was married to Hereditary Grand Duke Georg Donatus of Hesse.

She died in plane crash in 1937 along with her husband and three children. Her fourth child, Princess Johanna, was adopted by Prince Ludwig (Georg Donatus' brother) and his wife, Princess Margaret. Tragically, she died two years later fro meningitis.

The name of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon's mother was indeed Cecilia Nina Cavendish-Bentinck.
Wow, so it does have links to William's family history. Maybe W&K will take the suggestion. (a girl can dream)

When it comes to boys, I can only think of either George or Arthur (yes, I'm aware of the relatives with the same names), but those are the only two boys names I'm fond of.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Cecilia Alexandra Elizabeth has a lovely ring to it. It would definitely be something different, but still have a link to the family. 'Alexandra' would be a nice choice for a first name as well. I don't think there has ever been a Queen Alexandra besides the Queen Consort of Edward VII.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
ikr?!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Serene Highness

I like Cecilia, too. It's only problem is trying to pronounce it with "Princess". You know, getting tongue tied with the "s"s. It is an old Roman name, and St. Cecelia is the patroness of Music. That is why some musical organizations take the name of Cecelia. You could make it pronouncable by saying something like Anne-Cecelia. I guess it's the Swedes, or someone, who say "Prinzen" rather than "Princess", so Prinzen Cecelia would be easier to pronounce. However, no Prinzens in England.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree about the tongue tying with the sibilant "s," but it is a very pretty name.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Serene Highness

The only way you can make the sibilants work is to pause slightly between Princess and Cecelia. That would bring us back to a slower more gracious time? One would eventually drop the final sibilant in Princess and it would run together and sound well, Prince-Cecelia. So it could work well.

For some reason I am not as fond of Alexandra. And there are quite a few Alexandras around, in Luxembourg, in Norway--you remember Ingrid-Alexandra. And there is, on the male side, Willem-Alexander. I think the list goes on but I can't remember them all. There is of course Princess Alexandra of Kent, but she is of a much older generation. And Alexander, the son of the Gloucesters. And Xan, the son of Alexander of the Gloucesters (forget his title, Earl of Ulster?)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Royal Highness

I like Alice Cecilia.

Alice Cecilia Elizabeth Mary.

I suppose Princess Alice Cecilia sounds really tongue twisty, but I like it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Gentry

Cecilia Adelaide Elizabeth Mary

I like the tie of Cecilia to the Queen Mother. She was, of course, Scottish and William and Catherine could honor their Scottish meeting place.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

I like the tie of Cecilia to the Queen Mother. She was, of course, Scottish and William and Catherine could honor their Scottish meeting place.
I'm really starting to like Cecilia a lot. Princess Cecilia of Cambridge does have such a nice ring to it. Its got meaning behind it yet its still a name that for the most part would be unique to a baby daughter.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Ooh, I like that. Adelaide is another one of the names I really like that's a less obvious choice but would be really nice and does have enough history and tradition behind it to be acceptable as part of the name of a future monarch.

I like Amelia too. I just enjoy discussing possibilities that aren't dominated by Elizabeth, Victoria, and Mary.