The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

They call Catherine's sister Pippa, for Phillipa, could they call a son Pip for Phillip? I don't think that would work well. Although there is a notable character in Great Expectations, by Dickens, Pip. My English family lived in the hamlet of Cooling, the setting for Great Expectations, five miles from Rochester, where Dickens lived.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
They call Catherine's sister Pippa, for Phillipa, could they call a son Pip for Phillip? I don't think that would work well. Although there is a notable character in Great Expectations, by Dickens, Pip. My English family lived in the hamlet of Cooling, the setting for Great Expectations, five miles from Rochester, where Dickens lived.
Pip is a nickname for Philip, so it's possible.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Modern = not Biblical or otherwise historical .... at least, that's how I've always defined it. For example, Alison, Derek, Melissa, Karen, Linda, and Cheryl are all rather modern names, but I can't see a Queen Linda or a King Derek, can you? You could also throw in Caitlin, Brianna, Cody, Aislyn, Brady, Sierra, and Ashton in there as well. Those are all the names of students in my sister's 7th grade Language Arts class.

I'd consider modern to be any name that didn't appear with regularity before 1950.
Melissa-dates back to ancient greek myth, 16th century Italian lit, and 18th century Scottish poetry to name a few, nothing modern there.

Allison dates back to the middle ages where it was a nickname in Norman speaking areas, for Alice.

Dereks have been found in the low countries since the 14 hundreds.

Caitlin is a very old Irish form of Catherine

Names like Ashton and Cody originated as surnames. It has become popular to use family names as first names, but the names are still historical. I believe in the southern us, it was a tradition in some places, it is traditional.

Many last names stemmed from first names. Malcolm son of Keneth would have been known Malcom MacKeneth. His son instead of being James MacMalcolm, continued using MacKeneth, and family names started there. Names like Brody and Logan, also very popular names now a days, are old Scottish clan names.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Heir Apparent

But none of these are serious contenders for a future Sovereign of GB, NI and 15 realms. Its fun to speculate but these will never happen. Even Queen Alice doesn't seem right.

I'm still on Charlotte Rose

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
That's what I'm thinking..I'm not sure which names are considered modern in the UK. But Philip and Louise and Henry isn't modern here in the US. That doesn't mean there aren't young people with those names but I'm generally speaking.
Actually, Henry is becoming a common name for young boys in the United States. It is currently #52 in popularity. Philip has been gradually falling since the 1990s, but it is still in use and there are plenty of young men named Philip. You are right about Louise, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Old names are making a comeback in the US. Everything old is new again. Its the circle of life.
Exactly.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking..I'm not sure which names are considered modern in the UK. But Philip and Louise and Henry isn't modern here in the US. That doesn't mean there aren't young people with those names but I'm generally speaking.

Really? Every Philip I know is old.
It is funny because I know 4 Philips personally-my brother,my music instructor & two friends They are all below 30...
I don´t think it is an old-fashioned name but maybe in some reagons it is less popular than others.Names also have certain trends-there was a time when everyone wanted to name their kids after ancient Celtic names or Roman/Grecque deities (Diana!),than I have noticed a huge enthusiasm for everything French (came with Jacqueline Kennedy and the nouvelle vague I think),when I was young every mother was crazy about US-names like Tiffany,Britney or Kevin for a boy...
Now I think the trend goes into finding absolutely exceptional names like Savannah,Apple,Brooklyn and other names of celebrity babys suggest(Maybe they have a secret competoition for who wins gold in chosing the most ridiculous,strange,unusual name on the planet that we don´t know about...).
Holly Madison named her girl "Rainbow Aurora" which she got heavily critisised for.To me Rainbow is still one of the more conventional names an quite charming-but when I read about "Ivy Blue" (how did Beyoncé invent Blue Ivy?! AFAIK ivy is dark green,so she must be Green Ivy?!? But if it encourages the girl to study at one of the ivy-league universities I shall be happy with that name!)
Thinking about royalty-Estelle is quite unusual and very little in use in royal circles.First I didn´t like it that much but I came to appreciate it more with time.I like that little girl a lot,so her name would not make any difference-but I am sure that the Cambridges go traditional for the first child!
. Helen Keller
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Queen Elizabeth was named after her Mother. Why not name the baby after her Mother. I think Catherine Elizabeth Diana Carole would sound good. It cover mom, both grandmothers and great grandmother.
so many talk about the name being traditional enough. I think Catherine is a regal name for a Queen and is perfect. The names will not be like they are honoring just Diana they are honoring Great Grandmother, Grandmothers, and of course Mother.Please note that Catherine middle name is Elizabeth.

For a boy I like the same concept like this William Phillip Charles Michael. ps lets honor Great Grandfather and let him be King Phillip.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Really? Every Philip I know is old.
Yes, I'm in my 20s and know several Philips around my age. Among potential male royal baby names, it's among those that strikes me as the least "old"-sounding (not that I think that should be the basis of their choice, of course).

I find it interesting when certain names or more popular, or remain more popular, in the UK vs. in the US. Completely unrelated to this thread and the royal baby, I had just been telling someone the other day how I noticed more "young" (i.e., not grannies) people named Louise in the UK. Upon looking it up, I see that Louise was in the top 100 UK baby names between 1954 and 2005, but its last peak in popularity in the US was in 1950, when it ranked #109. Not that I think that William and Kate are taking such things into account (and I don't think William and Kate will be using that name anyway), but I think it's good as a general of example of differing perceptions.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
But none of these are serious contenders for a future Sovereign of GB, NI and 15 realms. Its fun to speculate but these will never happen. Even Queen Alice doesn't seem right.

I'm still on Charlotte Rose
If you were living in 1825, the continental bourgeois name of Victoria would not seem right, either. You'd get used to Queen Alice.

But I agree, Melissa and company are not serious contenders.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Doesn't the Archbishop of Canterbury use water from the River Jordan for royal baptisms too? Seems I've read that somewhere.
Indeed he does, apparently anyway the water story has never been officially confirmed. Dates back to Richard I and links to christ's immersion in the River Jordan.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Nobility

Princess Anne ?
I love the Name for the future Sovereign , Anne,howere Her Majesty's daughter Anne, I'm counting that one out.
Still,going for Elizabeth or Victoria
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
Princess Anne ?
I love the Name for the future Sovereign , Anne,howere Her Majesty's daughter Anne, I'm counting that one out.
Still,going for Elizabeth or Victoria
think Anne would be really pleased. She is he Princess Royal - a Princess Anne would be ok by her. It would also be popular, I think, with the public.

The effect it would have on computer data bases would be interesting to watch!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Yes, I'm in my 20s and know several Philips around my age. Among potential male royal baby names, it's among those that strikes me as the least "old"-sounding (not that I think that should be the basis of their choice, of course).

I find it interesting when certain names or more popular, or remain more popular, in the UK vs. in the US. Completely unrelated to this thread and the royal baby, I had just been telling someone the other day how I noticed more "young" (i.e., not grannies) people named Louise in the UK. Upon looking it up, I see that Louise was in the top 100 UK baby names between 1954 and 2005, but its last peak in popularity in the US was in 1950, when it ranked #109. Not that I think that William and Kate are taking such things into account (and I don't think William and Kate will be using that name anyway), but I think it's good as a general of example of differing perceptions.
It is very interesting indeed,to watch how certain names gain and lose in popularity! With some names it is extreme-e.g. in Germany/Austria before 2.WW a lot of boys were named after old Germanic persons like "Siegfried" or "Hermann" ,now you don´t see that names anymore in germanspeaking countries (in Spain "Hermano" is still used).
Just as well as Emma (used to be popular like Lisa nowadays),Irmgard or Immaculata are names that I see less used on young people in my country.Adolf is also not used for certain reasons I also don´t see many Wilhelm´s in Germany/Austria any more-it was the name of the last Emperor of G. and IMO quite a nice boy name.
. Helen Keller
Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really think names are cyclical; they are unpopular, and then come around again.
My grandmother and her sisters had names that are in trend right now: Matilda, Lillian, Julia, Anne.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I really think names are cyclical; they are unpopular, and then come around again.
My grandmother and her sisters had names that are in trend right now: Matilda, Lillian, Julia, Anne.
How about Julia Caroline Diana Elizabeth?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding a potential Cambridge baptism have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-34427-33.html.

Thank you!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Nobility

I dont see how Julia is any more likely than Melissa. Melissa was defended, not as a possible royal name, but against people saying it is a 'new' name.

There is a difference between old fashioned/traditional name and royal names. There are names with a serious link to certain royal familie. Lilian would be a likely name in Sweden, due to the beloved Princess Lilian who recently died. Juliana would be likely some where like the Netherlands, where they had a queen by that name.

Of those four, the only ones with a royal connection in Englad would be Mathilda and Anne. I like Anne, and could see it as a middle name, but I am not sure about a first.

how about

Victoria Mary Elizabeth Anne- for the queen reignants of England before her

David Andrew George Patrick- for the four patron saints of the UK

Margrat Augusta Diana Elizabeth-Strathearn, Cambridge, Wales, queen

George Robert Charles Philip- Cambridge, Strathearn, Wales and grandfather
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

David Andrew George Patrick- for the four patron saints of the UK
The Duke of Windsor was Edward Albert George Andrew Patrick David
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post

The Duke of Windsor was Edward Albert George Andrew Patrick David
He was named for the four patron saints.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Serene Highness

There is a George in the Royal Family now, the heir to the Duke of Kent. He lives a quiet life, not actively in service to the family, retired from diplomatic service, supporting his children and his wife, who is a history teacher at Cambridge, I believe. He married a Catholic so he can't be in the succession, nor can his first two children who became Catholics, but his last child (I read) has not become a Catholic yet (Amelia, I think). So I guess the name George for the Prince would be non-conflicting with this George. However, I think there have been way too many George's. There are many other traditional choices and any of them better than this. We have gone over them many times. People speak of Diana as a name with too much weight; I think George has even more weight for a Prince. Stories of the tragic lives of the first King Georges would dominate the press. Even David does not carry as much baggage, although the life of Edward VIII would be rehashed.