The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
How far down does she have control over the names? I can't imagine that she gave the go ahead for Savannah and Isla?
But Savannah and Isla aren't nearly as important, (dynastically), as William and Kate's baby will be, so I doubt the Queen felt the need to have any input with their names.
OTOH, Harry and especially William don't have as much leeway to do things completely according to personal preference and they've both spoken about times when the Queen has told them how things were or weren't going to be and it was clear she expected her advice to be taken.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Royal Highness

^^^

So you could say that the Queen had an input or opinion on the names of her grandchildren but will only expect to be consulted on the names of great-grandchildren close to the top of the line of succession ie the children of William and Harry

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

i think its not that The Queen will be the last seal of approve but she would like to share her opinion with them. i dont see nothing wrong with that
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV7 View Post
Both. Even with the Dukedom of Cambridge, he is still Prince William of Wales.
Didn't the of Wales "disappear" when he became the duke of Cambridge, the same way the future George V went from prince George of Wales to the duke of York when he got that title in 1892? George V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

I was awake last night, pondering the need to quickly name this baby! And I thought, why not name him for his Uncle Harry, who will be a big influence in his life? Maybe James Henry Michael Charles, which rolls off the tongue.
Or even Henry James Michael Charles. If they call the little fellow Henry, he won't get mixed up with Uncle Harry. However, being Henry IX does seem a bit heavy. Maybe best James Henry, and use both names so won't get mixed up with Edward's little boy James. Oh well, one does get obsessive at night when one can't sleep.
Lady Gabrielle, I do like the name Gabriella for a girl. I would like something which has a hint of tradition, but is not used a lot. And the reference to Angel Gabriel (same as Angel Michael) is stirring. In fact I would name a boy Gabriel and let the chips fall where they may. Henry Gabriel...Gabriel Henry....Can't have both Gabriel and Michael, too many angels on the head of that pin.

Here's another "different" name, Bridget, with a nod to Birgitta, Duchess of Gloucester, and honoring one of Ireland's patron saints.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Heir Apparent

lol - perhaps you need a nice milky drink!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Here's another "different" name, Bridget, with a nod to Birgitta, Duchess of Gloucester, and honoring one of Ireland's patron saints.
I'd love to see the name 'Bridget' used. It's a lovely name, and works well for a child as well as an adult.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'd love to see the name 'Bridget' used. It's a lovely name, and works well for a child as well as an adult.
I love the name too, but doubt it will happen. Nor will Morgan or, my favorite queen, Boudica or for boys Cormac, Niiall, etc. All for the same reasons.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Would the couple consider any of the the Danes for Godparents? I know the Greeks are the favorites but the Danish Royal Family have some cousins in the BRF as well

What degree of cousins are William and Frederick?
Their closest common ancestor was Christian IX of Denmark, making them 4th cousins through Prince Philip and Queen Margrethe, and 4th cousins once removed through Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe.

Through Queen Victoria, they are double 5th cousins (through Prince Philip and Queen Margrethe and through Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe).
Through Nicholas I of Russia, they are 5th cousins once removed.

Other degrees of relations exist as well but these are, to the best of my knowledge, the closest.

(Thanks to Artemisia for the relations)
They could of course select a Dane as a godparent, but unless a member of the Danish royal family is a close friend of William and Catherine I can't think of a reason why they would.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

William and Kate went to see Mary and Frederick personally (no agenda) around the time of the royal wedding in 2011. This was shortly after the birth of the Danish twins. I thought at the time, maybe Wills and Kate are getting advice on having twins. Just a wild thought.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
William and Kate went to see Mary and Frederick personally (no agenda) around the time of the royal wedding in 2011. This was shortly after the birth of the Danish twins. I thought at the time, maybe Wills and Kate are getting advice on having twins. Just a wild thought.
They did? Do you remember which article talk about it?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Never heard this one before but it sounds bogus. Why would an unmarried couple (probably the most watched in the world especially Catherine pre wedding) go to Denmark to talk about "having" twins? Surely there would have been medical advice available in the UK is one was planning on "having" twins and probably a few people they know in the UK who could talk about raising twins. I know they went late in 2011 to Denmark but that was a one day visit for UNICEF, and they probably saw a bit of each other at this years Olympics.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
i think its not that The Queen will be the last seal of approve but she would like to share her opinion with them. i dont see nothing wrong with that
Most grandmothers want some input, and she has more clout than most!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Didn't the of Wales "disappear" when he became the duke of Cambridge, the same way the future George V went from prince George of Wales to the duke of York when he got that title in 1892? George V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That was my understanding too.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If this had been the case, I'm fairly certain the Danish medias would have made us very aware of the fact that they were in the country, just like when they were here for the UNICEF thing. They weren't here around the time of the royal wedding.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Gentry

What about Sophia Dorothea? I know she never became queen, but she was the mother of George II, and Sophia was the name of George I's mother, too, although not Dorothea. Charlotte and Caroline are nice names, too.

If it's a boy, I'm hoping not George or Edward. Maybe some of the older names that haven't been used in a while, like James, Richard, or Henry.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
If it's a boy, I'm hoping not George or Edward. Maybe some of the older names that haven't been used in a while, like James, Richard, or Henry.
James, Richard and Henry have very much been used in recent times.
- Richard is the name of the Duke of Gloucester
- James is the name of Viscount Severn
- Henry is the name of Prince Harry

All three names were in use for pretty much every generation of British Royals in this century.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Nobility

I think there could be an Albert or George. The royal family hasn't had a Bertie in 60 years.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Never heard of it,would seem to be a very odd choice of conversation!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
James, Richard and Henry have very much been used in recent times.
- Richard is the name of the Duke of Gloucester
- James is the name of Viscount Severn
- Henry is the name of Prince Harry

All three names were in use for pretty much every generation of British Royals in this century.
What I meant was for a king. Since George I there have only been Georges, one William, two Edwards, Victoria, and Elizabeth.