The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness

I doubt Camilla will be called 'grandmother' or 'granny' by Charles' future grandchildren, but I do believe she will have some other name to go by (maybe some variation of grandmother, Nana maybe?)

I do think that William and Harry consider Camilla family. Obviously they'll never think of her as somekind of second mum - and they're certainly not meant to, but she has been in Charles' life for so long now, and I think that both boys have got a nice relationship to her by now.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why wouldn't William and Harry have a good relationship with Camilla? I understand her role in the breakdown of their parents' marriage, but Diana was screwing around too, and if she'd lived and re-married, would there be any question as to whether they'd have a good relationship with their step-father? It takes two to tango, and it would incredibly childish for them now, fully grown men that they are, to act like their stepmother is no better than a plague they have to tolerate.

So yes, I can see Camilla acting as a grandmother for the Cambridge baby when the time comes, because she will be the step-grandmother after all, and her and Catherine seem to get along well.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

The Duchess of Cornwall was fully accepted as part of the British Royal Family. And the Queen showed this last year, when accompanied Her Majesty to the Diamond Jubilee Service at St. Paul's Cathedral.

In my opinion, it's natural to think that the Prince of Wales grandchildren will call her grandmother.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleboo View Post
IMO , No. My personal opinion is the boys don't consider Camilla 'Family'
I disagree, she's their step-mother, she is part of their family and I think they're old enough to understand and potentially get over the facts of the past to accept Camilla into their lives. I don't think we would have seen them together or acting as happy as they if they weren't close to Camilla. How can they accept them into their fathers life and not into their own?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Courtier

I think its important to remember that William and Kate's children and eventually Harry's children will grow up seeing Charles and Camilla together as a couple and so its only natural that the little children will call Camilla grandma/granny etc as she is Charles' wife. I think sometimes we need to remember that though the children will lean about Diana (almost certainly from William and Harry themselves as well as eventual media remarks) they won't have known her personally like they will Camilla.
i'd be quite surprised is they don't end up calling her something along the lines of grandma/granny.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I have no doubt William and Harry have a good relationship with Camilla, she makes their father happy and she has been kind and helpful to the princes. My point and this is just my opinion, the princes don't consider Camilla family. This is not a slight or put down but IMO the boys can be happy for their father without considering Camilla as part of their family. JMO and sorry to offend anyone.
They can consider her family without calling her "mum" or otherwise behaving like she is their biological mother. I understand where you're coming from, but Charles has been with Camilla for a long time, and it's nigh unlikely that they would not consider her to be family or a part of their family, solely because of how she came to be in the family. We're talking about grown men here, one of whom is married with a baby due in about 2 months. If Charles and Camilla got married shortly after Diana's funeral, then yes, I'd totally agree the boys wouldn't consider her family; the wounds would be too raw, too new, and it would look very unseemly. However, Diana had been gone almost a decade when they finally got married, and both William and Harry were in their 20s. Far too old, IMO, to shun her.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think calling Camilla by a grandmother type name (Granny, Grandma, Grammy, Nana, etc) is in any way disrespectful to Diana. It's not saying that Diana isn't the grandmother, it's merely acknowledging that Camilla has a grandmotherly role in this child's life (and in a way a larger one than Diana has, owing to Diana's death). Why should this child be denied the opportunity to have a paternal grandmother presence simply because of history?

I would expect the Cambridge baby to call Camilla by the same name that her grandkids call her.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Are we not getting away from the topic of this thread....names & godparents.....not grandparental roles and family relationships?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

The Moderators can move the posts to another thread if they want.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have a question, do W&H call Camilla 'Mum' or or is it strictly Camilla?
Maybe this might shed some light on whether W&K consider it appropriate for Camilla to be 'grandmother' considering Carole Middleton will be the only biological grandmother.
I don't think Princes William and Harry call the Duchess of Cornwall "mum", they certainly call her "Camilla".

But they knew Diana, she died when they were teenagers. The Duchess of Cornwall didn't provided a mother figure for them.

The situation with William and Harry's children is totally different, they'll grow up seein the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall as grandparental figures, it's very likely that they'll call her "grandma Camilla".
Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do think that the relationship between Will, Harry and Camilla is a lot closer than many are suggesting here. We have to remember that when William and Kate married, one of Camilla's little granddaughter's was in the wedding party.
That action there spoke clearly of the acceptance of Camilla and her family into the Windsor fold.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia
I doubt Camilla will be called 'grandmother' or 'granny' by Charles' future grandchildren, but I do believe she will have some other name to go by (maybe some variation of grandmother, Nana maybe?)
I am thinking something along these lines. Diana will be a theory. I'm sure she'll be referred to lovingly by both princes -- heck, I think Charles will refer to her kindly, as well -- but she won't be the day-to-day grandmotherly presence that Camilla will. I just hope the public won't want to rehash that whole thing at the expense of a child.

Topic? Charles has eight godparents and William has six, and I think The Queen has seven. How many godparents is Baby Cambridge likely to have?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Duchess View Post

Topic? Charles has eight godparents and William has six, and I think The Queen has seven. How many godparents is Baby Cambridge likely to have?
I would go with six at a bet, three of each to even it out.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

I guess Baby Cambridge will have five godparents:

1. Prince Harry.
2. Pippa Middleton.
3. Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece.
4. The Countess of Wessex.
5. Hugh van Cutsem.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Royal Highness

I too think the baby will have six godparents: Harry, Pippa Middleton, Peter Phillips, one of the Greeks - perhaps Theodora or Philippos (or Alexia even, she seems to be a popular godmother, but again, William and Catherine are closer in age to someone like Theodora), and two friends.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I have a question, do W&H call Camilla 'Mum' or or is it strictly Camilla?
Maybe this might shed some light on whether W&K consider it appropriate for Camilla to be 'grandmother' considering Carole Middleton will be the only biological grandmother.
Why? Even if Camilla had not been part of the divorce of their parents, Camilla did not help raise Will and Harry. They were grown ups when the couple wed. It would be really odd, if they started calling her Mum, even without the bad history with Diana.

You can have two grandmothers. Calling Camila Granny, takes nothing away from Diana's memory, or from Carole. My mother's mother died when she was little, and my grandfather remarried. My mother was an adult, so calls her by her first name. Myself, my sister and our cousins, and our children (cousin's kids) call her Grandma. It doesn't take from my mom's birth mother, or from my Nana (my dad's mother). My grandfather has passed away, and though they never had kids together, she is still very much a member of the family, even for my mother and her siblings. She was married to their father for 30 years (their mother for 15, though they also had six kids in those years).

If they have six godparents for the child:

Harry
Hugh
Pavlos
Pippa
Zara
female friend like Holly Branson

Harry and Pippa seem a given. Hugh is a good friend and Will is godfather to his daughter who was in the royal wedding. I see Pavlos for the Greeks, as Will is godfather to his eldest son. Zara or Bea for a cousin, but I think Will is closer to the older two. Could replace Zara with Peter, if Theodora was chosen instead of her brother (trying to keep the balance). Then I think a friend will sneak in.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Courtier

Alexandra Elizabeth Mary
Victoria Alexandra Elizabeth Mary

Ref Camilla: GamCam
Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate's brother may be a godfather as well, incorporating all of their siblings. I can definitely see Zara making the list since she and William are close.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Adolphus isn't going to get anywhere near a royal baby for the most obvious of reasons.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
You're thinking of Adolphus 2nd Duke of Cambridge who married to Sarah Fairbrother, an actress and commoner. The first Duke was impeccable
No, she's likely thinking of Adolph Hitler. And she's correct, there is no chance of a royal baby being named Adolphus.