Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope for Alice-a charming,beautiful name with a good sound that also goes well with a "Queen" in front of it :)

I hope they don't use Diana's name at all, if the child is a girl. There's too many comparisons already between Catherine and her late mother-in-law, the absolute last thing they should do is foist those comparisons on to their newborn child, a child who will be monarch one day. There are far better ways I feel, to honor Diana's legacy and dreams/hopes/aspirations, than to do that. In fact, I'd love it if they chose names that don't reference anyone recent in either of their families. No Elizabeths, no Catherines, no Caroles, nothing like that.

Victoria, Alice, Charlotte, Caroline, Mary, and Alexandra are all names I'd like to see them use. Obviously not every single one of them, since the names usually top out at 3-4, but some combination.

Charlotte Alice Victoria Mary sounds very good to me.

I like that combination you suggested, and while agree that child should have his/her own name and not the name of a living or recently living relative as a first name (Charles, Elizabeth, Diana, etc), I don't think that will happen. I am truly certain that Will will honor his mother by using her first name somewhere in the combination. And to not have "Elizabeth" will be seen as a snub that will be commented upon over and over and over and over in ever internet forum ever created, until we are all driven mad. Come to think of it, to not honor Diana would create the same havoc.

For a girl, I see one of the following:

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Caroline
Alice Elizabeth Diana Caroline (also honors Phillip's mother Alice)
Mary Elizabeth Diana Caroline
Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline

I'm sure Diana will be in the child's name (if female). I have thought about this and I don't think it will matter either way if they name her or call her Diana. It has taken me quite a while to get over the "Diana Factor". The woman was the father's mother and there is no reason at all for him not to include the name Diana in his child's name.

I like that combination you suggested, and while agree that child should have his/her own name and not the name of a living or recently living relative as a first name (Charles, Elizabeth, Diana, etc), I don't think that will happen. For a girl, I see one of the following:

I think the same about Diana & I love all of your name suggestions.They are all very pretty sounding and regal,the only one I would rule out is Mary because there already is a Mary in Denmark who will be Queen after Margarethe abdicated/dies.(Which I hope will be many,many years from now because I appreciate her a lot & wish her a good life with health+happiness.)I would love a name that is not so much in use and stands out from the crowds-a unique,charming,elegant name.

Yes, Prince Faisal current wife is called Sara, and one of his daughters is called Sara as well. And in Brunei, the wife of Crown Prince Billah is called Princess Sarah, one day she'll be Queen Sarah! I love that name, but not suited for the Cambridges first baby, maybe as a second child but definately not a first.

I never knew she had a daughter who shared her name, thank you for the info :flowers:. Sara/Sarah is a lovely name IMO. Personally I prefer the variant 'Sara' instead of the other variant of Sarah.

I'm wondering on something, can William and Catherine surprise us all with an unique name? I know the British are more traditional and especially with a future monarch's name, but we all said Victoria and Daniel will give a traditional name to their first child and we were all so sure, but in the end they surprised everyone with Estelle

They might surprise us like Victoria and Daniel did (I was also betting on traditional names for Estelle), but I think that William and Catherine will choose a traditional name for their first born like Victoria or George (I said this in an earlier post too). But you never know, maybe they will surprise us! ;)

I also love the name Sophia Charlotte, and yesterday I came up with a nice combination: Sophia Charlotte Adelaide Elizabeth. There was a Queen Adelaide in the Regency Period, and it was also Queen Mary's mother's name (she was Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck). I think it's a nice name and IMO, it goes well with Charlotte. So, here are my baby name thoughts so far:

Princess
Helena Catherine Alberta Elizabeth
Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria
Alice Elizabeth Catherine Rose
Wilhelmina Elizabeth Catherine Diana*
Sophia Charlotte Adelaide Elizabeth

*=I think this name combination is less likely than some of the others, as much as I like Wilhelmina; but I have a feeling that they won't opt for the name. But you just never know!

Prince
George William Charles Henry
George Albert Philip Charles
Arthur Henry Richard George

For me, it's easier to come up with girl's names instead of boys. Like other posters here, I like James, and I agree about the fact that Baby Cambridge will be quite close (age wise) to Viscount Severn. I've noticed that Catherine and the Wessexes have a nice bond with each other, so it might get a bit confusing with two James's in the family!

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: The Gloucesters definitely have been ... creative. Rufus is the most sane name out of that bunch (though to be fair, I don't think Senna is bad and Cosima, though sounding slightly pretentious, could have been worse too).

I can't believe that nobody told them that Senna is a laxative :ermm:

I can't believe that nobody told them that Senna is a laxative :ermm:

Senna was also the surname of one of the worlds greatest and most legendary racing drivers, Ayrton Senna. Could be that Davina and her husband are big Formula One fans?

I'm sure Diana will be in the child's name (if female). I have thought about this and I don't think it will matter either way if they name her or call her Diana. It has taken me quite a while to get over the "Diana Factor". The woman was the father's mother and there is no reason at all for him not to include the name Diana in his child's name.

I agree; Will's daughter will have his late mother's name among the mix. Period. And not her middle name. She was his mother, no matter what anyone else thinks of her.

To the peers of this child and even those 20 years older than this child, the name Diana carries no connotations, positive or negative.

I think the same about Diana & I love all of your name suggestions.They are all very pretty sounding and regal,the only one I would rule out is Mary because there already is a Mary in Denmark who will be Queen after Margarethe abdicated/dies.(Which I hope will be many,many years from now because I appreciate her a lot & wish her a good life with health+happiness.)I would love a name that is not so much in use and stands out from the crowds-a unique,charming,elegant name.
I don't think anyone in the UK would care at all that Mary is the name of the wife of the Danish Crown Prince or that Victoria is the name of the Crown Princess of Sweden if W & C chose to give a daughter either of those names. It wouldn't confuse us at all.

And if they choose Elizabeth as the first name, then one day there will be two queen Elizabeth/Elisabeth suo jure.

I think the same about Diana & I love all of your name suggestions.They are all very pretty sounding and regal,the only one I would rule out is Mary because there already is a Mary in Denmark who will be Queen after Margarethe abdicated/dies.

99% of the British public probably don't know Princess Mary exists. There's very, very little coverage of foreign royals in the British press, so I can't imagine that the fact that a Danish royal has the same name would bother them.

If I'm wrong and Mary is out because of the Danish princess, then Victoria would be out also. There's even an Elisabeth in Belgium which, if we think William and Kate will avoid names of other future monarchs in Europe, might kibosh Elizabeth too.

Re: Diana as a name for a girl. I genuinely thought neither William nor Harry would dream of giving their future wives Diana's engagement ring. I was truly shocked when it actually happened, so while I doubt that Diana would be a first name, I wouldn't rule it out entirely (less likely if their first child is a girl, as opposed to a second daughter). It'll be in there somewhere, though.

Last edited:
Alfred is an interesting suggestion. At the moment, Alfie is a very popular name here in England, though how many of them are being registered as Alfred rather than just Alfie, I don't know.

If we were to have a future King Alfred, he would in my mind be Alfred II since (unlike King Arthur) Alfred the Great certainly did exist. However he was, of course, not King of England but King of Wessex. So a new Alfred would technically be Alfred the First. That just seems all wrong! So I don't think they would choose Alfred! Shame though. :sad:

Charlotte would be a lovely choice for a girl, and being a derivative of Charles would be an acknowledgement of her grandfather Charles and grandmother Carole. We so very nearly had a reigning Queen Charlotte (and have had a queen consort), but I do not think they will choose this name because it may be seen as unlucky because of Princess Charlotte's untimely death.

I am afraid the RF are still superstitious about these things. If they weren't, I feel sure that William would have taken the Dukedom of Clarence rather than Cambridge, as there were some nice links with William IV and Clarence House. Again the premature death of the last Duke will have put them off using it.

99% of the British public probably don't know Princess Mary exists. There's very, very little coverage of foreign royals in the British press, so I can't imagine that the fact that a Danish royal has the same name would bother them.

If I'm wrong and Mary is out because of the Danish princess, then Victoria would be out also. There's even an Elisabeth in Belgium which, if we think William and Kate will avoid names of other future monarchs in Europe, might kibosh Elizabeth too.

And Catherine too. Because of the Dutch princes Catharina-Amalia. ;-)

Re: Diana as a name for a girl. I genuinely thought neither William nor Harry would dream of giving their future wives Diana's engagement ring. I was truly shocked when it actually happened, so while I doubt that Diana would be a first name, I wouldn't rule it out entirely (less likely if their first child is a girl, as opposed to a second daughter). It'll be in there somewhere, though.

To be honest, I never expected the use of the ring for William's fiancee also but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that William and Harry don't see Diana the way most of the public do. For better or worse, this is their beloved mother and now I'd be really surprised if they did stay away from anything Diana because of "associations" it might bring. Although there hasn't been much publicity of how the boys or the rest of the BRF remembers Diana, I do think that part of their lives are private and they wish it to remain that way.

It very well might be possible that a baby girl will be named Diana. Charles and Diana wanted a girl named Victoria so maybe even Victoria Diana. I'm leaning though towards Will and Kate giving their daughter or son a name unique to his/herself. This baby will be one of the most watched personages as it grows up and deserves to be looked at as unique. This is one reason I kind of like the name Georgianna for a girl. It'll be uniquely hers as Estelle is to Victoria and Daniel's little star. :D

To be honest, I never expected the use of the ring for William's fiancee also but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that William and Harry don't see Diana the way most of the public do. For better or worse, this is their beloved mother and now I'd be really surprised if they did stay away from anything Diana because of "associations" it might bring. Although there hasn't been much publicity of how the boys or the rest of the BRF remembers Diana, I do think that part of their lives are private and they wish it to remain that way.

It very well might be possible that a baby girl will be named Diana. Charles and Diana wanted a girl named Victoria so maybe even Victoria Diana. I'm leaning though towards Will and Kate giving their daughter or son a name unique to his/herself. This baby will be one of the most watched personages as it grows up and deserves to be looked at as unique. This is one reason I kind of like the name Georgianna for a girl. It'll be uniquely hers as Estelle is to Victoria and Daniel's little star. :D

Spot on, IMO. (And we giraffes know about spots).

Spot on, IMO. (And we giraffes know about spots).

I'm an old goat and get easily confused which is why I actually contradicted myself in my last post. Whether it be an unique name, mother's name, traditional regnal name or something totally off the wall like Dale Lee May Elle (gads that was soooo good) its keeping us guessing till we see the stork or Will and Kate take a trip to the cabbage patch. :D

I like that combination you suggested, and while agree that child should have his/her own name and not the name of a living or recently living relative as a first name (Charles, Elizabeth, Diana, etc), I don't think that will happen. I am truly certain that Will will honor his mother by using her first name somewhere in the combination. And to not have "Elizabeth" will be seen as a snub that will be commented upon over and over and over and over in ever internet forum ever created, until we are all driven mad. Come to think of it, to not honor Diana would create the same havoc.

For a girl, I see one of the following:

If the names 'Mary' and/or 'Alexandra' are among the names given to the child (if the child is a girl), then Her Majesty is still being honored, because those two names were given to her as well.

While I think Diana will not be choosen as first name, I do believe it will be there somewhere, or Francis instead of Diana.

Even though I'm in the Mary/Victoria club, I surprisinly like Georgianna a lot (though I hate George). I'm a fan of traditional yet beautiful names but sometimes I'm positivily surprised with the choice of diferent and uncommon names as the child will have a unique and only name to himself/herself, like with Estelle!

For boy, I love Arthur and Richard, they are not used in a very long time and are unique yet traditional. Yes I know Arthur is a legend hero not real, but I remenber Charles wanted to give his first son Arthur but Diana won with William.

Anyone here can be kind to post the special dates in July? Like birthdays and other memorable celebrations? I want to have an idea for possible matching dates.

Anyone here can be kind to post the special dates in July? Like birthdays and other memorable celebrations? I want to have an idea for possible matching dates.

July 1st would be Diana's birthday, 17th July is Camilla'a birthday. There are no other special dates for events in July.

There are name calendars with names for each day of the year-here´s an international one,you chose a day and get the names:
Name Days: 17. Day in Month July | BabynamesArchive.com - Over 300000 popular names from around the

Name day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia-> name day for each country,unfortunately UK is not listed-do they celebrate name days at all or is it just that they are not included in the list?

1st July would be cool for several reasons-it´s Diana´s birthday and Canada day as well!If the baby comes on Dianas day it will be very nice,than they could celebrate the baby B-day and comemorate Diana at the same time.

No, we don't have name days here in the UK. Until I started lurking on TRF and seeing the Swedish name days, I'd never actually heard of such a thing in all honesty. Maybe some people here celebrate it privately, but it's not a nationally recognised concept by any means.

I hope Alice isn't chosen as a first name for a princess. It's sad how the name has been almost hijacked by the 'Twilight' phenomenon. As has Bella/Isabella and Edward to a certain degree.

No, we don't have name days here in the UK. Until I started lurking on TRF and seeing the Swedish name days, I'd never actually heard of such a thing in all honesty. Maybe some people here celebrate it privately, but it's not a nationally recognised concept by any means.

I hope Alice isn't chosen as a first name for a princess. It's sad how the name has been almost hijacked by the 'Twilight' phenomenon. As has Bella/Isabella and Edward to a certain degree.

I don't associate Alice with Twilight, probably because she's a secondary character and not the focus of the story. It's not my top choice, but I do like the name and I can see it working well.

I don't associate Alice with Twilight, probably because she's a secondary character and not the focus of the story. It's not my top choice, but I do like the name and I can see it working well.

That´s true,only teenage girls associate the name with that films,if there is any connotation for me it would be rather "Alice in Wonderland" which is a fine book if you ask me.I guess you could find an association to popular books/films/songs for every name,so that should be of no importance.
Alice is by far my favourite first name for the Cambridge baby,but I am looking forward to what they will chose,I hope it is not a name that is so overused in royal circles like Elizabeth (just as beautiful as they are,I would not like to have two Queen Mary´s or Two Victorias and after 2 Q Elizabeth that name should get a little rest and be used as a middle name instead!)

Now that we have talked all the name possibilities over and over again...just for the fun of it we could do the opposite and try to find the least possible names!

I will start:
For a boy:
HRH Prince Wotan, Hutch, Garcia, Eowin (Ireland!), Alejandro, Flynn, Huckleberry, Aspen, Blue, Colton (USA),Aiden (very beautiful Gaelic name-to strengthen the ties to that part of the Empire.That might pacify the IRA and make all Irish people proud!)

For a girl:
HRH Princess Titania (Shakespeare!), Britney, Tiffany (or better Cartier?), Lourdes, Cassidy, Ruby, Luna, Rihanna & Shakira for twins! (Bejonce if Catherine happens to have three sweet daughters which is quite unlikely),Daisy......:D

Last edited:
For godparents I think it will definitely be Prince Harry and Pippa.

For names
Boys: I can see them using Philip, Peter, Michael, Henry,Francis..some arrangement of those names

Girls: I hope they don't choose Elizabeth or Mary for the first name. There has already been 2 queen elizabeths. For first name girls I like Amelia or Alexandra, with Victoria low on my list.

Regarding Diana in the name if its a girl I really don't know if they would use Diana or Frances.

I always loved the name Isolde, I believe is Irish (or Scottish?). It's a very beautiful, feminine and delicate name.

Other diferent names I like for girls are: Emilia, Sophia, Valeria, Georginna, Alexandrina, Eve, Alice, Elle/Ella, Laura, Sara, Abigail, Rachel, Martha, Rebecca, Vivienne, Genevieve, Viollete/Violet, Vera, Ada, Susanna, Veronica, Iris, Clara, Kathlyn, Lucinda, Aurelia, Isadora, Phaedra, Marianne, Helen, Rosemary, Rose, Sandra, Helen, Elise, Esther, Miriam, Vivian, Veda, Therese(a), Margrethe, Madeleine, Magdalene, Magali, Sienna...

For boys: Joseph, Robert, Thomas, Samuel, David...

Last edited:
Isolde,Vivienne and Helen are enchanting names for girls but quite unlikely for the Cambridges :-(

Patrick would be another nice name but too Irish and un-royal as well.

That´s true,only teenage girls associate the name with that films,if there is any connotation for me it would be rather "Alice in Wonderland" which is a fine book if you ask me.I guess you could find an association to popular books/films/songs for every name,so that should be of no importance.
Alice is by far my favourite first name for the Cambridge baby,but I am looking forward to what they will chose,I hope it is not a name that is so overused in royal circles like Elizabeth (just as beautiful as they are,I would not like to have two Queen Mary´s or Two Victorias and after 2 Q Elizabeth that name should get a little rest and be used as a middle name instead!)

Now that we have talked all the name possibilities over and over again...just for the fun of it we could do the opposite and try to find the least possible names!

I will start:
For a boy:
HRH Prince Wotan, Hutch, Garcia, Eowin (Ireland!), Alejandro, Flynn, Huckleberry, Aspen, Blue, Colton (USA),Aiden (very beautiful Gaelic name-to strengthen the ties to that part of the Empire.That might pacify the IRA and make all Irish people proud!)

For a girl:
HRH Princess Titania (Shakespeare!), Britney, Tiffany (or better Cartier?), Lourdes, Cassidy, Ruby, Luna, Rihanna & Shakira for twins! (Bejonce if Catherine happens to have three sweet daughters which is quite unlikely),Daisy......:D

Least likely names! I love it!

I'll have to give this some thought, but I have to include

Boys: Brayden, Hayden, Jayden and Cayden, and of course the popular Hispanic name of Jesus.

Girls: Jacqui or Cyndi

Wow, HRH Jesus Charles Philipp Henry would be epic :D
Just think of the uproar in the Christian community...love it!

Just as well as Cindy-Princesses just wanna have fun :bounce:

Another highly unlikely choice for girls:Hillary and Donatella!

I really hope that they don't name a baby girl Diana. Maybe if they want to honor Princess Diana they may name her Ana? What about a Princess Ana? Ana Elizabeth Mary maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom