The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Commoner

@AdmirerUS I expect that I will eventually get over the weirdness of communicating with an unknown entity via the internet. But not yet.
Thanks, nevertheless, for your reply. And for not scaring me off this forum. So which Windsors, of import, do you think exhibit a sense of fair play.... IMO, these consist of minor royals, such as, perhaps, and always subject to revision, Peter and Zara Phillips and Prince Edward--possibly Sophie, altho she has her own agenda, I fear.
I do think that its time for senior royals to stop interfering in the private lives of family members. And that means they should butt out regarding the selection of godparents for little George.
But they won't. I fully expect that Kate, and her wishes, will be ignored.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
@AdmirerUS I expect that I will eventually get over the weirdness of communicating
I just have more faith about the BRF (who are generally harmless, if costly) - and do do know they ALL have their own agendas. But then, so do I

I think the Queen has improved with age. So has Charles. Neither is egalitarian - but they have improved. Anne cracks me up and while her nose can rise in the air, she does see through lackeys and has been known to do for herself. Just look at her hair I find Camilla to be a real person and while she loves to dress up in the jewels, her scuffed heels tell me she does not want a royal boot brusher. She's also happy to run off and be in her (non-royal) home with her non-royal family. Sophie and Edward have made strong non-royal choices for their children. I'd love to sit at a pub with Zara, Mike, Harry and William - and I have convinced myself that they would enjoy my self deprecating but well informed conversation. I know, dream on.

I don't want to argue this - these are just my opinions. My Royal cup is half full these days as I have seen it far meaner in the past.

I save my true despair for war and genocide. If you go and look at my post on the Syria thread you will wonder why I have not already passed through this veil of tears. But then, given the way things are headed in the world, many of us soon may.

“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Commoner

@AdmirerUS I will search for the Syria thread. Thanks for your opinions, and, like yourself, I have little appetite for argument/nastiness; I prefer friendly, open conversation.
However, I would point out that you appear to be an American, with little vested interest in the BRF, whereas I am a Canadian and, like it or not, HMTQ is my Queen and my Head of State. I pay for her, and for every member of her family, whenever they visit my country, which they frequently do.
Nevertheless, you are quite correct to save your despair for war and genocide. So do I.
In the meantime, I fully expect the BRF to ignore Kate, and her wishes, regarding the choice of godparents. I am into realism, not fantasy, not pessimism. And we shall soon find out if Im right.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
In the meantime, I fully expect the BRF to ignore Kate, and her wishes, regarding the choice of godparents. I am into realism, not fantasy, not pessimism. And we shall soon find out if Im right.
I seriously doubt that. I imagine at least one of her close family members will be a godparent. I can't see William allowing anyone to ignore her wishes here, and as we've seen many times, this couple is very determined to make sure her family remains a big part of her life.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Commoner

@ HRHHermoine, @renauld I sincerely hope that you are both correct. However, I would enter a proviso, re your opinions. I would like Kate to receive one-third representation, re godparents. Not a miserly one out of, for example, six. It pretty much goes without saying--yet, here I am saying it--that Kate will not receive equal representation, a 50/50 split.
But, why argue when all we have to do is wait.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
@ HRHHermoine, @renauld I sincerely hope that you are both correct. However, I would enter a proviso, re your opinions. I would like Kate to receive one-third representation, re godparents. Not a miserly one out of, for example, six. It pretty much goes without saying--yet, here I am saying it--that Kate will not receive equal representation, a 50/50 split.
But, why argue when all we have to do is wait.
I think possibly you're looking for tension that isn't there. This couple has been together for over 10 years, and many of the people in their lives matter to both of them.

For example, you'd probably count the Countess of Wessex as coming from the Windsors, but Kate is close to her as well.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Courtier

I don't think the Queen, Philip or Charles are dictating potential godparents to the Cambridges. We know that when the wedding was being planned William was given a guest list drawn up by BP. When he asked the queen if he had to follow it, the queen said to tear it up and start with their friends.

Kate has a relatively small family 2 siblings and 2 adult cousin and 1 underage cousin. Wills has a sibling, 4 adult cousins and 2 underage cousins plus more adult cousins on his mom's side.

Plus with the length their relationship and them going to the same university, they have a lot of mutual friends. People like Sam Whaley Cohen, Holly Branson or St Andrews housemate Fergus Boyd.

I think they will pick as godparents people that George can go to and get support and help as he grows up. As a previous poster mentioned Sophie Wessex would count if we are counting from Will's side but she is probably closer to Kate then William is since the Windsor wives plus Adm Tim are always put together at events.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Commoner

i get what Empress Jo is coming from: Even if you take into account their mutual friends, they both have childhood friends that they would want to maybe choose from before mutual friends. So do we see it being they each get to pick two of their childhood friends and then two mutual friends/family members? Like i'm sure will is going to choose from Guy P, James M, or Tom Van S, while Kate's childhood friends are Sophie C, Trini F, and Emilia JP. Are do they go with only mutual friends/family members they are both close to? I don't think its looking for tension to say that based on past examples the mothers side/wishes are sometimes not as represented as the fathers. jmo
Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

My guess is they get to pick whomever they want. It is not like there is an actual job that goes with being a godparent. These people will never be guardians for baby George. At most they will be expected to come up with nice christening gifts and then birthday and Christmas gifts and in return they will be invited to important events in Georges life like major birthdays, confirmation, wedding etc.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Courtier

Guy Pelly to be Prince George's godfather - hellomagazine.com
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
My guess is they get to pick whomever they want. It is not like there is an actual job that goes with being a godparent. These people will never be guardians for baby George. At most they will be expected to come up with nice christening gifts and then birthday and Christmas gifts and in return they will be invited to important events in Georges life like major birthdays, confirmation, wedding etc.
I agree. This is more of an honorary position, but the biggest problem is that there is a limited number. I can see 6 or 8 but 10 would be ridiculous. If I were them, I would be tempted to go for prestige and choose high profile royals. That would make it easier to explain to disappointed school friends and relatives. It will be interesting to see how William and Catherine handle it.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by renauld View Post
For godparents I predict CP Pavlos of Greece, Peter Philips and Hugh van Cutsem and Princess Beatrice along with CP Mary of Denmark and Bella Waley-Cohen
I have read that the Cambridges are friends with CP Fred and CP Mary.
The inclusion of CP Mary and CP Pavlos is fitting in my opinion because Prince George is a member of the House of Glucksburg.
Where did you read that the Cambridges were friends with the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark? I know they all met once, in Denmark, in November of 2011 for a UNICEF event, but that's it. In any case, I don't think they'll be chosen as godparents, because British royals don't exactly shmooze with the royals from the Continent.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

The DM is claiming that William has asked Guy Pelly, who is supposedly thrilled.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Is this the same Guy Pelly:

Prince George's Godfather Guy Pelly Makes X-Rated Video - IBTimes UK

If so, we are amused!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness

Choosing "high profile royals" doesn't seem to be in keeping with the way William and Kate have presented themselves to the world (or lived their daily lives) so far.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Is this the same Guy Pelly:

Prince George's Godfather Guy Pelly Makes X-Rated Video - IBTimes UK

If so, we are amused!
Interesting article, Giraffe.

It seems to be operating under the assumption that Pelly has been confirmed as a godparent.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by renauld View Post
William and Kate receive congratulatory call from Denmark's Frederik and Mary | Royal Central

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. They just seem like they may be close friends, under the radar.
The way I see it is that the two couples have something in common and have joined together to aid and support UNICEF and spent some time together. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship but I don't think its the "stop on over for pizza and beer and play a few rounds of poker" type.... yet. I just see it as a good professional working relationship so far but until we are told otherwise, we won't know.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Interesting article, Giraffe.

It seems to be operating under the assumption that Pelly has been confirmed as a godparent.
Well, he is an interesting sort, I'll say that.....

Princes' friend Guy Pelly accused of drink-driving in sports car near his own nightclub | Mail Online

Look, we don't know if he is or is not a godparent, but the report circulated yesterday. Does anyone else find it odd he chose to soon thereafter release the risque video promoting his new club?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The way I see it is that the two couples have something in common and have joined together to aid and support UNICEF and spent some time together. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship but I don't think its the "stop on over for pizza and beer and play a few rounds of poker" type.... yet. I just see it as a good professional working relationship so far but until we are told otherwise, we won't know.
Mary is also godparent to the future Queen of Sweden, who has Mary in one of her four names. Wouldn't it be something if she went from simple Aussie girl to godmother of kings???
Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Mary is also godparent to the future Queen of Sweden, who has Mary in one of her four names. Wouldn't it be something if she went from simple Aussie girl to godmother of kings???
Hmmm.. and perhaps do a wee bit of matchmaking in the future between George and Estelle? What better start to a relationship than "My godmother is your godmother too. How bout it?"