The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know: traditional monarch names for a boy are all taken!

William, Henry, Charles, Edward...all Senior royals.
Richard- well, the press would have a field day with that nickname.
George- I agree there have been too many Georges.
James- Edward took it for his own son!
John- considered unlucky.
Stephen- My personal favorite but hasn't been used for ages.

Hard to see how William and Kate can really use a traditional name here!
Oh why did the Queen let Edward use James?? Someone should have anticipated this!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Oh why did the Queen let Edward use James?? Someone should have anticipated this!
Even if she hadn't "let Edward use James", Catherine's brother would still have been named James. Also, I really don't see what should stop them from using a name that's already in use if they really like that name.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose that's true.
And the baby would be Prince James, so that would distinguish him from any others.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't name my son my brothers name. There's way to many names in the world for them to go with James. Besides I doubt William would want that...if anything I think he'd want his son to have his name before anyone elses.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Don't forget there's another James to consider in this family dynamic.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness

The last King James was deposed in the Glorious Revolution. I don't think it's a very auspicious name for a future Monarch. The British Royal Family stops to use the names of ill-fated Monarchs to name future Monarchs. We don't see a Richard, a John, a Charles or a James for ages.

I don't think they'll use name the baby James. George is certainly one of the safest options. Okay, the first four George weren't the best Kings ever, but the last two were brilliant. And I still thinking that the Prince of Wales will reign as King George VII.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
The last King James was deposed in the Glorious Revolution. I don't think it's a very auspicious name for a future Monarch. The British Royal Family stops to use the names of ill-fated Monarchs to name future Monarchs. We don't see a Richard, a John, a Charles or a James for ages.

I don't think they'll use name the baby James. George is certainly one of the safest options. Okay, the first four George weren't the best Kings ever, but the last two were brilliant. And I still thinking that the Prince of Wales will reign as King George VII.
The first King Charles was executed. The last King Edward abdicated. The only Queen Anne died without issue. And yet the Queen thought that all were appropriate names to give her children. The one child of hers who doesn't have the name of a former British monarch is Andrew, who was named for Philip's father - a man who was partially blamed for the loss of Greek territory in the Greco-Turkish War, was exiled from his home country twice, and was estranged from his wife.

The Queen didn't see fit to not give her children names of individuals who had less than desirable histories, so I can't see William being forced to avoid names that are similarly associated (except for John, but that's a special case).

Oh, also, Charles gave both his sons the name of questionable monarchs - William being associated with two monarchs who were unable to secure the future of their lines, one of whom is a hugely contested figure in Northern Ireland, while Henry is best associated with a man who is known for sleeping his way through both a kingdom and a religion, and that's just taking into consideration the most recent holder of the name (there were also 3 Henrys who were usurpers, which makes it an interesting name to give the younger son, and another who was usurped not once but twice).
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The first King Charles was executed. The last King Edward abdicated. The only Queen Anne died without issue. And yet the Queen thought that all were appropriate names to give her children. The one child of hers who doesn't have the name of a former British monarch is Andrew, who was named for Philip's father - a man who was partially blamed for the loss of Greek territory in the Greco-Turkish War, was exiled from his home country twice, and was estranged from his wife.

The Queen didn't see fit to not give her children names of individuals who had less than desirable histories, so I can't see William being forced to avoid names that are similarly associated (except for John, but that's a special case).

Oh, also, Charles gave both his sons the name of questionable monarchs - William being associated with two monarchs who were unable to secure the future of their lines, one of whom is a hugely contested figure in Northern Ireland, while Henry is best associated with a man who is known for sleeping his way through both a kingdom and a religion, and that's just taking into consideration the most recent holder of the name (there were also 3 Henrys who were usurpers, which makes it an interesting name to give the younger son, and another who was usurped not once but twice).
If you read what I wrote, you'll notice that I wasn't talking about Royal children in general, I was talking about direct heirs to the Throne.

When Her Majesty named her son Charles, she's was doing something extraordinay, because the two previous King Charles weren't very successful.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

In most families, people don't use a name that's just been taken by another family member, but there's certainly nothing wrong with using a name like James just because there's another little James.

As for not using the names of unfortunate monarchs of the past, I think in the 21st Century such superstitions are over, and most royal parents give a name that sounds pleasing to their ears rather than out of some duty to name a child this or that.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Admittedly - this only looks at William's side of the family and boy names, it's a sample biased by who I counted, who did not have children, etc. But of the current royal group (which includes the current HRH and their issue) and several past rulers, I came up with the following name count. A full accounting of names follows the count.

George 11
Albert 6
Edward 6
Philip 5
Alexander 4
Charles 4
Frederick 4
Richard 4
Arthur 3
David 3
Louis 3
Andrew 2
Christian 2
Edmund 2
Henry 2
Michael 2
Nicholas 2
Patrick3
Walter 1
William 2
Anders 1
Antony 1
Ernest 1
Franklin 1
Gregers 1
James 1
Maximilian 1
Paul 1
Theo 1
Xan 1

And here are all names for those I counted. Pardon the familiar rather than correct names - I was in a curious, if rushed state of mind.
Prince Harry: Henry Charles Albert David
Prince William: William Arthur Philip Louis
Prince Charles: Charles Philip Arthur George
Prince Phillip: Phillip
Prince Andrew: Andrew Albert Christian Edward
Prince Edward: Edward Antony Richard Louis
Viscount Severn: James Alexander Philip Theo
Duke of Gloucester: Richard Alexander Walter George
Earl of Ulster: Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard
Lord Culloden: Xan Richard Anders
Duke of Kent: Edward George Nicholas Paul Patrick
Earl of St. Andrews: George Philip Nicholas
Lord Downpatrick: Edward Edmund Maximilian George
Prince Michael of Kent: Michael George Charles Franklin
Lord Frederick Windsor: Frederick Michael George David Louis
Prince George, Duke of Kent: George Edward Alexander Edmund
Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester: Henry William Frederick Albert
George VI: Albert Frederick Arthur George
Edward VII: Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David
George V: George Frederick Ernest Albert
Old 03-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a minor correction for above. The Earl of Ulsters names are Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Melissa-dates back to ancient greek myth, 16th century Italian lit, and 18th century Scottish poetry to name a few, nothing modern there.

Allison dates back to the middle ages where it was a nickname in Norman speaking areas, for Alice.

Dereks have been found in the low countries since the 14 hundreds.

Caitlin is a very old Irish form of Catherine

Names like Ashton and Cody originated as surnames. It has become popular to use family names as first names, but the names are still historical. I believe in the southern us, it was a tradition in some places, it is traditional.

Many last names stemmed from first names. Malcolm son of Keneth would have been known Malcom MacKeneth. His son instead of being James MacMalcolm, continued using MacKeneth, and family names started there. Names like Brody and Logan, also very popular names now a days, are old Scottish clan names.
........someone already told me this days ago. I didn't need to be told again. My reading skills are perfectly fine.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

It's most likely that the baby's name will be George.

Prince George Philip Arthur Michael of Cambridge sounds pretty good.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

If you read what I wrote, you'll notice that I wasn't talking about Royal children in general, I was talking about direct heirs to the Throne.

When Her Majesty named her son Charles, she's was doing something extraordinay, because the two previous King Charles weren't very successful.
I realize that you were talking specifically about the heir, my point was that in general the Queen and her eldest son don't seem to base the names they choose for their children on the lives of the predecessors who had it - just looking at the heirs, neither Charles nor William are necessarily good monarchical names due to the predecessors, but they are the names of the first and second in the line of succession.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I realize that you were talking specifically about the heir, my point was that in general the Queen and her eldest son don't seem to base the names they choose for their children on the lives of the predecessors who had it - just looking at the heirs, neither Charles nor William are necessarily good monarchical names due to the predecessors, but they are the names of the first and second in the line of succession.
Charles is an exception, but William III and William IV were very good Kings.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Just a minor correction for above. The Earl of Ulsters names are Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard
TNX - I fixed it. How do you remember this stuff? Or maybe you just checked my work. Good job.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought what Admirus did was really interesting. I wiki'ed Catherine and here are male family names. Obvious do not have cousins, uncles etc names (apart of course from Gary!)

Michael
Peter
Francis (3)
Ronald
Noel
Frederick (2)
George
Stephen
Charles
Thomas (2)
John (3)
Gavin
Theophilus

I think we can count the last one out

I think if it is a boy, Peter will be one of the names after Peter Francis Middleton, her paternal grandfather who died shortly before the engagement was announced

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think if it is a boy, Peter will be one of the names after Peter Francis Middleton, her paternal grandfather who died shortly before the engagement was announced
And Her Royal Highness was close to her grandfather?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know if there are bets on which is going to be the baby name in UK?
I know that British ppl love to gamble and they put their money on guessing the fastest horse or who is going to win in football. Are there already any statistics for Cambridge baby names?Which ones are most popular?
. Helen Keller
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently. His death was cited as one of the reasons the engagement announcement was delayed because she was upset. Also, (I'm doing this from memory) during WWII he served in Canada and she wanted to see where that was on the tour. Sorry not to be more specific.

The DM ran this story about him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...anes-wing.html

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread