Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Osipi, Catherine would be good for a name, a nickname like Cathy which would result would be OK too. (nickname resulting from need to tell Catherine from her daughter in press reports). William is good and they could call him Wills since they don't often refer to Prince William as "Wills" any more. This is a very likely occurrence. I expect Prince Harry and Sophie Wessex to be godparents, and their names will appear in the lineup somewhere. But I think Sophia rather than Sophie will appear.
Someone mentioned Sophie as a possible name after the Electress of Hanover. Sophie Wessex would be honored as well, but I think the name would become Sophia. I expect the Wessexes to be active royals after the Queen and Phillip retire--I know someone said the Queen would never retire, but if Phillip is ill this may be considered. They will gradually take over the subsidiary royal spot the Gloucesters have occupied. I expect Lady Louise to make a significant marriage, possibly to a European royal personage. I'm on a roll. Tell me to stop.

Yes, Osipi, Catherine would be good for a name, a nickname like Cathy which would result would be OK too. (nickname resulting from need to tell Catherine from her daughter in press reports). William is good and they could call him Wills since they don't often refer to Prince William as "Wills" any more. This is a very likely occurrence. I expect Prince Harry and Sophie Wessex to be godparents, and their names will appear in the lineup somewhere. But I think Sophia rather than Sophie will appear.
Someone mentioned Sophie as a possible name after the Electress of Hanover. Sophie Wessex would be honored as well, but I think the name would become Sophia. I expect the Wessexes to be active royals after the Queen and Phillip retire--I know someone said the Queen would never retire, but if Phillip is ill this may be considered. They will gradually take over the subsidiary royal spot the Gloucesters have occupied. I expect Lady Louise to make a significant marriage, possibly to a European royal personage. I'm on a roll. Tell me to stop.

Um.. if you stop, then the quality of this thread ceases to be as this is exactly what we're supposed to be doing. :whistling:

As far as Lady Louise and the future, I think she'll grow up to be "posh" much like Kate did. 20 years from now we're going to see Mountbatten-Windsor printed in the press a LOT more often as the LPs that HM put forth take root and become reality.

I did and do like the comment about the name Sophia after the Electress of Hanover. Sophia as a name has a long history even within the Bible and in Judaism and other studies in ancient lore as the name of the Shekinah (the consort of the Most High for example or the female aspect of such). The Electress Sophia herelf was a consort. Most have listed the meaning of the name as being Wisdom. To me, its a name they really couldn't lose with.

Then again, kids would end up with the same rhyme we ended up with Maria. Go figure.

Yes, until the chavs of Britain call them Dick and Dave..... Will and Kate have to consider the cruel press and public.

David is fab, however.

I'd stop insulting people in the UK if I were you, it's not nice.
We have a Prince Richard, he's never called 'Dick' and Viscount Linley is called David and never referred to as Dave. Despite this Dick and Dave are common nicknames and have been used for centuries not just by 'chavs' or the press.

We have a Prince Richard, he's never called 'Dick' and Viscount Linley is called David and never referred to as Dave. Despite this Dick and Dave are common nicknames and have been used for centuries not just by 'chavs' or the press.

Wow.. I don't yet know really what a "chav" is yet. Someone mentioned it a while back ago but that info got lost as I chased down a donut or something. Correct me if I'm wrong but a chav is perhaps what some would call a dick on the west side of the pond? Someone less that favorable? A dick also would be a private eye kinda guy on our side.. ala Dick Tracy.. forerunner to James Bond (I'm shaking and not stirring the pot y'know) We had a president that was called 'Tricky Dickie". Common for a man named Richard to be a Dick. We have also Dickie Arbiter on the UK side that deserves none of the US connotations to the work "dick". Charles' mentor and friend Lord Louis Mountbatten was 'Uncle Dickie". Its all in a name. and how you see it.

Personally I knew I had dated myself when I first saw that Beatrice was dating Dave Clark. I remember well the British Invasion of the 60's and the Dave Clark 5's "Glad All Over". :cool:

It's funny and harmless.

And probably a fair observation. I'm definitely not a fan of the name Richard. I've also never met a guy named Richard that wasn't a total tool.

I hope they don't use it, personally.

It's funny and harmless.

And probably a fair observation. I'm definitely not a fan of the name Richard. I've also never met a guy named Richard that wasn't a total tool.

I hope they don't use it, personally.

its also a learning experience how different words can mean totally different things. We find out by reading them, using them and sometimes getting someone upset but meaning no harm.

Take the word fanny... :)

I'd put my posts on ignore if I were you. You seem to read them, searching for something to critique.

How is it that I am insulting the people of Britain by referring to its lower elements of society by a name the British invented? Or is that insult reserved just for the British? Any advice on such a topic would be greatly appreciated.

Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, is referred to as Duke of Gloucester. He's not very well known.

If you can't envision that the lower elements of British society, or other societies in general will refer to Will and Kate's baby as "little Dick," then I don't know what to say. Not everyone in Britain holds the BRF in some sort of semi-reverence. If they name their child Prince Richard, then I feel sorry for this child for that very reason.

If you can't envision that the lower elements of British society, or other societies in general will refer to Will and Kate's baby as "little Dick," then I don't know what to say. Not everyone in Britain holds the BRF in some sort of semi-reverence. If they name their child Prince Richard, then I feel sorry for this child for that very reason.

I have to do it.. i can't resist it.

We all know that Wills and Kate are of the generation that listens to hip-hop and rap and have a wealth of other music at their disposal as the wedding music chosen proved. They've been reported to like Angry Birds and the boys are a part of keeping Granny in the loop too with a few practical jokes thrown in. Wiliam and Richard does kind of give you ideas how it could be.. such as Wee Willie had a little Dickie.. get my point yet? Where there is a name, there's a way to denigrate it. (and I can't believe I thought I was safe with Maria).

Whatever name they choose, unless it be "Wombat" I know it will be one that they've both come to agreement with (she's not going to argue for the later name of Combat Wombat) and they stand united on it. Our choices here for names are suggestions and blips that go bump in our brains and we express them. From the traditional to the brain fart... its what we do.

Would anyone of you have guessed that Autumn would name her child Savannah? :D

How is it that I am insulting the people of Britain by referring to its lower elements of society by a name the British invented? Or is that insult reserved just for the British? Any advice on such a topic would be greatly appreciated.

Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, is referred to as Duke of Gloucester. He's not very well known.

The word Chav isn't a British invention, it means boy in Romani. However the use of the word to describe children wearing sportswear and behaving badly was popularised by the TV show Little Britain. I wouldn't generalise so much as to the "lower elements of British society" you can have rich Chavs as well m'dear.

Of all the stereotypes you could have picked, Chavs are probably the least like to give a damn about what the future King is called, they couldn't even name the current Queen if you asked.

I can't envision anyone calling a child Dick, unless it's because he happens to be acting like one even if his name is Richard. He has a name, Dick is not his name. The press are hardly going to call him "Little Dickie" are they now? :lol:

Also - if you personally can only associate a child named Richard with the word "Dick" then I feel very sorry for you. I won't put you on ignore, that's something I use for posters who make very little sense all of the time. This forum is for sharing and debating opinions, it's for discussion. If everyone just wrote their posts, and then signed off it would be quite boring.

Would anyone of you have guessed that Autumn would name her child Savannah? :D

Yes, a poster on this forum actually predicted the baby would be called Savannah. There is of course a massive difference between naming the 12th in line to the throne with no title, to the future King or Queen.

Richard is a wonderful name, used by many previous Kings and I somehow doubt that any of them were called "Dickie".

Last edited:
Actually Richard III for example was quite frequently referred to as "Dick"-it did not then have the present negative connotation

Chavewas used to refer to those seen as ,for want of a better description, "common" long before Little Britain

And I'm sorry-but I strongly suspect that if the baby was to be called Richard the press would be all too likely to refer to it as Dick-or possibly (and less nastily) as Rick(ie)-no way would,say, a Sun headline talk about " Richard"

Well they don't call William, little "Willie" do they?

Well they don't call William, little "Willie" do they?

Worse, actually. I don't know about the "little", but around the Cambridge wedding this article appeared (I hope the link works). It speaks for itself, including the requisite unsubstantiated accusations in flowery language. The writer is supposed to have covered the royals since 1982. After May, 2011, I couldn't find other articles by her about royals.

http://www.themortonreport.com/celebrity/royals/dianas-double-betrayal-first-charles-then-william/

Queen Poppy? Just kidding, but I do love the British floral names...

I think Amelia has a nice modern sound, yet is royal.

How about Elizabeth with the use of a nickname. My youngest daughter is named "Elisabeth," and although most often goes by her given name, is sometimes called "Lissy," and is with great affection addressed as "Lily" by her older sister and her grandfather. Of course QE2 was "Lilibet" in her youth.

Possible nicknames for Elizabeth: Lizzy, Lily, Elle, Eliza, Libby, Betsy, Beth, Lettie, Lieselelsie, Bette, Bess, Liza

So, a future princess (yeah!) could carry the regal QE3, but have a different nickname...

Queen Poppy? Just kidding, but I do love the British floral names...

The British floral names are wonderful, but for a future Queen I prefer the traditional English Rose.

And just think, Sir Elton could change his maudlin tribute to "Hello, England's Rose" :whistling:

The British floral names are wonderful, but for a future Queen I prefer the traditional English Rose.

And just think, Sir Elton could change his maudlin tribute to "Hello, England's Rose" :whistling:
What a lovely tribute it would be:flowers: love the name Rose as well

Girl:
Victoria Elizabeth Amelia Frances
Charlotte Victoria Amelia Frances

Boy: Michael William Henry Phillip

I love "Rose" too. Princess Rose might have a superfluity of "s" sounds in it, hard to pronounce. (same with Princess Frances). I was thinking of "Frances Rose" until I noticed the "s" sounds. One of the tabloids a couple years ago was thinking about royal names for a Cambridge baby, and they came up with Mary, Alice, and Rose as the most likely. I do not know why Rose is a royal name, other than Princess Margaret Rose had it as a second name, and one of the Gloucester women is Rose Victoria Christabel (which I think is a divine name, and Lady Rose is elegant herself!) I love the idea of "Hello English Rose". What a lovely idea!

Would they consider 'Arabella'? I love this name and the nickname Bella...the combo I wish they would use is:

Arabella Elizabeth Caroline Diana

I love "Rose" too. Princess Rose might have a superfluity of "s" sounds in it, hard to pronounce. (same with Princess Frances). I was thinking of "Frances Rose" until I noticed the "s" sounds. One of the tabloids a couple years ago was thinking about royal names for a Cambridge baby, and they came up with Mary, Alice, and Rose as the most likely. I do not know why Rose is a royal name, other than Princess Margaret Rose had it as a second name, and one of the Gloucester women is Rose Victoria Christabel (which I think is a divine name, and Lady Rose is elegant herself!) I love the idea of "Hello English Rose". What a lovely idea!

While my original comment about "England's Rose" was a bit tongue and cheek, I would agree that floral names for girls is to me quintessentially English (and Victorian), and what is more traditional a flower than the "English Rose." There's also something a bit modern to it as well. Hard to get the balance of traditional and modern right as I think this child will not live the "goldfish bowl" existence of the British princes/princesses of yesteryear but will grow up as normally as can be allowed.

Margaret Rose was known as "Princess Margaret Rose" while she was a child. Hard to think of the Queen frowning on Rose as part of a girl's name, esp. given the memory of her dear sister.

There is Lady Rose Gilman - she is Rose Victoria - but I don't think she has Christabel in there. Her grandmother was "Alice Christabel" (Divine) and Rose's daughter is "Lyla Beatrix Christabel" (equally divine)

Alice Rose for a little girl is wonderful. Princess Alice Rose. Rose added to any first name really brightens it up. I'm not partial to "Margaret" but "Margaret Rose" really sways me.

Charlotte Rose is my favourite. 2nd is Eleanor Mary

Love them both! Charlotte Rose or Eleanor Mary.

I hope you're reading this, Will and Kate.

I hope so too - it's taken time to settle on these but def. my favourites.

If only I could think of something of similar quality for a boy.

I hope so too - it's taken time to settle on these but def. my favourites.

If only I could think of something of similar quality for a boy.

David Alexander or Alexander David :)

hkittybaby said:
Really nice names:flowers: hope they read this!

I like them too!

Eleanor could be called "Ella" or "Nora"... Although I think it stand nicely on its own.

In regards to "Rose" - I agree that it would be a wonderful choice. It does seem to be a nice complement to any name... I can't remember... Is Gabriella Windsor's middle name Rose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom