The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
No, she's likely thinking of Adolph Hitler. And she's correct, there is no chance of a royal baby being named Adolphus.
Thank you :) as if this wasn't the most obvious of reasons.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleboo View Post
So people will think William named his son after Adolf Hitler and not his great-great-great-great grandfather, the 1st Duke of Cambridge?
Yes. Because nobody knows who the 1st Duke of Cambridge is, everyone knows who Adolf Hitler is.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Serene Highness

Baby Cambridge is going to have a traditional British name. I also bet her/his first name won't be the same as some one in the immediate royal family (queen and below- not the Kent,etc).

I also think we will see Kate's influence with naming and godparents. The royal wedding all the attendants were from William's circle. I think we see more of Kate friends in the godparents Emilia Jardine Patterson, Alicia Fox Pitt perhaps. After the sickness during the early months and pushing the baby out, Kate holds some cards. If mama Kate wants a particular name, she is going to get it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
So people will think William named his son after Adolf Hitler and not his great-great-great-great grandfather, the 1st Duke of Cambridge?
I don't understand how the 1st (2nd?) Duke of Cambridge would be the baby's great-great-great-great grandfather ... ?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Nobility

Thanks. I'd just never heard of the Duke.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes.

And that name - or any version of it - would be truly offensive to those with any sensitivity and doubly so to those Brits over the age of 60. Britain's losses in that war were incalculable.

William wouldn't even entertain the thought of naming his son Adolphus.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Nobility

It doesn't change the fact that you like the name and it's connection to William's history. It's just not a good name suggestion for the royal baby.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Majesty

The name Adolphus would be out for a very important reason not related to the war and those over 70 who lived through it and that is that since 1918 the BRF has very strongly tried to distance itself from the German origins of the Hanoverians (whose claim to the throne came from their descent from James I and VI). Adolphus is very much a German name while names like Peter, Philip, James, George etc also have a strong English/British feel about them.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree.......besides the nickname "Dolly" is not something any boy would want to carry.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

OK, Iluvbertie, name the prince after Scots kings, Welsh royals, even Irish saints, like Robert, Owen, Aiden. Even James is pre-Hanoverian, even though the Hanovers descended from james I and VI in a roundabout way. "William" is very Germanic and goes right straight to Kaiser Wilhelm, although the spelling is blessedly changed. I think Charles did name Prince William after his admired cousin William of Gloucester, and the Gloucesters have a lot of non-Hanoverian bloodlines on their Scots' side, Princess' Alice's side.
Robert Owen Aiden Charles. That sounds nice, and only slightly Hanoverian around the edges. I like that. I vote for that one. Won't do any good but I like it.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The name Adolphus would be out for a very important reason not related to the war and those over 70 who lived through it and that is that since 1918 the BRF has very strongly tried to distance itself from the German origins of the Hanoverians (whose claim to the throne came from their descent from James I and VI). Adolphus is very much a German name while names like Peter, Philip, James, George etc also have a strong English/British feel about them.
George, in terms of Royals, can be seen as German - it wasn't until the German Hanovers came to the throne that it appeared in the monarch's name. While it's been used since then, it's been a given name less frequently.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
OK, Iluvbertie, name the prince after Scots kings, Welsh royals, even Irish saints, like Robert, Owen, Aiden. Even James is pre-Hanoverian, even though the Hanovers descended from james I and VI in a roundabout way. "William" is very Germanic and goes right straight to Kaiser Wilhelm, although the spelling is blessedly changed. I think Charles did name Prince William after his admired cousin William of Gloucester, and the Gloucesters have a lot of non-Hanoverian bloodlines on their Scots' side, Princess' Alice's side.
Robert Owen Aiden Charles. That sounds nice, and only slightly Hanoverian around the edges. I like that. I vote for that one. Won't do any good but I like it.
How does William go straight to the German Kaiser? William has played deeply in both Scottish and English history, and is the name of the first two post-Conquest monarchs and one of the last pre-union monarchs.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
George, in terms of Royals, can be seen as German - it wasn't until the German Hanovers came to the throne that it appeared in the monarch's name. While it's been used since then, it's been a given name less frequently.

Name the patron saint of England and then tell me that George is only a German name. Just because the royals weren't using it doesn't make in non-English.

George is one of Charles' names and has even been suggested that it will be his regnal name.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
OK, Iluvbertie, name the prince after Scots kings, Welsh royals, even Irish saints, like Robert, Owen, Aiden. Even James is pre-Hanoverian, even though the Hanovers descended from james I and VI in a roundabout way.
I would never describe direct descent as 'roundabout'.

James I and VI - Elizabeth - Sophie - George I.

That is like saying that Savannah and Isla are descended from QEII in a roundabout way - they are her direct descendants in the same was George I from James I and VI.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

Alice Elizabeth Catherine Diana or
Alice Elizabeth Catherine Frances

Albert William Henry Michael
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Serene Highness

As a "stepgrandmother" my grandchildren call me grandma right along with my husband's ex-wife.There is no differential between them and my blood grandchildren. They are simply my grandchildren! I hope the same for the Cambridge children, a child can never have enough love!!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Courtier

In our family the children are taught to say Grandma????. With step families in the picture, it keeps it straight for the children. One grandma was called grandma starchy. That was her dogs name, but the kids always know who is being discussed. No confusion.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Name the patron saint of England and then tell me that George is only a German name. Just because the royals weren't using it doesn't make in non-English.

George is one of Charles' names and has even been suggested that it will be his regnal name.
I didn't mean to imply that it's a non-English name - it is an English name. I simply meant that (regardless of validity) in terms of the BRF it's one that's associated with the German kings.

The kings with names that start with Æ are associated with the Wessex kings, the kings with "Cnut" in their name are associated with the Danes, the Williams are associated with the Normans, the Henrys, Edwards, and Richards are all viewed as English kings, while the Jameses and Charleses are the Scottish kings, and the Georges are the Germans. It's not entirely accurate, but it's the perception. And if you look at the use of George as a given name prior to the Hanovers, during the Hanovers, and then post World War I, within the royals it plays a bigger role during the Hanover pre-war period. Since the War, it's been used as a regnal name once (but under special circumstances), and as a given name I believe twice, and neither time by someone who was in the direct line of succession.

If Charles uses George as a regnal name I think it would be a mistake - both because it changes his identity to the people and because it hardens back to a Germanic royal family. Elizabeth, Charles, William, and Henry all show a connection with the pre-German, British royals. I'd rather see this child if it's a boy be another Charles, Richard, William, or even Stephen than a George, just like I'd rather another Elizabeth, Mary, or Matilda than Victoria if it's a girl.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Nobility

What about Arthur as part of the name? Wasn't that Charles' first choice for William's name?

The Queen's father was Albert Frederick Arthur George, so it wouldn't surprise me to see some of those names recycled.

I've always liked the Queen Mum's names: Elizabeth Angela Marguerite. Working Angela into a girl's name would be interesting.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
What about Arthur as part of the name? Wasn't that Charles' first choice for William's name?

The Queen's father was Albert Frederick Arthur George, so it wouldn't surprise me to see some of those names recycled.

I've always liked the Queen Mum's names: Elizabeth Angela Marguerite. Working Angela into a girl's name would be interesting.
Was William close to the Queen Mother? I have the feeling the name will reflect those he feels particularly close to.