Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like Alexandra and the child could be called Alex or Lexie for short. Alexis is my favourite name if I ever have a little girl, but I can't see that being a choice.

I am not sure what the boy's favourite is but I imagine it's George or James.

I would not mind at all if the baby were to be Alexandra, Alexandrina or if a boy Alexander. I always thought those names are really beautiful and I've lots of people that I treasure with those names, well, except Alxendrina but still a beautiful name and not over used.

I would be really surprised if they don't name the baby (if it's a girl) Elizabeth.

Will be a great tribute to Queen, and the Duke of Cambridge is very close to his grandmother.

I'm eager to see a photography of the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince/Princess X of Cambridge, like that one of Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, King George V and King Edward VIII.

http://www.avictorian.com/victoria/...uture Edward VII George V and Edward VIII.jpg

http://gateway.ntpl.org.uk/hppa-zooms/00000000324/cms_kla07373.bro

Last edited:
William seems to like to do things his own way. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose a name that surprises everyone. If I remember correctly, it was quite a surprise when Charles and Diana named their first son William.

If I remember correctly, it was quite a surprise when Charles and Diana named their first son William.

They named him after Prince William of Gloucester (1941-1972), a favourite cousin of the Prince of Wales.

Alexandra would be the perfect name, the more I think about it. Princess Alexandra Elizabeth Charlotte Diana of Cambridge. Works for me.

The reason that the odds have shortened is that there has been a flurry of new bets on the name. There is an assumption that someone "knows" something.

The current (republican) PM of Australia is Julia Gillard. Antonia is too similar to Anthony which is the name of former PM Tony Blair and the man who's likely to win the Australian general election in September, Tony Abbott. Plus, Antonia just doesn't 'sound' British to me.

I think it's fair to assume that they're unlikely to pick a name that's closely related to a current politician. I know we have Ed Milliband, but Edward has a sufficiently long and storied history in the BRF that it wouldn't be an issue. Plus, Ed Milliband is an irrelevance IMO.

I don't think the names of any politicians will even enter their heads in connection with naming their child. None of these names are particularly unusual, nor especially associated with one person. Such as Winston might be, for example.

Julius, Anthony and their variations are of course Roman in origin and have been used in Britain for two millennia. I think Julian or Julia would be splendid names for a royal July baby.

Julius, Anthony and their variations are of course Roman in origin and have been used in Britain for two millennia. I think Julian or Julia would be splendid names for a royal July baby.

Lord Fellowes would probably think the child was named after him because W&C were fans of Downton Abbey.:D

Well, it's getting ridiculous. If you rule out the names of everyone in the public eye for one reason or another, they'd be left with none at all.

Well, it's getting ridiculous. If you rule out the names of everyone in the public eye for one reason or another, they'd be left with none at all.

That's it! They'll leave the name of the child blank until he/she reaches majority and can decide for him/herself. Talk about breaking with tradition!

The child shall be Anonymous and known as Princess Nonnie. :bang:

That's it! They'll leave the name of the child blank until he/she reaches majority and can decide for him/herself. Talk about breaking with tradition!

The child shall be Anonymous and known as Princess Nonnie. :bang:

Or they could use a sign like "the artist formerly known as Prince" did. Of course that might cause the Archbishop of Canterbury some difficulty at the christening:lol:

I don't think the names of any politicians will even enter their heads in connection with naming their child. None of these names are particularly unusual, nor especially associated with one person. Such as Winston might be, for example.

Picking a name which is the same as very high profile current politicians, particularly a name such as Julia or Antonia which have no royal pedigree in this country, could well be interpreted (wrongly) as an indirect preference for that particular politician. Julia Gillard is often referred to simply as 'Julia' in Australia. The name has become synonymous with her as an individual.

I just feel that the RF are very, very conscious of their actions being regarded as indicative of political views. I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that either of those names would be picked anyway though.

Or they could use a sign like "the artist formerly known as Prince" did. Of course that might cause the Archbishop of Canterbury some difficulty at the christening:lol:

Ah... but a good time for a revival of Merlin's staff which he would wave denoting such symbol.

Would definitely start a new wave of how to communicate. EVERYONE would rush to buy a Baby Cambridge Christening Staff and adopt sigils for themselves.

OK.. I'm done. We return you now to the more sane ideas. :cool:

when I was young it was the tradition in the local churches to give one name to a child and let him or her choose the middle name at Confirmation. I suppose that is too dangerous, in case the prince or princess has a rebellious streak. But it's a compromise between Prince Nonnie and Prince Four Names.

I know that tradition Mariel and I thought it was Catholic - I chose Teresa of the Roses. I dont think this happens in the Anglican faith. Am I correct, anyone?

Picking a name which is the same as very high profile current politicians, particularly a name such as Julia or Antonia which have no royal pedigree in this country, could well be interpreted (wrongly) as an indirect preference for that particular politician. Julia Gillard is often referred to simply as 'Julia' in Australia. The name has become synonymous with her as an individual.

I just feel that the RF are very, very conscious of their actions being regarded as indicative of political views. I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that either of those names would be picked anyway though.

Apart from your last sentence, I couldn't disagree more. (Although I wouldn't write either of them off with such confidence.)

Julia Gillard is often referred to simply as 'Julia' in Australia. The name has become synonymous with her as an individual.
So what? I doubt if most people in the UK could even tell you the name of the Australian PM, it just wouldn't be on their radar. I know none of us could remember it when it cropped up as a quiz question recently.

I know that tradition Mariel and I thought it was Catholic - I chose Teresa of the Roses. I dont think this happens in the Anglican faith. Am I correct, anyone?

Raised RC and took the name Bernadette and got slapped for it by an archbishop even.

A lot of what one knows as RC is the very much the same practices in all Christian denominations without Rome. TBH, I was surprised to learn as a child that the "one, true religion" I was part of had the same prayers, hymns and people like me. :D

I do admire the fact that confirmation later on in life with the CoE is a personal decision. If I recall right, Kate was confirmed not long before her marriage.

I always thought it would be amusing if Victoria and Daniel named their daughter Bernadette. Bernadette Bernadotti. Maybe even with Benita as a middle name..

Last edited:
Osipi - :lol: I forgot about the slap from the Archbishop.

when I was young it was the tradition in the local churches to give one name to a child and let him or her choose the middle name at Confirmation. I suppose that is too dangerous, in case the prince or princess has a rebellious streak. But it's a compromise between Prince Nonnie and Prince Four Names.

I used to be Catholic (I grew out of it), and when I was 13 and confirmed into the Church, we took a "confirmation name", which was usually the name of saint that was connected to us in some way or we felt an affinity towards. My two best friends took Marie and Julia as their confirmation names, I took Theresa. It's not a legal name, but in the eyes of the Church, I'm still Elizabeth Alexandra Theresa (last name goes here). Elizabeth is my given name, Alexandra is my middle name (both given to me by my parents), and Theresa is my confirmation name.

I think Alexandra would be a lovely name for a girl. She could be called Lexi for short, a quite common modern name.

Princess Alexandra Mary Caroline Rose

I think Alexandra would be a lovely name for a girl. She could be called Lexi for short, a quite common modern name.

Princess Alexandra Mary Caroline Rose

I'm still hoping for Georgiana and Gia for short. :)

I think they will go for something traditional, but with a twist to it. William and Harrry were after all names with a bit of a twist when they came along. I also think that people are forgetting that British monarchs, except for the women, in recent history have not taken their own name when becomie monarch.

For those reasons I think the following names will be included, but not the first name: Elizabeth, Diana, Charles, George.

Possible names: Girls

Alice
Sophia
Charlotte
Isabella (Just maybe a bit of a twist on Elizabeth)
Christina
Madeleine
Alexandra
Florence
Grace
Emma
Clara
Josephine
Caroline
Amelia
Rose
Helena
Stephanie

But then again Eugenie was out of left field so who knows.

For the boys

Robert
Arthur
Richard
David (just maybe)
Harold
Ralph
Phillip (may actually be quite likely)
Theodore
Alexander
Matthew
Felix
Edmund
Christoper
Anton

Georgina is much nicer and less cumbersome. Also no uncertainty over pronunciation - I never understand how some people get Jor-JAY-na from Georgiana.

yah. I'd pronounce it as ge (as in gee whiz) or(as door without the d) giana as Jee Ann Ah. Gia as gee ah would work for short.

(ducks and runs for cover whistling "Georgie Girl"

I also think that people are forgetting that British monarchs, except for the women, in recent history have not taken their own name when becomie monarch.

George I - George Louis.
George II - George Augustus.
George III - George William Frederick.
George IV - George Augustus Frederick.
William IV - William Henry.
Edward VII - Albert Edward.
George V - George Frederick Ernest Albert.
Edward VIII - Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.
George VI - Albert Frederick Arthur George.

You are wrong. All the Kings in recent history have taken one of their names for Regnal Name. And only two of them didn't used he first name.

In my opinion, if the Prince of Wales decide to be know as King George VII (and I'll support him), he'll be the last British Monarch to do such a thing. The Duke of Cambridge will be King William V, and Baby Cambridge will regin using whatever his/her first name will be.

Last edited:
Cepe, Osipi, et al, I too chose Bernadette as my confirmation name, although I already had two other names. The priest wanted me to take Rose, but I liked St. Bernadette. Now I think I would choose Rose. The archbishop in my liberal neck of the woods did not slap people at confirmation, although that surely is a good symbolic dramatization of what life will probably have to offer.
It is my experience that certain liturgical Protestant churches also have confirmation names, but this may be local custom rather than universal. Churches like Episcopal and Lutheran (and some others which are surprisingly liturgical) do this but it may vary from place to place and maybe it's no longer practiced.

George I - George Louis.
George II - George Augustus.
George III - George William Frederick.
George IV - George Augustus Frederick.
William IV - William Henry.
Edward VII - Albert Edward.
George V - George Frederick Ernest Albert.
Edward VIII - Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.
George VI - Albert Frederick Arthur George.

You are wrong. All the Kings in recent history have taken one of their names for Regnal Name. And only two of them didn't used he first name.

In my opinion, if the Prince of Wales decide to be know as King George VII (and I'll support him), he'll be the last British Monarch to do such a thing. The Duke of Cambridge will be King William V, and Baby Cambridge will regin using whatever his/her first name will be.

Edward VIII went by David in his personal life, well at least within the family, and his sister's name was actually Victoria, but was known as Mary, her last name.

Out of all the Kings, and Queen, since Victoria, only two went by the name which they, and their family knew them as. Come to think of Victoria wasn't Victoria's first given name, but it was the name she was known as all her life.

We have no idea what Charles, William, or any future monarch will go as. It has been rumoured it will be be George though. As you say they can go for any of their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom