Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Girl:
Victoria Elizabeth Diana Carole

Boy:
George James Charles Michael

Godparents:prince Harry , Philippa Middleton , Peter Philips , Princess Beatrice

Edit: I don't think there have ever been twins in the direct line of succession in the BRF, have there?? With the association of hyperemesis gravidarum with twins, I'm hoping for such a situation!
Although twins were quite uncommon for the English, Scottish or British Royal Families (main lines, not extended), there were still a couple of them:

- Alexander Stewart, Duke of Rothesay and James II of Scotland
Alexander and James were the twin sons of James I of Scotland. Alexander was the elder twin but he died before his first birthday making James the heir (and eventually, the King).

- Harold and Ulf of England
Harold and Ulf were the (presumably) twin sons of Harold Godwinson and Edith of Mercia. After William the Conqueror seized the Throne, they lived their lives in exile and survived into adulthood.

- William IV and Queen Adelaide had twin boys born in 1824; the children were stillborn.

- Queen Anne likewise had stillborn twins (two sets, I think).

My guess for names NOT to be included are David (abdication crisis) and John (unlucky within the family from what I recall).

David is one of Harry's names, so I doubt they'd have anything against that name. Though I don't think it'll be the first name of a firstborn boy. I don't think they'll find room for it as a secondary name either, the firstborn boys/girls almost always have their entire name filled with family names.

Should on the off chance they have twins, what do you think the chances are of the twins being called Victoria and Albert? I rather doubt they'd do it, but it does kind of have a ring to it.

Just letting my fingers do the walking a bit this morning and checking out Prince Albert's full name, I discovered that actually his first christian name is Francis. His full name was Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emmanuel.

If the twins were named after Victoria and Albert then, it'd be

Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emmanuel
Alexandrina Victoria (with room for more middle names).

Should on the off chance they have twins, what do you think the chances are of the twins being called Victoria and Albert? I rather doubt they'd do it, but it does kind of have a ring to it.

Those are two names that do have a definite ring, perfect for royal babies.

I hope wonderful and healthy baby girl.

Girl baby name should be absolutely Diana.

and
Victoria, Frances, Elizabeth

baby boy
George, Arthur, Albert

godparents

Prince Harry
Princess Beatrice
Prince Pavlos of Greece
Pippa Middleton
James Middleton

is it true, the Queen has the final say on baby names? i am thinking this was said when William was born.

I'd love a King Henry IX or King Edward IX but I guess it's unlikely, same with George.
I'd go with Philip Arthur Francis Christian for a future King, and Elizabeth Caroline Frances.
Would be a wonderful tribute for the greatest servents of our country.

As for god parents, the Duke has 6 godparents so I'll go with the same number:
Prince Harry
Pippa
Hugh Van Custem
The Countess of Wessex
Peter Phillips
Crown Prince Pavlos

I've always liked the name Adelaide, and that would be a traditional, yet still unexpected choice. I think they're going to surprise us on the first name, but that it will still have some history behind it. .
'

Mary Adelaide Elizabeth Caroline

A nod to the last Princess of Cambridge

Elizabeth Frances Caroline Phillipa

for a boy

Michael Phillip Charles Peter

or

Phillip John Charles Michael

I cannot believe these people who want to saddle a little princess with the baggage of her grandmothers first name!!!

I think there would be far more baggage with Arthur or Diana than with Elizabeth!!

The main problem with Elizabeth is that the press would be certain to shorten it -not such an issue when the Queen was little as the press was so much more deferential

I cannot believe these people who want to saddle a little princess with the baggage of her grandmothers first name!!!

I don't see it as a saddle at all. On the contrary, both her great grandmother and Elizabeth I are the perfect namesakes for a future Queen regnant, and it's a deserved tribute to the Queen.

Well the babies grandmother would be Diana, do you mean that name or the name of the childs great grandmother Elizabeth?

Elizabeth needs to be retired for a few years I think.

Well the babies grandmother would be Diana, do you mean that name or the name of the childs great grandmother Elizabeth?

Elizabeth needs to be retired for a few years I think.
I think wymanda meant Diana (some of the contributers here suggested it as a first name) - and I completely agree with her. Beautiful as the name is, there is no need to put an immense burden of expectations on any daughter William and Kate will have. Diana as a middle name sounds great but as the first one - I sincerely hope not.

Alexandra on a girl would be nice. Queen Alexandra sounds very regal. Or Margaret, I would love if they called a daughter Margaret. It would be a nice tribute to both Scotland and Princess Margaret.

Arthur is nice for a boy.

:previous:

Margaret is my favourite (I mean, Queen Margaret II - how lovely does that sound?) but I doubt it will be a first name of the first daughter.
For the second one though, Margaret and Charlotte would be very likely choices.

Oh I love Alexandra too, probably my second favourite after Elizabeth. It's actually much easier to think of a female name, since many of the usual boy names are taken by cousins and uncles.

I agree. I don't think she will be Elizabeth or Diana, if it is a girl. Too much baggage. Alexandra, Mary or Margaret or perhaps Caroline, seem highly likely.

I for one, really hope they have a girl, and would love her to be called Matilda. This name has many royal connections in earlier years, including one of my favorite royals, Empress Matilda, who was denied the crown largely because she was a woman; how things have changed today. Plus, it means 'mighty in battle'; how awesome!

It's actually much easier to think of a female name, since many of the usual boy names are taken by cousins and uncles.

True! Why on earth did the Queen allow Edward to take James?
His son has virtually no chance of inheriting the throne, so any name would do for him. He didn't need a monarchial name!

If they eliminate all the kingly names already in use by male members of the RF, they can't use William, Henry, Charles, James, Edward, Richard, Alexander.

That leaves only George, Stephen, John...unless they pick one already in use.

It is much easier to select a female name.

I actually think Phillip would be nice for a boy, even though it's not been used as a monarchial name yet. I think a future King Philip I would be a lovely tribute to Prince Philip.

And the more I think about it, the more I love Amelia. Princess Amelia of Cambridge would be lovely.

I don't wish twins on the poor woman, considering that she's already in the hospital with what sounds like a rare, debilitating condition. Doctors say it can happen as easily with a singleton pregnancy.

It would be interesting if they choose a name that no one expects them to. Maybe things have eased up a bit since other royals just picked names they liked.

I actually think Phillip would be nice for a boy, even though it's not been used as a monarchial name yet. I think a future King Philip I would be a lovely tribute to Prince Philip.

Strictly speaking, Philip is a monarchical name: Philip of Spain (husband of Mary I of England) was not just Mary's consort but King Regnant of England, even if for the duration of their marriage only. That raises the issue of numerals for the next King named Philip (Philip I or II) and, given just how unpopular Mary and especially Philip were, it is an extremely unlikely name for any future King.

Last edited:
Let the fun begin.

My choices for a girl (which is my bet as it will be just to make the new laws of succession happen - and its about time)

1) Victoria
2) Mary
3) Elizabeth
4) Anne
5) Charlotte

For a boy

1) George
2) John
3) Richard (but I abhor the detractors no doubt would call him Prince Dick - I shudder at the thought)
4) James (so low because of the Viscount Severn)
5) Henry

Victoria would be superb and George a fitting tribute to HLM George VI, the child's great-great Grand father.

I am right there with you, although I think Diana will be in the name somewhere. Seeing how William gave Kate his mom's ring, I am sure he will opt for her name to be included.

I think its a no-brainer to expect Diana included. In fact I would be flabbergasted not to see it.

We could see something like : Mary Elizabeth Victoria Diana

(I don't think the queen would like her name next to Diana)

I predicted she was pregnant last week and this is my third royal prediction after Mary and Victoria! I think she will have a girl in July and my name prediction is:

Either Victoria or Elizabeth with the middle names Diana, Carole (or Caroline) and whichever name from above they don't choose.

If its a boy I think it will be George Charles Philip Michael but I would love Arthur

Godparents - Prince Harry, Pippa Middleton, Sophie Countess of Wessex, Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece and either Thomas van Strubenzee, a van Cutsem or Princess Beatrice

For girl: Elizabeth Diana Victoria
For boy: Henry Charles Philip

As goodparents:
Prince Harry, Michael Middleton, Pippa Middleton, Hugh and Rose van Cutsem

I think both of her syblings is one too many. My bet is on Michael Middleton, and remember this child will be a monarch, so I believe there will be at least one if not two Royal Godparents. I could see HRH Crown Princess Victoria or HRH Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark as God Father, maybe even both. I know that Frederick & William are friendly.

Nameberry.com has offered the following name suggestions. Boys: Albert, Alfred, Arthur, Frederick, George, Leopold, Philip; Girls: Alice, Caroline, Charlotte, Eleanor, Matilda, Maud, Victoria.

George might be a pretty likely choice since it's both a Greek and a British royal name and Frederick/Freddie is pretty popular right now in the UK. I can't see them picking Leopold. Matilda seems pretty unlikely but Maud is a recent royal name, though an ugly one, in my opinion.

I don't think they're likely to give the child a first name that is the name of any immediate relative, so no Elizabeth, Charles, Philip, Diana, etc. That seems to be decidedly out of fashion. I still think it will be Alice or Arthur, with the various grandparents' names as middle names. As far as godparents go, I would guess Prince Harry and Pippa Middleton and/or James Middleton as the sure bets and probably also members of their wedding party. Grandparents are traditionally never godparents, so none of the grandparents will be godparents.

Last edited:
Well, I think very traditional names will be used, but I do agree with some of the others that it would be nice for there to be one or two more unusual names used too.
For a girl, I think the first two names will be Victoria Elizabeth and for a boy, I think it would be Albert George (if so, he would undoubtably be nick-named Bertie in sone quarters!).
I imagine over the next few months I will change my mind!

With regard to Godparents, I think it would be nice if Zara or Peter were amongst them.

I never thought of that, but Albert (so they can use Bertie) is very possible. Albert George is very, very possible.

I think both of her syblings is one too many. My bet is on Michael Middleton, and remember this child will be a monarch, so I believe there will be at least one if not two Royal Godparents. I could see HRH Crown Princess Victoria or HRH Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark as God Father, maybe even both. I know that Frederick & William are friendly.

Michael Middleton is Kate's father, not brother. A royal as a godparent for their child is very unlikely bar the Greek ones. Take William as an example: his godparents are former King Constantine of Greece, Princess Alexandra (the Honourable Lady Ogilvy), the Duchess of Westminster, Lord Romsey, Sir Laurens van der Post, the Duchess of Westminster and Lady Susan Hussey. In other words, close family members and friends.

Artemisia said:
Strictly speaking, Philip is a monarchical name: Philip of Spain (husband of Mary I of England) was not just Mary's consort but King Regnant of England, even if for the duration of their marriage only. That raises the issue of numerals for the next King named Philip (Philip I or II) and, given just how unpopular Mary and especially Philip were, it is an extremely unlikely name for any future King.

From what I gather, he went by Philip II of Spain and was never known as Philip I of England, so any baby Philip would probably be the first.

Besides... That was nearly 500 years ago so I think that Philip's unpopularity no longer matters :)

I just think it would be nice, since Williams's
grandfather has been such an important part of his life and such a hardworking consort. It would be a lovely legacy for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom