Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very strong feeling it's a girl!

I would love the baby to be named after Diana, though I'd love it as a first name, I just hope it's somewhere in her given names.

I'd love a Princess Charlotte as well.

Some names I think they may use:

Charlotte Mary Elizabeth
Alexandra Catherine Frances
Alice Margaret Caroline
Victoria Helena Rose
Diana Louise Catherine
Sophia Eugenie Victoria
Jane Elizabeth Mary
Alexandra Sarah Victoria

Philip Charles George Arthur
Albert David William George
Henry Charles Richard Michael
David Albert Charles William
William James Arthur Edward
Andrew Michael George Philip
Michael Henry Arthur Edward
Nicholas Alexander Frederick James
Alexander Henry George Patrick

There seems to be no hurry about changing the succession laws, so probably it is a boy.
I am thinking James, in spite of their being a present little boy James in the family. One reason being that there are "natural" nice-sounding nick-names for a James, which would distinguish the two young men. King James was an important king in these respects: he co-authored the KJV bible in use in all Church of England venues, and he tried to bring peace among the religious factions, which is an important movement today, and a stated goal of Prince Charles. If not Prince Jamie, Prince Charlie. I am not putting these forth as "favorites," just as likelies.

Last edited:
There seems to be no hurry about changing the succession laws, so probably it is a boy.

The speed of the current succession law changes has nothing to do with the sex of this baby.

I think for some reason that it will be a boy. I prefer James , not Charles for a First name, but I am almost sure that Charles and maybe William will be chosen as middle names.
James William Charles George
or
James Arthur Charles Loius.

I love names louise and Victoria, the second will be great for a future queen. HM Victoria II!
If not Princess Victoria, then Louise.

I always had a question about naming a future King of the United Kingdom Arthur.

And maybe this is an extraordinary silly question. But I have to ask:

He'll be just King Arthur or Arthur II?

I'm pretty sure he'll be Arthur I (or he could choose a regnal name, but I love the name Arthur so if Baby Cambridge is a boy and is called Arthur, I hope he'll stick with that name when he becomes King), as I think that King Arthur was a character in English literature. :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he'll be Arthur I (or he could choose a regnal name, but I love the name Arthur so if Baby Cambridge is a boy and is called Arthur, I hope he'll stick with that name when he becomes King), as I think that King Arthur was a character in English literature. :flowers:

He would just be "Arthur" without the ordinal. British monarchs (unlike Spain and a few other monarchies) are not given an ordinal if they're the first one of their name, and they are only given a "I" retroactively -- i.e. if there's an "Arthur II" in the future.

And they only number monarchs starting with William I the Conquerer. So Arthur, even if he did exist, wouldn't be included with that. :)

Just thought of this, but one non-traditional (in the BRF) name that I would love to see for a girl is "Julia."

It would be so fitting if the baby is born in July. Plus, it would honor one of the baby's ancestresses, Princess Julia of Battenberg, and I think "Princess Julia of Cambridge" and "Queen Julia" sound so nice and so royal.

He would just be "Arthur" without the ordinal. British monarchs (unlike Spain and a few other monarchies) are not given an ordinal if they're the first one of their name, and they are only given a "I" retroactively -- i.e. if there's an "Arthur II" in the future.

And they only number monarchs starting with William I the Conquerer. So Arthur, even if he did exist, wouldn't be included with that. :)

Thanks for correcting me- that explains why Queen Victoria wasn't known as 'Victoria I.' Titles and styles is one of the topics of royalty that I don't fully understand.

Last edited:
Just thought of this, but one non-traditional (in the BRF) name that I would love to see for a girl is "Julia."

It would be so fitting if the baby is born in July. Plus, it would honor one of the baby's ancestresses, Princess Julia of Battenberg, and I think "Princess Julia of Cambridge" and "Queen Julia" sound so nice and so royal.

Julia is a nice name. But I believe they'll choose a strong and traditional British Royal name, like Elizabeth or Victoria.

Also, after Estelle of Sweden and Athena of Denmark, we deserve some traditional Royal names.

Julia is a nice name. But I believe they'll choose a strong and traditional British Royal name, like Elizabeth or Victoria.

Also, after Estelle of Sweden and Athena of Denmark, we deserve some traditional Royal names.

Athena is a perfectly traditional an acceptable name for someone who is 8 or 9th in line for the throne.

Athena is a perfectly traditional an acceptable name for someone who is 8 or 9th in line for the throne.

Yes, it's acceptable for someone who is down in the line of succession, like Zara and Savannah.

But "traditional"? She's a Princess of Denmark, not from Greece.

Yes, it's acceptable for someone who is down in the line of succession, like Zara and Savannah.

But "traditional"? She's a Princess of Denmark, not from Greece.

Yes, but her grandmother's sister, Anne-Marie, was the former queen of Greece, and thus she has Greek relations in her family. She may not personally have Greek blood, but it's a nice nod to other branches of the same family tree.

Yes, but her grandmother's sister, Anne-Marie, was the former queen of Greece, and thus she has Greek relations in her family. She may not personally have Greek blood, but it's a nice nod to other branches of the same family tree.

I know, but I believe a Danish Princess should have received a Danish-sound name.

"Athena Marguerite Françoise Marie." Not a single Danish name.

I know, but I believe a Danish Princess should have received a Danish-sound name.

Don't worry. THIS baby WILL have a thoroughly British name.

Her mother IS French, you know. Perhaps since their son has more Danish-sounding names to honor the father's heritage, they wanted to go with the mother's heritage for their daughter. It's not like she's going to be Queen, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Back to the topic of William and Catherine's child's name, it was announced on ITV's website that Lady Mary Crawley's son's name is George (for those amongst us who are Downton Abbey fans), so I'll throw my $0.02 in the pot that if they have a son, that's what his first name will be as well.

Princess Alice Elizabeth Cambridge
For now until she pops more Im going with a girl

Well lets see

Girl
Catherine Elizabeth alexandra Frances
Diana carol Elizabeth Mary
Phillippa Catherine diana Elizabeth

Boy
Arthur Phillip Henry Louis
Phillip Charles Louis
George William Charles
James Michael phillip

Well lets see

Girl
Catherine Elizabeth alexandra Frances
Diana carol Elizabeth Mary
Phillippa Catherine diana Elizabeth

Boy
Arthur Phillip Henry Louis
Phillip Charles Louis
George William Charles
James Michael phillip

first two on each are dead on and perfect.

I personally doubt they're gonna use James. If there was just one James in the close family, I think it would have been more likely for them to use, but because there both are James Middleton and Viscount Severn, I think they'll steer clear of it, as a first name at least.

If they somehow are gonna incorporate Catherine's name in a girls name, I think it sounds great together with Frances. Matilda Elizabeth Catherine Frances or Matilda Elizabeth Frances Catherine.

Princess Marie if French, Prince Joachim is part French, can you really blame them for giving a child who basically is 75% French, a French sounding name? I, for one, found the fact that they used Marguerite instead of Margrethe very refreshing, and Marie is a very, very common girls name in Denmark.

:previous: What has any of this got to do with Baby Cambridge?

Okay, I'll go with girl too!

Perfect name: Dale Leigh May Elle :cool:

:previous: What has any of this got to do with Baby Cambridge?

Well, I would say that the first part of the post indeed has something to do with Baby Cambridge, however, I will agree with you that my reply to BrazilianEmpire is slightly irrelevant to the thread. I doubt a catastrophe will occur because of a few posts off-track though ;)

For a girl, I would like to see Alice, Charlotte, Elizabeth, or Victoria. I like Phillip, George, Alexander, or James for a boy.

Thanks for correcting me- that explains why Queen Victoria wasn't known as 'Victoria I.' Titles and styles is one of the topics of royalty that I don't fully understand.

It can get tricky! Especially when different countries have different traditions on the matter. I believe there's a thread somewhere on here about it.

Slightly 'off the wall', but i like the idea of 'Alfred', as the first name {if the baby is a boy} Suitably Anglo-Saxon, and the name of perhaps our greatest pre-conquest king. Also the press can abreviate it {as they inevitably will} to 'Fred'...

It can get tricky! Especially when different countries have different traditions on the matter. I believe there's a thread somewhere on here about it.

There are two threads about titles and styles :):

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/questions-about-british-styles-and-titles-258.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f162/questions-about-styles-and-titles-17155.html

How about Wilhelmina? After her father???

I like it! :flowers:. Also, 'Queen Wilhelmina' does work because the Queen of the Netherlands during WWII was called Wilhelmina (she was also Beatrix's grandmother). How about: Wilhelmina Elizabeth Catherine Diana? I have noticed that some members think that it's a bit 'Dutch sounding,' and I agree, but William III of England was Dutch and his mother married William II, Prince of Orange (I do believe that she was originally an English Princess as she was the Princess Royal at the time). So it has an English meaning as well.

Hey, there's at least one princess in the Middle East named Sara/Sarah!

That's correct, I do believe that she's King Abdulah of Jordan's sister-in-law (she's married to Prince Faisal, who is Abdulah's brother). 'Princess Sara' also reminds me of the main charachter from the classic children's film/book A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which I used to love when I was younger.

Last edited:
Wilhelmina is just not a British name. I know George, Victoria etc. aren't British names either, but they've been adopted here on a very big scale. 99% of the British public likely will never have heard of Queen Wilhelmina or know that William III was Dutch. Superficially, the name sounds German to me, which is certainly not what the royals want in a name, particularly of a future monarch.

Also, the name is just much, much too close to Wilhelm (naturally enough) which would conjure thoughts of Kaiser Wilhelm, who wouldn't exactly be a figure of affection in the UK, given WW1 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom