The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Royal Highness

The Cambridges' are a traditional couple.

Boy- William Philip Charles Michael
Girl- Catherine Elizabeth Diana Carole

BTW, I think the baby will be a boy!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Courtier

They will choose a traditinal name

I think they're having a girl

Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
[QUOTE=Lumutqueen;1503300]Then the kid would be Queen Queen? Also, it's a name that reminds me of something too personal to mention.

You're not the only one who thought of that too.

Come to think of it, Queen Regina is Queen Queen and then we'd have Regina, Queen Regnant in 60 some years time. Its a regal sounding name though.

Ok: my modified list for the kid.

Girl:

Georgiana (Gia)
Alice (perhaps Mary Alice)
Eleanor (Ellie)
Alexandra or Alexandrina

Boys:

Richard
Stephen
David
Alexander
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

I like Sophia too; besides, it's the name of the Electress of Hanover who missed out on becoming a Queen Regnant of Britain by mere days.
Had never considered it up until now,I like it given the historical link!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would love for the name Victoria to be reignited.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think anyone hoping for a 'modern' name is going to be disappointed. George, Edward, William, Henry etc. are not just popular with the royals, but with British parents in general. The traditional names have had a big revival over the last 10 years or so.

While the monarchy is being modernised (which is happening constantly; the institution never stands still despite what some people think), of greater importance is continuity. Choosing a name which everyone recognises as being regal and having been used before down the centuries is quite reassuring I think.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Me too I think there is a great possibility
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've always thought Victoria requested that no future Monarch be called Victoria again after her?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Agree, Princess Victoria sounds splendid, the queen will definitely have a say in the child's name,
Male? George or Albert
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

There is a nice name from the far distant past of the Isles, Rowena. It is the feminine form of the first name of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan. The archbishop, who participated in Will and Kate's wedding, will retire before the baby is born, so he could be a god father (I think--I don't know rules on that). Rowan would be a nice name for a boy, too. There are so many old nice names from the Saxon and Celtic past of Britain. My aunt's name was Margaret Ethelwyn, a Saxon name from the far past, and there are many more. Some digging into old records could be interesting.
I found one recently when reading a history of Glasgow cathedral. The founder of the cathedral (in a place already revered) was St. Kentigern. This would be too odd a name for the Prince to be, but it has a ring to it. Aidan was another saint of that far distant period in Scotland and Ireland. If you want to be traditional why not go whole hog into the early days of Britain?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Rowena? King Aidan? I can't see them doing that. In regards to Aidan, that's way too Celtic, I think. Just like I can't see them naming their daughter Bridget. Considering England's history with Ireland over the centuries, I can't see the Cambridges choosing a first name that is associated with it, even tangentially. I think the last British monarch to have a name that in anyway tied to Ireland was the Duke of Windsor, and he was born before Irish independence.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I've always thought Victoria requested that no future Monarch be called Victoria again after her?
like if she ever know! unless she comes back from the dead to curse them if they name their daughter Victoria
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Victoria (II) is some name to live up to though (but again, so will a Queen Elizabeth (III) be). I still hope for either Margaret or Matilda. David is a lovely name for a boy and King David sounds nice. I do still have a fondness for Richard though that is a really wonderful name IMO.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Looking on the Spencer side, Johnny had 3 girls and 1 boy and his son Charles has 5 girls and 2 boys. So the Spencer side is predominately female. William does look more like the Spencer side somewhat so perhaps he's got the Spencer genes too?

As we all know the DoE can be somewhat stubborn. Perhaps after growing up with all women around him, he TOLD his little swimmers he wanted mostly males.
Spencer genes have nothing to do with the gender. The father's father's father's family's offspring are the only 'prognosticator' Determining the Sex of Offspring — Infoplease.com
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Royal Highness

I vote for Princess Gracie; the future Queen Grace! Don't care what other names they string along.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

Archduchess Zelia, I can support Margaret or Matilda or David or Richard. But as for Celtic names, Rowena is NOT Celtic. It is, as far as I know, Anglo-Saxon. It was the name of a lady prominent in Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe". Lady Rowena, the Anglo-Saxon princess. And with her in the book was the Jewish lady, Rebecca. Rowena and Rebecca would make nice twin names--but they'd never live down having named the girls from Sir Walter Scott's novel.
Richard and David would be nice names for twin boys. Very dignified and traditional!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Archduchess Zelia, I can support Margaret or Matilda or David or Richard. But as for Celtic names, Rowena is NOT Celtic. It is, as far as I know, Anglo-Saxon. It was the name of a lady prominent in Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe". Lady Rowena, the Anglo-Saxon princess. And with her in the book was the Jewish lady, Rebecca. Rowena and Rebecca would make nice twin names--but they'd never live down having named the girls from Sir Walter Scott's novel.
Richard and David would be nice names for twin boys. Very dignified and traditional!
Yes, until the chavs of Britain call them Dick and Dave..... Will and Kate have to consider the cruel press and public.

David is fab, however.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Queen Rowena? King Aidan? I can't see them doing that. In regards to Aidan, that's way too Celtic, I think. Just like I can't see them naming their daughter Bridget. Considering England's history with Ireland over the centuries, I can't see the Cambridges choosing a first name that is associated with it, even tangentially. I think the last British monarch to have a name that in anyway tied to Ireland was the Duke of Windsor, and he was born before Irish independence.
So true.. and moreson since today's fuss in Belfast over flying the Union Jack on Kate's b'day.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Heir Apparent

They might even go very safe and simple. If its a girl, her name is Catherine (with a plethora of middle names) and a boy its William (same thing with middle names). No hidden meanings.. no muss no fuss. Pure and simple and traditional as the Queen herself was named for her mum. Boys took "George" to follow an example of dad and grampas.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I vote for Princess Gracie; the future Queen Grace! Don't care what other names they string along.
Y'know I've thought about that name too. Shows my age but I can just chuckle as I hear Gracie and think of Gracie Allen. You and her must be soul twins..... you both have a sheer inner sense of fun.

Actually I would not be surprised at a short, sweet, simple one syllable name for this child. We have Will and Kate and they obviously don't mind a bit being referred to as such. We've never seen Charles as Chuck or Charlie or Chaz or any derivative (ok.. there was Fred but... ) These are people that feel comfortable in the everyday world and will raise their children to be too.

From experience, there is no name in the world that given the opportunity, any child can come up with a rhyme to slur and denigrate the name. I thought I was safe with Maria. Go figure.