The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I heard the same story regarding Annabel for Beatrice. It was reported that the Queen thought it too "Yuppy." I also heard Beatrice narrowly beat out Charlotte for final choice.

Annabel is also the name of Camilla's little sister, so I don't think that has much possibility.

If it's a "new" name introduced, it will really be an old name, dusted off.
I'd like to see "Cecilia" or possibly Cecily or Adela. These were names of the daughters of Henry the Conqueror. He also had a daughter named Agatha, but hopefully that one does not reappear.
I like Cecily quite a lot, actually. I haven't heard that name in a long time. Cecily Amelia sounds really nice.
__________________

__________________
  #642  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
I love the name but think the BRF would move towards Cecile which was the name of Prince Phillips sister Princess Cecile of Greece & Denmark, Grand Duchess of Hesse who was killed in a plane crash along with all of her family except one daughter who had remained at home.

What about Alice Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie
__________________

__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
  #643  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I love the name but think the BRF would move towards Cecile which was the name of Prince Phillips sister Princess Cecile of Greece & Denmark, Grand Duchess of Hesse who was killed in a plane crash along with all of her family except one daughter who had remained at home.

What about Alice Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie
You're right about Cecile the Nazi aunt. This is why "Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie" would never be used - that's all the Nazi aunts, I believe.
__________________
  #644  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
You're right about Cecile the Nazi aunt. This is why "Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie" would never be used - that's all the Nazi aunts, I believe.
There is no proof that Cecile or her husband Georg Donatus were members of the Nazi party. They died in 1937 en route to London.

All of the Duke of Edinburgh's sisters and their families were welcome at Buckingham Palace for many many years after the Coronation in 1953. Given the fact that most people would struggle to know that HRH had 4 sisters let alone the fact that one of them died so tragically, I fail to see why any or all of the names could not be used to honour the Greek-Battenburg family. After all, this family gave us the longest serving Royal Consort in history.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
  #645  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,685
Princess Sophie (Philip's sister) is one of Prince Edward's godmothers so that is another sign that Philip's sisters were all welcome at Buckingham Palace.
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
  #646  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,808


The Duke of Edinburgh at 90: a tragic childhood - Telegraph


I don't believe any of Phillip's sisters will be honored in the child's name, but I do think his mother Alice will be.
__________________
  #647  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post


The Duke of Edinburgh at 90: a tragic childhood - Telegraph


I don't believe any of Phillip's sisters will be honored in the child's name, but I do think his mother Alice will be.
I can't imagine any of his sister's names will be used, except for perhaps Sophie but that would likely be related to The Countess of Wessex if it is selected.

I can see Alice being used as both Anne and Lady Louise have Alice in their names. (Anne is Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise and Lady Louise is Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary, pretty much the same name except for Anne and Mary.)
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
  #648  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
Or the name of a contestant in a toddler beauty pageant...
Yes, it does.

Honey Boo-Boo's real name is Alana. Perhaps we will see that in the name... or not.....

I was thinking of some other combined names:
Both Grandmas: Cardiana (it does sound like a sweater designer, however)
Diacarole (sounds like a continental dessert)
The Queen and Diana; Dianabeth (little known twin of Annabeth Gish?)
Eliziana (sounds like all things having to do with
this Queen's reign

Elizamariannetoria; All Queens of England combined. Very regal, indeed. Why give her a string of names, just pop it all into one.

Elizamariannetoria Regina
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #649  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,034
Wymanda, you come up with graceful combinations of names which sound well when spoken. The names you chose on this page, and on others, are like a faceted gem when put together.
Most of us are mad for Alice! So whatever goes with Alice.... it has such wide usage in the royal family. We should have a contest: If Alice is the first name, what is a second name to go with it and sound great? I think Alice Diana sounds acceptable even though I am not a fan of the name Diana for a royal princess. Alice-Anne Sophia sounds French, which I like, and I think it is time to honor the Princess Royal.

If it's a boy, a novel thought would be to honor Tim Laurence, the patient and intelligent spouse of Princess Anne. Somewhere in the four names, Timothy. Sophie Wessex and Edward could stand some honoring, as well, for their gracious service and style.
Henry Charles Edward Timothy?
__________________
  #650  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Wymanda, you come up with graceful combinations of names which sound well when spoken. The names you chose on this page, and on others, are like a faceted gem when put together.
Most of us are mad for Alice! So whatever goes with Alice.... it has such wide usage in the royal family. We should have a contest: If Alice is the first name, what is a second name to go with it and sound great? I think Alice Diana sounds acceptable even though I am not a fan of the name Diana for a royal princess. Alice-Anne Sophia sounds French, which I like, and I think it is time to honor the Princess Royal.

If it's a boy, a novel thought would be to honor Tim Laurence, the patient and intelligent spouse of Princess Anne. Somewhere in the four names, Timothy. Sophie Wessex and Edward could stand some honoring, as well, for their gracious service and style.
Henry Charles Edward Timothy?
A resounding yes for Timothy. It does noticeably leave out the Yorks, however.....
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #651  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
George Timothy Phillip Andrew Michael
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
  #652  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,093
Timothy would be a sweet homage to Tim Laurence.
George Timothy Arthur Michael
Arthur George Timothy Michael
Alexander George Timothy Arthur
__________________
"Blessed be god, the king, the queen and all our sweet children be in good health."
— Lady Margaret Beaufort, April 1497

  #653  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Well, an Artemis(ia) here certainly likes those choices.
However, I would be extremely shocked if Diana isn't one of the names.
I would think it's extremely unlikely that either Diana or Frances will be used, if the baby is a girl.
Caroline, Charlotte, Alice or Mary are likely to be used - and Elizabeth or Victoria will be in there somewhere.
For a boy, George, Philip or Henry must be there.
__________________
  #654  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,421


The names you mentioned are indeed very likely first-name candidates. However, William has already made it quite apparent he wants to honour his mother's memory so I would be very surprised if Diana isn't among the names of his first-born daughter. Of course, I could be completely wrong.
  #655  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,034
Gracie, cannot name baby after EVERY member of the royal family! Nor can every member of RF be godparents. I just named some couples who have been known for long and gracious service. I know some of those European goth-people have historically been attaching names a mile long to some babies, ten or more names I've seen.

Carole Middleton's name could figure in their second child's names, girl or boy, if Catherine can be persuaded to have another after the HG effect. Carol is a good man's name; my brother in law had it and I always liked it. He swam for the US Olympic team many years ago.

This child may be their only one. I would not blame Catherine if she does not have another after the MG. I have read that it usually occurs in subsequent pregnancies, but I don't know the statistics. Harry can have the "spare".
__________________
  #656  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Gracie, cannot name baby after EVERY member of the royal family! Nor can every member of RF be godparents. I just named some couples who have been known for long and gracious service. I know some of those European goth-people have historically been attaching names a mile long to some babies, ten or more names I've seen.

Carole Middleton's name could figure in their second child's names, girl or boy, if Catherine can be persuaded to have another after the HG effect. Carol is a good man's name; my brother in law had it and I always liked it. He swam for the US Olympic team many years ago.

This child may be their only one. I would not blame Catherine if she does not have another after the MG. I have read that it usually occurs in subsequent pregnancies, but I don't know the statistics. Harry can have the "spare".
Oh, I'm not criticizing your selections, Mariel!

I like the suggestion of Timothy. Completely traditional, but new, and honors someone who deserved it.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #657  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post


The names you mentioned are indeed very likely first-name candidates. However, William has already made it quite apparent he wants to honour his mother's memory so I would be very surprised if Diana isn't among the names of his first-born daughter. Of course, I could be completely wrong.
I'm still convinced that, while William will wish to honour his mother, it will be with her second name Frances as this would also honour his maternal "Granny Frances".
I suggested your name Artemis as it is another name for the Huntress goddess and would be less obvious than Diana.
There are also the Spencer family names of Sarah & Jane which could be used.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
  #658  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,808
How about Geoffrey for a boy? Traditional, British, and sounds very close to Giraffe.

Geoffrey Charles Phillip Michael.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #659  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,034
We have a list of names which could be, so at this point we are sort of having to wait. Wouldn't it be a kick if the RF name-mavens were actually reading this forum and got some ideas from us? I'm sure they have their own ideas which we may not even have thought of.
I'm glad you like Tim as a name, Gracie. As you say, new and yet traditional. Perfect in other words. I'm not sure what royal connotations Geoffrey has (haven't heard them) other than it's notable connection to Giraffe, which is a point in its favor. Is it a Crusader name (think it is).
Crusader names are probably not pc at the moment.
__________________
  #660  
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Meraude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I like old anglo-saxon names for a royal. Edwina. Sound archaic but it is from the anglo-saxon past.
Ethelwyn. Edward is great but it's in use.
Why nor Edmund, a king Edmund IV of the United Kingdom, after two English and one Scottish kings.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HRH Duke Carlos Javier (1970- ) and the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma: August 2010- Warren Royal Families of Italy 222 12-05-2014 03:23 AM
Potential Names and Godparents for Zara Phillips Tindall and Mike Tindall First Child Zonk The Princess Royal and Family 110 06-05-2014 04:47 AM
Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 3615 07-22-2013 02:30 AM
Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby principessa Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 390 07-26-2009 11:56 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]