The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Courtier

William and Catherine seem to do things with a minimum of fuss. I would guess just two sponsors. Harry and Pippa.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Van der Post however died when William was 14 so I don't know how much of a mentor he was to William . That seemed like a pick more for Charles than William.

Picking a cousin like Zara, Peter, David Linley or Sarah Chatto is a good way to honor the family without picking an immediate family member.
No one knew that at the time!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Courtier

He was pretty old in 1982. So the odds weren't with him.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Commoner

If, and its a bit of a stretch, William, and hopefully Kate, were to decide to go with two older individuals that they know/like/trust, and two younger they know/like/trust, then I would think that Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton might be the elder of the two. Kate has known Jamie for years, and it was Sarah who accompanied Kate to one of Williams airforce ceremonies. Almost certainly Tom Van Straubenzee will be one of the younger; no doubt his recent marriage to Lady Melissa Percy sat well with HMTQ. The other younger would hopefully be a Kate nominee, someone clearly Her friend, primarily, just as Tom is clearly Williams friend, primarily.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Courtier

Jamie is 53 and Sarah is 58 so it isn't like they are 70 + like Van der Post was.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Commoner

@Skippyboo. Are we arguing? or are we agreeing? True, I am less than keen on the over fifty crowd, as godparents, but these two, especially Jamie, may be the exception to the rule.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Courtier

I am agreeing that if WK want an older person Jamie and Sarah would be good because they aren't too old. Van der Post, William's godfather was 76 when named. Charles has Queen Mary and George VI as godparents if I remember.

I don't see a point of naming a really old person as a godparent to a baby if the person isn't likely to live long enough to see the baby become an adult.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Commoner

@Skippyboo. Good enough. Totally agree with your take.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Sarah is a good choice, but I think William and Kate will shock us with their choices. I could, however, be wrong and they go with very "ordinary" choices such as siblings and cousins. I do think a lot of thought will have gone into it though, and the people who have been chosen will see it as a huge honour to be selected. It's not every day you get chosen as a godparent to a future Monarch.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Care to back this statement up with fact? Usually when one makes a statement on a member of the royal family, its not unusual to be asked to provide a source.

If this is just your fabricated opinion, as you are new here, I'd suggest reading the rules we all agree to abide by here. This part in particular is very relevant here.

"Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated."
I agree with this.

You say Princess me, that Edward and Sophie wouldn't be chosen because in many years to come they will not be as important. That is not a particularly true fact when it comes to godparent selection. Perhaps you should look at William's godparents and Charles' godparents. William's godparents consist of Princess Alexandra (a distant relative, which is what Edward and Sophie would be in the future to George), who is well loved by the Queen and has worked very hard for the monarch. She may not be the most well known of Royals, but at the time of William's birth she was a bit more "famous".
Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I agree with this.

You say Princess me, that Edward and Sophie wouldn't be chosen because in many years to come they will not be as important. That is not a particularly true fact when it comes to godparent selection. Perhaps you should look at William's godparents and Charles' godparents. William's godparents consist of Princess Alexandra (a distant relative, which is what Edward and Sophie would be in the future to George), who is well loved by the Queen and has worked very hard for the monarch. She may not be the most well known of Royals, but at the time of William's birth she was a bit more "famous".
Very off-topic, but I agree.

Also, the Earl of Wessex is a great-uncle of Prince George, Princess Alexandra was "just" a first cousin twice-removed of Prince William.

In my opinion, members of the British Royal Family are much more close to each other than some people here on the forums supposes.

And I can't understand why the Earl and Countess of Wessex (or the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, the titles they'll have by then) would stop with their duties at the reign of King Charles III.

His Majesty will need people to work for "The Firm", and, as he doesn't have a bunch of children to do that, he'll need help from his siblings and sister-in-law.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Majesty

This is a thread about who might be godparents to George. As Edward is William's blood uncle and Sophie is his aunt by marriage it is reasonable to discuss the possibility of one or both of them being a godparent to George. Louise was a bridesmaid at her cousin's wedding so it is possible.

Threads don't just stay with one royal - if so then this thread is impossible as there is no way that any royal could be discussed as the other royals all have their own threads but this is potential godparents for George and there is the possibility that he will have at least one royal godparent and possibly even more.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I cant wait to see how people will react to the above "post".. The last two days about William vs Harry and now this..
I've seen some pretty odd posts in my time - heaven knows I've written some of 'em - but that one does take the biscuit!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn101 View Post
-------------
Am interested in all the royals and enjoy reading the threads and posts in the forums, but don’t understand why Prince Edward, Sophie Countess of Wessex and their PR people constantly inject themselves into other people’s threads
thanks, i needed a laugh after a long day of work

glad to know that there are not just Camilla-haters around sort of balances thimgs out a bit
Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I also notice this happens mostly with people starting to post here for the first time. A lot of this may be also because there are places out there where its the norm to trash and flame persons and ideas and opinions. Rather than starting a flame war here, most quickly notice that our moderators delete such posts and the general populace here tend to put them on the "ignore" function very quickly.

Makes me realize how hard our moderators work to keep this forum one of integrity.

Anyways... we now return you to our regularly scheduled topic....
Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Courtier

I enjoyed the various points of view with regards to familymembers as godparents, but i'm sticking with my first thought: that P.Harry is a 'sure thing'.
Other than him imo no royal family members and certainly no foreign royals, and my bet would be 4 godparents

Can't wait to find out what their choice will be :-) also really hoping for a 4 generation photo
Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Courtier

Will Prince Philip be in the four generation photo?
One might not feel him necessary since his equivalent is not present in the previous photo..
But I cannot imagine the photo without him..IMO The Queen is never complete, in anything, without him..
What do you guys think?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe they will have a photo of the four men: the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince George.

It would be awesome.

I also found this photo of Queen Victoria, and the futures Queens Alexandra and Mary, taken at the christening of the future King Edward VIII.

http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/mary_...d_victoria.jpg

Maybe we'll also see a photo of the Queen, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would think that in the photo representing four generations of monarch and future monarchs, it would just be the Queen, Charles, William and George.

I'm sure there'll be a photo taken with both the Queen and Philip in it with George. This is going to be a milestone occasion and there will be several different combinations taken but I imagine only a select few will be released to the public.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

I suppose Harry and Pippa will be strong contenders because of their closeness as family. But then, I think they should have a couple more younger royals who have been known for good behavior. The younger Kents or Gloucesters come to mind. I have no idea who is "close" to W and K among this group. I'd suggest Lady Helen Taylor for the under-fifty crowd. Zara. Peter. The Gloucester trio, Rose, Davina, Alexander. I guess Princess Margaret's children are over fifty, although otherwise good candidates. I agree that choosing godparents who will be still "in the swim" when George becomes a teenager would be wise.
But I don't know these people, just read about them here on the forums. Zara or Peter would seem like the most likely to me.