The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

Well, he is an interesting sort, I'll say that.....

Princes' friend Guy Pelly accused of drink-driving in sports car near his own nightclub | Mail Online

Look, we don't know if he is or is not a godparent, but the report circulated yesterday. Does anyone else find it odd he chose to soon thereafter release the risque video promoting his new club?
There's two ways that line of thinking can go.

1. William has asked Pelly to be a godparent and Pelly's been waiting for the news to pick up on it before releasing the video so as to capitalize on his relationship with William
2. The two reports are just a (well timed) coincidence

I'm kind of more inclined to believe the latter because I don't think William would actually ask Pelly to be a godparent. He's too controversial, too prone to scandal, and risks exposing too much of the Cambridge's private life, which we all know William doesn't like to do.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pelly's taking advantage of the fact that he's known as William's "best friend" in promoting his business. It may be that this video's release was bumped up simply because Pelly's in the news as William's friend and therefore he's taking advantage of the gossip. I'm not entirely sure if I blame him there... I mean, if people are going to gossip about you regardless, why not take advantage of it?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by renauld View Post
My post says the Duke and Duchess have know the Crown Princely couple for years and have been friends for a long time
Thanks for the correction on that. I had no idea they knew each other before the joint UNICEF engagement. I do have to admit that they'd make an excellent choice in godparenting and definitely put a bit of royal into the choices of godparents.

I'm of mixed opinion on Guy Pelly though as a godparent. Perhaps his lifestyle is more flamboyant and bohemian than most but could a lot of it be for show? If anyone knows his true nature, it'd be William and I think he's a wise enough man to know this is his son he's choosing godparents for and if he does opt to ask Pelly, there'll be good reasons for it and well thought out.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

I don't get the impression that William and Kate are that close to the other royals families. They have plenty of friends and family they can choose from for George's godparents. I guess we will see in a month or so.

The Pelly as godparent seems strange. The Cambridges are so good at keeping things quiet. A leak from their trusted circle seems suspicious
Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It doesn't seem like they've known each other for several years, in public they've met twice. Unless they do all their friendly gatherings in super super secrecy, I can see them being best buddies. A Greek royal as godparent is much more likely.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Commoner

The one thing I would really like to see is an end to choosing Greek-wanna-be-royals as godparents. They are royal has-beens. If HMTQ or anyone else insists upon a foreign royal godparent, then go for the real McCoy.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
The one thing I would really like to see is an end to choosing Greek-wanna-be-royals as godparents. They are royal has-beens. If HMTQ or anyone else insists upon a foreign royal godparent, then go for the real McCoy.
The Greek royals are the closest foreign royal relations to the current BRF. If they're chosen it won't be because they're royal but because they're family.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Constantine is William's godfather and William is godfather to Pavlos' eldest son. They are also relatives of Philip. Constantine's wife is the sister of Denmark's queen so they have royal blood on both sides.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The Greek royals are the closest foreign royal relations to the current BRF. If they're chosen it won't be because they're royal but because they're family.
Exactly. How much more "real McCoy" can you get than Grandpa's side of the family?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That's just insulting and rather ignorant IMO
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Reaching out to foreign royal families for godparents is more of a continental thing to do. The BRF seem quite content to select godparents from amongst their own relations and friends. If it is a foreign royal then the Greeks would have the inside track since they largely live in London and attend BRF family events, both public and private, so are well known to the family,
Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Can you imagine the press going crazy if CP Mary was chosen as a godmother lol. (not out of the realm of possibility)
Its possible. Perhaps Pavlos and Mary as one set of godparents? That'd cover the royal angle nicely. Definitely think Harry and Pippa will be another set. If the rumors are true and one is Guy Pelly, who are they going to team him up with? It wouldn't surprise me if Beatrice is chosen to stand up as godmother with Pelly. In fact, I do think Beatrice is a very strong contender as godmother. She's always seemed to be quite close with both William and Harry.

Another choice I think that could get the presses into overdrive is if they asked Laura Lopes as godmother. Its within the realm of possibility for me as William and Kate were close enough to Laura to ask her daughter to be part of their wedding party. I think it'd be a beautiful gesture.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Serene Highness

I think that Bea is closer to Harry than William. William to me seem closer to Peter and Zara than his York cousins. There is only a year difference in age between William and Zara and there is 6 years between him and Beatrice.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
My post says the Duke and Duchess have know the Crown Princely couple for years and have been friends for a long time. They appear to be friends.
And they have excellent manners.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Commoner

I stand by my comment that the Greeks are not royal, nor have they been for two full generations. They were kicked out of Greece several decades ago.

Good foreign, and truly royal godparents, would include Crown Prince Haakon and his wife, of Norway, and King Willem-Alexander and his wife, of the Netherlands. I propose them because they appear to possess the one thing wanting in the BRF, personal integrity, and I would like the very best for George.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I stand by my comment that the Greeks are not royal, nor have they been for two full generations. They were kicked out of Greece several decades ago.

Good foreign, and truly royal godparents, would include Crown Prince Haakon and his wife, of Norway, and King Willem-Alexander and his wife, of the Netherlands. I propose them because they appear to possess the one thing wanting in the BRF, personal integrity, and I would like the very best for George.
Little George's godparents do not have to be royal, and royal does not automatically mean 'the very best'...
Sounds like a Disney version of a baptism you're thinking of
Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The point being made about why someone from the Greek royal family would be chosen over any of the other European royalty is that the Greek royal family (deposed or not) are family. Prior to his marriage to the then Princess Elizabeth, the DoE was Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark. As mentioned earlier, there is a history in the BRF of having Greek relatives as godparents.

I don't believe that William and Kate will choose any of the godparents solely on the basis that they are royal but because they are family and/or close friends. Being a godparent is not something that is doled out like a order given by The Queen or a lifetime peerage
Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Commoner

Osipi, I have nothing against godparents chosen because they are family or close friends, altho I have a personal preference for those possessing personal integrity. And if a foreign royal family possesses that, then I say humbly ask them if they would be willing to stand as godparents for George. If close family members or friends suit, then ask them. The point is to secure the very best for George.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

I agree with Empress Jo in that the godparents chosen by the future Defender of the Faith for the next Defender of the Faith can't be just any old person Will and Kate like. It should be one with a bit of integrity. That said, I'm sure they can find six or so people in Britain with integrity if they don't chose to look internationally.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

A Republic can't revoke the royal status from someone. The Greek Royal Family is as Royal as they were in 1973, that's why they are still referred to their titles at Royal Courts all over the world.

I'm sorry, but it is not up to you to decide who is Royal or not. In fact, for the Royals, once you are a Royal, you'll always be a Royal.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Serene Highness

Richard Kay in the Mail has Guy Pelly denying he is going to be one of George's godparents. They also used a photo in the story of Guy and Harry and they look like teenagers. You would they could find a more recent photo.