The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Do Will and Kate read this forum?
I always wonder if some of the Royals have accounts here.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope they name the baby a modern sort of name and not like Philip or Louise.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I really hope they name the baby a modern sort of name and not like Philip or Louise.
I get how Louise isn't typical in modern times (and I would think it's unlikely to be the name, as that's the name of Edward's daughter), but how is Philip out dated?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
This baby is a future Monarch, he or she will be a link between modern Britain and the country's glorious past.

Baby Cambridge will, for sure, have a very traditional name.

I'm really betting on a King George VIII (supposing Prince Charles will be George VII) or on a Queen Elizabeth III.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have asked several times but have yet to get an explanation as to what is considered a "modern" name, aside from Blue Ivy, Brooklyn, Lemon or Apple. What exactly do you consider modern names, especially when this child could be a future monarch of the UK?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I have asked several times but have yet to get an explanation as to what is considered a "modern" name, aside from Blue Ivy, Brooklyn, Lemon or Apple. What exactly do you consider modern names, especially when this child could be a future monarch of the UK?
Modern = not Biblical or otherwise historical .... at least, that's how I've always defined it. For example, Alison, Derek, Melissa, Karen, Linda, and Cheryl are all rather modern names, but I can't see a Queen Linda or a King Derek, can you? You could also throw in Caitlin, Brianna, Cody, Aislyn, Brady, Sierra, and Ashton in there as well. Those are all the names of students in my sister's 7th grade Language Arts class.

I'd consider modern to be any name that didn't appear with regularity before 1950.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
I cannot see anyone with one of those names ever wearing St Edwards Crown.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^^
I cannot see anyone with one of those names ever wearing St Edwards Crown.
The point is, they won't. You'll never see a Queen Caitlin, not in the UK and not anywhere else. Someone said they wanted to see the baby given a more modern name, you asked for someone to specify what a modern name is, and I rattled off a list of some to demonstrate how absolutely unlikely it will be for it to happen. Maybe they both might secretly like the name Ashton for example (which can be given to a boy or a girl), but I'm pretty sure they're both aware that it's not suitable for their child.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post

Modern = not Biblical or otherwise historical .... at least, that's how I've always defined it. For example, Alison, Derek, Melissa, Karen, Linda, and Cheryl are all rather modern names, but I can't see a Queen Linda or a King Derek, can you? You could also throw in Caitlin, Brianna, Cody, Aislyn, Brady, Sierra, and Ashton in there as well. Those are all the names of students in my sister's 7th grade Language Arts class.

I'd consider modern to be any name that didn't appear with regularity before 1950.
Alison was a common name in the Middle Ages. Derek came into English usage in the 15th century, Melissa is a name from Greek mythology and has been an English given name since the 18th century. Karen is a Danish variation of Katherine that has gained popularity in the English world since the 1940s. Linda is a medieval short form of Germanic names that end in "linde." Caitlin is an anglicized form of the Irish form of Katherine, Brianna is the Irish feminine version of Brian. Cody and Brady come from old Irish names, Ashton is an Old English word turned surname turned given name.

"Modern" names in my understanding can be one of two variants - either names that are probably very old but still common in everyday use (ie Katherine, Elizabeth, John, etc) or names that you didn't see at all before the 20th century (ie Jayden, Ashlynn, etc).
Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Louise wont be used anyway as the child would be too close in age to Lady Louise Windsor, Edward's daughter. The same for James, which many people are keen to see be used as Viscount Severn is only 5.5 years older than the baby. You can safely say those names wont be used, except perhaps as middle names.

I agree that we will never see a "trendy" name for the future Monarch. I also don't think they will repeat family history traditions of giving their child a few names and choosing to use their 3rd or 4th name to refer them as. For example, I don't think that if the child were a girl and she was called Elizabeth Carole Sophie Charlotte, we wouldn't see her go by the name Charlotte and use Elizabeth when she becomes Queen. I think the child's first name will be the name we know them as and the name they use as Monarch. (That's part of the reason why I don't think Charles will be George VII, simply because the public know him as Charles...)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Linda Louise Elizabeth Diana Caroline Alexandra; six names, has a certain royal ring to it!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen Linda has no royal ring to it. Pick any of the 5 middle names and you've got a winner.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah, but it makes such a nice alliteration with Louise, and a nice melding of the old and the new.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Commoner

What about Clemence if the baby is a girl?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPrincesseJasmine View Post
What about Clemence if the baby is a girl?

Might work for a French parlour maid but this child will be a future British monarch.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand why people persistently think that William and Catherine are gonna give their child a modern name or a "name out of the ordinary". I'm a bit of a name geek myself, and over at nameberry, I've heard as ridiculous suggestions as Imogen, Aurora, Vivienne, Jamison () and Alister. Let's be realistic; they're naming a future British King or Queen, not a fairytale Prince or Princess. I'm 99.9% certain that they wont pull a Victoria and Daniel and name their baby something completely untraditional.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Aristocracy

How about:

Amelia
Ethan
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I don't understand why people persistently think that William and Catherine are gonna give their child a modern name or a "name out of the ordinary". I'm a bit of a name geek myself, and over at nameberry, I've heard as ridiculous suggestions as Imogen, Aurora, Vivienne, Jamison () and Alister. Let's be realistic; they're naming a future British King or Queen, not a fairytale Prince or Princess. I'm 99.9% certain that they wont pull a Victoria and Daniel and name their baby something completely untraditional.

Indeed, some people seem to think they're picking they next Disney princess name or something. Or the view William and Kate as some kind of celebrities, not realizing the tradition involved in a choice like this. Personally, I'm glad of all the tradition; I'm no fan of newfangled names. My main "concern" is that they'll name their child something that I have planned for my future children (e.g. Alice) and then I won't be able to use it because I'll look like a copycat.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Courtier

What's wrong with traditional names that stand the test of time and not flash in the pan names that will go out fashion soon.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenS5 View Post
How about:

Amelia
Ethan
Amelia is a possibility, but Ethan will definitely not be chosen.