The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #401  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I'm hoping it doesn't appear at all! Remember the fuss when Earl Spencer named the daughter of his current wife Charlotte Diana?
What fuss? Count Spencer had right to name his daughter after her aunt!
__________________

__________________
  #402  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,008
I would like a return to non-Hanoverian names. Like the Norman/Scots name Robert.
Like Margaret or Marjory (I believe "Margaret" came from a middle European perhaps Hungarian source, it means "pearl", and was unusual when Queen Margaret brought it to Scotland). I am not sure of the ethnic derivation of Marjorie (Margery) but she was the Scottish bride of Robert I. Anne or Anna goes back to the Bible and makes an end-run around Hanover. There are other Biblical names which could be interesting...take your pick.
__________________

__________________
  #403  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
scooter's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
What fuss? Count Spencer had right to name his daughter after her aunt!
Very little fuss, limited to people who pathologically hate Diana and would like nothing better than to erase her from history all together. In general, the same people who had a conniption fit that William gave Kate Diana's ring.
__________________
  #404  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I'm hoping it doesn't appear at all! Remember the fuss when Earl Spencer named the daughter of his current wife Charlotte Diana?
I am as certain that Diana and Elizabeth will appear in a daughter's name as I am certain the sun will rise in the morning. It's just a question of the order. Elizabeth is also a nod to Kate, whose middle name is Elizabeth.

I am also virtually certain Carole/Caroline/Charlotte would appear - but far more likely Caroline - this covers both Kate's mother and Charles.

"First Name Elizabeth Diana Caroline" Perhaps even Phillipa as a fifth name to cover Prince Phillip as this all important first born will inherit the throne.
"First Name Phillip Charles Michael"

I personally think that this child should have its own first name rather than named after someone close. As I said before, he or she has enough shoes to fill without being saddled with the first name of some larger than life figure in the family tree. That said, Will and Kate are a very conservative couple and the child's first name will be a very conservative, safe choice. No Xan, no alternate spelling such as Elysabeth, etc.
__________________
  #405  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Very little fuss, limited to people who pathologically hate Diana and would like nothing better than to erase her from history all together. In general, the same people who had a conniption fit that William gave Kate Diana's ring.
Well, obviously Diana's brother had every right to include her name among her new-born daughter's; to suggest otherwise is just preposterous. As far as I remember, there was very little fuss indeed. Similarly, I have little doubt that should William and Kate have a daughter, Diana will be one of the middle names.

I did think giving Kate Diana's ring was somewhat unfortunate though. I understand the sentiments behind the move but if I were Kate, I'd prefer a ring that were uniquely mine and not laden with a very sad history of a failed marriage and tragedy.
  #406  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,181
How can an inanimate object be 'laden with a very sad history of a failed marriage and tragedy'? The ring had nothing to do with why the marriage failed. Seems like a bunch of superstitious mumbo jumbo IMO.
__________________
  #407  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,427

Perhaps. I just shared my take.
Perhaps Kate saw it differently and was elated to receive the ring.
  #408  
Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,017
I remeber the DM headline - "Earl Spencer names his daughter after his sister Diana" (words to that effect) and then read that the little girl wasn't called Diana, it was just one of her other names.

As for the ring - I was very doubtful about it at first and felt that it was potentially adding a burden to Catherine - living up to Diana etc. But this hasn't happened and I've noticed that replica rings are named after Catherine (or Kate Middleton).

My name choices having been changing - currently they are Charlotte Mary Rose and Charles Philip Michael. IF there are twin girls, I think the other child will be called Alice Elizabeth
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #409  
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,097
Let's stay on topic...we don't need to rehash the pros and cons of Catherine's engagement ring.

Any and additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Names and godparents please.

Zonk
British Forum Moderator
__________________
.

  #410  
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Noble Consort Ming's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, United States
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I would like a return to non-Hanoverian names. Like the Norman/Scots name Robert.
Like Margaret or Marjory (I believe "Margaret" came from a middle European perhaps Hungarian source, it means "pearl", and was unusual when Queen Margaret brought it to Scotland). I am not sure of the ethnic derivation of Marjorie (Margery) but she was the Scottish bride of Robert I. Anne or Anna goes back to the Bible and makes an end-run around Hanover. There are other Biblical names which could be interesting...take your pick.
Margery is a medieval form of Margaret. And Margaret originally has Latin origins in turn derived from a Greek word. St. Margaret is the patron saint of expectant mothers.
__________________
How can I dislike the Vasas for running my country when their babies are so cute!
  #411  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Very little fuss, limited to people who pathologically hate Diana and would like nothing better than to erase her from history all together. In general, the same people who had a conniption fit that William gave Kate Diana's ring.
Oh For Heavens Sake!
Neither I nor anyone else commenting here "pathalogically hates" Diana!
We can simply see the way that the press would treat a child named after her. The name has become iconic (your reaction shows that) and the press would make so much of how this child will have to "live up to the image of her grandmother who, by the way, will be 37 years old for ever.
Diana had two names and the other would honour her and her family just as well and without the baggage.
As for Earl Spencers daughter: What other british Earl has produced a daughter who's birth and naming warranted a full page article in at least two daily newspapers???? Had he named her Charlotte Frances nothing would have been made of it. He named her Charlotte DIANA.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
  #412  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Oh For Heavens Sake!
Neither I nor anyone else commenting here "pathalogically hates" Diana!
We can simply see the way that the press would treat a child named after her. The name has become iconic (your reaction shows that) and the press would make so much of how this child will have to "live up to the image of her grandmother who, by the way, will be 37 years old for ever.
Diana had two names and the other would honour her and her family just as well and without the baggage.
As for Earl Spencers daughter: What other british Earl has produced a daughter who's birth and naming warranted a full page article in at least two daily newspapers???? Had he named her Charlotte Frances nothing would have been made of it. He named her Charlotte DIANA.
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. There was what, one or two articles about Earl Spencer's daughter? And they were really nice articles. They mostly commented that it was nice to honor Diana's memory that way.

That's exactly what would happen if/when William and Kate use that as one of their future child's names. It would be noted in the press right when the names were announced, probably in a mostly approving way, and then everyone would get over it. Let's not act like it would be a blight the child would carry forever- that's over dramatizing it quite a bit.

And let's also not forget that to William, Diana was not an icon, or a celebrity- she was just his mum and he loved her. If he chooses to remember her in this way, everyone should understand why and support it. If he doesn't, that's ok too.

It'd be fine, as either a first name or a middle name, and people would get used to it a lot faster than you seem to think.
__________________
  #413  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I am as certain that Diana and Elizabeth will appear in a daughter's name as I am certain the sun will rise in the morning. It's just a question of the order. Elizabeth is also a nod to Kate, whose middle name is Elizabeth.

I am also virtually certain Carole/Caroline/Charlotte would appear - but far more likely Caroline - this covers both Kate's mother and Charles.

"First Name Elizabeth Diana Caroline" Perhaps even Phillipa as a fifth name to cover Prince Phillip as this all important first born will inherit the throne.
"First Name Phillip Charles Michael"

I personally think that this child should have its own first name rather than named after someone close. As I said before, he or she has enough shoes to fill without being saddled with the first name of some larger than life figure in the family tree. That said, Will and Kate are a very conservative couple and the child's first name will be a very conservative, safe choice. No Xan, no alternate spelling such as Elysabeth, etc.
I love the idea of Phillipa because that is also Pippa's real name.

Name for girl: Elizabeth Diana Caroline Phillipa
Name for boy: Albert Phillip Charles Michael
__________________
  #414  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,838
I'd love a little Matilda. It would be a nice tribute to Australia and also a nod to the first "Queen" of England (or to be more correct, Lady of the English), Empress Matilda, who was never actually crowned Queen which would make a new little Matilda the first British Queen Regent of her name, I believe. Matilda Caroline Elizabeth Diana perhaps? Or if they wanna use Carole's actual name, Matilda Elizabeth Carole Diana.

Richard would be sweet for a boy, but then again, there is the Duke of Gloucester who already "occupies" that name. Same with Alexander. So I'm thinking that if it's a boy, it'll probably be either an Arthur or a George. Arthur Francis Philip George or George Charles Arthur Philip maybe.
__________________
"I think very highly of Princess Anne too - she’d have made a very good Queen, I believe."
- Dame Helen Mirren.

  #415  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,008
I like Matilda too, isn't that referring to the heir of William the Conqueror who was upset by another heir, Stephen? My Scots ancestor of that period, Fulbert the Saxon, fought for Matilda and had to leave England and take up residence in Scotland because of this. So I too like Matilda, if they don't call her Tilly. I can just see the press calling her Princess Tilly or just plain Tilly.

From the history of that period (the Stephen-Matilda fight) there were a number of royal Matilda's at that time, another one being a princess of Scotland. I suppose the name may derive from Matthew plus the suffix -ilda? Which I suppose is an Ango-Saxon suffix.
__________________
  #416  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
scooter's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. There was what, one or two articles about Earl Spencer's daughter? And they were really nice articles. They mostly commented that it was nice to honor Diana's memory that way.

That's exactly what would happen if/when William and Kate use that as one of their future child's names. It would be noted in the press right when the names were announced, probably in a mostly approving way, and then everyone would get over it. Let's not act like it would be a blight the child would carry forever- that's over dramatizing it quite a bit.

And let's also not forget that to William, Diana was not an icon, or a celebrity- she was just his mum and he loved her. If he chooses to remember her in this way, everyone should understand why and support it. If he doesn't, that's ok too.

It'd be fine, as either a first name or a middle name, and people would get used to it a lot faster than you seem to think.
Indeed. My point exactly. Is there really a need for some to get hysterical because William might want to name his child after his late mother?
__________________
  #417  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Noble Consort Ming's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, United States
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Very little fuss, limited to people who pathologically hate Diana and would like nothing better than to erase her from history all together. In general, the same people who had a conniption fit that William gave Kate Diana's ring.
I dislike Diana a lot but I like the name her brother gave his daughter and I hope the name figures in the Cambridges' daughter's name as well. I also kind of like that William gave Catherine Diana's ring. I am superstitious and personally would not want the engagement ring from a marriage that was unhappy and ended in a divorce but obviously William and Catherine are happy with their decision to use the ring and that's what matters.

It is actually possible to heavily dislike Diana(I hate to use the word hate) and not be bothered by her family honoring her. It's only right that they do so and I think quite a few haters would actually agree.

I just had another thought. I doubt this will happen but perhaps for one of their daughters they will use a name derived from the name Artemis. The Roman goddess Diana was called Artemis by the Greeks. Like I said it won't happen but I'm enjoying thinking about the possibilities. It would be a nice nod to the fact that Phillip was born a prince of Greece(I realize he is not actually of Greek heritage).
__________________
How can I dislike the Vasas for running my country when their babies are so cute!
  #418  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middleofnowhere, United States
Posts: 16
I read something awhile back that William like the name Alice. I am going to put that in the mix. I don't know about Diana. I think Frances might make it--to cover bother William's mother and Kate's father. (It is his middle name.) I think that Diana comes with big shoes to fill and if you already know that you are going to be Queen that should be enough shoes to fill if the previous Queen is your great grandmother who is a legend for all time! If we were talking spare maybe, but not first born daughter. I do believe that Elizabeth will be in there somewhere though.

If there is a son, then I think that Philip and Charles are going to make the final cut for names. Michael is a given almost and James might not make it because it is in use in the immediate family for a cousin.
__________________
  #419  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 35
i think Victoria for a girl just because having a Queen Victoria II would be amazing and have Diana in the name somewhere. For a boy I think James for James III.
__________________
  #420  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,008
Cynderella, if William likes the name Alice, then that shoots right up to a top position. It is a traditional royal name which hasn't seen recent use. It would honor the late Princess Alice, whom most of us admire so much. I love Princess Alice's middle name Cristabel, but the baby won't be born at Christmas, as Alice was, so that's probably not in consideration. In fact, an ideal (not likely but ideal) name for a baby Princess would be Alice Cristabel Caroline (for Kate's mother) Frances (for William's mother).
That's my nomination.
I'm not saying it won't be a boy. I don't have a clue there.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HRH Duke Carlos Javier (1970- ) and the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma: August 2010- Warren Royal Families of Italy 191 04-09-2014 06:18 AM
Potential Names and Godparents for Zara Phillips Tindall and Mike Tindall First Child Zonk The Princess Royal and Family 107 01-24-2014 02:47 PM
Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 3615 07-22-2013 02:30 AM
Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby principessa Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 390 07-26-2009 11:56 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander norway palace picture thread pom pregnancy prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince laurent princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess annette princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess marilene princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sheikh state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]