The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1081  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
As I've stated above, I'm 99.99% sure that the first name of Baby Cambridge will be a traditional royal name borne by a previous Sovereign of the UK or post-Norman Conquest England. For a girl: Elizabeth, (most likely IMO) Victoria, Mary or Anne. For a boy George, (most likely, again IMO) Charles, Henry, Edward, William, Richard or James (least likely because of young Lord Severn). They could also choose a name previously only borne by a King of Scots, which would add Alexander, Donald, Duncan, David, Robert, Edgar, Malcolm or Constantine. (I'm not including the more unusual Lulach, MacBeth, Dub, etc.) Other family or favorite names will then be used after the traditional Sovereign's name - here's where we'll see Philip, Michael, Carol, Diana, Frances, etc. This future sovereign will not be "HM ___ ___ the First".
Don't forget Stephen and even Matilda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post

Well,it´s not a problem for English speakers,but for German and French nationals I have huge doubts they would turn it into something sounding really gruesome-we have a Jacqueline in our neighbourhood-very pretty French name and she constantly gets called "Chuckie" or "Tschacklin" (writing as it is pronounced) and it makes my ears and heart bleed everytime I encounter a name being pronounced wrongly
Just listen to Liza Minelli and her song "Liza with a Z" on youtube!

Consider:Liza Minelli is a very simple name yet there are so many ways to mis-pronounce it,that´s why I am hoping for a clear,proper name that can´t be mispronounced or will be abbrivated into something ugly!
Like some ppl call Charlotte from Monaco "Char"
Such an extremely beautiful name butchered like that...
Or not that terrible but sad as well-Catherine who is always called "Kate"-nothing wrong with Kate,but it´s not her name and Catherine sounds so much more dignified in my ears...
Pretty and not butcherable names would be (if we take some from the already proposed name list)e.g. Carole or Alice!Short,simple,beautiful
The names that you're saying have been "butchered" are simply nicknames. Catherine went by Kate for many years - probably by choice - before her marriage. She probably still goes by Kate within her family, much like William has been called Will or Wills at points in his life.
__________________

__________________
  #1082  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post


The names that you're saying have been "butchered" are simply nicknames. Catherine went by Kate for many years - probably by choice - before her marriage. She probably still goes by Kate within her family, much like William has been called Will or Wills at points in his life.
But many many people dislike nicknames.

I always did; I never saw the point of giving someone a name and then calling that person something else!
__________________

__________________
  #1083  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But many many people dislike nicknames.

I always did; I never saw the point of giving someone a name and then calling that person something else!
Which is fine for your own name :) But some, like me, enjoy having a nickname. My real name is long and a bit too grand for a child. I reclaimed my full name when I grew up, and my nickname is still used by my family and those close to me.

It provides some flexibility. I can choose what I want people to call me.
__________________
  #1084  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Well,it´s not a problem for English speakers,but for German and French nationals I have huge doubts they would turn it into something sounding really gruesome-we have a Jacqueline in our neighbourhood-very pretty French name and she constantly gets called "Chuckie" or "Tschacklin" (writing as it is pronounced) and it makes my ears and heart bleed everytime I encounter a name being pronounced wrongly
Just listen to Liza Minelli and her song "Liza with a Z" on youtube!

Consider:Liza Minelli is a very simple name yet there are so many ways to mis-pronounce it,that´s why I am hoping for a clear,proper name that can´t be mispronounced or will be abbrivated into something ugly!
Like some ppl call Charlotte from Monaco "Char"
Such an extremely beautiful name butchered like that...
Or not that terrible but sad as well-Catherine who is always called "Kate"-nothing wrong with Kate,but it´s not her name and Catherine sounds so much more dignified in my ears...
Pretty and not butcherable names would be (if we take some from the already proposed name list)e.g. Carole or Alice!Short,simple,beautiful
That's the difference between English speakers and non-English speakers. We English speakers love our "nicknames" One of my sons has a nickname, and he is angry when teachers occasionally call him by "that name", i.e., the name on his birth certificate. LOL.

When I was pregnant, Katherine was one of the names on my list for a girl, and we would have called her Kate. This was 12 years ago, well before we were aware of any Kate Middleton.

I know an "Alice" and her family called her "Allie." Again, we English speakers love our nicknames, and never underestimate our ability to "butcher" a name.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #1085  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,654
If parents decide to call their child by an abbreviation of their given name, ie Harry instead of Henry, I don't think that's a nickname - that's his name, what he is known as. "Shorty" is a nickname; so is "Dusty", "Chalky" etc. In the UK, some these tend to go with surnames, ie Chalky White. Just my view.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #1086  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,810
Essentially, your name is what you want to be called.

Take the Queen for example. She's Lillibet to her closest friends. I bet she thinks of that as her "name"
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #1087  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But many many people dislike nicknames.

I always did; I never saw the point of giving someone a name and then calling that person something else!
I'm the opposite: I prefer that people have "full" first names rather than be given a name like Liz or Kate at birth. IMO, better to be called Elizabeth or Catherine, and shorten it if you like. As HRHHermione said, it provides flexibility. I know many people who change what they're called at some point in their lives - i.e., some use a nickname as a child and their full name when they reach adulthood, or vice versa.
__________________
  #1088  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Essentially, your name is what you want to be called.

Take the Queen for example. She's Lillibet to her closest friends. I bet she thinks of that as her "name"
Is the Queen still Lillibet to close friends? I always thought that was more a family pet name that she would have left behind as an adult. I know that when I was a kid my dad had special nicknames for each of us, but when we got older they got used less and less to the point that now they only come out on the rare occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

I'm the opposite: I prefer that people have "full" first names rather than be given a name like Liz or Kate at birth. IMO, better to be called Elizabeth or Catherine, and shorten it if you like. As HRHHermione said, it provides flexibility. I know many people who change what they're called at some point in their lives - i.e., some use a nickname as a child and their full name when they reach adulthood, or vice versa.
I agree completely. It also makes a difference for work. I typically go by an abbreviated version of my full name (Ish) when with friends and family, but I use my full name at work and school. I used to work with a guy whose parents had given him a legal name nickname - Jamie - but went by James at work because he thought that for work purposes it was more professional - and it made things difficult when he got a paycheque with a name different from his legal one.
__________________
  #1089  
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,810
I could be wrong, but I think her nickname of Lillibet stuck (unfortunately I'm not sure how many of her close friends are still alive - one of the downsides of living so long.)
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #1090  
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I could be wrong, but I think her nickname of Lillibet stuck (unfortunately I'm not sure how many of her close friends are still alive - one of the downsides of living so long.)
The Duke of Edinburgh, Her cousin and a few friends from childhood, are the only alive who still calls Her Majesty "Lilibet".

The Duke of Edinburgh also call her "cabbage".
__________________
  #1091  
Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe
When I was pregnant, Katherine was one of the names on my list for a girl, and we would have called her Kate. This was 12 years ago, well before we were aware of any Kate Middleton
Several years from now, when the time is right for me to have children (I'm not even in a relationship right now), my firstborn daughter (not necessarily my firstborn child) will be named Katherine Anne (middle name of course after the current Princess Royal), and she will be known as Katie.
__________________
  #1092  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Noble Consort Ming's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, United States
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Several years from now, when the time is right for me to have children (I'm not even in a relationship right now), my firstborn daughter (not necessarily my firstborn child) will be named Katherine Anne (middle name of course after the current Princess Royal), and she will be known as Katie.
So the father of your child will have no input in the name?
__________________
How can I dislike the Vasas for running my country when their babies are so cute!
  #1093  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
So the father of your child will have no input in the name?
*eyeroll*

Everyone thinks about what their future looks like, and that shifts and changes appropriately when need be, but that's no reason why someone shouldn't dream and think ahead.
__________________
  #1094  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
So the father of your child will have no input in the name?
No offence to any males here, but if I'm doing all the "work" then the least he can give me is naming my child. Although in Sarah's case it's hardly surprising.

Regarding nicknames, I hate them. The situation Henry is in is ridiculous in my opinion. I have a friend who I met in college, everyone calls him Josh. I believe that to be his name until someone told me he's actually called Jack and everyone just calls him Josh. Makes no sense to me to have two names.

Catherine is a lovely name, Kate/Katie is a suitable family nickname or shortening for when she was young IMO.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #1095  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 AM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
That's the difference between English speakers and non-English speakers. We English speakers love our "nicknames" One of my sons has a nickname, and he is angry when teachers occasionally call him by "that name", i.e., the name on his birth certificate. LOL.

When I was pregnant, Katherine was one of the names on my list for a girl, and we would have called her Kate. This was 12 years ago, well before we were aware of any Kate Middleton.

I know an "Alice" and her family called her "Allie." Again, we English speakers love our nicknames, and never underestimate our ability to "butcher" a name.
Well,that´s true-I think Catherine feels comfortable with her nickname but I know for sure (I have read that in a biography) that Jacqueline Kennedy didn´t approve of being called "Jackie" because she thought it sounds like a male.
In fact,my last dog was a male and we called him "Jackie",so I can understand her reasoning.I constantly get post with my family name written wrong and I always have to spell out my surname even though it only has 5 letters....

Anyway, just like LauraS3514, I almost certainly expect them to give a very traditional name-at least to the first baby so Frances is clearly out of the race;-)

BTW-I like the name Harry even though it´s a shorty from Henry,but somehow it sounds more appropriate and fresh for the Prince!
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
  #1096  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 AM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
No offence to any males here, but if I'm doing all the "work" then the least he can give me is naming my child. Although in Sarah's case it's hardly surprising.
Completely agree with you-who is doing most of the work?Who is having pregnancy sickness,who is constrained in his movements and activity because of the baby,who has to constantly think about what to eat (wrong food can make you gazzy or the child feel unwell),who has to be strictly anti-alcoholic,no cigarettes etc. (not that this is a bad thing-I am non-smoker but for many ppl a life without their cigarettes is hard)....
who is going through the difficult delivery process that is not only painful but also can lead to death or health problems of the mother?(In Western countries we have great doctors and health care,but in poor nations an awful lot of women die in childbed!) Sometimes women have to battle with PND or the excessive baby weight that makes them feel uncomfortable in their body...and who is giving milk,who is doing most of the work of raising the children traditionally?
So I think that it is very clear women have earned a prerogrative in naming the child!
The man usually gives his family name,it is only fair that women chose the first one (of course in agreement with the men,but they should have the last say)!
Also it is normal to think about how you would name your kids even when you are single and childless-we did that even in Kindergarten,so it´s a natural thing for women to imagine how they would call their baby
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
  #1097  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,171
I am of the opinion that naming a baby is a joint operation between both mother and father as parenting is a partnership. In most cases though that I'm aware of, usually the father isn't overly picky when it comes to picking a name or shopping for the layette or any of the little things that come with preparing for a child. They are the ones that beam ear to ear though when the child arrives and puff out their chests with pride and even sometimes are afraid to hold the wee one as they're afraid they might break them.

With my oldest son, he was named after his grandfathers which also gave us 3 Roberts alive in the immediate family (hubby was named after HIS grandfather Robert). Grandpa was Bob, Hubby was Rob and my son as a kid was Robbie Pat as some childhood friends and family still called Hubby Robbie. My son turns 40 today and its been years since he's been called his childhood nickname. With me, as a kid I was called Debbie and I totally hate that name now. My full name is Deborah and to me its too formal and most would spell it Debra. I prefer Deb. I think its all how a family sees their child and how the child itself likes to be called when an adult.

With William and Kate, they do have to consider that their child will one day be the monarch. The name is most likely something that they are working together on and perhaps even have agreed on. The child may be known in the family by a nickname such as Wombat (and later on Combat Wombat) but for all purposes, this child's name is something I do think they're taking seriously.

I tend to lean to the idea that they will give their child a name unique to this child. Perhaps traditional, perhaps not but not a name that can be construed as "named after". Like Georgiana or Alexander. It will be unique to the child.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #1098  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
The Duke of Edinburgh, Her cousin and a few friends from childhood, are the only alive who still calls Her Majesty "Lilibet".

The Duke of Edinburgh also call her "cabbage".
I'm sure her niece & nephew call her "Aunt Lilibet".
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
  #1099  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I'm sure her niece & nephew call her "Aunt Lilibet".
Oh, yes. I completely forgot about Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah.
__________________
  #1100  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,810
I think names in general are more important to one partner than the other. Some husbands have full input, others have only veto power. My husband really only exercised veto power.

Given Will and Kate's position and the import of this child, I would think Will has a great deal of input. And given the fact that they are truly limited in their name choices, I would not be surprised if their little one has some sort of nickname, which is something over which the couple truly have carte blanche.

For example, they might feel it right to name a baby "George" for whatever reason, but give him a nickname which gives them a greater private, personalized touch. Example, Edward VIII was called "David".

If the name "Diana" is frowned upon by Queen, etc as a choice of first name, there is nothing to stop Will and Kate from giving a girl a string of regal BRF names, tucking Diana onto the end, and then calling her Diana at home. If I were this couple, and I really wanted to honor my mother, this is what I would do.

Do Will and Kate read this forum?
__________________

__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HRH Duke Carlos Javier (1970- ) and the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma: August 2010- Warren Royal Families of Italy 222 12-05-2014 03:23 AM
Potential Names and Godparents for Zara Phillips Tindall and Mike Tindall First Child Zonk The Princess Royal and Family 110 06-05-2014 04:47 AM
Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 3615 07-22-2013 02:30 AM
Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby principessa Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 390 07-26-2009 11:56 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]