The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 AM
Majesty

We have had Henrietta-Maria in the past, as a Queen Consort - wife of Charles I.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
... Quick question, has anytime ever guessed any royal baby name in the last 8years? ...
Yes. Josephine was one of my guesses for the Danish royal twins and I also guessed that Princess Ingrid of Norway would be called Ingrid (though I didn't see Alexandra coming). Also wasn't there someone who suggested Estelle, or is that just me remembering wrong?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Quick question, has anytime ever guessed any royal baby name in the last 8years?
I guessed Infanta Sofia of Spain She's named after her paternal grandmother
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Gentry

It would be nice to see the BRF include a (non-Greek) royal as a godparent, maybe a Norwegian royal (like Haakon) since they seem to be most-closely related to the BRF of the reigning royal families. I could see them not going with any foreign royalty (Greek or otherwise) at all, though.

Anyway, here's what I would like to see as a *first* name ranked from what I personally like the most to what I like the least, the child's future regnal number I'll also comment on the chances.

Boy:
Richard (I don't see it as too conflicting with the other Prince Richard, their lifespans are unlikely to overlap that much. But it's a longshot. I like it though.)
Charles (could be known as "Charlie" or something)
William (don't know the likelihood of repeating names so closely anymore)
Henry (Don't think it would present too much confusion since the other Henry, as we all know, is Harry :P)
Edward (...but I just don't see it happening with two Prince Edwards)
Philip (The only issue I could see is a numbering issue for the future monarch. Would they count Mary I's husband, since he was "King"?)
Michael (Real longshot but it's not a bad name and pretty traditional, maybe not for the BRF, but royalty in general)
George (Most likely, IMO, but probably my least favorite of the "traditional" names)

Girl:
Elizabeth (Obvious choice, and if the baby is female, my #1 choice)
Anne (second favorite choice, Anne II has a nice ring to it)
Victoria (I don't know if they would "go there", but I don't think QV would have been that opposed, after all, she named her eldest child Victoria, and she could have ended up queen if QV stopped at one :P)
Charlotte (could have negative connotations, but it's a nice name and would be a departure from traditional female British monarch names. Would also honor Charles)
Caroline (another nice name that would honor Carole Middleton as well as Charles)
Catherine (not a "traditional" BRF name, however, it sounds quite royal and would be different enough from "Kate" to work. I believe the child would also be a descendant of Catherine the Great.)
Philippa (nice way to honor both the DoE and Kate's sister, and "Princess Philippa of Cambridge"/"Queen Philippa" has a nice ring to it)
Sophia (Sophia of Hanover is the ancestress to everyone in the line of succession, so why not?)
Alexandra (obvious reasons)
Louise (traditional name)
Margaret (nice name, would honor William's great aunt)
Mary (not a favorite, though "Mary III" wouldn't be the worst)
Alice (a possibility, but not my favorite. Not modern sounding enough.)

I think there's much more room to go "non-traditional" (i.e. something not used by a British monarch) for obvious reasons, since there have been fewer female monarchs therefore fewer female names to choose from. I also don't think "Diana" will be used as a first name but I could see it as a middle name.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Serene Highness

Today I read what the name "Irene" means: Peace, calm. That sounds regal. I believe it was in the Greek royal family, but why should that rule it out, Monarchist?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Today I read what the name "Irene" means: Peace, calm. That sounds regal. I believe it was in the Greek royal family, but why should that rule it out, Monarchist?
Irene is not a bad choice! My list were just some ideas/choices, not a definitive list, lol. Unless I'm secretly Will or Kate pretending to be in the US.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post
It would be nice to see the BRF include a (non-Greek) royal as a godparent, maybe a Norwegian royal (like Haakon) since they seem to be most-closely related to the BRF of the reigning royal families. I could see them not going with any foreign royalty (Greek or otherwise) at all, though.

Anyway, here's what I would like to see as a *first* name ranked from what I personally like the most to what I like the least, the child's future regnal number I'll also comment on the chances.

Boy:
Richard (I don't see it as too conflicting with the other Prince Richard, their lifespans are unlikely to overlap that much. But it's a longshot. I like it though.)
Charles (could be known as "Charlie" or something)
William (don't know the likelihood of repeating names so closely anymore)
Henry (Don't think it would present too much confusion since the other Henry, as we all know, is Harry :P)
Edward (...but I just don't see it happening with two Prince Edwards)
Philip (The only issue I could see is a numbering issue for the future monarch. Would they count Mary I's husband, since he was "King"?)
Michael (Real longshot but it's not a bad name and pretty traditional, maybe not for the BRF, but royalty in general)
George (Most likely, IMO, but probably my least favorite of the "traditional" names)

Girl:
Elizabeth (Obvious choice, and if the baby is female, my #1 choice)
Anne (second favorite choice, Anne II has a nice ring to it)
Victoria (I don't know if they would "go there", but I don't think QV would have been that opposed, after all, she named her eldest child Victoria, and she could have ended up queen if QV stopped at one :P)
Charlotte (could have negative connotations, but it's a nice name and would be a departure from traditional female British monarch names. Would also honor Charles)
Caroline (another nice name that would honor Carole Middleton as well as Charles)
Catherine (not a "traditional" BRF name, however, it sounds quite royal and would be different enough from "Kate" to work. I believe the child would also be a descendant of Catherine the Great.)
Philippa (nice way to honor both the DoE and Kate's sister, and "Princess Philippa of Cambridge"/"Queen Philippa" has a nice ring to it)
Sophia (Sophia of Hanover is the ancestress to everyone in the line of succession, so why not?)
Alexandra (obvious reasons)
Louise (traditional name)
Margaret (nice name, would honor William's great aunt)
Mary (not a favorite, though "Mary III" wouldn't be the worst)
Alice (a possibility, but not my favorite. Not modern sounding enough.)

I think there's much more room to go "non-traditional" (i.e. something not used by a British monarch) for obvious reasons, since there have been fewer female monarchs therefore fewer female names to choose from. I also don't think "Diana" will be used as a first name but I could see it as a middle name.
I can't see Edward, Louise or Sophia being used as there are already two Prince Edward's, Lady Louise and The Countess of Wessex. I can see Sophie being a middle name for a girl, particularly if Sophie is used as a Godmother. I really like the idea of Charlotte as it has not been used for such a long time. I had thought Edward and Sophie would have used Charlotte but then they brought out the old-faithful Louise, so Charlotte is up for grabs! I can definitely see Elizabeth in there, as well as Philip or Charles if it is a boy but I cannot see them being used as Christian's name. I imagine it will be a modern, yet traditional Christian name.

Alexander and Arthur are my favourites, but we will probably never guess the name.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Courtier

Aw so sweet! I'm not sure about Faye too but I think Annabel would be a wonderful choice! Baby Bella
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Serene Highness

What about

Caroline Charlotte Artemis Michaella
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Well, an Artemis(ia) here certainly likes those choices.
However, I would be extremely shocked if Diana isn't one of the names.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Royal Highness

Well, we had a Diana, now we have an Athena over in Denmark. Why not Artemis? We all once believed kings were demi-gods.

If Leonor in Spain one day has a first born son, she might consider naming him Jesus, skipping over the "demi" bit all together.

A common name among Amish boys is Christ. Perhaps Will and Kate would consider it for their little first-born lad. I wonder if Kate would have a penchant for dressing him in black pants, button down shirts and suspenders. Would he have a strong aversion to cars, and instead prefer the horse drawn carriages on state occasions? I'll send him some shoo-fly pie.

I might email SJP and suggest the name "Zeus." Marvelous name for a boy. His little cousin Xan can come over and they can play with their train sets.

Be forewarned in critiquing this posts. Those gods have no sense of humor, most particularly Zeus.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

I agree

Victoria Elizabeth Diana Mary
Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Just thinking outside the box. Artemis being the Greek equivalent of Diana. It would be a tribute that wasn't "hit you in the face obvious" but there for those who chose to look. It being subtle would mean that the gutter press might miss it!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Serene Highness

For a girl: I love Charlotte, Caroline, Anabelle and Sophia the most.
For a boy: I love Michael, Philip, Lucus and Henry the most.
I know it isn't going to happen but I would love to see a "shocker" name like Estelle, Athena, Jospephine, Vincent, Sverre, Alexis and Arianne. I think the British Royal family needs an infux of some "new" names.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Serene Highness

Rebafan81 I agree! Influx of newer names would be great. Resurrection of some old or even old old names could become "new". In your list, I especially like Lucus and Anabelle as "newer" names, but does Anabelle have any royal background? Lucus would be a wonderful Christian name for a boy but it is hard to pronounce nicely with the "s" on the end. I think Estelle was a great name for the Swedish princess, because it honored a little-honored ancestress. I do not like the "greek god or goddess" names, think Athena is not too great unless it would be for a Greek princess. Josephine is a great use of an older name. Michael would be great to honor Kate's father but perhaps it sounds too Russian or Slavic because those guys used the name the most for their royals....not that Michael Middleton is in any way Slavic.
Some how I don't wrap my "sound filter" around Philip because of the "ip" on the end. I usually say the names out loud to see if I like their sound. Henry has a very good sound.
I like old anglo-saxon names for a royal. Edwina. Sound archaic but it is from the anglo-saxon past.
Ethelwyn. Edward is great but it's in use.
I've heard the names of Irish saints are not allowed (opinion on TRF) but there are some neat ones, like Aidan.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Rebafan81 I agree! Influx of newer names would be great. Resurrection of some old or even old old names could become "new". In your list, I especially like Lucus and Anabelle as "newer" names, but does Anabelle have any royal background? .
It was reported when Princess Beatrice was born that her parents had wanted to name her Annabel, but that the Queen rejected the name. I don't know if the story was ever confirmed, but if it's true, it makes it highly unlikely as a choice for William and Kate.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
For a girl: I love Charlotte, Caroline, Anabelle and Sophia the most.
For a boy: I love Michael, Philip, Lucus and Henry the most.
I know it isn't going to happen but I would love to see a "shocker" name like Estelle, Athena, Jospephine, Vincent, Sverre, Alexis and Arianne. I think the British Royal family needs an infux of some "new" names.
Along those lines, its possible that William and Kate could come up with something unique, sound regal and honor William's mother without putting the full blunt of her name on the child. Something like Geordiana.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

I heard the same story regarding Annabel for Beatrice. It was reported that the Queen thought it too "Yuppy." I also heard Beatrice narrowly beat out Charlotte for final choice.

Annabel is also the name of Camilla's little sister, so I don't think that has much possibility.

If it's a "new" name introduced, it will really be an old name, dusted off.
I'd like to see "Cecilia" or possibly Cecily or Adela. These were names of the daughters of Henry the Conqueror. He also had a daughter named Agatha, but hopefully that one does not reappear.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Along those lines, its possible that William and Kate could come up with something unique, sound regal and honor William's mother without putting the full blunt of her name on the child. Something like Geordiana.
Oh, good Lord!

Sounds like a dress designer from Milan.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Oh, good Lord!

Sounds like a dress designer from Milan.
Or the name of a contestant in a toddler beauty pageant...