The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I think some of you are forgetting this child will be the future monarch. Peter and Autumn Philips can name their daughters Savannah and Isla because they have no titles and will never be Queen. The idea of William and Catherine giving their child any name other than one that's been used by future monarchs in the past is just silliness. Modern names are nice, and can be very dignified, but you're not going to see a Queen Ashley or King Derek, no matter how popular those names might be.
I agree with this completely. While Zara and Peter - and Anne herself - may have all gone with less than traditional names, the bulk of the Windsor-Mountbattens (who are all much closer in line) have used very traditional names for their children. Asides from Peter and Zara, all of the grandchildren of HM have the names of former monarchs or princesses, and with the exception of Andrew (who was named for The DoE's father), all the Queen's children have the name of a former monarch. William's child is most likely going to have a traditional name as well - his or her first name will likely represent a former monarch's while their middle names are likely to represent family members and/or tradition. What's more is that Catherine's family seems to use traditional names as well. I think what's more likely to happen is that the child has a traditional name but a family nickname - one that may or may not be what they're referred to by the public.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I think some of you are forgetting this child will be the future monarch. Peter and Autumn Philips can name their daughters Savannah and Isla because they have no titles and will never be Queen. The idea of William and Catherine giving their child any name other than one that's been used by future monarchs in the past is just silliness. Modern names are nice, and can be very dignified, but you're not going to see a Queen Ashley or King Derek, no matter how popular those names might be.
You're right, of course, but as I said before, we can't go on and on about Elizabeth, Phillip, George and Victoria for the next 5 months, it's fun to have a little fun and see who gets it right.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=NGalitzine;1519362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
isnt i think a "modern" name is a name more in use today, taditional and old names usually are historical or not so common nowadays (but used to be in the past). well, just my thought.

QUOTE]

Actually I think traditional or old names are very much in vogue now. Other than footballers, pop stars and actors I don't know too many people who go for very oddball names for their children.
You're forgetting Sarah Palin. If she could name this baby she'd probably go with "Reign" for a boy and "Tiara" for a girl.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

Alice must not be forgotten. Many royal ladies, even if not Queen of England, have been Alice. Duchess of Gloucester and Prince Phillip's mother, to start. Also I believe royals pre-Norman conquest COULD appear, although perhaps not as likely.

I am not going to suggest four names in a row starting with Alice. We have gone around the foursome a lot.

Charlotte almost became Queen. If she had not died in childbirth, she would have been Queen and Alexandrine Victoria would never even have been born, as her birth was a royal command performance for the Duke of Kent, who left his long time partner (partner of decades, with probable several children, but who was Catholic) in order to marry the sister of Prince Leopold and produce an heir. Charlotte is deserves a second chance, although I am an Alice fan. The Alices have been inspiring or else eccentrically interesting, like Prince Phillip's mum who smoked up the halls of Buckingham palace and joined a religious order, after her husband deserted her. One has to be feisty to be an Alice, and the Princess needs feist.
I think it is a boy, with Gracie Giraffe, anyway. Timothy or Robert for me. Timothy was not a "royal" so that's out by the figuring of this thread, but Robert was several times over a King of Scotland. Scotland IS a close part of the UK so far...maybe King Robert would inspire loyalty? James is a very good name but is it OK to use when there is Viscount Severn? I think it is OK and it is very likely, in fact. Prince Jamie.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Courtier

For a boy I would like Philip Charles Michael William.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Philip'll be there for sure (if it's a boy), and I'd like to see Michael in there. I don't think they'll use Charles though - I think instead they'll pay tribute to William's father by using Arthur, as it's the middle name that both William and Charles have.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I think it is a boy, with Gracie Giraffe, anyway. Timothy or Robert for me. Timothy was not a "royal" so that's out by the figuring of this thread, but Robert was several times over a King of Scotland. Scotland IS a close part of the UK so far...maybe King Robert would inspire loyalty? James is a very good name but is it OK to use when there is Viscount Severn? I think it is OK and it is very likely, in fact. Prince Jamie.
The BRF have fallen into a habit of not using names that someone currently living has - the exception being Edward, who shares a name with the Duke of Kent. While I like "Prince Jamie," I wonder if this child is a bit too close in age to Viscount Severn - there's only a 5 or 6 year age difference (as opposed to a 30 years or so age difference between the Edwards).
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Gentry

Alright, jumping in here with some of my ideas. I am amongst the group that hopes if it is a little Princess they will not use the name Diana, but I do like the idea that has been previously suggested of using Frances to honor not only her, but also her late mother, William's grandmother. But I would not be at all surprised to see the name Diana amongst a Princess's names either.

Alice Elizabeth Caroline Louisa
Alice Louise Mary Elizabeth
Victoria Frances Philippa Elizabeth
Victoria Mary Elizabeth Margaret
Charlotte Elizabeth Anne Georgiana
Charlotte Louisa Margaret Rose
Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth Caroline
Alexandra Elizabeth Mary Frances
Mary Elizabeth Caroline Frances
Mary Alexandra Frances Elizabeth

George Arthur Michael Charles
George Charles Philip Michael
Arthur Philip Richard Louis
Arthur Michael George Philip

The boy names are so much harder to come up with because of how many are already in use within the family.

I'm not expecting them to surprise us, but after a few recent royal names, I wouldn't exactly be shocked if they did either.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

:Previous, I really like your name suggestions - especially Victoria Frances Philippa Elizabeth, Mary Elizabeth Caroline Frances, George Arthur Michael Charles, and George Philip Michael Charles, which I think nicely show both sides of the family and tradition.

I would also suggest:
George Philip Arthur Michael
Richard Arthur Philip Michael
Richard Louis Michael Arthur
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Here are some new combinations I've come up with:

Boy
Arthur Henry Richard George
George Albert Philip Edward

Girl
Alice Elizabeth Catherine Rose
Victoria Alexandrina Charlotte Mary

How about Alexandrina instead of Alexandra as a girl's middle name? We've had lots of members of the Royal Family with Alexandra as their name/middle name, and I'd like it if William and Catherine chose that name in honor of Queen Victoria (she was Alexandrina Victoria). The first born child IMO needs to have traditional names as they're going to be a monarch one day. So any Queen Tallulas or King Brandons wouldn't happen- IMO again. But could you imagine that?! . They also won't opt for any of the celebrity names; Jamie Oliver's son Buddy Bear sounds like the name of a character in a children's TV show . And Beyonce's daughter Blue Ivy sounds like the name of an air freshener or perfume. But then again, some Hanoverian names are coming back into fashion- Charlotte, Amelia, Sophia and Louisa for example. So they could choose one of those names, and it would also have a meaning to the BRF. Just my thoughts.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

i like your choices above, minus George. i dont know, but i dislike so much the name George and unfortunately is among one of the names that are likely to be used if the baby is a boy.

if its a girl, then a have no complain, i like all the names of the previous female monarchs (excluding Jane, even thought it doesnt sound regal, the person and the reign itself was a controversial one, so it will not be used), my favourites will always be Mary and Victoria, because Elizabeth and Anne are already in use.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Girl

HRH Princess Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole of Cambridge.

Boy

HRH Prince George Michael Philip Arthur of Cambridge.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Commoner

Now I think a better boy name:

Michael Philip Charles William!

This is lovely boy name. homage to before all men's, little boy's father - grandfathers and a great-grandfather. I imagine dark haired little boy, but his face Prince William-look. His smouth too!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
HRH Prince George Michael Philip Arthur of Cambridge.
Can't see the first two names in that order. Too much connection to a certain performer. Perhaps

George Phillip Arthur Michael Charles
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Nobility

I'm really banking on Charlotte for a girl, as it honors both Prince Charles and the deceased Princess Charlotte of Wales who almost became queen. I'd go with Edward for a boy, since it's a family name among the Windsors and would also be a nod to William's uncle, the Earl of Wessex.

Girl:
Charlotte Frances Elizabeth Mary

Boy:
Edward Arthur Philip James
Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Aristocracy

I think it's a girl - Alice Elizabeth Catherine Diana (or Frances) :)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Can't see the first two names in that order. Too much connection to a certain performer. Perhaps

George Phillip Arthur Michael Charles

Yeah, I completely forgot about George Michael.

Maybe Prince George Philip Arthur Michael of Cambridge. If it's a boy, I really believe he'll be the future King George VIII (as his grandfather will be George VII).

And the Royal Family has, currently, two Edwards, and I don't believe they are prepared for the prospect of another King Edward so soon.

But I'm betting in a girl for the Cambridges.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
i like your choices above, minus George. i dont know, but i dislike so much the name George and unfortunately is among one of the names that are likely to be used if the baby is a boy.

if its a girl, then a have no complain, i like all the names of the previous female monarchs (excluding Jane, even thought it doesnt sound regal, the person and the reign itself was a controversial one, so it will not be used), my favourites will always be Mary and Victoria, because Elizabeth and Anne are already in use.
I like all your favorite names too; and I also like Jane, but not as much as I like Victoria, Alexandra, Charlotte or Louise. They are very pretty names IMO. I myself quite like the name George, and wouldn't mind if it were used. However I would probably prefer to see a little Prince Arthur.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I like all your favorite names too; and I also like Jane, but not as much as I like Victoria, Alexandra, Charlotte or Louise. They are very pretty names IMO. I myself quite like the name George, and wouldn't mind if it were used. However I would probably prefer to see a little Prince Arthur.
I always had a question about naming a future King of the United Kingdom Arthur.

And maybe this is an extraordinary silly question. But I have to ask:

He'll be just King Arthur or Arthur II?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

There has never been a king Arthur who was king of the entire country.

King Arthur is generally thought to be a fictional character, however some historians believe that the tales of a warrior king might date back to ancient Britain, some say pre Roman.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread