The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

How about Sophia? (not Sophie), she could be named after Heiress Presumptive Electress Sophia of Hanover, after all, she would've been Queen if she didn't die prior 2 months.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

British princess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia // British prince - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was looking through some of those names, both first names and then also middle names, and thought of some interesting combinations if the baby is a girl:

Alexandra Anne Elizabeth Mary
Charlotte Mary Amelia Anne
Victoria Caroline Alexandra Helena
Mary Elizabeth Catherine Margaret
Elizabeth Alice Sophia Charlotte
Anne Louise Beatrice Mary

If the baby is a boy:

George Andrew Patrick David (after all four patron saints)
Henry Philip Edward Albert
Edward Charles Philip James
Charles Alexander Frederick George
Richard William Michael Andrew

With the boys, there hasn't been much variation in the names over the last 300+ years. There have been more new girls names introduced, at least more variety, than there have been with the boys.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd say there's a good chance you've got all 4 names there, Sister Morphine. It'll just be a matter of what order the names are in.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand why people saying the Queen should not have let Edward and Sophie use the name James. They liked the name (though I wish they had chosen Alexander as his Christian name but anywho) and she obviously liked the name too, thus allowing them to use it. She also knows that there are lots of other Regal names her future generations could choose from.

It's interesting that in the Top 10 boys names of 2011, 5 of them are currently used as Christian names for Royal family members (William, Henry, Edward, James and Alexander). Traditional names like those never go out of fashion. As a midwife I see a lot of names, the weird and the wonderful included, but I still see a lot of Henry's/Harry's and Edward's. It's lovely.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Serene Highness

Nice to be back! it's been such a long time since I last posted something here. As I am a fan of the couple, I'm really excited about the baby news. I'm on the #TeamGirl and wish she has Alexandra as a first name. I assume they would throw Elizabeth and Diana to pay tribute to the great and grandmother of the baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
British princess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia // British prince - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was looking through some of those names, both first names and then also middle names, and thought of some interesting combinations if the baby is a girl:

Alexandra Anne Elizabeth Mary
Charlotte Mary Amelia Anne
Victoria Caroline Alexandra Helena
Mary Elizabeth Catherine Margaret
Elizabeth Alice Sophia Charlotte
Anne Louise Beatrice Mary

If the baby is a boy:

George Andrew Patrick David (after all four patron saints)
Henry Philip Edward Albert
Edward Charles Philip James
Charles Alexander Frederick George
Richard William Michael Andrew

With the boys, there hasn't been much variation in the names over the last 300+ years. There have been more new girls names introduced, at least more variety, than there have been with the boys.
Sister, nice to see you here! I love you options, but I wonder if they will go with 4 names.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Nice to be back! it's been such a long time since I last posted something here. As I am a fan of the couple, I'm really excited about the baby news. I'm on the #TeamGirl and wish she has Alexandra as a first name. I assume they would throw Elizabeth and Diana to pay tribute to the great and grandmother of the baby.

Sister, nice to see you here! I love you options, but I wonder if they will go with 4 names.
Alexandra Elizabeth Diana Mary has a nice Queenly ring to it!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

For godparents I can see Harry, Pippa, Peter Phillips and a couple of personal friends. I dont think there will be any foreign royalty and probably no British aristocrats unless they are personal friends. The ceremony will not be broadcast so we will get one or two official photographs and perhaps a post ceremony clip during HMs Christmas Message.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I don't think Francis/Frances is going to happen due to the new Pope choosing that name. Like it or not, there's simply too much history vis-a-vis the RF/UK and the Roman Catholic Church. On top of that, Mr Bergoglio's comments about the UK and the Falkland Islands have not exactly been welcomed here.

I doubt that they'll pay tribute to both grandmothers or grandfathers in the name of their first child. William doesn't have Charles as one of his names, Harry does.

I also very much doubt they'll name their child William or Catherine. It may have been very common in the past, but nowadays it would be seen as totally self-absorbed.
Good argument for the child not having William in his name, as Charles is not in Will's name.

But Will does have his grandfather's name, Philip. And Diana was reported as wanting to call him John, which was her father's name. But it was vetoed.

Michael is not a controvercial name. There is a royal connection as well, Prince Michael of Kent. The name would not get vetoed, like John did.

Brazilian- IMO, chosing Charles' fourth name doesnt seem like much of an honor to Charles. And Charles shot down rumors years ago, that he planned to go by George and not Charles. I could see using George, but it seems more likely it would be in honor of the queen's father.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Gentry

Godparents

While it's true that godparents should be chosen in part due to their closeness to the parents, Baby Cambridge will be Sovereign one day. An heir-to-the-throne or two wouldn't be out of order. Not that I think they will do this, but it would be nice to include a couple of foreign royals. It might be a signal of a renewed closeness between the UK and the Continent which could come under William's reign.

There is very little in the way of precedent when it comes to the BRF choosing foreign royals (other than Greece) as godparents, it isn't unheard of. The Earl of Wessex is a godfather of Prince Nikolai of Denmark and The Princess Royal is a godmother of Crown Prince Haakon.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Duchess View Post
While it's true that godparents should be chosen in part due to their closeness to the parents, Baby Cambridge will be Sovereign one day. An heir-to-the-throne or two wouldn't be out of order. Not that I think they will do this, but it would be nice to include a couple of foreign royals. It might be a signal of a renewed closeness between the UK and the Continent which could come under William's reign.

There is very little in the way of precedent when it comes to the BRF choosing foreign royals (other than Greece) as godparents, it isn't unheard of. The Earl of Wessex is a godfather of Prince Nikolai of Denmark and The Princess Royal is a godmother of Crown Prince Haakon.
Maybe Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece. King Constatine is Prince William's godparent. The British and the Greek Royal Families are very close.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Royal Highness

Yes and William is godfather of Constatine-Alexios, so it wouldn't surprise me if Pavlos were to be choosen as a godparent, however I almost 100% that they won't choose any other foreign royals except the Greek.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think one of the Greek Royals will be a godparent, as well as perhaps Sophie Wessex but apart from that I would be really shocked if there were any other HRH's among the Godparent line up.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I think one of the Greek Royals will be a godparent, as well as perhaps Sophie Wessex but apart from that I would be really shocked if there were any other HRH's among the Godparent line up.
I really like the idea of Countess of Wessex as a godmother. She's wonderful with children, and if the media is to be believed, has been of help to Catherine before the wedding, and during her first months as a member of the BRF.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

I hope Camilla is smart enough to stay well away from the grandchild of Diana when it comes to any sort of 'official' role/connection.

LaRae
Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness

Do you think the Cambridge children, as well Prince Harry's children, will call the Duchess of Cornwall "grandmother"?

She seems to enjoy a very good relationship with her step-sons, and I can see the Prince of Wales encouraging his grandchildren to call her "grandma Camilla". This would be very nice, in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Nobility

I like the idea of Sophie, but I'd be really surprised. I think they'll go with contemporaries age wise. I also think, the only foreign royals will be the Greeks, other than the Olympics and one trip to Denmark, they have had little contact with the foreign royal houses, except things like their wedding.

If they have five godparents which seems customary I see:
a sibling each
a cousin of Will's
Greek royal
and a friend

If a boy:
Harry, Pavlos, Hugh, Pippa, Zara

If a girl:
Harry, Hugh, Theodora, Pippa and Bea/Zara

I think it would be nice if Camilla has a place in the baby's life, officially or not. Diana is gone, and though the baby's grandmother, can't be there. It seems Camilla has a good relationship with her stepsons. And she is the baby's step grandmother. She seems quite doting with her own grandchildren, I love the pics of both her and Charles with Eliza.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

I think that should be up to William (or Harry if he has children). If they call Camilla anything.

LaRae
Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Nobility

I think it likely, at least in private, the kids will call her grandmother. They wont be raised with the history of Diana and their grandfather. They will just know Camilla as the wife of their grandfather, and it will be natural. Kids don't tend to care about blood, when they are little.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Serene Highness

Well, they'll grow up seeing the Duchess of Cornwall by the side of their grandfather, I can't see anything more natural than they calling her grandmother.

If they start, naturally, calling her grandmother, I don't think the Duke of Cambridge and and Prince Harry would try to stop their children from doing this.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Gentry

I don't think they will select any foreign royals outside of the Greeks as godparents, only that doing so might serve to bridge the gap between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleboo
IMO , No. My personal opinion is the boys don't consider Camilla 'Family'
Yes they are happy she makes their father happy but I don't think they consider Camilla any more than that. JMO.
As far as Camilla's role with Baby Cambridge, I don't think that after all this time that William and Harry have a "cold" relationship with her. It seems to be much more familial than that. I'm sure that she will step into the grandma role, and I don't see that as disrespectful of the former Princess of Wales, whom I hold in great esteem. She may not be called "grandma" but some other name to indicate her role. She's Grandpapa Charles' wife, after all.

Diana is not here. It's sad, but that's the reality. I cannot imagine that the baby would be privy to all of the hullabaloo about the trio. I think Camilla will treat this baby as her grandchild and that's okay. Additionally, Catherine seems to have a relationship with Camilla. More loving influences can hardly be a bad thing.