The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

I personally doubt they're gonna use James. If there was just one James in the close family, I think it would have been more likely for them to use, but because there both are James Middleton and Viscount Severn, I think they'll steer clear of it, as a first name at least.

If they somehow are gonna incorporate Catherine's name in a girls name, I think it sounds great together with Frances. Matilda Elizabeth Catherine Frances or Matilda Elizabeth Frances Catherine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I know, but I believe a Danish Princess should have received a Danish-sound name.

"Athena Marguerite Françoise Marie." Not a single Danish name.
Princess Marie if French, Prince Joachim is part French, can you really blame them for giving a child who basically is 75% French, a French sounding name? I, for one, found the fact that they used Marguerite instead of Margrethe very refreshing, and Marie is a very, very common girls name in Denmark.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

What has any of this got to do with Baby Cambridge?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

Okay, I'll go with girl too!

Perfect name: Dale Leigh May Elle
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What has any of this got to do with Baby Cambridge?
Well, I would say that the first part of the post indeed has something to do with Baby Cambridge, however, I will agree with you that my reply to BrazilianEmpire is slightly irrelevant to the thread. I doubt a catastrophe will occur because of a few posts off-track though

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Aristocracy

For a girl, I would like to see Alice, Charlotte, Elizabeth, or Victoria. I like Phillip, George, Alexander, or James for a boy.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thanks for correcting me- that explains why Queen Victoria wasn't known as 'Victoria I.' Titles and styles is one of the topics of royalty that I don't fully understand.
It can get tricky! Especially when different countries have different traditions on the matter. I believe there's a thread somewhere on here about it.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Henry VIII's younger brother, the Prince of Wales, was named after King Arthur.
Arthur was not the younger brother, but the older brother of Henry.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Nobility

Slightly 'off the wall', but i like the idea of 'Alfred', as the first name {if the baby is a boy} Suitably Anglo-Saxon, and the name of perhaps our greatest pre-conquest king. Also the press can abreviate it {as they inevitably will} to 'Fred'...
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post
It can get tricky! Especially when different countries have different traditions on the matter. I believe there's a thread somewhere on here about it.
There are two threads about titles and styles :

Questions about British Styles and Titles
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...les-17155.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
How about Wilhelmina? After her father???
I like it! . Also, 'Queen Wilhelmina' does work because the Queen of the Netherlands during WWII was called Wilhelmina (she was also Beatrix's grandmother). How about: Wilhelmina Elizabeth Catherine Diana? I have noticed that some members think that it's a bit 'Dutch sounding,' and I agree, but William III of England was Dutch and his mother married William II, Prince of Orange (I do believe that she was originally an English Princess as she was the Princess Royal at the time). So it has an English meaning as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Hey, there's at least one princess in the Middle East named Sara/Sarah!
That's correct, I do believe that she's King Abdulah of Jordan's sister-in-law (she's married to Prince Faisal, who is Abdulah's brother). 'Princess Sara' also reminds me of the main charachter from the classic children's film/book A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which I used to love when I was younger.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wilhelmina is just not a British name. I know George, Victoria etc. aren't British names either, but they've been adopted here on a very big scale. 99% of the British public likely will never have heard of Queen Wilhelmina or know that William III was Dutch. Superficially, the name sounds German to me, which is certainly not what the royals want in a name, particularly of a future monarch.

Also, the name is just much, much too close to Wilhelm (naturally enough) which would conjure thoughts of Kaiser Wilhelm, who wouldn't exactly be a figure of affection in the UK, given WW1 etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

My aunt, and great aunt were nicknamed "Mina" (pronounced Meena). I don't think it would be a great British Queen name. My other aunt Ethelwyn had a better British royal name, evocative of the Anglo-Saxon period before the Norman conquest. Alfred, as stated in a post above, was the greatest pre-Conquest king of England, but I don't think the "Fred" diminutive will do well. We do have a GREAT theater singer, Alfie Boe, the greatest of the portrayers of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables (get the CD on the 25th anniversary presentation of Les Mis to see).
Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Arthur was not the younger brother, but the older brother of Henry.
Yeah, I know. I got confused.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Wilhelmina is just not a British name. I know George, Victoria etc. aren't British names either, but they've been adopted here on a very big scale. 99% of the British public likely will never have heard of Queen Wilhelmina or know that William III was Dutch. Superficially, the name sounds German to me, which is certainly not what the royals want in a name, particularly of a future monarch.

Also, the name is just much, much too close to Wilhelm (naturally enough) which would conjure thoughts of Kaiser Wilhelm, who wouldn't exactly be a figure of affection in the UK, given WW1 etc.
After repeating the name in my head a number of times, I agree with you .

I like Wilhelmina, but I doubt that they'll choose it. William and Catherine will probably choose a more traditional royal name for their first born, like Victoria, George, Elizabeth or Arthur. I'm still betting on Victoria or George for the first born, though.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think George is the likeliest choice for a boy. The last two Georges on the throne were much-loved monarchs, and also have many happy memories for the Queen. I think she especially would love to think of her great-grandson following in their footsteps.

I think I would ultimately love to see a Princess Elizabeth, if it's a girl. A tribute to HM and there'll be enough of a gap by the time she'd be reaching the throne, so there would be no confusion.

Much as I like Charlotte, it does bring Charlotte Church to mind, at least for me.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't see why, if the baby is a boy, he can't be named after his father- there were lots of Henrys, Georges, and Edwards in a row.
Why not two Williams?

And I really think if the baby's a girl they will choose Elizabeth.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't see why, if the baby is a boy, he can't be named after his father- there were lots of Henrys, Georges, and Edwards in a row.
Why not two Williams?

And I really think if the baby's a girl they will choose Elizabeth.
William is a beautiful name, and there's no problem to have Kings with the same name in a row (it's just a bit confusing).

But I don't think William will be the name if the baby is a boy. Certainly George or Edward.

And yes, for sure Elizabeth will be the name, if it's a girl.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think, nowadays, people would see William naming his son William as, kind of, tooting his own horn. By naming a child after a particular person, the parents are essentially honouring that person and paying tribute to them. I know it happened often in the past, but it would be seen as a bit odd for Kate and William to honour themselves in a sense. By all means have William or Catherine as a middle name, but not as the first name.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Nobility

I think George Charles William Micheal is a possibility. I think I stated the same aound page 1 of this string. LOL
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Courtier

How about George William Michael.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Part of me thinks George will be in the name line-up, but I do not think it was be the Christian name.

I am still up for Louis or Arthur as a Christian name. *fingers crossed*